97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

The Tourist Reviews

TheFeldster
August 20, 2014
"The Tourist" gets a really bad rap from the film critic world, but in my view it's very largely an undeserved reception. It may be due to the film's baffling Golden Globe nominations, that everyone feels the need to stomp heavily on the film to make a point - but it does come across as a bunch of fools who can't see the fun side of a movie.

The story follows the travels of Frank and Elise. Frank is an American schoolteacher, who recently became a widower and is currently travelling through Europe to try and reconnect with life. Elise is associated with a fraudster, dating a man who stole untold millions from both the UK Government and the Mob. When Elise meets Frank, she tries to convince the authorities that he is the criminal, sparking an international game of cat and mouse.

The film stars A-listers Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. Whilst Depp seems to be having a lot of fun with the role, his chemistry with Jolie leaves a bit to be desired, and Jolie's acting abilities within themselves have never really inspired me, to be perfectly honest. The film also features Paul Bettany, Timothy Dalton and Steven Berkoff in supporting roles.

It's basically a fun movie. There's a twist in there that could surprise some (although it's not half as clever as it thinks it is), but really, the fun here comes from the script and the Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck direction. A good way to spend an evening, no doubt.

7/10.
Mark S.
August 23, 2014
I stayed awake so that counts for something. Not too difficult to see through the plot and I enjoyed it to some extent. Ultimately, however, the film lacked any sense of spark, drama or tension. I really like Angelina Jolie, the woman but found her attempt at being stylishly and elegantly mysterious not very convincing. She tried. It just didn't come off.
Al H.
August 18, 2014
Top notch acting with a surprisingly twist and well written story. Doesnt deserve the bad rep.
August 16, 2014
Me pareció una parodia de la clásica historia de espías y ladrones. Simplemente entretenida.
bravesnation23
August 15, 2014
I actually had no real desire to see this movie, but it was more of a netflix queue. However, I was pleasantly surprised. I had mixed feelings going in as I'm a big angelina jolie fan, but feel the exact opposite about johnny depp. However, he was great! There is a good supporting cast as well. The story had romance, action and comedy. Pretty difficult to incorporate all three of those successfully. Not to mention the plot was pretty interesting and a good ending as well. definitely a movie for lots of different audiences. Worth a rental for sure.
July 25, 2012
The beginning is interesting, but then it starts to drag on too long. Everything that happens seems fake. There are too many twists and turns to the plot that make it very annoying.
Giovanni M.
August 6, 2014
Chemistry free and the only humor is unintentionally, The Tourist spectacularly fails on every level despite it's leads.
August 1, 2014
Romantic, entertaining and love the chemistry between johnny depp and angelina jolie
July 29, 2014
Absolutely dreadful. Johnny depp is miscast and Angelina Jolie thinks she is on the catwalk
July 24, 2011
The Italian scenery of this film is its only asset (and unfortunately, this time, that does not include Johnny Depp). Despite the flirty dialogue, there is no sexual tension to make the story convincing.
July 18, 2014
It is all just silly and takes itself too seriously.
Lucas A.
May 2, 2014
"O Turista" é excitante e de tirar o fôlego, apesar de ser clichê e um tanto mais romanceado. A história de Frank, um turista americano que conhece uma mulher misteriosa num trem em Veneza e se apaixona por ela pode ser um pouco bobo, mas até que dá um suspense eletrizante. A estréia do diretor alemão vencedor do Óscar, Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck em um filme de língua inglesa é cheio de surpresas, mas um pouco 'confuso' em seu mais novo filme. Enfim, "O Turista" é ágil, romântico e bem elétrico.
Vinny B.
June 28, 2014
Please Please make more movies like this one! I loved all of it. The critics here clearly have no taste for the finer things in life. We need more movies like this one
June 3, 2014
Although the film is mainly just to watch Jolie and Depp, the story itself is just quite ordinary not much special about it. With it's beautiful cinematography of the locations of France and Italy this film at times does give some moments but not much is offered in this film. It's still somewhat interesting but not highly entertaining.
May 28, 2014
The Tourist is one beautiful movie with a promising start but once Depp and Jolie meet up, it becomes boring and ridiculous.
April 25, 2014
A horrendous lack of chemistry between two incompatible actors, combined with the most predictable and disappointing "twist" ending I've ever seen make the Tourist one of the worst movies I've ever had the misfortune of watching.
May 16, 2014
Aunque los escenarios y los protagonistas son de primera la película no logra nada mas que algo tonto y sin sentido que no se define entre drama o comedia
December 28, 2010
Good bits: It's set in the beautiful city of Venice.
Bad bits: The rest
Frickin' tourists.
May 9, 2014
Nice cast and even nicer plot. Interesting and entertaining.
Matt H.
April 27, 2014
The Tourist doesn't amount to much more than a rehash of "The Lives of Others" with different actors and different scenery. It's slightly predictable, and the story mostly falls flat and is a little bland. But, it's the acting and scenery that are its saving grace. Jolie and Depp are excellent, even if they have almost no chemistry.