61% The Maze Runner Sep 19

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Too Late for Tears (Killer Bait) Reviews

August 21, 2014
Randomly found on youtube, and what a find. Classic noir that's a lot of fun to watch, especially for the ruthless Lizabeth Scott as the femme fatale. It's on the cheap side, some of the cuts in scenes early on are draw-droppingly bad but thankfully this amateurishness melts away after the first half. Dan Duryea plays the private dick type character but Don DeFore is actually loads better as the criminal whose bungling caused the whole affair. In fact he's probably the best actor in the whole film. Good stuff.
July 27, 2014
I like old Film Noirs, and this one is ok, I suppose. It starts off quite boring and slightly unbelievable, ending up so convoluted it becomes almost farcical. The drawbacks with this film are manifold - the lead actors aren't great, the print I saw was so grey and blurry you could hardly see what was happening and the plot all happens in the second half. Despite these shortcomings, it's perfectly watchable and almost enjoyable. 6.75/10
June 28, 2014
Combine the great performances of Dan Duryea and Lizabeth Scott with a storyline containing more twists and turns than a rollercoaster and you have this undervalued gem of a "B' grade noir. Highly recommended!
May 15, 2014
A very entertaining 1949 film noir starring Lizabeth Scott as a femme fatale and Dan Dureya and a good supporting cast
william b.
March 23, 2014
Lizabeth Scott should have won an AA.
Luke W.
January 5, 2014
Interesting story with quite a few twists and turns.
September 19, 2013
A pretty straightforward story about a woman who won't let anyone get between her and her money.
October 20, 2012
Money hungry Lisbeth Scott will kill as many men as she needs to in order to keep the proceeds of a blackmail scheme she happens upon one dark night. Scott is a kind of second-rate Lauren Bacall and the male leads are all similarly wooden. The DVD transfer I viewed is very poor quality with the abruptness in transitions between scenes suggesting that some of the original film stock may have been lost. Still it's not a bad noir with pretty brisk pacing. One of six in the budget collection '5 Star Film Noir.'
September 30, 2012
Nothing ever happens.
September 12, 2012
Unfortunately, one of the slowest and, thus, least thrilling noir films. Too Late for Tears covers the story of a ruthless dame, driven by sheer greed. After a bag full of money ends up in her and her husband's car during a ride, and he intends to leave the money in a locker and forget about the whole story, Jane goes on a rampage. First, she 'accidentally' shoots him while on a boat, and then she plays a risky game with the actual owner of the little fortune. She doesn't want to share, she doesn't want to leave any clues, so she smartly plans the whole intrigue and realizes that there might be a chance of her leaving with the bag all by herself. However, as the viewer quickly finds out, her husband's sister, aided by a suspicious character, find out about her deeds. Lizabeth Scott is brilliant as the femme fatale.
February 16, 2012
Thriller a couple get a bag of money accidentally thrown into a car that results in dire occurances. Turns the wife into a killer.
razvascr
March 3, 2008
Greatest Femmes Fatales in Classic Film Noir
August 18, 2011
I gotta say, "Too Late for Tears" aka "Killer Bait" is one of my favorite film noirs! Jane and Allen (Scott and Kennedy) are a bickering couple who's world is rocked when a case with almost a million dollars lands in their car. Allen wants to hand it over to the police, but Jane wants to keep it. When he won't give in to it, she kills him in anger (which is not a spoiler). From then on, she'll do anything to keep her paws on the loot, even if she has to cheat and kill along the way. . . I can definitely call myself a huge film noir fan, and after seeing so many I can say Lizabeth Scott is my favorite actress in the genre. By now, she had made very important noir pictures including "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers", "Dead Reckoning" and, "I Walk Alone". All of them have been good, but this one has got to be my favorite. "Too Late for Tears" was originally released in 1949, and then re-released in 1955 as "Killer Bait", therefore explaining the two names. I can imagine both times, audiences really liked it, as I did. Unlike most film noirs, Scott is the lead AND the femme fatale, when usually the woman is a sidekick or supporting character. It's such a nice change of pace, considering how great Scott's performance is. This has got to be one of her best-- she's usually pretty wooden, but here is so entertaining and two- faced as Jane. I loved every second I saw of her. Duryea is also one of my favorites, and did not disappoint me here, even though this is more of a type-casted role. His weird lispy, whiny way of talking confined him to film noir, which is not a problem. His voice might be strange, but is somehow menacing in his shady character. He and Scott might not have the best chemistry, but are very good as partners in crime. It's great to see them in a film together because this twosome provides quite a big amount of entertainment. "Too Late for Tears" is a excellent movie, and it's a shame that it's confined to the "save" category.
rubystevens
rubystevens

August 9, 2008
wow what a performance by lizabeth scott! well she's a little less wooden than usual anyway. mild mannered housewife morphs into psychotic killer when a suitcase full of cash lands in her car. it's a shame this film isn't better known. it's public domain and not in the best condition. there were some really abrupt cuts in the version i saw. i hope this gets a restoration one day. lizabeth deserves it!
Stephen M

March 12, 2011
If you value your life, don't come between Lizabeth Scott and her money!
David H.
January 17, 2011
Great Film Noir Lizabeth Scott is a real devilish Femme Fatale
AJ V

September 5, 2010
An exciting, thrilling tale of money, crime, and marriage. I really liked this movie.
jazza923
September 13, 2008
6.5/10. I am not sure what it is about Lizbeth Scott, but I find her fascinating. Dan Duryea is terrific as the heavy. Saucy dialogue, a fine film noir. Good photography. Entertaining.
March 3, 2008
Woman getting one-upped is like the most awesome theme in any noir film. Personally, watching this, I now have a secret attraction for Byron Haskin. This is his second film I've watched and it was sweet. I love the acting and the lines the most, it makes you want to laugh amid the chaos and tragedy and troubles.