The Weekly Ketchup: "Transformers," "Indy 4" Set Pics, And More "Transformers"
Also, some more "Indiana Jones 4" set photos leaked, "Star Trek XI" prequel bits, and the "Superman Returns" sequel gets preempted by "The Mayor of Castro Street." Read on.
This Week's Most Popular News:
Critical Consensus: "Transformers" About As Much As Meets The Eye
Transformers" comes out tomorrow with some major chips on its shoulders. The movie has to please both the hardcore and fair-weather fans, along the nostalgia-impervious moviegoers expecting only summer entertainment. What do the critics, probably among the last on director Michael Bay's list of concerns, have to say?
More Pics from the Set of "Indiana Jones 4"
Get ready. We're going to be reporting on this movie A LOT.
Tomatometer Watch: "Transformers" Gets a T-Meter; Is "Ratatouille" 2007's New Best-Reviewed Wide Release?
"Transformers" is still several days away, but summer blockbusters wait for no one: the first reviews are coming in and the initial tally is an 79 percent Tomatometer after 13 reviews. Also, we answer the question: is Pixar's "Ratatouille" 2007's new best-reviewed wide release?
"Star Trek XI" Prequel Full of Easter Eggs for Fans
Prequels have been doing well lately, not just for Hollywood, but for fans. Bond freaks loved seeing Agent 007 discover a tux and a martini in "Casino Royale," and batheads loved Bruce Wayne's time in third world prisons in "Batman Begins." The new "Star Trek" prequel, being written by screenwriters Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, promises to deliver just as many juicy tidbits to Trekkies.
"Mayor of Castro Street" Holds Up Singer's "Super" Sequel, "Man of Steel
Bryan Singer had previously told us that the "Superman Returns" sequel "Superman: The Man of Steel" would be his next film after "Valkyrie." His producers tell another story. Neil Meron and Craig Zadan have Singer lined up to direct "The Mayor of Castro Street," a story of gay rights activist Harvey Milk, within a year.
"Transformers": taking over the Earth, and the RT news section.
In Other News:
- Keith David will provide the voice of Dr. Facilier, the villain in Walt Disney Pictures' musical animated feature "The Princess and the Frog."
- Richard Roundtree has joined the cast of "Speed Racer," Larry and Andy Wachowski's live-action adaptation of the 1960s cartoon.
- "Lackawanna Blues" director George C. Wolfe is set to direct the Jamie Foxx starrer "Blood on the Leaves" for Paramount Pictures.
- Woody Allen announced that Patricia Clarkson, Kevin Dunn and Chris Messina have joined Scarlett Johansson, Javier Bardem and PenÚlope Cruz in the cast of his as-yet untitled Barcelona-based comedy.
- Matt Reeves will direct and Drew Goddard will write the J.J. Abrams produced camcorder-shot monster movie "Cloverfield" for Paramount.
- Andrew Cosby and Johanna Stokes have been hired to do a rewrite on Walt Disney Pictures' "First Ascent."
- Dustin Hoffman will star, produce and co-write the script for "Personal Injuries," an adaptation of the Scott Turow novel.
- Penny Marshall is set to produce and direct a film about Effa Manley, owner of the Newark Eagles and the first woman elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame.