—— Hercules Jul 25

76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Torture Garden Reviews

Phil H

August 12, 2012
Another British horror anthology with a slightly silly title methinks. This time nothing to do with the 'Tales from the Crypt' franchise but a stand alone set of shorts which was made before in 67. The director obviously made a good job of this anthology as he was used again to direct the first 'Tales' film, possibly taking many influences with him.

The frame/wrap plot for this horror sees a group of five people enter into a horror house or sideshow of sorts in a funfair. The 'show' is run by 'Dr Diabolo' and he offers all the visitors the chance to experience real terror if they pay extra, they do...I wouldn't have.
One by one they are all given the chance to glimpse into their own futures or fates at the shears of Atropos, a strangely real looking statue (which no one seems to question) of a Greek deity.

From here we are given four (yes four) short tales of terror. The first has a young man letting his seemingly rich uncle die so he can find the old man's money. He searches the old house only to be brainwashed or fall under the spell of an evil cat that he finds. Second tale tells of a young woman breaking into Hollywood only to discover the secret of all the stars youthful appearances, they are all robots.

The third tale is about a man and his grand piano. The grand piano is possessed and becomes jealous of its owners new love, so it takes its revenge on her. The last tale is about two Edgar Allan Poe collectors, one that wants bits of the others marvellous collection. In the end his greed sees him killing his fellow collector and having to deal with the devil and Poe himself.

Its yet another British horror (we did them so well back then) so again we have some good casting but this time there is also an international flavour. This anthology offers you the talents of Palance, Burgess Meredith, Michael Bryant and again the horror legend Peter Cushing.

I did like this anthology better than the first 'Tales' film. The main 'keeper' type role played by Meredith makes all the difference here. His sinister all teeth, razor sharp, 'Joker' like grin and villainous voice are perfect for these kind of 'Hammer' like films. Then you have Jack Palance and his gleaming slit like eyes, his facial movements and sneering expressions. I always thought Palance was like that due to his age but it seems he's always been creepy.

The thing that lets this down is the range of short stories it offers. One I liked which involved the major stars of Hollywood becoming robotic inside to remain young, a fun little sci-fi 'Westworld' type plot there. The others are poor really, the killer grand piano? really?, a man possessed by a black cat and the two Poe collectors. All pretty lame really, not exactly creepy scary or even fun, just dull and idiotic in the case of the grand piano.

It looks good visually, again better than the first 'Tales' in my opinion but can't beat 'Vault of Horror'. The only two things I liked about this film were Meredith and Palance, Meredith especially in his post 'Penguin-like' outfits clearly making the most of that older winning role. Was cool to see Palance go up against Cushing too, epic double team there folks.

A good anthology which is well worth the watch if you like these kind of films, the casting is best but the stories lack punch. I think I've repeated that a few times in this review now, you get the idea then eh.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

July 13, 2011
I love the Amicus anthology films, and this one is better than most of them. The first and last stories are the reason to see this one. I love seeing Jack Palance pop up in it, and he gives a great performance. I really liked portions of the score as they reminded me of The Twilight Zone quite a bit. Nothing can ever top Tales From the Crypt, but this is one of the better of the omnibus films.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
This horror movie has a good story, but I've seen it in a lot of other movies. The cast is good too, and for the most part I liked this movie.
Lafe F

July 16, 2007
A nice anthology of horror tales with a strange statue in a garden being used as the framing device.
Greg A

November 15, 2011
Jack Palance stole the show for me, his creepy portrayal of an Edgar Allen Poe fanatic as this wired, jittery fellow who drank a few thousand too many cups of coffee is this nervous oddball is so far from the normal quiet, calm and collected Palance I know and love.
May 19, 2013
Torture Garden (1967) -- [5.5] -- Burgess Meredith stars as Dr. Diabolo, a sideshow barker who gives daring patrons a glimpse at their untimely demises in this horror anthology flick from Britain's Amicus Productions (ever the poor man's Hammer Studios). The four featured tales include a mind-controlling cat, a secret society of androids, a killer piano, and dueling collectors of all things Edgar Allan Poe. I expected more from venerable British cinematographer-turned-director Freddie Francis and writer Robert Bloch (Psycho). Each of the stories is pedestrian and the characterizations paper-thin. The film skates by on the personalities (and reputations) of its featured cast. Meredith puts in a charismatic performance in the wraparound story, while Peter Cushing and Jack Palance headline the final story as the two Poe collectors.
flynnparadox
March 26, 2007
Not the best of Amicus's "onimbus" horror films but the first and fourth stories are quite good and the second one is fairly interesting, as well. The third, however, is really just rather ridiculous. Burgess Meredith, Jack Palance and Peter Cushing are good, as always, and the dearly missed Freddie Francis directs it all with a clear, creepy style. Fun stuff that I remember catching on television when I was probably ten or eleven.
carlmanes
February 1, 2013
Dare ye enter THE TORTURE GARDEN? Five thrill seekers are coaxed into entering the suspicious carnival attraction, where their fates are foretold by a supernatural statue of the Greek goddess Atropos. The first sorry sap will be granted a fortune in gold coins if he only obeys the demands of a witch's familiar, which takes the form of a small cat. An ambitious young starlet will do whatever it takes to see her name immortalized on screen. Poor Dorothy falls prey to a possessed piano in the next. An Edgar Allan Poe fanatic lets his jealousy and covetous desire get the best of him when he visits a rival's admirable collection in the fourth. The last man, however, resists looking into the eyes of fate, fearful of what he might find. Burgess Meredith greatly entertains as the attraction's eccentric owner, in a performance that is gleefully over-the-top. As is often the case with omnibus pictures, the stories are a bit uneven, with the first and last proving to be the most enjoyable (even with Jack Palance's oddly excitable performance in 'The Man Who Collected Poe'). Freddie Francis directs the small picture with gusto, and leaves us with a fun diversion in the end despite the film's many flaws. Amicus would reach the pinnacle of their success with their next anthology, THE HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD, from 1970.

-Carl Manes
I Like Horror Movies
Whitsbrain
December 25, 2012
This is a surprisingly poor movie anthology from Amicus Films. Not even Burgess Meredith or Jack Palance can save it. All of the stories are instantly forgettable and the wraparound story of Meredith's "Dr. Diabolo" is really bad. I mean, c'mon..."Look into the shears of fate". Not scary.
Only completists (me) or die-hard Amicus fans should bother with this one.
Greg A

November 15, 2011
October 31, 2011
?31 Days of Horror (2011): #4
SteveMiller
October 9, 2007
On the surface, the Torture Garden is a cheezy little traveling carnival sideshow and wax museum. However, for select customers, its proprietor, Dr. Diabolo (Meridith) pulls back the curtain on real horror, by bringing them face to face with the Goddess of Fate and their futures. When five such customers (Adams, Bryant, Ewing, Jack Palance, and Ripper), four tales of obsessions that end in horror unfold .

"Torture Garden" is the second of a string of excellent horror anthology pictures made by Amicus at the tale end of the British horror boom. It features decent performances and competent direction from some of the people who gave birth to the boom, such as diretor Freddie
Francis and actors Peter Cushing and Michael Ripper. The stories aren't the best, but they're well told, and, like all anthology films, even the weakest one is so short that it doesn't damage the movie too much.

The film opens and closes on a strong note, with its framing story featuring sideshow performer Dr. Diabolo and his vision-inducing statue. Burgis Meridith does a great job as a circus performer with a sinister edge. He is particularly good in the closing portion of the segment where his performance makes the ending that manages to both be surprising and predictable at the same time.

As for the four stories that are the visions experienced by the visitors to the Torture Garden, two are mediocre, one is about average, and one is excellent aside from a weak ending.

The first vision is a predictable tale of a greedy man who, to his eventual deep regret, discovers the secret source of his uncle's fortune. Although the character is utterly repulsive, Michael Bryant manages to give a performance that still makes us care about what happens to him... and not just in a way that makes us want him to get what's coming to him.

The second story is the weakest of the bunch. In at, an overly ambitious young actress (Adams) ends up paying the ultimate price for stardom when she discovers the source of the seemingly endless youth and energy that Hollywood's most powerful producers and bankable stars seem to possess. While the Big Reveal of the dark secret that keeps the "Top Ten" of Hollywood youthful and in power wasn't what I expected it to be (I figured it would be a trite play on the fact that agents and producers are "bloodsuckers"), the actual twist is even goofier. To silly to be scary, and featuring a character who is too coldblooded for the viewer to give a damn about and too stupid to be even remotely likeable, this tale feels like a filler and time-waster when it's over.

The third story is the oddest of the bunch. It sees a music journalist (Ewing) who attempts to seduce a world-famous concert pianist (Standing) away from his music... only to find that some rivals are jealous beyond measure. (I think this is probably the high-water mark of killer piano films, and it's main virtue is that it's short and to the point. It's more silly than scary, but it moves so fast that one hardly has a chance to dwell on its silliness.)

The fourth tale, and the best of the bunch by far, features two actors at opposite end of the quirky scale-- Jack Palance and Peter Cushing--playing obsessive collectors of Edgar Allen Poe memorabelia. Palance excudes such menace that one has to wonder why Cushing's character was crazy enough to invite him over to see his collection, no matter how proud he was of it. (And the menace is enhanced even further by the way Palance seems to loom next to the slight and small-statured Cushing!) As for the story, it takes some nice twists and turns as it unfolds, ultimately resolving in a slightly dissapointing way... but that dissapointment is more than made up for with a tie-in to the framing story, and the excellent performances by Cushing and Palance.

If you enjoy horror short films, and particularly if you enjoy horror anthology films, then "Torture Garden" is worth checking out. It's not as good as "The House That Dripped Blood" or "From Beyond the Grave", but you'll nonetheless find it to be a worthwhile viewing experience. (Palance and Cushing make the film worthwhile all by themselves.)

Torture Garden
Starring: Burgess Meredith, Beverly Adams, Jack Palance, Peter Cushing, Michael Bryant, Barbara Ewing, Michael Ripper,and John Standing
Director: Freddie Francis