Box Office Guru Wrapup: "Transformers" Stomps on Foes To Capture #1 Spot With $152.5M Opening

Summary

Optimus Prime and his robot heroes seized the number one spot at the North American box office with an explosive opening for "Transformers" over the extended Independence Day holiday frame. The Paramount/DreamWorks co-production grossed an estimated $67.6M over the Friday-to-Sunday period and an amazing $152.5M since its early opening last Monday with 8pm preview shows. Back to Article

Comments

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

It was expected to be number 1.

Jul 8 - 02:58 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

I'll be helping FF2's box office a little bit. My wife and I plan on seeing it tomorrow.

Jul 8 - 03:00 PM

smartmoviekid

jonathan ramirez

i now have a new found respect for Micheal Bay after Transformers. i still despise his previous films besides the Rock and The Island, and hes not really the nicest of guys, but i admire his determination to make the best summer flick possible by cutting his paycheck and to make sure he was as nostalgic as possible while making changes at the same time that did not completely change the characters. that is why I believe Transformers is the biggest, and best summer flick this year in my opinion.

Jul 8 - 05:10 PM

smartmoviekid

jonathan ramirez

im also so glad it made 152 million, already exceeding its 145mil budget. with this strong opening, plus satisfaction from viewers like me and many others, it will make more than enough to make at least 2 more sequels without any financial trouble.

Jul 8 - 05:12 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

[b]optimus bay[/b]
thanks to mr. bay, he has given everyone a fresh hit that all will love forever.

....or at least until the dreaded sequels!

Jul 8 - 05:30 PM

curtis

filmboy O'Bryant

Thank you bay. Transformers was a lot of fun. Word of mout is crazy good.

Jul 8 - 05:34 PM

curtis

filmboy O'Bryant

Thank you bay. Transformers was a lot of fun. Word of mouth is crazy good. Anybody that can make a movie like transformers for only 145 million is smart. transformers cost almost 150 less then Spider man 3 and Poct 3 And the CGI still looked ten times better

Jul 8 - 05:34 PM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

[b]The first Bay flick i liked.....the end of an era.[/b]
Transformers should cross the $300 million and eventually make more than Pirates 1 & 3, at least domestic.
Bay seems to be acknowleging his weaknesses by cutting back on the dramatic and amping up the action. As long as he keeps it up, he'll no longer be so hated.

Jul 8 - 05:42 PM

synergyred

Nancy Elizabeth

Impressive box office results! Although Transformers wasn't to my liking, I know plenty of people who enjoyed it, so they'll be happy with these results.

Personally, I'm really glad to see that Ratatouille has proven to have some staying power. Just what I was expecting from Pixar. Not only is it a great movie, but it gives parents and alternative to the "explosions! explosions! explosions!" summer blockbusters.... oh and that dumb looking penguin movie.

Jul 8 - 06:37 PM

Sebastion Cole

D M

[b]WOW[/b]
And this comes as a surprise to... no one. Glad to see Transformers did that well, it really was a great film. I'm also glad to see that Licensed to wed crashed and burned, maybe now Robin Williams will stop being in bad comedies and do some stand up finally.

Jul 8 - 07:35 PM

kendrith1975

Ken Tsoi

TRANSFORMERS' success will not come as a surprise to anybody, as long as fans do not trash its competitors. Last week some fan try to trash DIE HARD 4.0 saying it will succumb to the TRANSFORMERS (while the fact DIE HARD 4.0 earn much better reviews, especially for a sequel), and saying it was performing not well while everybody find its 33.2 opening to be impressive. In fact, this weekend proves that there is room for many films to survive together, which is what we really want to see.

Jul 8 - 08:10 PM

aknddon3

andrew kruzel

Bay has finally made up for how bad Pearl Harbour sucked.

Jul 8 - 08:24 PM

Atomix

Joe Labar

Michael Bay didn't make Transformers work. Optimus Prime did. I thought it was a mediocre Bay flick until I heard his voice. Tears to my eyes.

Soundwave and Bumblebee made up most of the movie and neither one of them came across as OG transformers. Especially Soundwave. It didn't occur to me that that was Soundwave until I was in the car and one the way home. Had that character been more like the original in any recognizable way the movie would of started out much stronger. Was was there was really good. But just a little more would of put it over the damn top.

Oh and StarScream needed a piece of Dialogue.

Jul 8 - 08:43 PM

SlyDante

Kyle LeClair

"It didn't occur to me that that was Soundwave until I was in the car..."

Well, of course it shouldn't have occured to you: That wasn't Soundwave. According to official sources, it was Frenzy. =P

Jul 8 - 09:04 PM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

...actually, Bay DID make this movie work for precisely the reason you say-- Bay was the one (along with Spielberg) who sought out Peter Cullen to reprise his role as Prime. In fact, the only thing they did (sorta) get wrong, was not making Prime powerful enough-- he should NOT have gotten a beatdown by Megatron every time they fought. Prime don' need no stinkin' keed to save him.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just trying to see credit given where it's due, and love him or hate him (most around here choosing the latter), Bay hit this one out of the park.

Can't resist: that wasn't soundwave, it was some sort of hybrid/homage to soundwave and the tapes because Bay realized he couldn't use a cassette player in the movie. Maybe Frenzy, maybe something else.

Jul 9 - 07:09 AM

SlyDante

Kyle LeClair

"It didn't occur to me that that was Soundwave until I was in the car..."

Jul 8 - 09:04 PM

Kaleli

Michael Chovan

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I didn't even realize the running time was close to 150 minutes until it was over.....and I didn't even realize it the second time I watched it.

It kept me entertained and it had just the right balance of nostalgia, humor and action. Granted there were some issues I had with the movie, but I will admit it. Michael Bay came through and I applaud him for cutting his salary to keep the production in the States.

My only real beef was there wasn't enough of the Starscream I remember so I'm hoping they'll bring that to light in the sequel, especially since he should think he's in charge now with the "death" of Megatron. Megatron kinda hinted on it in his line "You dissapoint me". Ahh, memories.

And I'm still holding out for the universal greeting... :)

Jul 8 - 10:26 PM

AstroZombie138

Travis G

"And I'm still holding out for the universal greeting... "

Bah weep grahna wheep ni ni bong?

Jul 9 - 08:50 AM

Dominem007

Dominik Choczynski

This movie isnt going to make much more than 300 million domestically ...Harry Potter opens on Wednesday and Transformers is going to drop by at least 50, maybe even 60 percent next weekend

Jul 8 - 10:53 PM

South_park300

First Last

"This movie isnt going to make much more than 300 million domestically"

you act as if that is bad? wtf

Jul 9 - 12:11 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

..and while we're discussing Potter (which I enjoy, both as a book and movie franchise),

WHAT IN THE LIVING, RIGHTEOUS BAT FUCK ARE THEY DOING, RELEASING POTTER IN IMAX AND NOT TRANSFORMERS!?!?!!

Jul 9 - 10:26 AM

kishor197

Kishore Reddy

[b]60% drop!!! No Way!!![/b]
As Much as Harry potter will make this weekend. There is no way that transformers will drop 60%. My bet is that it would be around 40%

Jul 9 - 04:55 AM

Vitamin M

Matthew Haynes

[b]60% drop!!! No Way!!![/b]
I agree. The word of mouth on this sucker is still strong and not just from me. I know people who only go see one or two movies a year who are going nuts for this show. and personally I think Harry Potter will be a little weaker this time around. Tranformers could drop by 50% but I see much smaller drops in it's 3rd and 4th weeks.
It will make it to at least $280 and possibly $300 in the States but with an over seas take already approching $100 it should easily blow past the half billion mark globally. and that's a hefty income on a $150 mil budget.

oh and I plan on helping out Diehard 4 sometime this week, I've heard it's great from the action fans I know and trust.

Jul 9 - 08:41 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

i still don't get all the Die Hard 4 hurrah. finally got to see it this weekend and its EXACTLY what you'd expect from a flick trying to do a LOWER rated sequel after more than 10 years. good...but not great. its not even Spiderman 3 good. some of the JOHN MCLAIN material was forced too(talking to himself in the tunnel?? urgh)...just seemed like they were trying to say "yeah dudes, really...this IS a die hard movie, see??? seee??!?!?!?" Transformers PROVES what you can do with a superior film. i guess i'm a negative guy but, you'd expect a GREAT franchise like Die hard to ALREADY have broken 100 million by now if the flick was that good and kept to a simple formula. to me, its failing. i don't see it making 140 domestic, as projected, either.

Jul 9 - 05:45 AM

IMAmoose24

Eric Schulze

Not even Spiderman 3 good? Wow, it must be the worst movie ever. Spiderman 3 was the biggest disappointment at the movies probably my entire life. I doubt Die Hard is nearly that bad.

Congrats to Transformers. Fantastic Fun.

Jul 9 - 10:17 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

Jul 9 - 07:09 AM

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies