97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

Top Gun Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

September 20, 2007
Top Gun is a really good film, and is well worth watching. It is entertaining to watch, as something is always happening. Tom Cruise plays Maverick, a cocky pilot, who goes to Top Gun - for the best of the best. He is quite big headed, and gets the lady he likes .. eventually!!! There are some great moments in this play - funny, happy and sad. It has something for everyone - comedy, action, romance. It is really worth buying this film, as it is great to watch, however many times you have seen it. This film has stood the test of time. It came out about 20 years ago, and yet it is still enjoyed by many people. which just proves what a fantastic film it is! 4 Stars 2-1-2001 (Updated)
Matthew Samuel M

July 3, 2013
One can appreciate the film for being iconic, yet it is frustratingly bland and corny. Though Top Gun is full of action, nothing really happens, and the charming romance that inspires the classic hit "Take My Breath Away" becomes a vague, second-thought.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 17, 2010
Top Gun has been hailed and adored by film fans and critics alike. This is a picture than boosted recruitment in the Navy. Everyone Talks about Top Gun as a fine action film that is just super cool. Well, it is, and isn't. There are things that work here and there like fun action scenes which is what this flick is all about, however most of the time relies on sketchy performances that really don't deliver anything effective to compliment the action. Rewatching Top Gun, I realize that it actually is a decent picture, but is never anything grand, or beyond enjoyable because everyone gives this one more praise than it actually deserves. This film is decent and fun, but in the long run there are far more accomplished action films out there than Top Gun. Half the time, I felt Iceman and Maverick were in love and it was OK, well I get it, now what? Let the rivalry cool off, before the happy ending with the high fives all around and hugs, and wicked quotes and to top it off an awesome sing along of you lost that lovin feeling. This was nonetheless a fun little flick, but it really lacks in terrific plot and effective character chemistry. Everything here is almost cringe worthy and this decent for what it is, but it's not anything special. As far as a guy flick is concerned, Top gun doesn't deliver as much as such outstanding classics as The Dirty Dozen, Alien, Blade Runner and Escape From New York. Fun, but leaves a lot to be desired. Tom Cruise made better films than this, and there are far superior movies out there than this. Tony Scott would also deliver better actioners and I think that despite all the fun, mindless action, Top Gun is truly overrated and doesn't deserve to be on a pedestal as "the greatest film ever made".
blkbomb
blkbomb

May 19, 2012
Maverick: You don't have time to think up there. If you think, you're dead.

"Up there with the best of the best."

There's a lot of people who hate Top Gun and a lot of people that love it. It's clear why. If you love movies that are pure popcorn entertainment then Top Gun is for you, as it is extremely entertaining and fun. If you need a movie to have real story and characters, then this isn't for you, as it is more about aerial maneuvers than it is about story or character. As it is I enjoyed Top Gun for just how fun it is. It's a fast paced movie with a lot of plane action. I know it isn't a great movie when it comes to filmmaking, but it does what Tony Scott means for all of his movies to do; it entertains. He doesn't make movies that are going to make it on AFI lists. He makes movies that are going to be fun, and he does a good job at doing that. Top Gun is just another example of Scott doing what he does best.

The film is definitely at it's best when it is in the air as the aerial sequences are just amazing. On the ground is where the problems lie for many. Obviously there's a lot of man cliches at work down there, and a lot of the time what we watch and listen to is ridiculous, but I still can't say that it wasn't fun to watch. Then there's the romance, which was weirdly underplayed and overplayed at the same time, but it didn't ruin the movie by any means. The acting isn't perfect, but really it doesn't need to be. Movies like Top Gun don't call for Oscar level acting. They call for loud screams and stupid one liners and on that level the cast succeeded.

Top Gun has sort of gotten itself to classic action status. There are so many people(mostly guys that were in there teens to twenties in the eighties) that just love the hell out of this movie. The movie is well known for the call names Maverick and Iceman and for some of the iconic lines said. Still I don't think anyone out there who loves this movie would argue with me saying it is pretty stupid. It uses an overused story, overused characters, and falls back on overused songs. Still I have to say I enjoyed it, even though I really wish I could just say I hate it. I guess I'm sort of in the middle on this one.

Top Gun is a classic guy movie. It isn't going to win any intelligence awards, but for pure visuals and cinematic excitement, it isn't too bad. It's a perfect movie to watch when you just want to have fun and not have to think about deep characters or a storyline that has some source of originality.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 6, 2007
Great film from the 80's. They were so cool! Navy pilots in training.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 14, 2011
Top Gun is not great in my opinion, I think its a bit too popular but thats just me. The story is boring and really cheesy, I was never once getting into it. The cast wasnt great either, not Tom Cruises best. The plane scenes were pretty cool, I enjoyed that. Overall im not a huge fan of this movie, it was boring.
Apeneck F

July 12, 2007
High school cheerleading for the Naval fighter pilot set (it was made during the gung-ho military / Reagan years), but with one helluva air show thrown in. Cruise became box office bigtime with this and then there's that loud soundtrack of 80's gold: You Take My Breath Away.
Eric A

August 5, 2011
Pretty routine movie, but a classic in alot of ways I guess. One of the few movies I like Tom Cruise in.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
Another amazing 80's film! Tom Cruise was fantastic in this!
Conner R

December 2, 2009
Top Gun always has been and always will be one of my favorite movies of all time. It showcases Tom Cruise in a way that no movie ever quite has before or after. He is seen as what you might call the perfect human being. Charm, good looks, volleyball skills and singing are just a few of his talents. His main feature is being the greatest pilot of all time; soaring the skies in his F-14A Tomcat. Now a lot of people are out to get Tom Cruise and either claim that he's a bad actor or that he's just a freak, but my guess is that it's only jealously that clouds the minds of these non-believers that he is a gift to mankind. I don't think anyone else has as much awesome aspects about themselves and Top Gun only proves this beyond the shadow of a doubt. He commands the screen as hotshot Pete "Maverick" Mitchell and delivers one grand performance. Next to him, you have a soirée of supporting cast members that do a great job here including Val Kilmer, Meg Ryan, Tom Skerrit and Anthony Edwards. Kelly McGillis also fares well as his instructor/squeeze, who can't resist the dashing good looks and charisma of her pupil.
A lot of flack also gets thrown Tony Scott's way as well in terms of his directing style, but it's hard to pick apart Top Gun and see anything but beauty. It is shot in a way that makes you see the true power of these fighter pilots and their respecting aircrafts. Even when there isn't pulse pounding action occurring, you still get the full treatment. Even during your average game of volleyball, there is intensity oozing out of the screen. Now some people also have the theory that Top Gun is just about some kind of made up love story between Maverick and Iceman, but to me that's just a childish remark and a weak attempt at trying to make a movie belittled. Anyone who actually takes the time to watch this epic masterpiece would know that it's anything but that.
Top Gun is essentially the definition of a fun summer movie, but also contains a lot of heart and genuine storytelling. We can relate to these larger than life characters because they are so well played out and so well written. It's had not to get wrapped up in all the visuals and surprisingly effective Kenny Loggin's Academy Award-Winning soundtrack that brings you right into the story. The fact is, some people may never get Top Gun; which is fine. However, those who do get it know how unbelievable cool it is and share the admiration for this great piece of movie-making. Top Gun isn't just some stupid, soulless, blockbuster at all. It has a true purpose and has real emotions running through its adrenaline pumping veins.
Alice S

May 8, 2011
GOOOOOOSE!!!!!!!!

All right, so it seems that everyone's over this movie now - and its 25th anniversary coming on the heels of US's biggest "America! Fuck yeah!" moment of the last decade just adds fuel to misguided fire - but I missed the '80s, so let me enjoy it.

Very exciting flying. Some hilarious homoerotic under - over - tones? A good-hearted, sacrificial best friend. A darling and kooky Meg Ryan in a bit part, "Hey Goose, you big stud! Take me to bed, or lose me forever!" Incessant music video montages for three '80s hits. Oh so much tongue.

And I'll still say Tom Cruise is a pretty fine actor. He may be a nut-job, but he's got the face for it. He's got the quivering jaw, the bloodshot eyes, shrink-wrapped in tears, the gaze that looks right through you.
Jennifer X

May 28, 2007
Top Gun is filled with cheese.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
This is one of the only movies about guys in the army that I actually like. Cruise is awesome in this movie! It's sort of a modern version of From Here to Eternity, but with more action and romance. I loved it.
Roy G

January 16, 2011
Tom Cruise classic still revs engines.
Spencer S

December 9, 2008
There's a ton of hype circulating around this film for its 80's flair, killer soundtrack, and the pure awesomness that is an action movie with fighter pilots, but overall it overwhelmed me. Between the strangely tense scenes between McGillis and Cruise with Berlin in the background and the the constant yelling matches between Maverick and his superiors, it was one big guy fest. The only truely great thing about this movie was Maverick's relationship with Goose, and that last moment between him and his partner's dog tags.
Dorian G.
Dorian G.

November 6, 2010
What can I say? "This is giving me a hard on." I gotta say I have been skeptical of this movie ever since my roommate in college said it was awesome. I thought it looked like a turd until I sat down to watch it today. The acting was pretty good if not sometimes very childish and i'm not sure why a lot of scenes are of men in showers or in tighty-whities or especially playing beach volleyball. Come on Goose why can't you take your shirt off?? Not manly enough? That explains why he got smashed on the canopy and Maverick goes unscathed. I thought the female counterparts were smokin' in this 80's film and Tom was pretty damn good which is because he hadn't started jumping on Oprah's couches yet. If you like some pretty cool aerial stunts and sweaty men then Top Gun will give you your "need for speed."
Emile T

January 1, 2008
Guilty pleasure + Tom Cruise with aviator glasses.
KJ P

May 5, 2010
It was sort of a basic storyline, but it was one hell of a fun ride! I recommend it to someone who isn't going to pay attention to the story, and just focus on the thrills of the planes! Good Film!
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

March 3, 2008
Val baby as Iceman, coolest role literally, that was bad. Tom pre-scientology, love it.