—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Tourist Reviews

Anthony L

April 5, 2013
A nod to the great Hitchcockian noir thrillers of yesteryear it maybe but unfortunately The Tourist comes across as a spoof rather than a tribute. It's more out of date than anything, anyone who has actually been to Venice will tell you it's not as beautiful and clean as it looks on screen and Scotland Yard is not based in a beautiful old Victorian building - far from it. It's these inaccuracies that bothered me, the mixture of modern technology and old school styles just doesn't work. It's badly cast also, as good as the two leads are, this wasn't right for either of them. Paul Bettany is quite good though and it was a nice surprise to see Timothy Dalton in a role that was perfect for him. The biggest crime of all is that the 'twist' ending is glaringly obvious from the very beginning, making the whole thing extremely disappointing. The Lives of Others to this? What the hell?
Jason C

April 20, 2012
"The Tourist" is a very poor movie. Of course, it represents Hollywood at it's worst. The movie was never intended to have any value. It's sole purpose was to cash in on the star power of Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. There is no way that this script would have been brought to life without those names attached. "The Tourist" is as lazy as film-making gets. It's slow, uninspired, predictable, and downright annoying. Speaking of the attached star power, this is just a phoned in performance by Depp and Jolie. They play the same roles that they always do. Brace yourself for this one, Angelina Jolie is engaging in espionage! But isn't Jolie a spy in every one of her movies? Strangely enough, with as much practice as she gets in these roles, she never turns in a believable performance. When Johnny Depp isn't trying, he normally portrays a quirky character that ends up in-over-his-head, and that's exactly what you get here. It's astonishing that nobody figured out that thrusting Depp and Jolie into their comfort zones would result in zero chemistry. Then again, you have to remind yourself that nobody making the movie cared if it was entertaining. Then it all makes sense. "The Tourist" is generic garbage, that I strongly urge you to avoid. If you're a die-hard fan of Johnny Depp or Angelina Jolie, you have to start watching better movies.
Drake T

April 11, 2012
Critics have nothing on The Tourist because it seemed to fly right by their heads that at it's core, The Tourist is a fluff of ROMEDY and should be judged as such.

The espionage premise plays a huge backseat role in what is one of the most well acted/scripted romantic comedies I've seen in awhile. The chemistry between Depp's initial awkward persona and Jolie's astute super-spy makes for a really charming watch and simply resonates as they stumble into the oddity that is love.

I mean, let's look at other recent films that tackled this particular genre. There's Cruise's glossy, over-the-top cliche-filled "Knight & Day" and Kutcher's "Killers" which was literally the same product but with even worse execution.

If you can honestly make that comparison and say The Tourist wasn't better then you either have an amateur sense of humor or an unhealthy obsession with explosions/action.

It's cute, romantic, charming and at the same time somewhat elegant in that it plays with very classical spy-themes and archetypes.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

November 22, 2010
Another disappointing movie, seems to be the year for it i guess!
You couldnt get any better than two of the finest hollywood actors to come together in one movie with a superb supporting cast and then the movie to still be the rubbish!
great location and scenery but i went to watch a romantic thriller and that isnt what i got. Not worth the effort of watchin!
thmtsang
thmtsang

January 2, 2011
Two of the hottest A listers make the most boring movie ever. It had potential, great actors and beautiful setting. Promising but didn't deliver. Johnny plays a maths teacher on holiday in Italy. He thinks his luck is in when he meets Angelina. She gets him involved in some dangerous pursuits. Good cast but average plot.
Emily A

October 14, 2011
Yick. I think I'll file this film away in my Hall of Ill-Used Tropes and be done with it. It's not so bad that it's not entertaining, but it's full of hamfisted writing and really clunky storytelling. This story thinks it's so clever, what with its savvy, self-aware characters and narrative twists but unfortunately, neither of those were done skillfully enough to pull off the effect. Elise seems well-enough versed in spy genre convention to know that she's a femme fatale, but this only serves to give her an air of smugness, not mystery or insight into the proceedings. Johnny Depp could probably have passed for a bewildered everyman, but the wardrobe and makeup departments are too busy making him look pretty to remember that vital part of the story. I don't know why they named this movie after his character's supposed function, because it really never figures into the story. I wonder what the first draft of this movie looked like: was it always a series of novel, cool little scenes clumsily stitched and shoe-horned together? Or did it start as a character driven, logical and efficient story of deception and intrigue? I expected much better from Christopher McQuarrie (Lucky # Slevin). This movie couls be fun if you turn it into a drinking game: drink every time you think to yourself "let's watch something else".
jamers2011
jamers2011

October 3, 2010
I wanted to like it, I really did, but this was a mess. It was all over the place, and the ending didn't help. Ugh...and the tone was all over the place. Not a good film!

The musical score was nice, but some of the song selections did not fit the mood or tone of the scenes at all.
Thomas J

November 29, 2010
What a waste of talent! While the movie is at best endurable. The missed potential is why I have such regrets with this movie. But i accomplishes its goal of being commercial instead of having substance!
Michael G

August 16, 2011
I'm not sure if I'm more disappointed in The Tourist or myself for watching The Tourist. What parts of this movie that aren't textbook banality (and yes, this movie DROVE me to use the word banality) are pathetic attempts to be Charade for Halloween. Johnny Depp continues to shit down the throat of his own talent as he still feels the need to show us how weird and geeky he can be by starring in utter shit. And Angelina Jolie? EAT SOMETHING!!! Skinny is not sexy!!! The way the filmmakers felt the need to force upon the audience that she is attractive by having every human in every shot gawk at her was as annoying as the obvious twist itself. At the end of the day, I won't say its impossible to like this movie, but isn't possible to like yourself if you do.
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

August 13, 2011
A woman involves a tourist in a plot to avoid international police and the Russian mob.
There are two good lines in the entire script: Johnny Depp's character says "Bon Jovi" when someone greets him with the Italian "Bongiorno," and when a policeman says that attempted murder is "not so serious," he replies, "Not when you downgrade it from murder. But when you when you upgrade it from room service, it's quite serious." The rest of the dialogue is full of vapid cliches. Though we get numerous shots of Depp and Jolie looking as good as Depp and Jolie can look and the location scout did a great job, the film lacks anything else to hold my attention. The plot is preposterous, and even the twist at the end fails to be plausible.
Overall, this is the most basic of basic thrillers, and I think only die-hard fans of Depp and Jolie could draw any sustained pleasure from watching it.
Spencer S

October 9, 2010
It is not the big names providing sub par performances, or a lack of nuance that you would assume make this film a dud, but instead the lack of correct atmosphere for a supposed thriller. There is a light comedic element most likely seen in a French modernist film rather than a heart pounding, episodic tale of passion, action, and intrigue. To illustrate this point, there is the glaring inconsistency of not having much of any action. The most exciting scenes include a barefooted chase on tiled roofs, and two attached speedboats barely outrunning the mob on foot. Very little gunfights, no explosions (thank God), and a lack of violence whatsoever. I'm not saying big budgeted CGI is ideal for today's thrillers. Indeed, a subtle sophistication makes for some of the better Bond films. Still, the offputting emergence of Depp in a role as a flustered persona and not the debonair con man we're used to seeing is not sweet in any manner of speaking. Jolie is pure eye candy, never emerging as the badass she's purported to be, but instead a slinking kitten with a penchant for being saved by the dimwitted Depp. The comedy is withholding and most of the feel is icy. Overall I'd say this is one film that can't make up its mind towards what it is trying to achieve.
flixsterman
flixsterman

October 6, 2010
"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again, there is nothing new under the sun." --Ecclesiastes 1:9
cosmo313
cosmo313

November 29, 2010
Of all the Hitchcock imitators, you could do a whole lot worse than this. That doesn't mean this is a good movie though. It jsut means that, for mediocrity, it's got a few thigns going for it, even if it doesn't completely come together.

I wanted to like this film, both in general, and in spite of all the bad reviews. It's not a terrible film, and I can see why people wouldn't like it. I can't understand the hatred toward it though. If anything, this is just a disappointment that had some seriosu potential and, for whatever reasons, just fell apart. It just sucks because there's so much talent here, so why it doesn't work just drives me nuts.

Maybe if the director (I'm not spelling that lengthy name out) had a better grasp of how to do this thing. Blending genres is one of the hardest things to do well. This film tries to blend thriller with romance, with a touch of comedy, and the mix isn't turning out right. Maybe we can just call it a noble faiulre.

I mean, it's not all bad. The locations, costumes, and cinematography are gorgeous, and the score works well, it's just a drag that the tone is all over the place and thatnot all the actor seem to be on the same page.

See this if you want, but don't expect it to be amazing. If you wanna see this sort of thing done well, then head straight into the Hitchcock Library. If anything, this film seems to be the most like North By Northwest except, you know, not a masterpiece.
boxman
boxman

June 2, 2011
It seems to have all the right elements aligned: two mega-watt stars, a gorgeous location, and an Oscar-winning director whose last film, 2006's The Lives of Others, was a tense, meaty, humane drama. Add a mistaken identity plot and The Tourist should feel like a light-hearted romp. The truth is that the final product is resoundingly dim and dull is deeply disappointing. All that Hollywood glamour and this is the best they could come up with? The movie is too mechanical, joyless, without much in the way of pacing or a pulse, and the direction feels like a languid tourist trip itself, placidly soaking up the scenery and waiting for a plot to shamble into frame. The action sequences are bereft of tension. Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp have too few scenes together, too mild a sexual tension, and sleepwalk through their performances. Depp could easily have been replaced by any actor. You'll see the twists telegraphed a mile away, but by that time your eyes will have already glazed over thanks to the dead weight of a script credited to THREE Oscar-winning screenwriters. With this much talent behind and in front of the camera, I expected a lot more than a sluggish, bland, hermetic thriller that would more like to get lost in scenery than quicken a pulse. The Tourist feels like it needs a map just to know what it's doing, and the finished product deserves a one-way ticket to the bargain bin.

Nate's Grade: C-
Matt G

January 21, 2011
It should have been called "The Borist." I gave it 1 1/2 stars because the scenery is absolutely beautiful to look at. Everything else sucks. I can't believe people see this garbage! It was advertised as an action movie and I got nothing. The ending makes no sense because he would have told her who he really was.
Mark W

May 25, 2011
If an English language 'thriller' directed by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, (the same man that done the superb Academy award winning German film "The Lives of Others") appeals to you, then just hold your horses. This is not in the same style at all. This has a more lighthearted playful approach and a far cry from the tense and dramatic style he employed in his earlier directorial debut.
Elise (Angelina Jolie), girlfriend of international fugitive Alexander Pearce, picks up tourist Frank Tupelo (Johnny Depp) on a train from Paris to Venice. The plan is to persuade the police that Frank is Pierce with a new face, but the dupe also becomes a target for a murderous Russian gangster (Steven Berkoff).
This is an old fashioned thriller in a similiar vein as we are used to seeing Cary Grant in. It's flamboyant, it's lavishly shot in exquisite European locations and boasts our modern day Hollywood glam in the likes of Depp and Jolie. In short, it has everything to keep the movie-going public happy. So, why doesn't it work? Well, for one, it's a classic case of all style and no substance. Or maybe it's, too many cooks spoil the broth, considering it has screenwriters Julian Fellowes "Gosford Park" and Christopher McQuarrie "The Usual Suspects" involved in the writing duties as well as the numerous people attached to it at one time or another - Tom Cruise and Charlize Theron were involved, as was Lasse Hallstrom for directing. Maybe this is why the whole thing is unsure of it's itself and can't quite decided on it tone. It's a shame really, as I found myself enjoying it to begin with. Depp plays it just off-kilter enough to add some humour to the proceedings. Jolie adds the right amount of mystery that's perfectly suited to her character and the art-direction and cinematography are vibrant and wonderful to look at. As the film goes on though, it gets less humourous, more incongruous and as a result ends rather ridiculously.
Grand in it's scale yet very light in it's content. It didn't know whether it wanted to be a thriller or a romantic-comedy. It attempted both but succeeded at neither.
Pedro H

March 23, 2011
The Perfect Trip - The Perfect Trap

A romantic action packed, laugh out loud spy thriller

This fun and worth-watching thriller outspeaks itself and proves to be really fun! I personally enjoyed every part of it.

For those of you who missed movies like Oceans or other type of movies! The basic story is, Elise (Jolie) is sent on a mission, and part of her mission is to get a tourist, Frank (Depp) and make it look like her lover, a gangster by the name of Alexander, she uses Frank as a disguise and trap for the mafia and police to chase after him.

The acting and the cinematography is aesthetic, Angelina Jolie in Veneza, really theres nothing more visually pleasing than that. . Overall the acting is satisfying, Jolie is as sexy as can be, Depp is funnier here than he was in 'Pirates of the Caribbean' as Jack Sparow, believe it or not, because not only is he funny, he is just so believable. Than there is Bettany who plays a vital role in a very fun yet intellectual manner.

Overall, fun, and worth watching

Elise: " You're a part of a plan. "
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

May 16, 2011
Not as bad as critics said but very mediocre, bland performances but nice scenery.
deano
deano

November 21, 2010
This mystery film takes its dues from Hitchcock's mistaken identity thrillers, in which the wrong man is pursued for his association with the wrong woman, with Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp as modern day counterparts to Cary Grant and Grace Kelly.
The Tourist is light on action, but long on elegance, with Jolie costumed and coiffured for a high-end glamour shoot in every scene, and Depp carrying off a white tux and frilly shirt in the Big Ball sequence. Depp's Frank is delightful and slighty mysterious and Jolie's role is more limiting, but she still makes it fresh and - yes - deeply amusing.
Add to that the utterly magnificent Paul Bettany, Timothy Dalton, a few stereotypically dim Russian gangsters and Rufus Sewell, and there's no way you can go wrong.
Roy G

November 17, 2010
There is a moment in "The Tourist" when Johnny Depp turns to Angelina Jolie and asks "Why is all this happening?" It's a question moviegoers will be asking themselves as well.