18% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Hannibal: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Tornado Alley Reviews

February 24, 2014
Best Tornado Documentry/Movie ever.
December 10, 2012
Cool story, but a lot of hype with not a lot of theatrical content. Or shots of tornadoes, or storms for that matter. Very short presentation on the who and why, but didn't capture a story outside that of the characters' motivation for chasing storms.

Not the best use of IMAX quality.
July 23, 2012
I was able to catch this at my local IMAX theater, and I have to say that it was money well spent. This really delves into the nature of tornados and their power.

PLOT/SUBJECT:In this documentary about tornados, we follow two teams of tornado scientists in their journeys. We follow one team called V2 and their mission to capture more information about tornado origin, and we follow another team called NIV(?) and their mission to drive their armored vehicle into the center of a tornado and capture the intense footage. It's a good subject executed pretty well.

PEOPLE:The whole documentary is narrated by Twister's Bill Paxton (of course) and it stars one of the guys from Storm Chasers, Sean Casey. Paxton's narration was pretty good and legit and Casey's dedication to capturing his vision on film was very honest and intense.

SCORE:The background score for enhancing the intensity of the violent weather was pretty well composed. I liked the ending theme.

OTHER CONTENT:This IMAX documentary on the intensity of tornados was pretty intricate and very entertaining. It gave me chills at times and backed up a lot of their findings with scientific facts. However, there were a couple flaws I found with it that brought it down. Firstly, there were a few times where it tended to drag and get a little boring. Secondly, when we finally get to the intense conclusion of NIV's mission, it seems to pass faster than we expect, and it kind of becomes a let down when we find out that it's not as intense as we hoped. Nevertheless, it was still a very entertaining little film, especially with the IMAX film experience.

OVERALL,a great IMAX documentary with a good subject matter, good narration, honest dedication, well composed score, a pretty intricate study, overall entertainment, and scientific facts to back it up, but it dragged a good bit and the end is kind of a letdown.
The Creep
July 23, 2012

April 1, 2012
-Some really great shots throughout.
-Obviously doesn't portray Casey as the total dick he can be in Storm Chasers.
-Impact shot is somewhat of a let-down.
-40 minutes?
March 25, 2012
Loved the movie, and it was even better getting to meet Sean Casey at the premiere in Denver.
February 22, 2012
If your a tornado nut like me don't expect much because not much is what you'll get. Alot of facts and science about tornados, and not much footage. I saw most of this on the weather channel already. All this culminates into the last 5-10 minutes of some footage of hail and the tornado that Sean goes threw but as I said it wasn't anything to get thrilled about.
November 25, 2011
Interesting to see the storm chasers in action and the devestation a tornado can leave behind. Imax 3D made the storm sequences look amazing. Overall, though, a bit anti-climatic - the ultimate shot of the inisde a twister just looks really windy...
November 24, 2011
I was disappointed. I thought there would be a lot more footage of tornadoes up close and the the narrator would explain some of what we are seeing. It looks like the TIV is hit directly with lots of wind, then Sean Casey says that they missed it by 5 minutes?!? I didn't know what I was looking at sometimes, and I've been watching Storm Chasers for years. Beautiful camera shots and neat info about V2 program, but the star of the show (the storms) just had cameos.
burgerstar
burgerstar

October 28, 2011
I saw this in an IMAX theatre at our local zoo. You gotta see this vehicle this guy builds. The movie follows two different teams of storm chasers.
September 27, 2011
What was Sean Casey doing for the last 8 years?
What a big disappointment this movie is. I understand that what they do for a living is really amazing but that didn't come across on the big screen at all. Think about it at least 80% of people going to see this movie have watched or know about the television series, watching an episode on TV at home would be more exciting than the Imax movie Sean has made.

It is only 40 minutes long like most Imax movies, we have all watched the television show and have come along to see amazing weather footage, amazing tornado footage and what these tornadoes can do but it was almost like the tornadoes only played a small role in the movie and we watched some guy picking stuffed animals and sticking them to his car for luck?
Who cares?

With the time constraints you'd think that they would put in as much of themselves doing these amazing jobs and all this amazing weather footage ( tornadoes ) but no?

Sean has been filming out in Americas heartland for the past 8 years collecting great footage but we didn't get to see it? We herd allot about Vortex 2 and what they are trying to achieve but didn't see them actually doing too much and Sean and his TIV, what was it 1 or 2 intercepts that we saw?

I get you need to set up the story so we understand what is going on (even with narrator Bill Paxton who actually sounds bored in the second part of the movie) but there was too much of this movie is my dream, this is my TIV, this is Vortex 2, this is how to get stuffed toys from a vending machine and think its funny to stick it on my car and it feels like we have missed out on the stars of the film, who everyone has come to see, the tornadoes.
Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan, there was some great footage of storms here and I do get what they do is important, very dangerous and exciting but it obviously didn't make the cut.
There was no excitement like on the television show, no big lead up, no tornado chase and in the end not many tornadoes.
August 15, 2011
Awful. Little footage of tornadoes but I shouldn't be surprised since Sean Casey almost always missed them during his 8 years on the road. This film turned into a huge ego stroke for Mr. Casey. He had a chance to put out a brilliant and beautiful film about thunderstorms and tornadoes but chose to turn himself into the star.
July 15, 2011
A fun documentary, that isn't as educational as it is exciting.
June 7, 2011
Great photography, some coverage of the science behind tornado meteorology and strong use of IMAX, especially for storm-building shots. Not much that is educational, but who cares when you have funnel-clouds to look at. Shots from INSIDE a tornado were not as exciting for the audience as they were for the crew, however.
April 16, 2011
Intensely fun! Amazing shots and funny moments make this film worth watching!
April 2, 2011
Looks like a good but more of a sci-fi movie
March 24, 2011
I loved the discovery channel show Storm Chasers and was hoping this would be just an amazing film.. but was disappointed. IMAX was great, but the end result of the film left me wanting some of the drama the TV series gave me.