27% The Other Woman Apr 25

Too Late for Tears (Killer Bait) Reviews

rubystevens
rubystevens

August 9, 2008
wow what a performance by lizabeth scott! well she's a little less wooden than usual anyway. mild mannered housewife morphs into psychotic killer when a suitcase full of cash lands in her car. it's a shame this film isn't better known. it's public domain and not in the best condition. there were some really abrupt cuts in the version i saw. i hope this gets a restoration one day. lizabeth deserves it!
Stephen M

March 12, 2011
If you value your life, don't come between Lizabeth Scott and her money!
AJ V

September 5, 2010
An exciting, thrilling tale of money, crime, and marriage. I really liked this movie.
william b.
March 23, 2014
Lizabeth Scott should have won an AA.
Luke W.
January 5, 2014
Interesting story with quite a few twists and turns.
September 12, 2012
Unfortunately, one of the slowest and, thus, least thrilling noir films. Too Late for Tears covers the story of a ruthless dame, driven by sheer greed. After a bag full of money ends up in her and her husband's car during a ride, and he intends to leave the money in a locker and forget about the whole story, Jane goes on a rampage. First, she 'accidentally' shoots him while on a boat, and then she plays a risky game with the actual owner of the little fortune. She doesn't want to share, she doesn't want to leave any clues, so she smartly plans the whole intrigue and realizes that there might be a chance of her leaving with the bag all by herself. However, as the viewer quickly finds out, her husband's sister, aided by a suspicious character, find out about her deeds. Lizabeth Scott is brilliant as the femme fatale.
August 18, 2011
I gotta say, "Too Late for Tears" aka "Killer Bait" is one of my favorite film noirs! Jane and Allen (Scott and Kennedy) are a bickering couple who's world is rocked when a case with almost a million dollars lands in their car. Allen wants to hand it over to the police, but Jane wants to keep it. When he won't give in to it, she kills him in anger (which is not a spoiler). From then on, she'll do anything to keep her paws on the loot, even if she has to cheat and kill along the way. . . I can definitely call myself a huge film noir fan, and after seeing so many I can say Lizabeth Scott is my favorite actress in the genre. By now, she had made very important noir pictures including "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers", "Dead Reckoning" and, "I Walk Alone". All of them have been good, but this one has got to be my favorite. "Too Late for Tears" was originally released in 1949, and then re-released in 1955 as "Killer Bait", therefore explaining the two names. I can imagine both times, audiences really liked it, as I did. Unlike most film noirs, Scott is the lead AND the femme fatale, when usually the woman is a sidekick or supporting character. It's such a nice change of pace, considering how great Scott's performance is. This has got to be one of her best-- she's usually pretty wooden, but here is so entertaining and two- faced as Jane. I loved every second I saw of her. Duryea is also one of my favorites, and did not disappoint me here, even though this is more of a type-casted role. His weird lispy, whiny way of talking confined him to film noir, which is not a problem. His voice might be strange, but is somehow menacing in his shady character. He and Scott might not have the best chemistry, but are very good as partners in crime. It's great to see them in a film together because this twosome provides quite a big amount of entertainment. "Too Late for Tears" is a excellent movie, and it's a shame that it's confined to the "save" category.
David H.
January 17, 2011
Great Film Noir Lizabeth Scott is a real devilish Femme Fatale
jazza923
September 13, 2008
6.5/10. I am not sure what it is about Lizbeth Scott, but I find her fascinating. Dan Duryea is terrific as the heavy. Saucy dialogue, a fine film noir. Good photography. Entertaining.