Toy Story Reviews

½ November 19, 2006
A classic.
Samuel Riley Samuel Riley
September 3, 2013
Arguably the biggest film of my childhood. Even today, I return to the film and recite certain lines because they are are so iconic or humorous. The voice cast of Tom Hanks and Tim Allen fit the characters of Woody and Buzz so perfectly, this film should be seen as a major highlight in their careers. From Pizza Planet, to Sid's House and the race for the moving truck, this film features plenty of memorable scenes and locations. Randy Newman's song "You've Got A Friend In Me" is undeniably one of the best songs to be featured in a Pixar film, shame it didn't win the Oscar for 'Best Original Song' that it deserved. Overall, this is my most favored Pixar film of all time.
PS: Steve Jobs personally funded Pixar to make this film possible. So those who grew up with this film, remember this is another reason on how Jobs changed the world.
Jens S
June 12, 2006
Pixar's first major smash hit and one of the first entirely computer animated films may not have aged well, considering the huge steps CGI characters have taken since 1995. Its biggest assets, a huge beating heart and a great sense of humor, still work so many years later and let you forget about the sometimes flat textures. The story, the characters and the jokes are what draws you into the story and soon after you forget you're actually watching an adventure about living toys. The great voice acting helps too, of course. The result, a glorious collection of exciting and fun action scenes, is so perfect, you sometimes feel the urge to clap applause in responds to the events on the screen. A classic.
Market Man Market Man
½ August 16, 2012
"Toy Story" has set the standard for animated films and has yet to be surpassed. So many iconic scenes and memorable characters. It's a classic and deserves to be. Surprising that the first feature-lengh animated film continues to be the best.
Eugene B
July 27, 2012
Pixar's first film kicks off in high gear with stunning visual effects and an outstanding plot. The voice and charisma of Tom Hanks and Tim Allen provide for a great performance and chemistry for its portrayed characters. 5/5
Bathsheba Monk Bathsheba Monk
June 21, 2012
Saw this on DVD after seeing Toy Story 3. Cute movie, some wonderful bits that you can only pull off in animation, like the evil child next door who tortures toys and Buzz flying around. I liked the plot line that the cowboy toy, who used to be the favorite, is no longer and how he deals with his rival. Very satisfying ending, which I think I can reveal without a spoiler alert because I am the last person on the planet to see this movie: when both Buzz and the cowboy are allies, the whole concept of which one is the kid's favorite is rendered moot when the boy gets a puppy. Animation has become so unbelievably sophisticated since 1995 when this was made, that I think I may have been expecting more in that department, but that's hindsight criticism. Very nicely done on all levels.
Christopher H
June 13, 2011
The start of Pixar's string of classic and masterful animated flicks.
Joe M
October 16, 2011
Seventeen years later it's still the best animated movie of all time for a reason.
KJ P
January 13, 2010
Tim Allen and Tom Hanks have some of the best "off screen" chemistry that I have ever seen. "Toy Story" was the first 'animated' film to ever be released, and as far as I am concerned, it is, and always will be the best! This kids classic tells a beloved story of how toys come to life and have enough emotions to feel guilty about themselves. I have never felt this much emotion from an animation film. "Toy Story" is easily the best kids film of all time. With a very creatively written script, a compelling story about "forgiveness and happiness," and a conclusion that left me with goosebumps, "Toy Story" is a true kids masterpiece!
Scott G
October 29, 2011
A masterpiece that emerged in the form of toys, a truly unique concept put into a magical experience which is aided by the blissful voices of Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, the best animated duo ever, don't tell me you've not put a video camera in your room hoping your toys come to life?
Joshua W
October 29, 2011
This film was an advance in animation and children films. The story is enjoyable, the actors are perfect, and my favorite animated franchise!
Directors Cat Directors Cat
August 15, 2011
An absolutely heartwarming classic that sets a benchmark for animation.
Alexander D
June 15, 2011
Fantastic
DreamExtractor DreamExtractor
March 3, 2011
Toy Story is a true masterpiece. Toy Story is about a kid named Andy who has a group of talking toys, and Andys favorite toy is a cowboy doll named Woody (Tom Hanks). On Andys birthday he gets a space ranger action figure named Buzz Lightyear, who actually believes hes a space ranger and doesnt know hes a toy, but becomes Andys new favorite toy. Woody being jealous accidentally pushes Buzzout the window and all the rest of the toys get mad at Woody but then Woody is taken by Andy to an arcade and Buzz gets in the car secretly. The two fight and fall out of thd car and become lost. They must get back to Andy and may soon realize how good a friends they become on teir journey. It was the dawn of new animation the day this was released. The plot was original, because every kid wonders if there toys are alive. The music is great, Randy Newmans music is amazing and his song at the start is one my all time favorites. This film is also hilarious beyond all belief, even adults will laugh. Toy Story is a american classic.
Eric A
July 31, 2011
My childhood should thank this movie for making it so awesome. CLASSIC!
movieguru12 movieguru12
February 19, 2008
Such a great movie. Tom Hanks & Tim Allen are amazing in these movies & I love the little green aliens. I also love the fact that I got to go to pizza planet when I went on a band trip to Florida this past November. I hope to get this one & number 2 & 3 on dvd.
TheDudeLebowski65 TheDudeLebowski65
July 10, 2010
Toy Story is a groundbreaking film in the special effects medium. This is the first computer animated feature length film. What we have here, is a superb film with great effects and a simple story. The crew at Pixar really did something special here, and Toy Story is a terrific film. From a film stand point, and I'm excluding the computerized stuff; Toy Story is a lot of fun to watch, the characters are funny and witty. And they each are amusing in there own way. Pixar struck cinematic gold with Toy Story, and they haven't made a single bad film since this one. Toy Story is a film for all ages and is a classic, I was ten years old when I first saw this film, and I recently re watched it, and I very much enjoyed this; just like the first time I saw it. A fun film definitely a must see. Toy Story is the perfect film to watch with your family. The film is non stop fun and is very entertaining. This is the film that has put Pixar on the map, and is one of the most groundbreaking films in computer animation. A wonderful accomplishment in cinema, Toy Story is a must see film and one worth watching again and again. The cast are wonderful and are very funny. The characters they portray are all memorable and funny. I enjoyed every minute of it, and Toy Story remains a childhood favorite of mine. Now in my mid twenties, I still enjoy this film and it has stood the test of time.
sergioogarcia sergioogarcia
July 8, 2011
You already know everything about Pixar and Toy Story. It changed the way to make animation movies. It became a phenomenon in 1 weekend and to us, those who worked with computers back in the 90s it was jaw-dropping. The music is fantastic and add the voices of Tim Allen and Tom Hanks. Wow.
jamers2011 jamers2011
½ August 3, 2010
THE animated movie! Pixar's 1995 debut film is one that is and will be remembered forever. It has launched a studio that has given us some of the best films in the past decades, and will continue to do so as long as it exists.

Although I feel Toy Story 3 is Pixar's best film, Toy Story gets similar praise. TS3 wouldn't have been perfect if this film hadn't been great.

An epic, classic film. One of my favorites as a kid, but it still has the goods for entertainment now.
murphmann93 murphmann93
June 24, 2011
A childhood favourite and a classic!