Critics Consensus: Total Recall Isn't An Affair To Remember

Plus, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days is mildly amusing but predictable.

This week at the movies, we've got artificial memories (Total Recall, starring Colin Farrell and Kate Beckinsale) and summertime blues (Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days, starring Zachary Gordon and Steve Zahn). What do the critics have to say?

30%

If you're going to remake a modern classic, you'd better bring something new to the table. Unfortunately, critics say this new Total Recall is visually impressive, but it swaps out the existential anxiety and eccentric panache of Paul Verhoeven's 1990 film for an overabundance of action set-pieces. Suffering from disturbing dreams, Douglas Quaid (Colin Farrell) decides to visit Rekall, a company that implants memories of an exciting vacation. When the procedure goes awry, however, Quaid becomes the target of a manhunt, and teams up with a beautiful rebel agent (Jessica Biel) on a mission to destroy the Rekall Corporation. The pundits say Total Recall, while technically sound, could use some of the wit and vulnerability that Arnold Schwarzenegger brought to the original. (Check out this week's Total Recall, in which we run down noteworthy films about memory loss.)

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days

51%

The Diary of a Wimpy Kid franchise has been nothing if not consistent; each movie chronicles the terrors of middle school with moderate wit and little elegance. Critics say the latest entry, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days, offers more of the same: a few decent laughs and an awful lot of predictability. Zachary Gordon stars yet again as Greg Heffley, who finds himself bereft of summer plans. To stave off boredom, our hero pretends to have a job at a country club and embarks on an ill-fated camping trip. The pundits say Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days is warm and reasonably amusing, but it feels more like a sitcom than a feature film.

Also opening this week in limited release:

• Mosquita Y Mari, a coming-of-age drama about the close friendship between two Los Angeles teens, is at 88 percent.
  • Girlfriend Boyfriend, a romantic comedy about the love lives of three classmates during an era of political upheaval in Taiwan, is at 83 percent.
  • You've Been Trumped, a documentary about a group of Scottish homeowners protesting a plan by the Donald to build a golf course on an environmentally sensitive area, is at 79 percent.
  • Celeste and Jesse Forever, starring Rashida Jones and Andy Samberg in a dramedy about a divorced couple that attempts to maintain a close friendship, is at 77 percent.
  • Dreams of a Life, a docudrama about a woman who died in her apartment and wasn't discovered for three years, is at 74 percent.
  • Sushi: The Global Catch, a doc about the environmental impact of the popular Japanese dish, is at 67 percent.
  • 360, starring Jude Law and Rachel Weisz in a drama about disparate characters whose lives intersect through a series of affairs, is at 32 percent.
  • The Babymakers, starring Olivia Munn and Paul Schneider in a comedy about a couple that conspires to rob a sperm bank in a desperate attempt to conceive a child, is at four percent.
  • Assassin's Bullet, starring Christian Slater and Donald Sutherland in a thriller about an FBI agent on the trail of a terrorist-killing vigilante, is at zero percent.

Comments

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

Looks like DKR will three-peat at the B.O. I like Collin Farrell (he was great in Fright Night) but Total Recall looks like the most Generic Sci-Fi ever. The Wimpy Kid movies are okay family movies, but I think its audience is beggining to out grow it.

Aug 2 - 04:51 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Actually I think its more likely that Total Recall beats DKR. DKR had a big drop last weekend, and it will probably have an equally if not steeper drop. Total Recall is a major film, and the RT meter is a little deceptive. Most critics are indeed panning it, but mostly in fairly mild terms. Calling a film "generic" is not the same as saying it outright horrible. I think Total Recall will appeal to men who just want to see some popcorn entertaiment, and it'll probably make around $35-$40 million which should be enough to beat the DKR in it's 3rd weekend unless Total Recall either bombs (which I don't expect) or DKR has a much stronger hold than last weekend (more likely but not by much).

Also I don't think the audience is growing out for The Wimpy Kids movies, considering how the first film was released only two years ago. It's just that these films are a modest hit for the 8-14 male crowd and their families and nothing more. It does seem that fatigue is setting in with the movie critics as while the 2nd film was only slightly worse than the second, this one is more than 10% less than the second film.

Aug 2 - 05:04 PM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

I guess we'll see, but I would be surprised if Recall makes more than 25 Million. Also, I think DKR will start to have smaller drops as people start to feel safer about going to the movies.

Aug 2 - 05:20 PM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

Also, I think most people who just want a fun popcorn action movie will wait for bourne.

Aug 2 - 05:31 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

The thing about the Bourne series is that it a very well received series: the previous film (Borne Ultimatum) is one of the highest rated straight action thriller flicks of the 21st century. Bourne will appeal to older male audiences (and the Expendables even older than Bourne) but Total Recall should appeal to the 13-24 young male crowd which likes hot women and flashy special affects that Total Recall gives that Bourne Legacy will not.

I think 20 million is too low for Total Recall, I think the least it will make is $30 million. It will only lose the weekend if TDKR over performs and has a stellar hold, but there is a since that the movie's audience is starting to burn out as it has more competition and less wide appeal compared to Avengers in May.

Aug 2 - 06:53 PM

Jay Young

Jay Young

I could be wrong, but I doubt Tony Gilroy will settle for 'fun popcorn action'. I"m not saying he can't make a bad movie, but I'm pretty certain Legacy will at least strive to be something a bit more.

Aug 3 - 12:10 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Actually, the drop TDKR showed in its second weekend was pretty decent considered the massive hype the film had. Deathly Hallows Part 2 dropped 72% in its second weekend. Now that the fanboy effect has taken it's toll, though, word of mouth can finally catch on. For example, Hunger Games had a nearly identical second weekend drop and yet on its third weekend it dropped a mere 40%.

As for Total Recall, it's the kind of film that ever since its budget was revealed looked like a major bomb. These kind of science fiction films are incredibly risky. The Matrix, Minority Report and Inception managed big success, and yet they had stuff going for them that Total Recall doesn't. An appealing original premises (or at least one that seemed original to audiences, even if it had been done before), eye catching trailers and incredible word of mouth. Not to mention in the case of the latter two they were headlined by huge stars and featured A-list directors.

Total Recall, however, is a remake which by very defination makes its premises unoriginal, especially when the original is so well known. The trailers haven't been able to get it the kind of attention a 200 mil film needs, and reviews are meh at best, so there goes any chance at strong legs. Even a 35 mil OW will be a disaster for this film.

Aug 3 - 12:45 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

I expect TDKR to take the weekend again. Kids don't have an affinity for the original Recall (it seems they generally don't watch anything not made in their lifetime) and the older crowd, probably already suspicious of a re-do, will be further dissuaded by the negative reviews.

Side note, I found it amusing that the original Recall in 1990 opened with $25m, the biggest opening weekend of the entire year. Now that is considered a "modest opening."

Aug 3 - 06:23 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

The Fed not doing their jobs.

Aug 3 - 08:49 AM

Kai Zhang

Kai Zhang

I agree: Total Recall beats Dark Knight Rises. It wasn't a stellar movie, but both the plot and the visuals/action sequences are better than the shabby attempt at a plotline in DKR, with its convoluted loose ends, which makes a urinal out of your common sense.

Aug 5 - 05:24 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

hey 30 30!!!!! a 30-30 rifle was used to assassinate JFK . . . its a definite code of some kind -- having two films each scoring an even 30%. People read everything into anything; a guy told me there are three triangles in a Bank of America logo. TOTAL RECALL is a crappy remake, we knew it going in and, now that the movie's out, we can almost guarantee that it will have crappy box-office numbers. Even The Wimpy Kid movie looks bad; like the producers are trying to kick life into a dead horse.

Aug 2 - 07:33 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

Ok. No one else is going to say it, so I am going to step up and just ask it.
What. The. Hell?

Aug 2 - 07:57 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

People "Free-Associate" is what I'm saying. Like all the BULLSHIT about The Illuminati and the Rothchilds and the Pyramid-symbols on The Dollar bill. (EARLIER TODAY, both films scoring 30% on R-T reminded me of 30/30 (the 30-30 rifle used to kill John F. Kennedy)--so I drew a connection.//// At any rate, why hasn't anyone picked up that Colin Ferrell must be a hack-actor; he starred in Miami Vice (a tv-show based movie), Fright Night (a poorly directed, yet well-written remake), and now Total Recall (a poorly executed remake). Farrell stars in films that suck overall and therefore must suck himself as an actor.

Aug 2 - 08:30 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

He also starred in Alexander, The New World, and Miami Vice. A Triumvirate of suck that would make Nic Cage blush. Also was horrible in Daredevil, I think the thing you can say about Ferrell is he's massively inconsistant. When he's good he's great En Brouges, Minority Report, Tigerland, but when he picks a stinker, man does it stink.

Aug 3 - 12:11 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Gordon, maybe you're confusing Farrell with Ferrell?

Those needing proof of his acting ability need look no further than In Bruges.

Aug 3 - 06:29 AM

Lionel L.

Lionel Lenoil

Gordon Terry is confusing reality with what's in his head. For example, President Kennedy was not killed by a 30-30 rifle, as any web-search will reveal.

Aug 3 - 04:06 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"People "Free-Associate" is what I'm saying."

Isn't this the basis of Manchurian-MKULTRA style brain-washing? That could be why it's slightly disturbing that some people associate rifles with RT ratings.

Aug 3 - 12:50 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

Manchurian? Manchurian Candidate. It was a movie starring Frank Sinatra. Frank Sinatra sang "Fly to the Moon." The moon flight was in 1969. 1969 was the year Woodstock happened. Woodstock is in New York. New York has a football team called the Jets. Jets are coached by Rex Ryan. Rex means King. King Kong was filmed in 1933. In 1933, Hitler became Chancellor of Germany.
Holy shit, Janson. Using free-association, I just inferred that you might be Hitler.
I...I am sorry.

Aug 3 - 07:38 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

No. I'm sorry. I'm sorry you must suffer for the truth. Agent Cooper is far too clever for my subterfuge. Why? Why did I have to comment on Rotten Tomato, after all these years, after all these blood transfusions and plastic surgery? Why am I not shrugging it off like the ridiculous assertion it is instead of admitting my impossible feat?

Aug 3 - 08:41 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

You are are very knowledgeable . . . I hope Colin Farrell is chosen to star in better movies very soon. (@lionel . . . the "magic bullet" is attributed to the .30-.30 rifle fired by Oswald . . . its a bad joke on my part deserving of your response, indeed) thanks.

Aug 4 - 07:02 AM

Aug 3 - 12:45 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Aug 3 - 06:23 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

The Fed not doing their jobs.

Aug 3 - 08:49 AM

Aug 2 - 06:53 PM

Jay Young

Jay Young

Aug 3 - 12:10 AM

Facebook User

Facebook User

Sucks about Total Recall, I had a bit of hope for it. Oh well, ring on The Bourne Legacy! ^_^

Aug 2 - 05:36 PM

David W.

David West

darn i thought total recall could end the summer with a bang like rise of the planet of the apes did last year

Aug 2 - 05:47 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Expendables 2 is more likely to be that film (not critically, it'll probably get mixed to negative reviews like the first one, but definitely in the box office numbers).

Premium Rush (the last major release of the summer movie season on Aug 24, only wide release movie coming out for Labor Day Weekend wide is a generic looking horror film called the Possession) could also do so, but that film has a considerably lower profile than Total Recall, Bourne Legacy, and Expendables 2. It will probably get better reviews than Total Recall but do worse at the box office.

Aug 2 - 07:00 PM

Shane Bryant

Shane Bryant

I'd rather watch a generic supernatural horror flick than a generic slasher flick... or any slasher flick for that matter. Atleast it's not another slasher film remake, ala Friday the 13th or Halloween...

Aug 16 - 04:27 AM

Christopher Kulik

The only hope I was holding out for TOTAL RECALL would be that it would be more faithful to the original short story "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale" by Philip K. Dick, because the Farrell-Beckinsale-Biel trio never appealed in the first place. I still might check it out on DVD, but everything about this smells like an unnecessary retread of a previous success, only this time dumbed-down and even curiously dated: that scene early in the trailer where Farrell goes ballistic and shoots everyone was awfully reminiscent of a live-action Photon game I played at somewhere in Maryland, circa 1988. This looks so juvenile--note PG-13 rating if you haven't yet--that it will end up pleasing nobody except teenagers who don't remember the superior original. I'll save my money for next week's THE BOURNE LEGACY; hope Tony Gilroy doesn't go the Don Mancini route.

Aug 2 - 06:17 PM

Ralph

Ralph Myers

What does that last statement even mean :S Tony Gilroy has already proven himself as a pretty great director

Aug 2 - 06:38 PM

Christopher Kulik

My bad, now that I think about it that was a bad analogy lol; I missed MICHAEL CLAYTON and DUPLICITY unfortunately.

Aug 2 - 06:48 PM

Aug 16 - 04:27 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Aug 2 - 07:33 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

Ok. No one else is going to say it, so I am going to step up and just ask it.
What. The. Hell?

Aug 2 - 07:57 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Aug 2 - 08:30 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Aug 3 - 12:11 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Gordon, maybe you're confusing Farrell with Ferrell?

Those needing proof of his acting ability need look no further than In Bruges.

Aug 3 - 06:29 AM

Lionel L.

Lionel Lenoil

Aug 3 - 04:06 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"People "Free-Associate" is what I'm saying."

Aug 3 - 12:50 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

I...I am sorry.

Aug 3 - 07:38 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Aug 3 - 08:41 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Aug 4 - 07:02 AM

Sean D.

Sean D

Ok. No one else is going to say it, so I am going to step up and just ask it.
What. The. Hell?

Aug 2 - 07:57 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Aug 2 - 08:30 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Aug 3 - 12:11 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Gordon, maybe you're confusing Farrell with Ferrell?

Those needing proof of his acting ability need look no further than In Bruges.

Aug 3 - 06:29 AM

Lionel L.

Lionel Lenoil

Aug 3 - 04:06 PM

Cinema-Maniac

Caesar Mendez

Wow, another bad remake of an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. This proves two things.
1: Arnold Schwarzenegger movies should not be remade, they won't be as good as the original.

2: Hollywood should really stop rehashing ideas and ruining classics. If you want to remake a movie, do one that nobody really cares much about, like The Godfather Part 3. Sure it wasn't bad, but it really wasn't a great way to end the series either.

Aug 2 - 08:18 PM

JC Martel

JC Martel

No movie should ever be remade period.

Aug 2 - 09:18 PM

Christopher Kulik

Unless they can improve upon the original. And yes it can be done; the problem is Hollywood loves money and they are not willing to try something again that has failed.

Aug 3 - 04:02 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Disagree. While remakes have given us much shit, they've also brought us The Wizard of Oz (1939), The Maltese Falcon (1941), 3:10 to Yuma (2007), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), The Man Who Knew to Much (1956), The Fly (1986), True Grit (2010), Scarface (1983), The Thing (1982) ...

Then there's the remakes of foreign films, including The Departed, The Magnificent Seven, Insomnia, True Lies, The Ring and many more. Oh, and The Point of No Return (Sorry, I love that movie. Whatever happened to Bridget Fonda?)

Aug 3 - 06:45 AM

MANBAT

Meh McMehson

The Departed is a remake of a foreign movie?

Why did I not know that.

Aug 3 - 08:14 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Infernal Affairs" (Mou Gaan Dou) from 2002.

Aug 3 - 11:58 AM

Vincent Fissore

Vincent Fissore

Would you count "Millennium" in this list?

Aug 3 - 07:09 PM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

Not very often you'll hear people prefer an Arnold movie over something with Colin Farrell. Only good thing to come out of this remake is that the original TR, which is fairly underrated compared to other sci-fi films of the 80s and 90s, is getting some free press out of it.

Aug 2 - 08:24 PM

SecondBest

This Guy

Definitely watching Total Recall this weekend im so excited for it. Jessica Biel and Kate Beckinsale....mmmmmmmm...nice.

Aug 2 - 08:26 PM

Christopher Kulik

Eye candy isn't enough for me to waste ten dollars on a ticket.

Aug 5 - 09:03 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Aug 2 - 08:30 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office