Critics Consensus: Transformers 2 Is Less Than Meets The Eye

Plus, My Sister's Keeper is well-acted but manipulative, and The Hurt Locker is powerful and vital.

This week at the movies, we've got robots in disguise (Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, starring Megan Fox and Shia LaBeouf) and an engagement of convenience (My Sister's Keeper, starring Cameron Diaz and Abigail Breslin). What do the critics have to say?

20%
Template Image
Rotten

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Most folks like their blockbusters big, loud, and loaded with spectacle. However, the masses also tend to enjoy good characters and some semblance of a plot, two things the pundits say are sorely missing from Michael Bay's Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. This follow up to 2007's Transformers finds the Autobots waging a battle to destroy the evil forces of the Decepticons (with help from Megan Fox and Shia LaBeouf), since they have designs on obliterating Earth. Critics say Revenge has a lot of problems: it's loud, it's bombastic, it's way to long, it contains few recognizable human emotions, and its plot is borderline incomprehensible. Worst of all, they say, it's not particularly fun. (Check out this week's Total Recall, in which we count down the top 50 movie robots of all time, and our primer on Revenge of the Fallen's bots.)

48%
Template Image
Rotten

My Sister's Keeper

A lot of movies walk a fine line between being emotionally involving and seeming merely manipulative, and critics are essentially split on which side My Sister's Keeper falls. Cameron Diaz stars as a woman whose daughter Anna (Abigail Breslin) is born as a genetic match with her leukemia-afflicted older sister Kate (Sofia Vassilieva). When, at 11, Anna is called upon to provide a kidney for Kate, she sues her parents for medical independence. Some critics say My Sister's Keeper is bolstered by outstanding performances and a sense of moral complexity. However, others say this three-hankie weepie doesn't fully earn its tears, resorting to unconvincing plot machinations..)

Also opening this week in limited release:

Comments

smi1ey

Matt Dunn

I'm assuming it will still make a killing. It's one of those movies that you have to see even knowing that it's bad, just for the crazy special effects. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure someone will drag me along in the next week or so.

Jun 25 - 05:10 PM

steveo3387

Stephen Carnagua

That's why I saw the first one, and I was really disappointed. The ONLY good thing about that movie was the giant robot battles, and those weren't even that good. How hard is it to make giant robot battles interesting???

Jun 26 - 01:15 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Roger Eberts and Peter Travers comments on Transformers are pretty funny and kind of accurate, even though I didn't hate the movie like they did, they did find a great way to sum up the movie.

Jun 25 - 05:11 PM

Castor Troy

Derek Williams

Hey jokerboy, because I am too lazy to look up their review, can you put the link up here for me? Gracias!

Jun 25 - 05:17 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

There one liners were the best, here they are. Just look at there main review quotes from their reviews. Travers said it was a new level of god-awfulness and Ebert said just bang some pots for 2 hours with rock music and you'll get the same thing.

Jun 25 - 05:48 PM

Mr. Butler

Mr Butler

Bay is a Philistine.
The Hurt Locker is awesome! It is an superb adaptation which manages to keep the suspense up throughout the entire film. It is a thousand times better than T2.

Jun 25 - 09:42 PM

Rogelio t.

Rogelio tec

omg..i was pulling for My Sister's Keeper..at a 72%...oh well..i do think it was well-acted

Jun 25 - 05:13 PM

Castor Troy

Derek Williams

Jun 25 - 05:17 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Jun 25 - 05:48 PM

Mr. Butler

Mr Butler

Bay is a Philistine.

Jun 25 - 09:42 PM

Bob S.

Bob Saccomano

Meanwhile, the T-Meter for THE HURT LOCKER keeps on climbing. Why can't that be a wide release? I shed a single tear for quality cinema.

Jun 25 - 05:21 PM

JAKEofMIDWORLD

Jake Almond

Amen Bob, I'm so disappointed that I can't see The Hurt Locker in Wilmington, NC, but goddamn Transformers is on 60 screens. I guess you have to live in NY or LA for good movies.

Jun 26 - 08:36 AM

JAKEofMIDWORLD

Jake Almond

I'll add the Kathryn Bigelow (I don't know if I spelled that correctly) is one of the better (and most underrated directors) working today. I've seen all her films sometimes without knowing they were hers. She's great.

Jun 26 - 08:38 AM

Walken The Park

Tom Pastor

I get the feeling the reviews for Transformers 2 are much more entertaining than the movie itself. Guess I'll find out in a month, when the crowds finally die down.

Jun 25 - 05:22 PM

rachel_renegade

Rachel Leigh

Its true. I was thinking about the reviews during the movie and i was laughing to myself. All the comparisons to garbage disposals, trash compacters, and such were accurate.

Jun 25 - 06:21 PM

Nine Oh Two

joe schmoe

Yeah, it kills me to think that Transformer 2 is going to make unheard of amounts of money and movies like The Hurt Locker are going to fade away into obsurity.

But seriously, to anyone that liked Point Break, The Hurt Locker is made from the same director, but it is better! Don't rule this movie out if you've already seen Transformers2 and you're looking to see something at the theatre again this weekend.

I could not think of a more perfect time for a movie like the Hurt Locker to be releasing. I give the studio a lot of credit for having the balls to release it now instead of during oscar bait season.

While this movie does offer a lot of commentary in regards to war and America in general, its not preachy or from a bleeding heart point of view.

Jun 25 - 05:27 PM

inactive user

Jared King

LEDAWG WAS RIGHT! Remember when he said 24 percent or lower? Well, he was on the money. Only one person agreed with me, and they an share the glory.

I'll rent "Transformers 2", although I'm expecting it to be bad. It can't be worse than the directors other works like "Bad Boys II" or "Armageddon" because Shia LaBeouf is a good acotr, the visuals will be good and Megan Fox is hot. That won't be enough to save it, but it will keep it from being his worst. Nothing for me until "Public Enemies".

Jun 25 - 05:32 PM

Bob S.

Bob Saccomano

@ledawg:
Yeah dude, you deserve some massive credit. When I saw your prediction, I was thinking to myself that it would be at least twice that. Foolish of me, I know. Good call, sir. Very well done indeed.

@CtrlAltDestroy:
I wish that people would heed the call, but the movie is playing in SO FEW areas that it's hard to get to it even if you *want* to in some cases. That's why it bums me so much that it's not a wide release film.

I am going to watch TRANSFORMERS 2 as part of a friend's birthday party tomorrow. I hope the twins - or should I say, "Car Car Binks?" - aren't as annoying as some have made them out to be. I prefer comic relief in action movies to be subtle (a la DIE HARD) rather than in-your-face.

Jun 25 - 07:51 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Don't I know it.

Jun 25 - 08:37 PM

cucorovirosa

jose rovirosa

Ledwag: Armageddon was a cool movie!...and also if you are going to watch Transformers 2 knowing is bad and only for its eye candy. Then do it on an IMAX screen, not on DVD.

Jun 25 - 10:47 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Well, I pretty much despise every second of "Armageddon", but it's not Bay's worst. That will always be "Bad Boys II". And as for seeing it on DVD as opposed to theaters, I don't want to spend what little spare money I have (I'm not rich) to see a movie I expect to dislike.

Jun 26 - 03:41 PM

Reddan3

Dan Clayton

Shia LeBeouf a good actor...was that said out loud. Honestly, he possibly, could be, maybe a good actor but he has played the same character (or likely just acted like himself) in every movie. He completely ruing Indiana Jones though that wasnt that hard. The only thing he has going for him is that Speilberg gushes about him and puts him in all of his movies (ie produced transformers 1 & 2 and eagle eye, produced and directed Indiana Jones.

Jun 27 - 07:32 AM

Paints Hz Shirt Red

krookedlegs Eagle Tail

i agree shia lebeouf is a decent actor. there are much worse out there. but i do disagree that he ruined indy4. george lucas ruined it, if he let speilberg do his job without him looking over his shoulder the entire time it would of turned out to be better.

Jun 27 - 08:05 AM

Jason C Wilkerson

Jason Wilkerson

Reddan 3: I seriously think you need to tone down on your hate. You shouldn't blame Shia for Indiana Jones, I doubt Shia had anything to do with adding CGI Monkeys and Prairie Dogs to the film, putting Jones in a refrigerator during a nuclear blast, and creating an ending that didn't give our main protagonist anything to do while conjuring up horrible CGI aliens. Shia's a decent actor, and played his role in Indiana Jones well, it's not his fault if the character just didn't belong, after all, he didn't write it.

Jun 27 - 01:20 PM

Jpeffer

Jake Peffer

Saw Transformers yesterday in IMAX. Its pretty cool to see in IMAX and the movie is alright I guess but the first one if way better. The only thing really good about the movie are the special effects other than that there's not much going on.

Jun 25 - 05:34 PM

inactive user

Jared King

For the record, "My Sisters Keeper" looks lame. Looks like a Hallmark movie. Even if it dosen't have racist stereotypes and robots with balls, I'd still rather wath "Transformers 2".

Jun 25 - 05:34 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Jun 25 - 05:48 PM

Shantak

David Finnila

I liked the movie, but have stated that in other threads. Sure it's thin on plot, the acting is just okay and there still isn't enough robots fighting it was exactly what I expected. It is exactly transformers 1 except just more of each part.

The effects were cool, I loved what they did with Sounwave and Ravage, I was happy with the exchanges between Megatron and Starscream, Devastator was awesome, the Twins were not as annoying as I expected them to be, and no where near Jar Jar levels.

Standard Hollywood blockbuster, heavy on explotions light on substance.

The Hurt Locker seems very cool, might check it out. But there are dozzens of amaing films that get outshadowed by these summer blockbusters.

Jun 25 - 06:05 PM

Dirtyy Andy

andy tijerino

Transformer's 2 Sure did dissapoint.

Jun 25 - 06:06 PM

Armondoh S.

Armondoh SUX

Gonna have to go against the grain here..... I enjoyed it.. I honestly did.. Yes, I am a huge fan that grew up right in the middle of the original transformers saga.. I went in with negative thoughts after reading all of the negative reviews, but I have to say I did enjoy it.. My 6 year old son sat through the entire movie, that is a first lol.... Parts I did not like.. I did not like Jetfire's part, I wanted lots more from him.. Soundwave was also kind of a let down as he just wasnt used enough, also it wasn't the voice that I loved so much as a kid... Devestator was okay, but he didn't get to kick enough *** IMHO... The Fallen, nah........ But I really still enjoyed it... Just my opinion...:)

Jun 25 - 06:15 PM

rachel_renegade

Rachel Leigh

Jun 25 - 06:21 PM

martinscorsese25

christopher cantos

saw Transformers last night here in the philippines. First off, there are two things first rate about the movie. The FLAWLESS vissual effects(BEST OF ALL TIME) and MEGAN FOX(i'm talking about her looks, not acting), she is so photogenic, she rivals Angelina Jolie as the best looking actress on films.. other than that, the movie is horrible. the movie is a mess, the action scenes arent paced correctly. it was all over the place. Michael Bay should depart his genre and work on Indie films, he always said he'd like to do one. it would help him focused more on the story so that one day, when he makes a movie like this again, he'll put the story first. and some of his antics is getting old. the slowmotion dramatic scene isnt really dramatic. a movie full of BEAUTIFUL HOT GIRLS draws alot of attention because it's hard to take it seriously.

bottom line. Transformers 2 had the BEST VISSUAL EFFECTS EVER on screen, but it's a mess of a movie. Transformers 1 is better, much funnier, and much shorter. this movie is SO long. it can't glue you to the screen unlike TDK.

also, has anyone notice that Shia's roommate was kind of a tailor made for Jonah Hill, too bad he can't commit cause of Funny People. we might have gotten a few more laughs if Jonah starred. well atleast he won't be in a BAD movie this summer.

Jun 25 - 06:37 PM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

i tell ya transformers will be raped by public enemies july 1

Jun 25 - 06:44 PM

Chris B.

Chris Bellew

yeah Public Enemies will rape Transformers critically but not at the box-office. I'm sorry but I don't see Public Enemies making nowhere near Transformers money.

Jun 25 - 06:59 PM

Patt B.

Patt Baxter

dude, honestly, that movie (Public Enemies) looks pretty retarded. I mean the only pull that movie has is that Johnny Depp is in it for some bizarre reason. the cinematography looks like utter sh.it!!! Even Johnny Depp has lost some of his credit as an actor IMO..blehhh

Jun 25 - 09:55 PM

inactive user

Jared King

You have lost ALL credibility.

Jun 25 - 10:42 PM

Patt B.

Patt Baxter

I see we got a bunch of Johnny Depp nuthuggers up in here!! ;P

take it easy guys, so uptight!!!

Jun 25 - 10:45 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Don't make crazy a$s statements!

Jun 25 - 10:47 PM

Patt B.

Patt Baxter

YES MASTER!!!! I SHALL ONLY TALK AS YOU COMMAND ME TO TALK...
I WANT TO HUG JOHNNY DEPPS NUTS JUST LIKE THE REST OF YOU

Is that any better? :D

Jun 25 - 10:49 PM

inactive user

Jared King

It's an improvement.

Jun 26 - 03:38 PM

Watchmen

eric dorman

Public Enemies will probably only make 120 M here

Jun 29 - 05:53 PM

air-x-images

eric barron

is everyone on this thread um high? u people talk trash about an action film cuz theres no story? um do u all go see a drama movie and say boring cuz theres no action? the movie was great.. if your not a transformers fan to begin with then y r u watching the movie? and if u are a fan then y r u complaining? the movie had me on the edge of my seat the whole time! much more entertaining than yaawwwnn the dark night!! that was a comic book movie? where was that action? woo riding on a motorcycle with big tires..ya um great action.. .BAYS directing is awesome.. his visuals are 2nd to none... Transformers 2 def the best action movie ever!!!

Jun 25 - 07:08 PM

Scorchy

Scott Bennett

OMG! Moofie, lik, wuz arsum! I luf Tranzfermors! BAy is rules!

Jun 26 - 05:02 PM

AniMill

Curtis Sponsler

My take was this: it was too BIG, too looong, and to wishy-washy... it couldn't decide on being an R or PG-13 movie. The innuendo was pathetic and pitiful; as much as I enjoy sexy stuff and comments, they just put everything in-your-face... nothing subtle about this movie. You didn't have to think about ANYTHING, it was all troweled into your eyes and ears with your mouth agape and that little bit of drool hanging out. It reminds me of the excesses "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom." a well made movie, but I only wanted to see it once.

But I HAVE to see it again tomorrow with my kids - I'm not looking forward to it... guess I'll just spend the time looking for EFX errors and admiring ALL the college girls they showed.

Jun 25 - 07:11 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday