—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Tower Heist Reviews

Everett J

November 13, 2011
Re-watched this last week and I gotta say it holds up very well. Still pretty funny, and definitely a good re-watch around Thanksgiving time.
***

Original review "Tower Heist" is kind of like a comedic version of the "Ocean's 11" movies. Alan Alda plays a millionaire who invests his workers pensions fraudulently, then loses it all. While awaiting his trial the workers, headed by Ben Stiller, decide to plan a heist and steal their money back from his penthouse apartment. The heist is very entertaining and pretty clever(although parts are predictable). The cast is very well rounded with Eddie Murphy, Michael Pena, Casey Affleck, and Gabourey Sidibe all taking part in the heist and providing plenty of laughs and some memorable lines. While the movie probably won't be remembered as long as some of Stiller and Murphy's other notable movies( "Meet the Parents", "Nutty Professor"), it is still worth a watch, and I could see a sequel coming out down the line. Good fall comedy if you need a laugh or just need to kill an hour or so.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

December 16, 2010
Tower Heist had a great cast of actors to be such a bad film. I guess I expected more considering the actors the film had lined up. The movie was kinda funny. It had interesting characters, but I think what really made this film fall flat was the story. It wasn't too original and the whole take from rich and give to poor Robin Hood syndrome has been done so much. The film had moments and not enough of them to deserve more praise then what little I am giving it. I loved Gabourey Sidibe. She was the best part of the film. Eddie Murphy was over the top in his performance and ended up just annoying me. Not the best they could have done with a cast like this and it's a shame.
thmtsang
thmtsang

November 13, 2011
Funny movie, great cast. Inspired by Ocean's Eleven. A group of ex-employers led by Josh (Ben Stiller) break into the Tower to steal millions from its owner. The owner Shaw stole their pension fund and caused their friend and colleague Henderson to jump in front of a train. Slide (Eddie Murphy) is a crook that Josh enlists to teach them how to steal. All the interactions with Slide are hilarious but you can't help but think it's Donkey from Shrek talking. My fave character is Charlie (Casey Affleck). He is not very good at anything but is at the mercy of his brother-in-law Josh.
Anthony L

August 2, 2012
Pleasantly surprised, Tower Heist isn't half as bad as I'd been lead to believe. I thought the cast were good and worked well together, I liked the story, I didn't find it predictable and I liked the end. I was entertained pretty much throughout and I even laughed a couple of times. Very easy viewing.
Cynthia S

October 24, 2011
Fun movie with some rather funny scenes. Decent cast. Not the best movie, but definitely nothing too much to complain about.
cosmo313
cosmo313

October 9, 2011
For a breezy, star studded crime caper comedy, I didn't expect this to have the amount of genuine suspense that it did. Seriously, this one had my attention, and actually seemed like something was at stake.

However, it's all pretty generic and by the numbers, and there's not a staggering amount of weight, so some of the more suspenseful stuff just seemed all for naught by the end, but hey, it's never boring, even if it doesn't try as hard as it should, espeically given the timely nature of the material since it's about a group of working stuff who plot to get revenge on the billionaire who stole their retirement funds.

There's a large well known cast here, but none of them are all that interesting, mostly because the film isn't concerned with having a sharp script. That's one of the major things that sets this apart from the Ocean's films, well, also the fact that Ratner can't compare to Soderbergh, etc. But, the film is really pretty stinkin' funny a lot of the time. There's some missed opportunities, and some of the stuff (like Gabourey Sidibe as a Jamaican maid) is a painful regression, but Murphy delivers some of his best (funny) work in a very long time, and he's definitely one of the best parts of the movie. Sidibe did okay with the material, but it just upsets me that they couldn't have done something more original. Alan Alda is also good as the Bernie Madoff type of antagonist, but he's not quite as charmingly menacing and smarmy as I was hoping for. Still, not a bad job.

I'm all over the place when it comes to Ratner. He's far from being the worst, but the guy should be a lot better than he is, and it makes me wonder why he consistently putzes around with this kind of crap when he's capable of more. Hmm, maybe he just likes delivering this sort of thing, and doesn't care.

Enough rambling. While the film does have some good moments, and is admittedly really entertaining, it's really not all that special or innovative, or especially memorable either.
Dean !

June 11, 2012
A decent comedy with a good assembled cast line up. It has quite a lot of funny moments but to be honest when I first saw the trailers I thought this could be a classic. Unfortunately it didn't reach that level, but still worth a viewing for a few laughs.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

June 7, 2012
Ben Stiller steps way out on this one and does an excellent job in his part. Eddie Murphy still has it but plays his typical part and his acting is the same as seen in many past movies. The story line is incredible and rivals the scandal that went on with Bernie in NYC months back. Lots of action and overall a very enjoyable movie. 5 Stars
Jason C

November 18, 2011
This film was forgettable. Literally. It seemed decent enough while we were watching it, but the next day I could hardly remember anything I viewed. I'm not sure that anything that has any value merits such a response. Ben Stiller and Eddie Murphy have been past their primes for awhile, but I don't remember if that's true in this film. I most certainly can't say I recommend this movie, since I'm not even sure if I actually even watched it. Well, whatever.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

November 20, 2011
Ordinary guys. An extraordinary robbery.

Good movie! It is actually very entertaining and the performances from the entire cast are solid. I laughed a lot and more than I expected. It also has quite a few twists and turns which I wasn't expecting and which should keep you interested. The chemistry between Ben Stiller and Eddie Murphy is very good too and they both provide a couple of very memorable scenes. If you are looking for something to pass the time this movie would be a very good choice.

Josh Kovacs is the manager of a residential apartment in New York. He is close to all the tenants, especially Arthur Shaw, a financier. One day Shaw is arrested by the FBI for fraud. Josh thinks it's a misunderstanding that can be resolved. But later he learns that the employees' pension which he asked Shaw to handle is gone. When one of the employees tries to kill himself, Josh's views of Shaw change. He goes to see him and loses his temper. He loses his job. The FBI agent in charge of Shaw tells him that Shaw might walk and recovering the pension fund is unlikely. She tells him that it's been rumored that Shaw has 20 million laying around if he needs. Josh thinks he knows where it is. So with two other employees who also lost their jobs and an evicted tenant, they set out to get into Shaw's penthouse to get the money. But they realise they need the assistance of someone who knows what they are doing. So, Josh asks a guy he knows is a thief named Slide to help them.
skactopus
skactopus

April 30, 2012
Brett Ratner decides to travel down the comedic crime path with Tower Heist. Does it pay off? Not really.The plot behind this picture is far from elaborate, yet at the same time, it is acceptable enough to not be considered a joke. Complete with plot holes and a lot of early story buildup, 100 minutes of screen-time seemingly passes by without much to like or hate.A drop dead humorous film this is not. The laughs are minimal with only a few chuckles to be had, but this is needed since it is very difficult to take the cast of characters very seriously with a complex and luxurious heist job; however, this film does show small spurts of that.There really isn't anything outside of the box when it comes to the performances. Most of it comes down to the characters themselves. Ben Stiller and Eddie Murphy are just as expected. They get the job done. Nothing more, nothing less. The same can be said about the rest of the supporting cast.At the end of the day, Tower Heist is part comedy and part caper. It doesn't excel in anyway. It just gets by.
Crash E

April 19, 2012
Funny enough, especially eddie murphy, and I liked the end because it was so real by going to the jail.
Alexis N

April 6, 2012
I don't really know what to say about this movie. i liked it. It was funny. The Robin Hood plot has been done before, but I would still say, "See it.. on tv or Netflix."
Drake T

March 28, 2012
Pretty solid for a heist film but the humor's not exactly as in your face or outright hilarious as a comedy should feel (especially one with stars like Stiller and Murphy who're both well versed in the genre.)

It's a shame because the film had plenty of heart, drama, a solid story (though not as multi-layered as you'd hope) and a great cast that was grossly underused. (I wanted to see more of Jamaican lady and just everyone!). Still, with films like Oceans Eleven setting the bar you can't help but feel that an iconic, rememberable aspect of the movie just wasn't there.

By no means a terrible movie, it delivers enough laughs and suspense to be worth the watch but just doesn't really carry through with enough gusto/chemistry to leave an impression.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

March 14, 2012
three stars
Dr114
Dr114

March 8, 2012
It's not cool and slick like most heist films, it's more of a normal guy kind of heist film. It's a comedy, but the only thing that was funny was Eddie Murphy (Who I thought should of been in it more than he was.) When the film eventually gets to the scene where Ben Stiller's character decides to assign Eddie's character to teach them how to steal, the movie starts to get good. And when the film gets to the big heisting, you really have to suspend your dis-belief as to whats going on. None of it rose to greatness, it all ended up being decent. Though it did show a cool return for Eddie Murphy as the funny man he is. Overall it was a fun time, but nothing to write home about.
3niR
3niR

February 29, 2012
Loved it.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 14, 2011
Brett Ratner's Tower Heist is a decent heist flick, and is probably Ratner best film since Red Dragon. Tower Heist is not a great film by a long shot, but it still manages to be fun. Usually I hate Brett Ratner's films, I find him to be a very so-so director. This film is one of his better efforts. Tower Heist however is derivative from other heist flicks, and though is entertaining and fun, it uses a tired out formula. Tower Heist is a film that despite good moments, simply isn't a memorable film by any means. The film has good comic bits here and there, but it's not as funny as what people have claimed it to be. Tower Heist is not the type of film that demands multiple viewings, this is pretty forgettable in the long run, and there are far better heist films than this film. Tower Heist is a big cliché riddled film that uses every element from the genre to create a crime-capper comedy flick. Ratner is a director that can't seem to direct consistent films that are great, Red Dragon was good, but afterwards he just made crap. Tower Heist is simply a decent heist film with a few comic bits here and there. The cast are good, and do what they can with such a tired out formula. Tower Heist definitely a flawed film, but manages to be a good time despite the predictability of its plot. A decent film to watch, and considering that this is directed by Brett Ratner, this isn't too bad. However Tower Heist is not the type of film that you'd want to rewatch.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

November 13, 2011
Tower Heist was a decent film that mainly succeeds because it has brought back the funny side of comical genius Eddie Murphy. Lets face it, Murphy has had a rough few years but hopefully this means he is going to return from his stupid schtick and return to his days where he was the funniest man alive. Other than that this is a slappy comedy that did not need to be a heist film. If the movie stuck to comedy it would have been better but overall it got very boring near the end and I did not laugh as much as i had hoped (with the exception of Murphy). Sad thing is that this is an all star cast with actors like Ben Stiller, Casey Affleck, Mathew Broderick, and Alan Alda but none of these men were even close to Murphy in this film and he is what saved it from sucking completely. I am going to be generous with the film becaus eit was able to give me hope in the future of Murphy's career but other than that I was very disappointed with the film and think it would have been better if they payed less attention on the story and more on comedy, like The Other Guys for example. Do not see this film looking for a laugh riot because you won't find it.