Exclusive: Latest on Transformers 3 with producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura

Summary

RT attended the London press junket for G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra this afternoon, and while talking to producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura about all things Cobra, we also took the opportunity to quiz him on the future of the Transformers franchise. So as well as discussing the future involvement of director Michael Bay and the controversy surrounding a couple of well-publicised characters, we quizzed him on who we might see make an appearance in the third part. So read on for all things Transformers, and look out for our extensive chat about G.I. Joe coming up in a couple of weeks. Back to Article

Comments

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

the rock and bad boys 1 and 2 are bay's hits but the rest are pretty damn mediocre

Jul 22 - 01:55 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Do you really think all of Michael Bay's movies mike a boat load of cash because his name is on them? I don't think they do. They always have well known actors and a lot of explosions. I dont think a whole lot of people go to see Transformers because Bay's name is on it.

Armageddon- Bruce Willis, Ben Afleck, Billy Bod Thornton, and a lot of explosions
Transformers- Shia, hot girl, and robots fighting each other
Bad Boys I and II- Will Smith and explosions

I think if any other director did Transformers 3 the general public really wouldn't care, some transformers fanboys may care but they would still see it.

Jul 22 - 01:57 PM

M.C.P.

Todd Bruther

Most of his movies have made quite a bit, minus The Island and I guess Pearl Harbor?
But I would still see the 3rd Transformers even if he wasn't involved, because it will still be entertaining in the vain of robots, sexy chick and BANG! BOOM!

"There's a 68.71% chance you're right."

Jul 22 - 04:14 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

That's the most sensible thing I've heard all day. Nobody wants to see "Michael Bay's TRANSFORMERS", they want to see "Megan Fox in TRANSFORMERS", or "Will Smith in BAD BOYS". Bay has a major ego problem.

And why does anybody think that Michael Bay would leave the franchise in the first place? He finds his box office niche and he's just going to walk away?

"Mr. Bay, THE ISLAND tanked in the box office."
"I'll keep making movies anyway."

"Good news, Mr. Bay, TRANSFORMERS 2 is the highest grossing movie of the summer."
"Well, time to move on to something else."

Jul 22 - 05:47 PM

Shaun822

Shaun Hevey

They need a director that can tell a story and not go from set piece to set piece. I'm not looking for Schindler's List with Autobots but give me something.

Jul 22 - 02:10 PM

Art V.

Art Vascherault

I'm honestly happy to admit that I wait for these to come out so I can stay away from people like you whiners. The second one I saw in theaters and almost beat the **** out of two geeks who kept complaining about the movie. Thank god you little ****s are easily intimidated by big people. It's an action movie. Who gives a ****. If it's too racist for you, stfu and go listen to clear channel.

Jul 22 - 03:16 PM

BlueLobster

Aaron Dean

Art V.; do you by any chance share a familial kinship with Magic is Might a.k.a. thecaptainofteammachosimandhomophobia? Perhaps you are simply mr. might incognito? You sure sound like you might be...

And dude, just because a lot of us bashing Michael Bay are "geeks" doesn't mean that we're short and scrawny and couldn't defeat a loathsome aspirant pugilist such as yourself.

Jul 22 - 05:24 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

I wouldn't worry, GTS. Sounds like a bi.tch to me. Which is much worse than our friend Captain Magic, who, to his credit, at least has the good sense to not attempt picking physical fights in a digital environment.

Jul 22 - 06:20 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Hey everybody, look! A pretend tough guy.

Jul 22 - 06:15 PM

Matt T.

Matt Tallen

I'm 6' 2, very physically fit, and a total TF geek. Have been since I was 11, and always will be. I hated this film on so many levels, I stopped counting, and would've bitched about Revenge Of The Fallen if I had enough energy/time in the day, or thought it would ever change anything. You want to stop us criticising it, or any Bay movies? Step up shorty. Let's see what you've got.

Jul 23 - 05:51 AM

Spirit Bear

Martin Tam

I could certainly see a transformers without Michael Bay. It would be amazing.

Jul 22 - 03:19 PM

Floor Man

Floor Man

"The audience should [b]e adults for Transformers...."

Uh...what? How many adults do have you seen playing with Transformers?
_____________________________________________________________________________

I think people need to stop needlessly bashing Bay for what he does, which he does quite well. If everyone dislikes his movies so much, why are most of them so ridiculously popular? It seems as though Transformers 2 will end up being the (domestic) Box Office king for 2009. ...How did that happen? Oh. Right. Many, many people bought tickets. Hypocrisy gets very annoying very fast.

So, please, moviegoers: stop (seemingly endlessly) complaining about movies that you think are bad and better spend your time watching some you think are good. It's quite simple.

Jul 22 - 03:32 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

That's it, I'm done. This is officially the the last Transformers based thread I'm opening. For people who criticize Micheal Bay for a lack of originality y'all seem to say the same thing over and over again. Jokerboy look at all the movie's that fail with explosions and how many flops Ben Affleck, Billy Bob Thornton and Megan Fox have had. Heck even Bruce Willis and Will Smith have had commercially unsuccessful films. Bay's movie's succeed because he gives the general public what they want and yes, part of that is big stars and explosions, but if it was as simple as that why isn't every no talent director in Hollywood doing that? Anyway, I'm taking my own advice and when people continue to come up with the same crap over and over and clearly aren't going to change, I'm just going to quit watching. Someone please drop a line to me in another thread if this conversation becomes interesting again.

Jul 22 - 04:01 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Yes Transformers 2 is the perfect kids movie! Dogs humping each other, mom eating pot brownies, and a bunch of sexual sight gags. Yep sounds like the perfect kids movie. The movie's humor is on level with the worst of MAD TV and people who loves this movie and its humor, your standards must be pretty low.

Jul 22 - 04:39 PM

M.C.P.

Todd Bruther

"There's a 68.71% chance you're right."

Jul 22 - 04:14 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I love it when people say stop complaining and dont talk about things you dont like, some of us just love movies and like to talk about them whether they be good or bad. I guess you would like to live in a world where nobody complains and everyone has the same opinion.

Jul 22 - 04:37 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Jul 22 - 04:39 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Tools? You obviously work for Michael Bay.

Jul 22 - 04:45 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Actually, i'm sure he's smart enough to distance himself from people like you.

Jul 22 - 04:48 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Actually, i'm sure he's smart enough to distance himself from people like you.

Jul 22 - 04:48 PM

BlueLobster

Aaron Dean

Jul 22 - 05:24 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Jul 22 - 06:20 PM

Premo Beat

John Noto

To all of my fellows who also dismiss Transformers Bay-style as garbage:

The people who are attacking you on this forum (CaptainofTeamMagic, Art V., etc.) are obviously a part of the lowest common denominator that this movie is aimed at. Their responses to criticisms of Bay and the film are "get over it you whining i beat the s**t out of f**s like you" etc. and make no attempt at disguising themselves as such. The film is designed to sell as many tickets as possible and offer some valid reason for a mass of people seeing it. These reasons are: mass child appeal, mass horny pre-teen/teenager appeal, mass parents having to escort said horny pre-teen/teenager, mass commercial appeal (Burger King, f**king ESPN, Domino's, EVERYONE was hopping on TF endorsement bandwagon, and if you think there's not a relation between how many TV spots a movie has and how many tickets will be sold you are a fool), and mass short attention span/I need to see things go boom appeal. Oh, and there's already the built-in fanbase of the original cartoon that will likely go see the movie no matter how godawful it is. etc etc etc etc IT IS DESIGNED IN EVERY WAY TO SELL AS MANY TICKETS AS POSSIBLE first and foremost, not be a "good" movie. Necessarily.

And Bad Boys II was a bloated mess of a movie. The first was a decent 90s action flick with charismatic stars and The Rock was solid. Otherwise it's commercialized huge budget action/star vehicle flicks that are guaranteed to break 100 mil regardless of critical consensus.

Magic everyone has heard the same idiotic post you keep making thread after thread, why don't you just copy and paste it from now on and save yourself some time?

Jul 22 - 05:35 PM

Castor Troy

Derek Williams

Maybe you should take your own advice? I'm sick of seeing you and all the other Bay haters say the same old crap. Maybe you should just type up your lame @$$ excuses into an easy accessible document on your computer so you can copy and paste it at will. You're repetitive responses are just annoying and lame as the ISP customer service line. (Did you unplug your modem, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in?)

Jul 22 - 06:43 PM

Premo Beat

John Noto

D Effin W- Congratulations for repeating me. Your name also labels you a simple-minded tool. And "you're" grammar sucks.

Jul 22 - 07:45 PM

Castor Troy

Derek Williams

Oh... because I could give 2 ****s about how literate I am perceived by you, let alone a community that exists on the internet. You must get pretty wet when you read your threatening but oh so creative comments to a thread.

Jul 22 - 08:32 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

"Mr. Bay, THE ISLAND tanked in the box office."
"I'll keep making movies anyway."

"Well, time to move on to something else."

Jul 22 - 05:47 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Hey everybody, look! A pretend tough guy.

Jul 22 - 06:15 PM

Jul 22 - 07:45 PM

Castor Troy

Derek Williams

Jul 22 - 08:32 PM

Stark Industrialist

Daniel Morris

I think they should do something just for fun and awesomeness and make a "Gotham Knight" of Transformers. Get a bunch of diverse, experienced directors (like Raimi, del Toro, Burton, Spielberg, everyone, to name a few) and have them all make their own 15-minute Transformers movie. Then we can watch them all and vote on who gets to make the next one.

Michael Bay can serve them coffee while they work and stay the Eff outta the director's chair.

Jul 22 - 07:06 PM

Anakin

Drizzt Reznicek

lalala

Jul 22 - 07:17 PM

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Check out Boardwalk Empire

Historical TV Shows
Historical TV Shows

40 TV depictions of past eras

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer