Transformers 2 Scribe Sets Record Straight

Talks strike prep, promises "more balanced" story.

Now that the writers' strike has ended, Transformers 2 cowriter Roberto Orci sets the record straight. Michael Bay told Rotten Tomatoes that he continued writing during the strike, but, as it turns out, that isn't the whole truth.

"He just turned out treatment and transferred it to screenplay format. He picked a few characters from Hasbro and wrote what kind of things he needed in production, but he didn't write a script. We were involved up until the strike, and then shortly thereafter. Of course, it's a continuation of the first movie. It's the characters that we selected from the first movie, in addition to some of the ones we wanted to see that we couldn't put in the first one, and some of them were even in our original drafts."

Set two years later, the sequel has no need to introduce the Transformers. "Yeah, the first movie was very much structured as a mystery, such that the Transformers are revealed at sort of the midpoint. This time, this is a different structure, it's a different movie, it's a different story. The Transformers are there from minute one, and that's something that now we actually felt confident we could get away with, because we saw that it could work and that you could have these sentient robots and you're happy when they're onscreen."

Still, there will be opportunities for intimate comedy scenes, like the backyard sequence from the original. "It's still a continuation of these characters. Tonally, it's similar, if you liked the first one, you're still going to get that intimate story of who Sam is and what he's doing, but if you're a sci-fi fan, because we can start the movie much more Transformer-centric, it's a more balanced story with higher stakes -- as many sequels tend to be."

Comments

Big Gipp

Kyle Staten

Good to hear

Jul 21 - 01:18 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

The first one was pretty cool (B plus), I hope this one is better, I just hope they take out the stupid slo mo when there walking to army music scenes.

Jul 21 - 01:26 PM

quietus28

jj l

That slow-mo stuff and military eroticism is trademark Michael Bay; I doubt it's going to go away.

Jul 21 - 02:51 PM

Herberbaly

Greg White

It's nice to hear that it will be more robo-centric this time around. I really liked the first one, so it will be cool to see where they go from here. I agree with jokerboy, though, less army-fueled slo-mo music scenes.

Jul 21 - 01:45 PM

jeffcooper

Jeff Cooper

Haha. I love Bay Bashing! Yes, its a hate crime...

Jul 21 - 02:20 PM

Some guy you dont know

Bruce Campbell

The first one was awful. ZOMG IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!!

Jul 21 - 02:26 PM

quietus28

jj l

Jul 21 - 02:51 PM

Ryguy_TX

Ryan Waychoff

As long as Megan Foxx is in it again ill see it

Jul 21 - 03:05 PM

ChuckW

Chuck Warren

I like the military stuff. Bay is one of the few directors that is willing to forego the usual America-bashing and dim-witted portrayals of the US military. Its about time someone is willing to show them as the competent fighting force they really are.

As for the movie being "more robo-centric", good! I don't show up at a Transformers flick to see Shia LeBouf or even Megan Fox. I show up to see Transformers.

Jul 21 - 03:28 PM

punktuate

Justin Montello

Transformers kicked @$$, I think Michael Bay made a spectacular movie..... if you want a big adrenaline pumped movie call Mr. Bay! All they gotta do to have the Dinobots in the next one is have them crash land in a natural history museum where the first thing they see is dinosaurs and I will be extra stoked for the next one.

Jul 21 - 04:40 PM

rockster11

Matt Gamble

God I hope this is good....... I really really hope, but I am really reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally scared...

Jul 21 - 04:45 PM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

Actually, the single thing in the first movie that I did *NOT* like was the Spielberg-inspired, family-friendly yard scene. Optimus Prime: "Oops. My Bad"

F####CK NO!

That annoyed the sh#t out of me and to hear they are planning to shoe-horn more sh#t like that into this movie is going to kill my anticipation buzz.

"Satan's Camaro" = GOOD

Optimus Prime channelling Alicia Silverstone from 'Clueless' = MUST KILL

Jul 21 - 06:10 PM

John Z. Delorean

John Street

Just give me Grimlock and I'm good. Crank the action up 100 percent so my eyes explode and my heart bursts. I loved the first one although the acting was horrible and had some corny lines delivered by the Autobots. Don't bring Jazz and his outdated "urban" talk back at all. Brutucus, the real Devastator, Omega Supreme please.

Jul 21 - 06:20 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

I can dig the Omega Supreme idea (and I suspect Bay's aircraft carrier transformer will in fact be Omega), but we part on sentiments regarding Jazz (most who know me on here are probably groaning right now. lol).

If there ever were a character that got a raw deal it was Jazz. This is a character that was a staple from G1, a flagship autobot. I'd venture the presumption that the general audience who grew up loving the Transformers, ask them to name five of them "RIGHT NOW, THIS SECOND, GO!", it'll be Prime, Jazz, Mega, Star, and Bumblebee. Or some combination, omitting one or the other, but you get my drift. He's too big a character to just throw away like that. Even the writers AND the producers of the first film didn't want to kill Jazz (We can thank Bay for that fumble).

Point is, he's gotta come back. There was even a sketch floating around the web for how they will do it (an intro to Wheeljack, where he comes in to help Ratchet repair Jazz, using the remaining Allspark to revive him, and giving him a tougher frame with his original blue/white color scheme). Hasbro even has a toy already of the Jazz new model, so it is likely (hoped for, at least) that this will come to pass. I could see it playing to the more sci-fi/existential aspects of the mythology, and that would be a very welcome development.

Just my two cent.

Jul 23 - 09:26 AM

the whole idea

MooN AlAn

i just hope they don't f**k it up by making it in 3d// anyone heard anymore about that??// i will not see it if it is in 3d!!

Jul 21 - 06:21 PM

Bowles

Jeff Dubya

sweet, looking forward to this movie. I honestly don't really care about the plot, haha - just keep the humor and the fighting robots and I'm in.

Jul 21 - 06:27 PM

savethemooses

Alex N

This is going to be even more worthless than the first one.

Jul 21 - 09:00 PM

wallstreet_jony

Jonathan Estrada

i show up for Megan Fox. Period.

transformers are simply iceing on the cake.

Jul 21 - 09:34 PM

Crummy

Daniel Moore

Well this time as morbid as it sounds I'd actually like to see a few more humans die. I found it hard to take it as a serious movie when these gigantic technologically advanced behemoths couldn't even manage to kill a single soldier in the city during the last battle (some pilots die, but that was slightly different).

And then there was that scene with the single scorpian transformer in the desert, where despite its impenetratable armour it decides to sit back at a cosy distance, taking hour n hour just to kill one guy as they waited it out behind cover.

They were all fight scenes dumbed down and designed with kids in mind, so that they can go out later and buy a whole heap of merchandise.

Jul 21 - 11:25 PM

Floor Man

Floor Man

Good news...that's exactly why I go to a TRANSFORMERS movie: to see Transformers.

Jul 22 - 12:41 AM

renodc

Ryan Meals

I really liked the first one, but I did think the dialogue was pretty cheesy, including the comedic dialogue that Orci speaks so fondly of, which concerns me because the garden scene he alludes to in the article is one of my least favorite scenes in the movie.
There is a tendency in these types of movies to devolve into brainless scripts filled with slapstick and crappy one-liners, i.e. Batman Forever & Batman & Robin. I hope this doesn't happen here.

Jul 22 - 07:28 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Just my two cent.

Jul 23 - 09:26 AM

Box Office Wrapup
Box Office Wrapup

Captain America Triumphs Again

WonderCon
WonderCon

175 cosplay pictures

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

<em>If I Stay</em>