10 Must-See 3D Movies On Their Way

With Toy Story 3 coming to cinemas, we cast our eye over the upcoming 3D films to watch

It's the future, or so we keep being told, but while every second movie seems to be getting the 3D treatment in the wake of Avatar's world-conquering success in the format, when you see Pixar's forthcoming Toy Story 3 -- which makes outstanding use of the third dimension, in service of a great story -- it's easy to see how the horizons of cinema as we know it could well change to embrace the technology. To mark the release of the Disney-Pixar film, Rotten Tomatoes put on the 3D goggles and took a look into the near future, to bring you a preview of 10 of the must-see movies on their way over the next year...

Despicable Me

Despicable Me is the first feature co-directed by Chris Renaud, who was Oscar-nominated for his short No Time For Nuts, which starred prehistoric saber-toothed squirrel Scrat from the Ice Age series. Realizing that such supporting characters -- think also the penguins of Madagascar and the Little Green Men of Toy Story -- often steal the show, much of Despicable Me appears focused on Gru's relationship with his overall-wearing popcorn-a-like minions. These creatures are sure to be a hit with the kids, while the stellar voice cast, which includes Russell Brand, Kristen Wiig, Danny McBride and Ken Jeong, ought to keep parents amused. The crazed scenario, which lends itself to dozens of minion-launched rockets and roller-coaster 360-degree spinouts, should ensure the 3D is used to maximum effect.

Frankenweenie

If you've never seen Tim Burton's 1984 short, do yourself a favor and watch it on The Nightmare Before Christmas extras. Shot in beautiful B&W that anticipates the classic Hollywood horror flavor of his later Ed Wood and offering the graveside humor of Beetlejuice and Nightmare, this has modern-day schoolboy Victor Frankenstein inspired by his science teacher's (cult legend Paul Bartel) frog-zapping experiments to use electricity to bring back to life his dearly departed doggie Sparky. Sympathy for the monster/outsider and terrifically droll dialogue (dad Daniel Stern says to mom Shelley Duvall: "I guess we can't punish Victor for bringing Sparky back from the dead") are other Burton trademarks that emerged fully formed. All that said, Frankenweenie is a linear 29 minutes and didn't reflect the filmmaker's original intention to make it in stop motion. Now, though, Disney is giving him creative control to design the characters and expand the story so that other schoolkids learn Victor's secret and start re-animating their dead pets. An uprising of zombie goldfish, iguanas, cats and dogs, conceptualized and made by Burton, in 3-D and in glorious black and white? Sold.

Drive Angry

Nic Cage chews the scenery and unveils absurd bouffants with pleasing regularity. But no matter how crazy his excesses in Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans or Knowing, we have a feeling we haven't really seen the full magic of his facial frenzy and follicular follies until they've been realized in three dimensions. Here's what you need to know about Drive Angry: He plays a dad tracking down those responsible for killing his daughter. It features a '69 Dodge Charger and a '71 Chevrolet Chevelle. Eye candy Amber Heard appears. So do David Morse and William Fichtner and a dollar'll get you two that they'll be playing bad guys. Tom Atkins shows up but we're betting he's too goddamned likable to be anything other than an old pal of Cage's character. And just to amp up the guilty-pleasure must-see vibe: Cage told MTV in April that a) this time he "dyed the hair [our italics] lighter because I think that's what the character should look like" and b) "There's a supernatural element to it as well, which is keeping with what my interests are right now." So, it's Ghost Driver, as conceived by Patrick Lussier, director of the My Bloody Valentine remake? Schlocktastic!

Sanctum

We didn't include Avatar 2 on this list because -- duh -- it's a given we want to see it. But before that we're keen to venture into the Sanctum, whose production James Cameron has been overseeing in Australia this year. The lean $30m film, which uses the Avatar cameras, is based on the real-life experience of Andrew Wight, an Aussie adventurer who led an underwater caving expedition that got trapped in a subterranean hell-maze for two days after a flash flood blocked the entrance to the system. Wight has since produced Cameron's Aliens of the Deep and Ghosts of the Abyss and is producing and writing Sanctum, with the film directed by compatriot Alistair Grierson, who proved his action and suspense chops with low-budget WWII flick Kokoda. RT saw some 3D proof-of-concept footage a few months back and can testify that visual immersion in the dark depths triggered all sorts of spine-tingling fear.

Piranha 3D

We love the 1978 original but recognize it as a cheap-ass cash-in on Jaws that just happened to be awesome because Roger Corman put Joe Dante behind the camera with a script from John Sayles. While it'd be a bit much to hope for the same winning combination of scares, schlock and spoof from director Alexandre Aja (High Tension and The Hills Have Eyes weren't exactly laugh riots) and writers Josh Stohlberg and Peter Goldfinger (Good Luck Chuck, Sorority Row) what is guaranteed are a lot of in-your-face piranha attacks. And with Eli Roth playing the MC of a wet T-shirt contest, you can count on at least some bad-taste laughs with the carnage. A couple of fun facts: the first Piranha spin-off was sequel Piranha II: The Spawning, which was the feature debut of 3Dmeister James Cameron, and there was a 1995 TV movie remake called Piranha, which marked Mila Kunis' first major role.

Comments

Luxo Jr.

Luxo Jr.

Megamind? That looks terrible!

Jun 7 - 12:44 AM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Yup. It looks like it wants to compete with The Incredibles, but there's no comparison. Incredibles was a super-hero movie, Megamind is a comedy first and a super-hero movie second.

Jun 7 - 07:18 AM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

Agreed, that's why I love The Incredibles. You'd think, because it's animated, that they'd have tried to make it comedy first, but it is a pure superhero movie that just happens to have comedic moments. The characters are given real conflicts and the villain, Syndrome, is actually quite evil.

Jun 7 - 08:05 AM

J R R Milton

james ferrera

I'm sorry but i need to disagree somewhat with your logic. The Incredibles is made to be a family comedy about the average family as super heros. It didn't just end up a comedy. It follows the same comic structure most Pixar movies follow (which is genius by the way). It is by far one of their best movies following only Wall-E in my opinion.

Jun 8 - 06:38 PM

Luxo Jr.

Luxo Jr.

But you've got to admit Megamind looks like crap. But then again, they way I feel about how this movie is the same I felt with How to Train Your Dragon, and then that turned out to be pretty good. So maybe it won't be too bad, not as good as HTTYD, but maybe Dreamworks might do well with this too.

Jun 9 - 12:04 AM

InsertUnameHere

InsertUname Here

I have a hunch Megamind is going to get a Rotten rating. Also with Alpha and Omega, I think that will stink.

Jun 15 - 04:36 PM

Chris O.

Chris O

r u getting me. this movies is going to be sick.

Jun 7 - 03:48 PM

Richard H.

Richard Han

I thought the same at first, this sounds like a conventional, wanna-be movie. But after reading the plot, it's... Not a conventional, wanna-be movie. It actually sounds quite interesting.

Jun 7 - 07:05 PM

Brendon D.

Brendon Day

Alien 5 (3D) looks terrible, i am not shocked it did not make the list. but it is due out in 2011 or 2012 and it is the start of a prequel series. terrible

just terrible. they should have ended it at 3

Jun 7 - 09:46 PM

Will J.

Will Jones

Alien 3 sucked dick becus Fox wudnt let Fincher's vision be realized. They should have ended the series after 2, which is the official end in my mind

Jun 8 - 01:08 PM

Brendon D.

Brendon Day

Good End. I cant Believe half of this crap is here and not Saw 3D. Say what you want against it, but it is better then most of that list

Jul 23 - 04:05 AM

Elaine g.

Elaine green

Hi, allow me invite you to my community:--== SEEKINTERRACIAL.C O M ==-- ( many sexy ladies and handsome guys seeking fun, friendship, love and even more!!!!!).Best single dating site in the world! It's where hot black and white can meet. No matter you are looking for a NSA or serious relationship, please do check it out! also you may find yourself more compatible with different cultures and ethnicities, either within your community, or abroad. You can sometimes learn valuable advice from other races on how to conduct themselves in a difficult situation. Join us and contact tens of thousands of hot black and white personals!It's where hot black and white who like them can get loved.

Jun 16 - 08:51 AM

elaine g.

elaine green

I love The World Cup! World Cup is about sportsmanship. My boyfriend and i both think so. He is a sexy black man,lol. I know him via *** (B lack wh ite Cupid)* .*{C00M} *** a nice place for black white singles, to interact with each other...no bounds or extremes in front of true love. . ...@love it

????????????

Jul 1 - 08:53 AM

Steviemus Prime

Steven Pryor

I'll wait for the How To Train Your Dragon sequel (maybe based on How To Be A Pirate) or Puss in Boots: The Story of An Ogre Killer. Tron Legacy will be great, I want to see Toy Story 3 again in 3D, and Piranha 3D will be silly fun. Even though The Last Airbender is iffy, I'll see it in 2D.

Jul 14 - 02:52 PM

tgibfo

Matt Ritchey

Or we could all just watch TOY STORY and TRON and go home.

Jun 7 - 01:05 AM

August M.

Agustin Macias

I second that.

Jun 7 - 07:19 AM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

I might check out Tintin since it's Spielberg, but I'm mainly waiting for Toy Story 3.

Jun 7 - 08:06 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

Tin-Tin, if I go see it, will be the strongest example I can *possibly* think of, of a director's attachment motivating me to see a movie, despite the material.
Granted, I haven't seen any promotional bits yet, and I have no idea where they're going to take this, but the cartoon looks quite possibly like the most boring, pedestrian throw-back to an era I have absolutely no attachment to. I still better freakin' LOVE the preview.

To put this in nerdy, SAT-like terms, Spielberg will be *necessary* but not *sufficient* to get me to see this film. ...wow. That looks even nerdier in print than in my head.

Jun 7 - 10:55 AM

Rusty Broomhandle

Jaco Gerber

Heh, I am a fan of Tintin since I grew up with it, but looking back at some of those comics, they are just downright racist. Perhaps in a more ignorant didn't-know-any-better old fashioned kind of way, but still. They can lose that part of it, but I do hope they don't lose the old-timeyness of it.

If the film is done in a true to source style kind of way, then I am pretty sure it won't be something you'd enjoy, Tombstone.

Jun 8 - 01:01 AM

mjprogue

Mike PArker

Did you really just call TinTin racist?

Jeezus f-ing krist this overly sensitive world we live in is freaking ridiculous...

Send me back to the 50s please...

Jun 8 - 11:16 AM

m w.

m w

I, on the other hand, will see "Tin Tin" *in spite* of the fact that Spielberg is attached.

The man has made three really good films in his career - "Duel", Jaws" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" ... and "Raiders" had a George Lucas script and Spielberg actually paid some attention to little things like schedules and budgets rather than going off on self-indulgent tangents, like the rest of his output.

Jun 16 - 08:15 AM

DroogsAhoy

m b

Yeah, Empire of the Sun, the Last Crusade, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan. What a bunch of crap. What a cool rebel you are. While you're at it can you let me know some indie bands that are not liked enough yet to still be cool? Thanks.

Jun 24 - 03:28 AM

Aurora B.

Aurora Bellard

dido. :)both of those look amazing with actual good storytelling and good characters.

Jun 7 - 08:08 AM

TribeTaz

Larry Myers

I am looking forward to Tron more than all the others.

Jun 7 - 09:31 AM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

I agree, Tron and TS3. Although Tron is probably the only one I'll bother seeing in 3D. The extra 3D effects are rarely worth the extra money I find.

Jun 7 - 10:22 AM

Rash Hunt

Rash Hunt

Is Sucker Punch like ***** Slap?

And what about those Smurfs?

Jun 7 - 01:39 AM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

The girl in the Sucker Punch pic looks like Charlize Theron, eh?

Will people be willing to pay $14-$20 to see a majority of these movies on a proper screen i.e. IMAX. 3D on your regular neighborhood theater just isnt the same. On smaller, wide screens, the 3D effect blurs and runs a bit. IMO at least. And they still charge more for the little crappy screens. Gotta pay for those sweet glasses I guess.

-Tron pic looks sweet, hesitant about the movie though.

-Piranha-lame. $$$ for this?

-Despicable Me-Home Vid like all the other kids movies.

-Adventures of Tin Tin - meh. (Wait for trailer I guess)

-Jackass 3D- Think about what they will have flying at you, and from where.

Jun 7 - 01:56 AM

Bjornar

A B

While I will agree that the IMAX 3D is the best venue (Avatar in IMAX 3D on a big big screen was better than Real3D on a standardly-large screen--but it was still good in both I think) this is why I love AMC midweek prices. I can hit Mon-Thurs $5, which makes 3D $8 so I can still chance a 3D viewing without feeling killed on the prices if the movie isn't great.

Jun 7 - 07:56 AM

m w.

m w

IMAX 3D is just the same prints that other theatres get blown up.

Jun 16 - 08:17 AM

branden c.

branden cristello

that's not abby cornish, it's nicole kidman, look at the icy stare.

Jun 7 - 02:36 AM

AlexDeLargeisHere

Harold Warren

I'll be seeing Tron: Legacy and Toy Story 3, The Adventures of Tin Tin. I'll be contemplating seeing Sucker Punch.

Jun 7 - 02:54 AM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

Where to go after JACKASS 3-D...

JACKASS 4-D: Smell-o-Vision. That'll leave 'em puking in the aisles...

Jun 7 - 02:59 AM

Hattori Hanzo

R W

Any 10 Must See Lists that includes Jackass 3-D pretty well sums up Michael Adams' taste and why Hollywood is in such a mess.

Jun 7 - 03:43 AM

Michael M.

Michael Morse

Tron and Sanctum sound pretty cool.

Jun 7 - 04:09 AM

The Stunner

Tiago Paulo

i want to see almost everything. but how does that jackass thing still gets commissioned? people really buy into that stuff, don't they? eesh!

Jun 7 - 05:13 AM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

Because it's cheap as hell to produce. Zero box office and luke-warm dvd sales would make back the studio's money. It's a smart investment, even if it's trashy cinema.

Jun 7 - 05:58 AM

Grashoppa-San

CJ Schroeder

Jackass is funny

Jun 7 - 05:30 AM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

Jun 7 - 05:58 AM

rahjelli

First Last

Guess Last Airbender doesn't count?

Jun 7 - 06:58 AM

Bjornar

A B

Nope Last Airbender is a conversion.

Jun 7 - 07:54 AM

Marlon E.

Marlon Elsbree

And it looks awful

Jun 7 - 12:29 PM

Will J.

Will Jones

And it shud have been left has a good tv series, not a crappy movie from Shamalamdingdong who always dissapoints

Jun 8 - 01:09 PM

Dawn E.

Dawn Exactly

Shamalan(Sp?) is sort of hit and miss, I agree. But, from the trailers, it looks like he really stuck with the tv series story and just made it live action. Am I reluctant? Being a huge fan of the television show, yes. But will I just decide it won't be good and not watch it? No. I am a little more open minded than that.
I am really looking forward to Tron and Despicable Me. Toy Story is a maybe.

Jun 16 - 07:12 AM

meinink2y

Clayton Walter

Despicable Me is hilarious. The 3-D is good but not breath-taking like How to Train Your Dragon, although the credits make some fun use of it.

Jun 7 - 07:02 AM

blattman

Mike Greenblatt

You saw it already? Do you recommend spending the extra money on 3D, or doesn't it matter. Dragon was worth seeing in 3D

Jun 8 - 12:45 AM

Jun 7 - 10:55 AM

Rusty Broomhandle

Jaco Gerber

Jun 8 - 01:01 AM

mjprogue

Mike PArker

Did you really just call TinTin racist?

Send me back to the 50s please...

Jun 8 - 11:16 AM

m w.

m w

Jun 16 - 08:15 AM

DroogsAhoy

m b

Jun 24 - 03:28 AM

Stark Industrialist

Daniel Morris

Green Lantern, anyone?

Jun 7 - 07:21 AM

Rockslide

Rocky Davies

With all the super expensive ticket mark-ups and other junk associated with getting my wife and I to the theater, Tron is the only one I actually see myself completing the hurdles for. I'll just wait and see a couple of the others at home in glorious 2-D.

I agree with some of the others that Megamind just doesn't look very good to me. It feels like a bunch of jokes that we've already heard and characters that we've already seen. I'd see it from Netflix but not for $10 a ticket.

@Stark - yeah where's GL, that's the other one I will see without even needing a trailer.

Jun 7 - 07:34 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

If anyone is interested in an animated humorous take on super villains, look no further than The Venture Brothers. Megamind sounds like a limp knock-off.

Jun 7 - 09:12 AM

Tall Cool One

Tall Cool One !

"The Venture Bros." is an awesome show, but I'm not interested in 3D after "Avatar" gave my fiance a 3 day headache...yeah...

Jun 8 - 11:05 AM

vashfanatic

Martha Boatright

"Sanctum" actually sounds vastly more intriguing than "Avatar 2," even with James Cameron's habit of making better (or at least as good as the first) sequels. As for the others... The character of "Metro Man" might have been amusing back when "metro" was common parlance. Right now it sounds like a "cash in on someone else's idea" movie.

As for "Tron"... ugh. As someone for whom the first movie was painfully illogical (computer programs have genders???) I can only hope this one makes more sense.

And continuing as Ms. Grouchypants, is giving Burton complete control over a project really a brilliant idea? Given the reviews of "Alice in Wonderland," I was thinking maybe he needs someone to reign him in.

Jun 7 - 07:44 AM

Bjornar

A B

Just wondering what a "logical" version of Tron would have looked like. I'm assuming the light cycles get to stay, and you better keep the disc chucking battles!

Jun 7 - 08:11 AM

Dawn E.

Dawn Exactly

Critics can say what they want....they call Alice a horrible remake. It wasn't a remake in the slightest. It was more about the Jabberwocky...the poem. If people read, they would get that. So, I think giving him complete control isn't a bad idea...I really don't think he has proven himself unworthy. Not in my eyes, anyway. Though, Alice in 3D was kinda lame. But that was only only bad thing I had to say for the movie. So, I will watch Frankenweenie for sure. The short is awesome. Nuff said.

Jun 16 - 07:16 AM

m w.

m w

Actually, i'd bet that "Metro Man" is a Superman riff, like "Metroville" in "The Incredibles".

Jun 16 - 08:19 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

only thing i'm looking forward to is Jackass 3d. if it ever comes out. its been "shooting" for like years now, its almost as mysterious as Arrested Development. hopefully it has enough flavor left to be good...

Jun 7 - 07:46 AM

mjprogue

Mike PArker

Seriously...mentioning Jackass in the same post as Arrested Development has to be some kind of crime...doesn't it?

Jun 8 - 11:41 AM

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies