62% The Maze Runner Sep 19

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

To The Wonder Reviews

April 1, 2014
I give it props for very beautiful photography, which I saw on blu-ray which was worth it.
March 29, 2014
Not a perfect film but one of those "minor" works that all great directors have in their oeuvres, works that still demonstrate their talent and individuality, and which may fill in some gaps for auteur theorists, but somehow the films don't quite succeed. Terrence Malick's follow up to The Tree of Life is equally impressionistic and in some ways just as inaccessible. This is a film of beautiful images and sequences, with an astonishing use of light in all its forms (dappled, streaming, sparkling, taken during the magic hour or not). There is little dialogue, although we sometimes overhear a phrase or two. Instead, we are kept at a distance as mere observers of Ben Affleck's relationship with Olga Kurylenko (and his brief affair with Rachel McAdams). Nevertheless, we can easily piece together what happens in their lives, from Paris to Oklahoma, on again and off again. A subplot involving Catholic priest Javier Bardem who is possibly losing his faith (just as Ben and Olga struggle with theirs) doesn't quite gel with everything else but clues us in to the spiritual themes that Malick is working with (also evoked by his use of light and of nature's majesty). So, even though everything doesn't cohere nicely, the brushstrokes here still paint a picture of beauty and, yes, wonder, at the availability of rich emotional experiences in this life.
March 26, 2014
I expected a lot more from this movie being directed by the amazing Terrence Malick, however I was disappointed in both the storyline and the acting. I didn't find a chemistry between Affleck & Kurylenko and felt that the part with McAdams was just to try and spice it up, I only liked how Marina was embracing life and how she was almost always happy.
All in all, the 3 stars are for Malick's ability to capture every little detail and the scenes that show the beauty of nature & relate it to the story.
March 24, 2014
Embole y muy larga y lenta.
No la recomiendo.
March 6, 2014
"To the Wonder" is a dreamy, moody, somber, ethereal companion piece to "The Tree of Life" (by design it feels like a natural evolution or exploration of that films ideas, perhaps not standing on it's own as well as it should). It features a mesmerizing performance from Olga Kurylenko. Part family drama, part romance, part silent epic, part tone poem, part religious exploration, the film eschews narrative (in a manner more deliberate and obvious than any of Malick's previous films), intent instead on stripping away layers to lay bare emotion in its rawest and and most aching form. Lovely.
March 4, 2014
all style, no substance...
Anthony L

February 26, 2014
The Tree of Life was dreamlike, To the Wonder is just sleep-inducive. Is legendary director Terrance Malick going for existential? Is the film supposed to be melancholic? If so he really should watch more French films and have a word with Lars von Trier because he needs to up his game. Is the cinematography a ghostly vision of reality? A dreamlike representation of the human soul perhaps? Or is it just more swoopy wobbly camera action because Mr Malick can't do anything else. The story is a shambles. It's easy, lazy even. The illusion of depth. To the Wonder by Calvin Klein.
September 10, 2012
Terrence Malick shows further mastery of evocation within the film medium. While less ambitious than 'The Tree of Life', 'To the Wonder' manages to stun by following each simple strand of its story down to its deepest emotional roots.
February 25, 2014
It proves that heart break is always a metaphysical wound gushing its blood upwards.
February 24, 2014
Visually ravishing, as one would expect from Terrence Malick. but, To The Wonder makes no attempt to connect with the audience and is a narrative disappointment.
February 15, 2014
desde que terrence malick hizo el arbol de la vida, parace tener una inclinacion masturbatoria por hacer peliculas aburridas
February 7, 2014
Nothing short of a miracle. Reliably poetic with a flair for gorgeous scenery, Terrence Malick has crafted a masterpiece of dramatic, arthouse cinema that explores love, loss, freedom, and, in many respects, and similar to 2011s Tree of Life, what it means to be alive. I loved To The Wonder so much that I am afraid to attempt to put it into words for fear of constraining it. My feelings are bursting through me and to communicate them shy of baring my mind would be to clip their wings. This is definitely one of my favorites of all time.
February 9, 2014
We should not be exiting a Terrence Malick movie with a shrug, but there it is. I say SKIP IT!!!
August 17, 2013
While To the Wonder is a technically proficient and beautifully shot film, it felt like a recapitulation of Malick's Tree of Life without the sense of wonder and great characters that made that film so special. To the Wonder just feels stale in comparison. Maybe Malick should wait longer between his films like he once did.
Ayu K.
February 7, 2014
From the beginning, I feel confused. Completely.
August 8, 2013
No it isn't the best Terrence Malick film I've seen, but it is still a very beautiful exploration of love. It has slightly more dialogue than "Tree Of Life" and it has an equally ambiguous ending.
His movies are bound to bring many different interpretations from its viewers. But I think I see Malick trying to show the difference between seeing love as an emotion, and seeing love as a duty. Because how you view love will basically reflect in the way in which you give it.

Javier Bardem's monologue (edited in the official trailer) basically sums up what this movie is about. He is a priest having a crisis of faith, and yet he continues to do what he is called to do, which is love. He may be struggling, but he does not stop. He calls on God to help him.

Contrast this with the love affair between Neil and Jane, Neil and Marina, then Neil and Jane, and then back (yet again) to Neil and Marina. When the characters aren't "feeling" each other, when things are too stressful and tiresome, they seem to kind of flit about to fleeting relationships/flings with other people. They encompass the "love as an emotion" viewpoint, and it often seems like they make each other absolutely miserable because of this. The movie makes us think about loving each other in the way God loves us, which is unconditionally and unchanging.
Dave J
January 17, 2014
Friday, January 17, 2014

(2013) To The Wonder
DRAMA

Another no plot movie from Terence Malick and in my opinion, much easier to relate than his previous film "Tree Of Life" released in 2011 which the two films are made almost exactly the same way, since this film is much more "current" rather than taking a portion of it's time during a time I don't know too much about which is the 1950's or 1960's. The very thin storyline involving the relationship between a young man Neil(Ben Affleck) and Marina (Olga Kurylenko) a lady he fell in love with during his trip to Paris is obviously used as a backdrop to the calendar/ national geographical imagery which is what is really defining this movie. Like "Tree Of Life" every frame can be used as a calendar or to be used as part of a storyboard of a photography book. Rachael McAdams also stars as Jane the third person involved in Neil's life. The other thing that's quite remarkable is the fact that both actors Olga Kurylenko and Javier Bardem as Father Quintana are allowed to at times to speak their natural languages where they initially come from which is French and Spanish.

3 out of 4 stars
April 21, 2013
Stunning and thoughtful, but ultimately lacking storytelling....
March 1, 2013
I've wrestled with a lot of movies so far into 2013 -- "The Place Beyond the Pines", "Upstream Color", "Spring Breakers", "Side Effects" -- but none more so than Terrence Malick's scrappy followup and pseudo-companion piece to his 2011 masterpiece "The Tree of Life", "To the Wonder". It's been booed at Cannes (but really, what hasn't been?) and sent up shit creek by critics and fans alike. Do I prefer "TTW" over "TOL"? Hell no. I have in my short life been part of few celebratory movie trends as the latter so incited. It's as great a movie as Malick has ever made.

But to be fair, "To the Wonder" isn't as ambitious as "The Tree of Life". Its Ben Affleck love triangle -- that starts in France with single mom Olga Kurylenko and moves to Oklahoma with Affleck's old flame Rachel McAdams -- is more in the vein of abstract wheat fields of Malick's second feature "Days of Heaven" than the three-hour opuses with which he's really made a name for himself as a true master. In hindsight "To the Wonder" still won't be seen as staggering, but it's very much a Terrence Malick film, awash in lightness, darkness, and a sense of godlike fury that borders on the religious. Plot-based or otherwise, at the core of Malick's visions of grace and form set against canvases prone to savagery and characters to spurts of violence -- be it streaked with veins of stars, the veins of drug addicts or the drive-through window of a Sonic restaurant -- is a sense of shear, unshakable cinematic discovery. Malick's films have always cultivated the struggle of giving yourself up to a higher power. "To the Wonder", perhaps more than any other Malick work to date, feels open-ended and unfinished, maybe because it's asking you to let go, and get lost, and to connect.

At one point in "To the Wonder", someone says "Life's a dream. In dream you can't make mistakes. In dream you can be whatever you want." Not WHOever -- WHATever. Attuned to sound, vision and feeling.

Shitheads. (89/100)