"It's Toy Hell," Says Toy Story 3 Director

Summary

Expectations don't come much higher than those surrounding this week's 'Toy Story 3'. Arriving 11 years after 1999's 'Toy Story 2' upped both the box office and creative ante of the 1995 original, Pixar's threequel faces the daunting challenge of matching two predecessors that have a combined worldwide gross of $847 million and unparalleled critical praise (parts one and two currently sit at 100% "Fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes). More importantly, the films endure as part of audiences' collective experiences; people love this franchise, and it seems only the foolhardy would try and revisit it so many years later. Then again, this is Pixar we're talking about -- if anyone's going to break the curse of the part three, these guys probably have the best shot. RT spent some time with 'Toy Story 3' director Lee Unkrich-stepping into the hot seat having co-directed part two-and asked him what it was like to return to the series. Back to Article

Comments

Nick D.

Nick DeVito

great interview Lee, but um... did you just spoil the movie? :(

Jun 16 - 11:55 AM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

Disney did set the standard for animation and movies i wish the channel would realize that

Jun 16 - 12:01 PM

Chris H.

Chris H

"we were able to shut down the version of Toy Story 3 that Disney was doing on their own without us. " +100 respect to Pixar. Disney has a long way to go before they earn my respect again. princess and the Frog was great, mostly because it was a welcome return to Traditional Animation, but otherwise the studio has been in decline. At this point I would never trust them with a franchise such as Toy Story, I don't think they have the talent or creativity in the studio right now to do such an endevour correctly.

Jun 16 - 04:56 PM

Captain of Team Cutler

ron kruzel

You do know that John Lasseter and Ed Catmull are in charge of Disney Animation so to say they cannot be trusted with a franchise like Toy Story is idiotic

Jun 16 - 07:53 PM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

I think he may have been referring to WDA's management before the Pixar merger and before Lasseter and Catmull assumed control. Disney did have a non-Pixar TS3 in pre-production at that time since Pixar gave the character rights to Disney after TS1 (remember that Disney tried the same thing with TS2 before Pixar took over the project and bailed them out).

Jun 17 - 06:16 AM

Captain of Team Cutler

ron kruzel

Jun 16 - 07:53 PM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

Jun 17 - 06:16 AM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

Jun 17 - 06:16 AM

Barry F.

Barry Falls

Whoa, that's a lot of spam. But I saw the movie and thought it was really great. I honestly thought the first two were a little dull, even when I was a kid. I'm 18, just watching the third, and I feel like they really upped the action and intense scenes. One particular 15-second scene during the "prison-break" I thought was really scary because I didn't expect a scary scene in Toy Story, but it kinda was. You really get into the movie though. It's got a lot of great humor and a few entendres for the adults. The ending was great. I guess they director already kind of spoiled some of the movie, but I won't give anything else away. I thought it was a happy ending, but several girls that I was with at the movie theater left in tears, including my girlfriend.

Anyways, I only meant to do a short comment. But this movie is great. Go see it.

Jun 18 - 07:11 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Gotta remember the Disney Channel is aiming at very young kids and very young kids are for the most part morons. It's not like Sesame St is an epic masterwork, but it's good at what it does i.e. distracting children for a couple of hours so their parents can have sex.

Jun 18 - 09:07 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Again you've gotta remember those programs aren't aimed at you. I'm assuming your a legal adult, so you can't really judge the product. Remember your own parents opinions on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Transformers. Same principle applies. Those programs are aimed very specifically at a certain demographic and that demographic adores them. As much as we'd like it to be, the world isn't solely designed to amuse 20-40 something comicbook fan movie buffs. Only RT World is, and even they feed our hate with the occasional chick flick and get you guys riled up with Twilight.

Jun 18 - 09:10 AM

martinscorsese25

christopher cantos

folks look out for the MIYAZAKI nod from Pixar! trust me, it will make u smile.

plus the scene that everybody's talking about is not like UP where you'll immdetiately cry when you see the "marriage montage scene". here, the scenes everyone's talking about is subtitle and simple.. it's totally diferent from "moving" scene from UP!. you'll be surprise how PIXAR pulls your heartstrings wit this one.

Jun 19 - 07:30 AM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

I remember reading that years ago (before this version of Toy Story 3 was announced), and trying to get excited for it (I didn't know at the time that Disney was behind that story). I had wanted a Toy Story 3 for so long, but I was not intrigued by that plot at all. Still, I was disappointed when I learned it was cancelled. But when the Pixar version was announced, and when the plot was later revealed. I was much more intrigued.

And the movie obviously turned out great. Toy Story just wasn't meant to stink.

Jun 19 - 01:34 PM

Jennifer F.

Jennifer Filips

I completely agree.

Jun 22 - 12:42 AM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

Hey, I'm a teenager, buddy, and I know Armond's a moron!

Jun 19 - 01:34 PM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

I came closer to crying at the beginning and ending of Toy Story 3 than I did at any time during UP (Up is a great movie, though). But I honestly thought Toy Story 3's emotion somehow managed to be more powerful. MAybe it's because we've known these characters for so long.

Jun 19 - 01:37 PM

Emerald1234S

Stephen Murphy

Yes Disney are the single most important company in terms of progressing animated films in cinema history, but for the past 15 years or so they've been massively outdone in the animation department by Pixar and Studio Ghibli. Disney values are just outdated. In their entire history the only original film they made was The Lion King, whereas Pixar and Ghibli generally (not always in Ghibli's case) make original films. That has some bearing I think

Jun 19 - 01:38 PM

Emerald1234S

Stephen Murphy

I love when the directors and animators at Pixar refer to their films as their children. It just shows the level of care that goes into creating these films that are so beloved by so many people.

The antithesis of this is of course George Lucas who treats his films like whores to test out his new techniques on whenever he wants and then throws them back onto the street lookin like they've just been raped of all quality. Ahh, that man....

Jun 19 - 01:43 PM

Stark Industrialist

Daniel Morris

I'm a 20-year-old guy who was in the exact same place as Andy less than a year ago, looking at my old toys (mostly Batman and power rangers, and G.I. Joes) and having to decide what to do with them before I left for college. Being forced to choose between keeping or throwing away the toys you played with for almost half your life feels just like deciding to keep or throw away an actual child you've known just as long... no spoilers here but the final scenes of the movie truly brought tears down my face. There has never been, nor ever will be, a more wonderful and true and perfect series of films than Toy Story. Bravo, Pixar, for childhood immortalized.

Jun 19 - 04:00 PM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

With Toy Story 3, Pixar has shown me that they not only care about these characters, but that they care about how much WE love these characters, too. I can't remember ever feeling this fulfilled by a sequel, not even with Toy Story 2 (since it's not a closure like this one is).

Jun 19 - 05:30 PM

Box Office
Box Office

Planet Of The Apes Is No. 1

<em>Unbroken</em>
Unbroken

Trailer for Angelina Jolie's latest

<em>The Hunger Games</em>
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

<em>Jimi</em> Trailer
Jimi Trailer

Clips: Andre 3000 plays Hendrix!