42% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

Tombstone Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 1, 2013
I was very much looking forward in seeing Tombstone as I had heard plenty of good things about it, I eventually was able to see this one, and although it is not the best Western as what everyone has claimed, this is still an entertaining action film with some good performances. Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer deliver the best performances here along with Powers Booth and they all bring something worthwhile to the screen. Tombstone is far from the old Sergio Leone Westerns, which were epic in scope and storytelling. This is a movie that tends to be more action oriented than give the viewer a straight forward well layered plot that you can really get into. It's not a bad thing, but it does make you want more out of this movie. Overall this is a good movie, but one that does fall short of many other Westerns that we've seen before. Luckily Director George P. Cosmatos keeps the action thrilling and interesting and you are well entertained for its two hour run time. If you love the genre, Tombstone is worth checking out, but be warned, it is far from the classic Westerns, and it does lack the effective storytelling and immaculate performances that have made the old school Westerns such a treat to watch. However for a straight forward Western action film, Tombstone delivers good action and is a fun movie, but it does leave a lot to be desired. It is not the movie that could have been, and it could have been improved upon. With a good cast of talented actors, Tombstone is a fun popcorn film, but it doesn't rank up there with the best Westerns movies either. There are still enough gun fights in the film to entertain the most devoted fan of the genre. Tombstone for all its faults is a fun ride.
Dan S

October 20, 2007
Western concerning the legendary hero Wyatt Earp (Kurt Russell) who wants to start over with his brothers (Sam Elliot, Bill Paxton) in a new town, only to run into a group of outlaws who will do anything to stifle his desire to begin a new life. Average Western is mostly an interesting combination of facial hair (with Russell's ridiculous mustache winning the prize) and a laughably awful love subplot (somehow trying to romanticize Earp for CHEATING ON HIS WIFE), but the charm and blazing gun battles especially in its last half hour keep it watchable. Acting is pretty decent, with Val Kilmer taking the cake as Earp's friend Doc Holliday, for whenever he's on screen this thing becomes ten times more interesting. Not even close to the best Westerns ever made, but certainly entertaining enough to stick with it, even if it is Hollywoodized at times to a sometimes unbearable degree.
garyX
garyX

November 12, 2006
Hollywood once again retells the story of the legendary lawman, this time in the guise of Kurt Russell. Add Val Kilmer, Sam Neill, and Bill Paxton into the mix and what you get doesn't exactly scream "A list" but what you do have is an ensemble cast that gels particularly well; this is one of those films that manages to be more than the sum of its parts. The bond of brotherhood and friendship between the Earps and Doc Holliday feels genuine and Kilmer clearly relishes the scene stealing part of sickly gentleman adrenaline junkie Holliday. Powers Booth and Michael Biehn also make charismatic villains, the scenes between Biehn and Kilmer being particularly sharp and the Peckinpahesque shoot outs extremely well staged. In fact the shoot out at the OK corral is one of the best versions yet filmed. It does occasionally slip into melodrama (Morgan's death being the prime example) and the climax is a little montage happy and feels a little rushed as a result, but it's a great slice of old school popular entertainment that's a lot more engaging than Kevin Costner's pompous yawnfest released the same year.
Eric A

August 9, 2011
The acting and cinematography is great. An awesome western!
Apeneck F

July 19, 2007
The movie is based on a novel entirely meant to mythologize Wyatt Earp...and this work agrees. From the first reel to the last we see more monument than man, and that's okay. Unlike the westerns of Sergio Leone wherein everything is dusty and dirty this is the suburban West and even the dirt is clean here. Val Kilmer's Doc Holiday is the wild card and he steals every scene he's in.
skactopus
skactopus

March 14, 2007
Congratulations to George P. Cosmatos because Tombstone is one fine Western.With a run time just past 2 hours, this film may seem long, but there is enough material in the story to occupy every minute of it. There is great emphasis on the story and characters, while it is obvious that the action takes a back seat to it all. This isn't to say that the film is boring because it isn't. The dialogue is well written and the characters are a blast to watch.The Western style gunfights show up at opportune times and they are nicely done, especially the standoff near the end. The sound effects and soundtrack compliment these sequences as well.The ensemble cast is rock solid. The likes of Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, Powers Boothe, Michael Biehn, Sam Elliot, Stephen Lang, Dana Delany, etc. all fit well into this Western setting. Val Kilmer is absolutely fantastic and is a scene stealer throughout the entire picture. Stephen Lang is notable for creating an absolutely unlikable character.All that's left to say is that in the Western genre, Tombstone is a must see. "That's a fact."
Flutie A

June 6, 2007
The quintessential Western...Kurt Russell is great, but Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday steals it. Who assembled this cast?! Wow..Great movie!
Conner R

March 1, 2010
Definitely better than Wyatt Earp, but that doesn't really say much. The acting from Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer is basically what this movie has going for it. Michael Biehn was a laughable villain, the only bad guy you can take seriously is Powers Boothe because he's just so naturally awesome. In no way does it capture the western genre, but it was a nice try. After all is said and done, it's a fun movie but nothing more.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 24, 2009
Forced to watch it. Not as bad as I thought it would be.
middleeasternfilms
middleeasternfilms

May 17, 2008
Take a classic western story, turn it into a love and revenge tale and add an ensemble cast and you've got Tombstone. Val Kilmer was pretty good in this, but for some reason I just couldn't get into Kurt Russell in the lead as Wyatt Earp. Sam Elliott and Bill Paxton were supremely awesome in this, though, as was Powers Boothe, whom I also loved on Deadwood.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 8, 2009
Tombstone is one of the very few Movies I hardly remember but I know I have seen it.
Anthony L

September 23, 2009
Liked it better than Wyatt Earp. I think, I get them mixed up! Val Kilmer's Doc performance is brilliant!
Al S

October 13, 2006
A spectacular western picture. Remarkably made and performed. One of the of the greatest westerns ever made. A powerful, riveting and absolutly magnificent movie ride. Kilmer and Russel have never been better. Kurt Russel gives a powerhouse performance. Val Kilmer is sensational. A great movie hands down no questions. A riveting and exhilerating action-packed adventure.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

April 22, 2007
Another classic modern-day western. Terrific performances all around.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

March 2, 2008
I love Val, Kurt Russell is aight, part of the 90's series of Westerns.
Stephen M

January 28, 2008
I've always got plenty of time for Bill Paxton, Kurt Russell, Powers Boothe, Sam Elliott and Michael Rooker, but I don't think it's uncharitable to say that "Tombstone" has a B-list cast. Basically, its just 'The Gunfight at the OK Corral' retold for the "Young Guns" generation. It isn't great but, as a Western fan, beggars can't be choosers these days. Not a patch on John Ford's "My Darling Clementine", John Sturges' "Gunfight at the OK Corral" or Lawrence Kasdan's "Wyatt Earp", to name just three other versions of this hoary old yarn. Nice to see cameos from veterans Charlton Heston and Harry Carey, Jr, though.
Daniel J D

July 24, 2007
Val Kilmer did an incredible job here, probably his best ever. Great lines, too. Kurt Russell just seemed a bit too intense and overacted.

Even though the movie was just over 2 hours, it seemed longer, especially the first 30 minutes of the movie. They seemed rather cheesy and unneeded, but I guess this IS a western so go figure.

The music score was awful, but I've heard worse in movies that i otherwise enjoyed (i.e. Major Payne and Silence of the Lambs).
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 3, 2007
val kilmer as doc hooliday might be the best acting performance of all time and the film is so good that i have seen this at least 10 times and it never gets old. a great western.