Summer Movie Scorecard 2011

Summary

The Summer Movie Scorecard gathers every big movie and blockbuster of summer 2011 and lines 'em up, ranked worst-reviewed to best. The Tomatometer percentages are listed for each movie, though we've also applied a formula (mathematical!) that, among other things, accounts for number of reviews for each of the movies.

All right! Put the shades back on and let's dive into Summer Movie Scorecard 2011! Back to Article

Comments

DJ A.

DJ Adams

RT sort of jumped the gun on making this list since the last summer movies don't come out until September 16. It's a shame too because Contagion, Warrior, and Drive could have been good additions to a rather mediocre list.

Sep 6 - 10:14 PM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

Eh, I think most people generally consider the last weekend of August to be the end of the summer movie season.

Sep 7 - 06:23 PM

DJ A.

DJ Adams

I do agree that that's what most people think, but since movies that came out September 2 were on the list I though they could've included all the September summer movies. Also I don't know too many people that would consider April the start of summer. I think thats a bit too soon.

Sep 8 - 11:08 PM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

I only saw Super 8 and Harry Potter (liked Super 8, loved Harry Potter). I want to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Winnie the Pooh, The Help, and I guess I'll rent X-Men First Class.

Sep 6 - 10:23 PM

SciFiMan

Andrew Turner

Harry Potter would have been better - had the script more closely followed the book - even in lord of the rings things were left out but the whole Aberforth thing and the story behind him and Dumbledor .... Could have made for a compelling side show (or separate film according to my better half)

Sep 6 - 10:34 PM

Myerla

Elliot Newton

The best film of the summer isn't even in there. Sadly, its only because it is a documentry.

Sep 7 - 04:39 AM

Swampfox

Pat Marion

Harry Potter, Rise of the Apes, X-Men, Super 8 were my top picks for this summer. Not a bad year.

Sep 7 - 06:16 AM

CoreyG

Corey Gallagher

Don't agree with many of the placings, but it's heavily based on the tomato scores so understandable.

Sep 7 - 08:07 AM

Dave J

In terms of action films is concerned, your "action" tastes differ from mine, since I look for realism and in terms of action is concerned and "Fast Five" is more realistic than say any action film that uses CGI whether it's Spiderman or the First Class. And besides that, you're not exactly a big fan of the Fast & The Furious series anyway, but you still contine to watch them because your peers do- my solution is, just say no and watch something else! I mean if you guys don't like those type of movies, they're alot of Hong Kong action films made during the 80's and 90's where the action sequences are thought up first before story and dialogue or even logic since they serve nothing more than a backdrop!

Sep 7 - 11:50 AM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

I stopped watching The Furious series after two because they weren't my cup of tea - but then I tuned into 5 because critics kept saying it was more in line with the action movies I like. Regardless, there is NO high horse for you to stand on saying that Fast Five is more realistic, logical, or plot-driven. Those more are the OPPOSITE. I'm not going to list all the reasons these movies weren't realistic - because it would be basically me copy/pasting the entire script. But please, let's not pretend like the Furious are anything but guilty pleasure movies.

Sep 7 - 12:56 PM

Dave J

@ Noah - I'm not talking about the script, but some of the "action" sequences are done with little or with no CGI, just some adaption with trick camera angles- the stunts are tested or tried out, otherwise the producers wouldn't have shown it at all. Most racing films don't need any CGI just alot of stunt drivers is what this film says it has. Watching "Fast Five" was almost like seeing something out of Shaft or something one could see from blaxploitation action cinema since alot of them are not serious with the thin story serving only as a backdrop!

Sep 7 - 05:18 PM

Dave J

And the next time I come across the DVD, I'm going to watch the making of it to see how realistically some of the action sequences were done! I mean I seen "Tokyo Drift" and aside from the bad acting, was still impressed because actual stunt drivers were still used!

Sep 7 - 05:43 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I am a big fan of late '80s, early '90s Honk Kong action films, and while many of them were all about the action and the plot was either on the back burner or was only there to give reason for chaos to break out, the action scenes were insanely well done. The Fast and Furious films are nowhere near the league of John Woo or Jackie Chan films from that era. The action is usually choppy, shakey cam aplenty, and it is one thing to go over the top within the bounds of logic, but the F&F movies just throw logic out the window, and that is why they get flack from a person like me, who is a serious action film fan. I love a gloriously stupid movie as much as anybody else (I smile from ear to ear during the entire run time of Planet Terror), but the F&F movies take themselves so seriously and act like they have something to say and that the characters matter, but the action scenes that break the rules of physics are in complete paradox with these gritty themes. It is hard to be afraid of Paul Walker dying when he cannot be killed by anything. Hell, none of the main cast are ever seriously wounded in those movies. It is ridiculous but doesn't realize it is. That is why it fails as a movie to me. And I saw the first one, watched the second on DVD with some friends, never saw the Tokyo one, went to see the fourth one because the girl I was with at the time was a big fan of them (needless to say, we are no longer together!), and I went to the fifth because reviews made it out like it was diffrent from the other ones, when it was anything but.

Sep 7 - 03:42 PM

Dave J

Then I'm going to have to say that "racing car" especially drag racing movies is not exactly your bag even though they were popular in Hong Kong way before they became popular in the United States eg "Legend of Speed", "Full Throttle" and "Thunderbolt" to name a few....As a matter of fact that was where the idea of "The Fast & The Furious" came from was from one of the low budget Hong Kong racing film except that Fast & Furious had a larger budget and can afford to wreck some pricy fake cars than the one shown on Hong Kong( I remember the name at one time because the complaint that this person had, was that the movie was careful not to wreck any vintage cars and that they working with a very low budget)! Also, real cars were used and actual stunt drivers almost killed themselves performing some of those sequences and that is more credible than almost all superheroe films ever made, in my opinion probably except The Dark Knight. Action films has many defintions, and my defintion is very different from yours! I mean, if it can be showned on "For A Few Dollars More" because that is where I think the idea came from- hauling or dragging a safe may or may not be possible, then it wouldn't have been shown on previous films made before it! Ridiculous it may be is not the point, but that the idea was never shown on the current crop of action movies made today using current setting is the real point here!

Sep 7 - 05:36 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

King - Thank you for everything you said. Minus seeing the 4th one, your words could've come from me. And I too can use suspension of belief - but Fast Five did unrealistic things even in the world they created. I tried SO HARD to just stay entertained, but I kept saying "no f*cking way" and falling out of that suspension. And I'm not buying this love for them since they don't rely on CGI. I'm sorry, but real crashes does not negate the logical/plot holes in a movie. And you are right, they took themselves seriously when there wasn't a reason for it.

Sep 7 - 07:54 PM

Dave J

Plotholes- you say then you should stop watching all Jackie Chan movies right now and altogether, since as you say "negate the logical/plot holes" even though it serves nothing more than as a backdrop for comedy and action sequences! I mean Jackie Chan's classic film Police Story Part 1 showed the most broken glass in movie history (even though it's fake)"but" by using your logic, actual people should've been killed going through even half of the broken glass showned on the film!

Sep 8 - 12:21 PM

Dave J

By using your logic, all Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan or Jet Lee movies especailly "Enter The Dragon" don't qualify since in real life, a single person can't really beat nor kill all those people simultaneously all at once and the proof is by looking at the UFC!

Sep 8 - 12:31 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Dude - simmer down. YOU are the one making it seem like logic is in the Furious movies - not me. YOU are the one saying if I don't like Furious movies, I must only like ones with no story. I'm just saying that you are putting Furious up on a throne of lies. I love mindless action movies like the next guy, but I hate the Furious series. I was merely pointing out the flaw in YOUR logic. So read your original comments, or back off.

Sep 8 - 06:19 PM

Dave J

But listen, I was just responding to your original comment "I'm sorry, but real crashes does not negate the logical/plot holes in a movie" that if you don't know how to ignore certain aspects of an action film as opposed to other action films. All it means is that you looked at "Fast Furious" films one way, while not looking at it at another! I never said that theirs anything wrong with that!

Sep 9 - 11:05 AM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

That's incorrect tho. I actually went to Fast Five expecting to like it - because according to critics, it wasn't like the others - and left hating it BECAUSE it was the same stuff I didn't like. That logic/plot points comment was based off of you saying that since I don't like the Furious series, I must like mindless action movies.

Sep 9 - 11:30 AM

Dave J

Actually, it's you that misinterpreted my comment- I just said that the action sequences were tested out before it was allowed to be showned on screen, but your original point was that the action stuff 'goes against any type of logic and common sense'! My point was that in real life 90%- 99% of action movies made today, goes against any type of logic and common sense, since a single person (the main protagonist)can't really knock out a bunch of people all at once in real life, but can only be "made" possible in films!

Sep 9 - 01:04 PM

Dave J

My other point was that the type of action films you enjoyed even more are CGI involved, than action films done in real life- theirs a difference! An example is Evil Knievel, do you have to know what the logic and story behind his motorcycle stunts or are you there to see whether or not he makes the jump?

Sep 9 - 01:10 PM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

The Furious movies are for 16 year old boys with small wangs that want to impress girls with cars because that is the best thing they have. Real men go elsewhere for action.

Sep 13 - 11:30 AM

Dave J

That's a stereotypical comment and people who say that means that you're a bum who can't afford an expensive hobby as luxious fast cars- Ferrai's and Lambourgini's are popular with few people can afford them because they can go fast not like your cheap volkswagon!

Sep 14 - 12:14 PM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

wow, insulting my car, Mr. small wang? I will take any luxury vehicle than your stupid suped up grand prix

Sep 14 - 12:21 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Hmmm...for once a Pixar film isn't the highest rated film of the summer. That's got to be the first time since the original cars 5 years ago. Anyway, nice to see Potter on top. A perfect way to end the franchise.

Sep 7 - 12:24 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Sep 7 - 12:56 PM

Sep 7 - 05:18 PM

Sep 7 - 05:43 PM

Brian B.

Brian Barreto

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II was easily the best film of the summer, IMO. It was dark, well-written, wonderfully acted, and not only emotionally stirring but also immensely entertaining as a spectacle as well. X-Men: First Class was the best superhero film of the summer. The weakest superhero film, which was also the most disappointing film of the year(so far), IMO, is Green Lantern. That film has scarred me beyond belief. The CGI and the acting weren't what killed the film, it was that script that killed generations worth of comics lore and mythology.

My Top-10 Summer Films this year are:

1-Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II

2-X-Men: First Class

3-Super 8

4-Rise of the Planet of the Apes

5-Thor

6-The Beaver

7-Midnight in Paris

8-Captain America: The First Avenger

9-Kung Fu Panda 2

10-Fright Night

Sep 7 - 01:04 PM

Brian B.

Brian Barreto

I would add "Warrior" in there, but I'm not sure if it constitutes as a "summer" film or a "fall" film. If it were to classify as a summer film, however, I would put it at #1, even higher than the epic Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II. It's the best film I've seen this year(so far).

Sep 7 - 01:08 PM

dyl p.

dyl perron

PG-13 shark attacks vs. smell-o-visison vs. a crap load of the worst smurf puns ever, I will go with the PG-13 shark attacks. What will you choose?

Sep 7 - 01:07 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Suicide.

Sep 7 - 07:54 PM

Brian B.

Brian Barreto

Sep 7 - 01:08 PM

Scott W.

Scott Weeks

Harry potter, Midngiht in Pairs x-men and planet of he apes were my faves!

Sep 7 - 02:15 PM

Jon J.

Jon Johannesson

Definitely Harry Potter for me, it's absolutely stunning. Everything about it was done so properly, I actually liked it more than the book it was based on.

Sep 7 - 02:21 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Best: Harry Potter, & Winnie the Pooh

Worst: Cars 2

Have yet to see anything else on the list.

Sep 7 - 03:03 PM

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Check out Boardwalk Empire

Historical TV Shows
Historical TV Shows

40 TV depictions of past eras

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer