Transcendent Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Transcendent Man Reviews

½ November 19, 2011
Sometimes a mind can be so brilliant that it can blinding, Technophile and Futurist Ray Kurzweil is accurately described by one person as a "profit" - he sees a Utopian not-too-distant future in which the merging of man and machine will result in immortality,super-intelligence and eventually, in "transcendent" beings. For most, his predictions will be beyond them or on the surface, well, insane. But given the incredible pace of advancements in genetics, nanotechnology and robotics/artificial intelligence, he cannot be ignored. His worldview presents the audience with one profound truth - the "singularity" - there will come a time in which human technology will move beyond human capabilities. The question heavily debated in this documentary is, what then? Do we merge with said technology, as Kurzweil suggests, or are we eradicated as useless pests "Terminator"-style as others have warned? As Ray Kurzweil comes to grips with his own immortality in this film, so too must we come to realize that we and perhaps our species, too, will die. But are death and extinction a natural, unavoidable part of life or simply another challenge to be overcome?
½ August 24, 2011
His ideas boggle your mind. I've seen this documentary twice in the past 3 days and I strongly recommend it. The structure of the doc. could have been presented better but regardless this is a must see. Really digest the ideas being spoken, by not just Ray, but the other speakers in the doc. as well. The Ending leaves much food for thought, on the possibilities of where technology may take us.
July 14, 2011
His ideas and logic may seem like that of a crackpot, but the documentary does present some very interesting topics...worth the time to watch for sure
June 23, 2011
Ray Kurzweil is brilliant and this is a fascinating look at the exciting (scary? profound? incomprehensible?) possibilities of our future. Necessary viewing for all intelligent humans.
June 2, 2011
Interesting ideas of the future of technology. Yes, computers someday will be smarter than humans. Yes, biotechnology will happen. I don't see the future being like a Bladerunner movie though. The ideas are interesting but the movie itself is not that entertaining.
May 20, 2015
Very thought-provoking.
August 25, 2014
Future. Hindi yung inuman sa cubao o yung iniisip mo kung sino mapapangasawa mo at ilan magiging anak nyo. Interesting, medyo napahaba lang ang paliwanag sa ilang konsepto.
September 2, 2013
Really interesting documentary on RayKurzweil who discusses his theories of people merging with Machines in the not too distant future. He articulately discusses his theories and their basis, and the documentary does a good job of presenting opposing viewpoints to allow the audience the opportunity to make up their minds on what they're hearing. This is a MUST watch in my opinion!
July 6, 2013
Fascinating. A scary glimpse at our technologically advanced future.
½ May 25, 2013
The singularity is near. The possible interconnectivity of humankind through use of technology is a dazzling idea, but few dare to dream as bold as Ray Kurzweil.
April 7, 2013
Death is a natural consequence of life, right?
November 17, 2012
It was interesting, but not entertaining.
October 24, 2012
Here's a challenge: find a more captivating persona than Ray Kurzweil. It can't be done.
August 8, 2012
Great introduction to the overlap predicted between genetic, nanotechnology and robotic (AI) fields, as the result of our rapid technology growth.

Being an optimist or pessimist will determine if this is an exciting or terrifying premise.
March 10, 2011
He is a brilliant man, but he lacks any grounding. Since he "prophesied" one aspect of technological advancement, he thinks he knows exactly what's going to happen. It's a matter of hubris not hope, even though he hopes, desperately, to stave off death indefinitely. The singularity, according to Kurzweil is slated for mid 2040s, and at that point everything we know will change, will accelerate beyond any normal human being's control and the AI, and any enhanced people, will take over, will determine the future at the speed of thought. Too soon? Despite our technological acceleration, everything else seems stuck somewhere between 0 A.D. and 1987. I guess the singularity will wipe all our problems away. Cure-alls don't have a good history, and this one will create more problems than any one genius can fathom.
½ June 19, 2012
Although Ray Kurzweil does not seem like the most humblest or approachable of human beings, there is no doubt that he is a genius and visionary. This documentary presents a well balanced depiction of what is truly possibly in the next half century. Personally, i find it a very engrossing topic and will be purchasing his book after watching this.
May 20, 2012
This documentary paints a picture of Ray Kurzweil as a prolific and productive genius filled with a desperate energy to prove to himself and others that technology can give us hope to avoid the ultimate human problem, which he sees as death. While perhaps a little light on explanations of the science, the film attempts to get to the heart of Kurzweil's vision from many different angles as well as serves as an interesting introduction to the idea that we are on the verge of some profound technological evolution.
May 3, 2012
An equally terrifying and inspiring look into the near future, "Transcendent Man" operates first as a provocative bit of speculative science (non)fiction, but gradually becomes a character piece about the tragic Dr. Frankenstein at its center.
½ April 22, 2012
Thought provoking subject matter. Low rating given to the filmmaking.