Weekly Ketchup: Pixar Secretly Working on Toy Story 4?

Summary

This Week's Ketchup includes news about possible sequels Toy Story 4 and Green Lantern 2, potential new roles for Denzel Washington and Haley Joel Osment and a few other unexpected adaptation concepts (like a movie based upon Disney's The Matterhorn). Back to Article

Comments

Sean N.

Sean Nasuti

Toy Story 4- Let's hope Hanks was just kidding. Isn't Toy Story 3 supposed to be the end????

Thor 2: Hopefully they can get someone as good as Branagh to direct this one.

Jul 1 - 06:10 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

dude, its like back when I was a kid: FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE FINAL CHAPTER . . . then came FRIDAY THE 13TH: A NEW BEGINNING./// in my twenties it was FREDDY'S DEAD: THE FINAL NIGHTMARE . . . then came WES CRAVEN'S NEW NIGHTMARE.

THE DICE ARE LOADED!!!!! Movie-series never end!!!!!

Jul 1 - 06:15 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Then there was Star Trek: The Final Frontier . . .then came Star Trek: Generations. C.R.E.A.M . . . Cash Rules Everything Around Me (WU TANG CLAN). Money and Box Office Receipts Rule sequels.

Jul 1 - 06:18 PM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

Agreed, except for the part about the high emotional note. The highest was in Toy Story 1, but then they decided to follow the same basic story structure for 2 sequels: Toys are all together . . . . . Woody separated from group . . . . . rest of group looking for woody . . . . . woody leads friend(s) home . . . . . everyone realizes they are toys and will always have a special place in Andy's heart regardless of how often he plays with them . . . . . cue Randy Newman song . . . . . roll credits. The fact that people gushing over TS3's brilliance didn't seem to mind this annoyingly repetitive pattern only meant that Pixar could now utilize this pattern as the backdrop of as many sequels as it can produce, all while still claiming that its "what the fans are clamoring for" . . . . . right, that and another SAW movie.

Jul 1 - 06:15 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

Leaving the story aside, which is indeed a rehash of the same ones, I think the final minutes, as a coming of age story where Andy says goodbye to his toys and becomes an adult, but plays one last time with them, that part was really emotional (at least for me, it took me to when I had to give up my toys, but mine were aliens, predators and stuff like that lol). If they keep adding chapters, even if they use a different formula, I am just not gonna give a crap about Woody, Buzz and the rest of the guys.

Jul 1 - 06:55 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

THE DICE ARE LOADED!!!!! Movie-series never end!!!!!

Jul 1 - 06:15 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Jul 1 - 06:18 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Jul 1 - 06:18 PM

Alexson Philip

Alexson Philipiah

I have a feeling that Tom Hanks probably doesn't really know THAT much about Pixar and their way of making movies and stuff, and he probably just said ye i think their working on it, in a way that wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I guess he didn't realise that people would freak out by that news and just said it. I'm gonna continue to tweet pixar, ahhah and see what they say about this news.

Jul 1 - 06:47 PM

nongshim

Kathryne C

i wonder how a matterhorn movie would play out.

Jul 1 - 06:51 PM

Lumbergh Phucter

Jamie Eakins

It'll probably puke out another eccentric, star turner role: Drake Bell as John Jacob JIngleheimer Schmidt! Cue some autotune flavor of the month dubstepping that song...

Jul 3 - 03:38 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I hope Pixar does not do a Toy Story 3. It is not that I have lost complete faith in them after Cars 2, it is that the third movie wrapped things up perfectly. I really cannot think of a franchise that ends on a more perfect note. It was beautiful.

Man of Steel's cast is excellent, Meloni is a good addition.

I find it ironic that there are so many freaking Frankenstein movies in development, and the first one to actually get made is going to be an out of nowhere indie movie. Still waiting on Del Toro's Frankenstein before I get pumped for one of these movies, though.

The news that a director's cut of Green Lanter is out there, and that it is very different from the theatrical version has me very curious. Did the Warner Bros executives screw Martin Campbell's vision (the head guy there was fired a few months ago, and he is the guy who greenlit films like Nolan's Batman movies, Watchmen, The Hangover, almost all of Clint Eastwood's films over the last few years, and of course, Green Lantern. Maybe the new guy that replaced him wanted the movie cut down to something more commercial)? Maybe that is why Campbell was saying he was not coming back for a sequel before the movie even came out.

And Heart of Darkness in space? Are you serious? Coppola already did a loose adaptation of it that was, in many respects, better than the source material. Apocalypse Now is considered to be one of the greatest movies ever made, and while it had many, many differences than Conrad's novel, the movie has become synonymous with the source. Also, the fact that it is going into space just makes me think they are going to throw some crazy crap like aliens or something in it instead of tribals, which will undermine much of the point to Conrad's story in favor of spectacle.

Jul 1 - 06:51 PM

Geoff O.

Love Stallion

Man, I agree. Toy Story 3 would be the worst....

Jul 1 - 09:41 PM

Sean Y.

Sean Y.

I know, right?
A third one would be such a terrible idea.

Jul 1 - 11:49 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Damn typos!

Jul 2 - 07:47 AM

Lumbergh Phucter

Jamie Eakins

Damn lack of an edit function. Hey RT, get bought out by another company that actually give a fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

Jul 3 - 03:41 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

@ King Crunk:

Toy Story 4 - I feel the exactly the same way, but as others have pointed out, the ending of TS3 could in many ways be seen to be ambiguous enough to allow Pixar with room to produce a TS4. Who knows, right?

Man of Steel - Wonderful cast. Let's hope and pray that it was a rock solid and absolutely fool-proof script that got their signatures. I simply don't believe that so many quality actors would join a project like this if it wasn't good enough. Here's hoping our optimism hasn't been woefully misplaced :P.

Green Lantern DC - My first thoughts after watching GL were that I simply could not believe that a film by a director like Martin Campbell, would have so many inconsistencies with plot, pacing, dramatic and comedic elements etc. In spite of undoubtedly impressive effects, many parts of that movie just didn't seem to fit well together. I really hope that we do get a DC because I refuse to believe that the theatrical cut was what Campbell would have envisioned.

Heart of Darkness/ Into the Darkness - I love science fiction, so I will probably be watching Into the Darkness when it comes out lol

Jul 2 - 11:48 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

If you read the link in the Green Lantern story, one of the guys involved with the production highlights many of the changes made to the cut Campbell produced, and it does sound much better. According to the article, Hammond was the focus as the bad guy, with Parallax being a third act reveal instead of the main opposition, Sinestro had a bigger role so that his turning into a Yellow Lantern is more rewarding (him and Kilowog are both in the final battle, as well), the training sequence was much longer, to the point that it says almost all of it was cut from the theatrical version. Most of the narration, which caused the movie to be overloading information to the viewer most of the time, was not in Campbell's cut, instead all of the answers were revealed much more organically through Jordan's own curiosity when arriving and training on Oa. There were also more flashback scenes involving Jordan, Carrol Ferris, and Hector Hammond as children, which helped define there relationships better instead of just having the one awkward flashback scene, as well as the out of nowhere revelation that Hammond and Jordan know eachother. If all that information is true, it sounds like it would most definitely be a stronger movie, possibly even a good one.

Jul 3 - 09:38 AM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

Jul 1 - 06:55 PM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

True. . . . .an even number of NO's do cancel each other out . . . . .am i not incorrect?

Jul 1 - 06:56 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

I think Scott Loves him some Toy Story 4

Jul 1 - 07:05 PM

Scott Love

Luke Simpson

ha ha. :) NO

Jul 2 - 11:26 AM

MAMOVIES

Matheus Cassiano

How Toy Story 4 a fresh idea?

Jul 1 - 06:59 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Top stories are neither fresh or rotten. They're just the biggest news stories of the week.

Jul 1 - 07:53 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

I think Scott Loves him some Toy Story 4

Jul 1 - 07:05 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Jul 1 - 07:53 PM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Gone Girl Trailer