Critic Review - Richard Roeper.com

Casting and visuals are an upgrade, but we get far too many action sequences and not enough of the mind games.

August 3, 2012 Full Review Source: Richard Roeper.com | Comments (36)
Richard Roeper.com
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

JC Martel

JC Martel

Wrong.

Aug 3 - 07:45 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

I agree I wish there were more smart and mind bending dialogue scenes and Im not saying I didnt like the action which was awesome I just wanted a little more substance.

Aug 3 - 08:43 PM

Ragnos Warren

Ragnos Warren

Colin Ferrel is NOT an upgrade from Arnold!!!! Kate Beckinsale is NOT an upgrade from Sharon Stone!!!! And Jessica Biel is NOT that much of an upgrade from Rachel Ticotin! And by the way... the original also had Michael Ironside, and his performance ALONE blows the hell out of anything the cast in this movie does!!!

And since the rest of your review rests on the "visuals", then I would say you liked this movie for all the wrong reasons. Those reasons wouldn't happen to come in threes, would they mister Roeper?!

Aug 3 - 11:26 PM

Ronit Fitucci

Ronit Fitucci

I didn't see this one, however from the previews it looks like you're right. I loved the first movie with all his cheesiness, Arnold was great together with all his cast. I'll see this one with my kids I am sure they're going to like all the blasting.

Aug 3 - 11:38 PM

kyle Knaus

kyle Knaus

dont take your kids...there is a nudity scene with a woman and they say shit about 20 times

Aug 4 - 12:50 AM

Marty McDee

Marty McDee

OH NO!

Aug 4 - 03:22 AM

George Hanna-Wilson

George Hanna-Wilson

@ kyle knaus. How about... Dont take anyone to see this movie. It was god awful.

Aug 7 - 03:08 PM

Glenda Manuel

Glenda Manuel

I'll take my kids. I say shit twenty times a day. Nudity isn't anything to be ashamed of either. Big damn deal... :|

Aug 16 - 06:08 PM

Andrew Price

Andrew Price

@Glenda I for one like that Kyle gave that warning. I don't have kids but if I did I probably wouldn't want to expose them to this stuff so early on.

Aug 21 - 04:40 AM

Joseph Piņon

Joseph Piņon

Agreed 100%. They just threw pretty faces who brought mediocre acting into a CGI wet dream.

Aug 5 - 09:27 AM

Louis Marco

Louis Marco

This movie sucks.

Aug 4 - 01:18 AM

David Park

David Park

lol people just because its not your opinion doesn't mean you have to degrade it.

Aug 4 - 10:04 AM

Dave Blais

Dave Blais

Richard, I totally agree with you on this one.

Aug 4 - 04:27 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

None of this new cast was better....

Aug 4 - 10:19 PM

Robert Woods

Robert Woods

I think you give it far more credit than it deserves. There's so much wrong with this film. If I see another shootout highlighted with horrible CGC, I'm going to cry.

Aug 4 - 10:38 PM

Pat ChalupaBatman

Pat ChalupaBatman

Arnold made this movie Roeper.

It's a silly Sci-fi movie, why take this so seriously and call for some ridiculous cast.

Get bent

Aug 5 - 12:11 AM

Kieran F.

Kieran Fraser

Hmmm...I think the only real upgrade was seeing Bryan Cranston in the film he did a good job. The rest was disappointing. Like it has interesting actors but..they're not really...UP GRADES from the previous one.

Aug 5 - 07:45 AM

John Pitzer

John Pitzer

Completely wrong, I go to a movie to be entertained and lose the outside world for a while. I really liked this movie will be a purchase when it comes out on blu-ray

Aug 5 - 08:43 AM

Chonyi Lama

Chonyi Lama

My thoughts exactly

Aug 5 - 12:38 PM

Kai Sacco

Kai Sacco

For everyone that commented on this review: Don't let your nostalgia for the original warp the facts. The cast in this is a COMPLETE upgrade from the original. As much as I dislike the remake, I'm not blind to that truth.

Aug 5 - 02:59 PM

Shane Rogers

Shane Rogers

Arnold > Ferrel /thread

Aug 5 - 07:43 PM

Preston S.

Preston Sharpe

Farrell is a far better actor than Arnie, but that doesn't save this turd. I also want to chime in and say that I trust most of Roeper's reviews. He's one of the few reviewers I agree with 95% of the time.

Aug 6 - 04:29 PM

Michael Hirakida

Michael Hirakida

Is this a positive review? Because it sounds negative.

Aug 6 - 09:58 PM

Kevan Lucchini

Kevan Lucchini

Agree. People are dumb enough why don't they provide mind-challenging movies? Smart movies are niche movies and rarely do you get to see something smart that's catered to everyone.

Aug 7 - 08:21 AM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

I actually have to agree on Roeper with this one. Although the entirety of the movie was great, there was less mind blowing events than 1990 version.
I do have to admit that EVERY actor was an upgrade from the last movie. Nevertheless, I would have love to see someone try to fill Michael Ironside's character role, hehe

Aug 8 - 09:07 AM

baphillips

Brian Phillips

i have to say, i'm with richard. more mind games please.

Aug 8 - 08:39 PM

Ashley Lisowski

Ashley Lisowski

+1 more mind games

Aug 8 - 08:41 PM

Philip N.

Philip Neves

It may not have been as original as everyone would like but it was very entertaining. The action sequences kept me on the edge of my seat. I came out of it saying that enjoyed the movie. It was a little lacking in Character development though but the action sequences made up for it.

Aug 9 - 01:41 AM