Michael Bay Rolling Out From Transformers 2?

Bay apparently none too happy with Paramount's HD-DVD alliance.

Hollywood enfant terrible Michael Bay has had some choice words with the actors and producers he's worked with in the past, but this time's he publicly locking horns with his biggest foe yet: the major Hollywood studio.  Paramount's and Dreamworks' decision to switch exclusively to HD DVD isn't just going to lose Blu-Ray users, but also possibly Bay himself.

Up until yesterday, Paramount and Dreamworks had supported both the HD DVD and Blu-Ray formats.  The studios' announcement of going cold turkey on Blu Ray has prompted Bay to fire off a message board post (delicately titled "Paramount pisses me off!") in which the director writes:

"I want people to see my movies in the best formats possible. For them to deny people who have Blu-ray sucks! They were progressive by having two formats. No Transformers 2 for me!"

With a Hollywood strike looming for next year and now having apparently lost its director, looks like the journey to Transformers 2 is going to be (sorry) more than meets the eye.

EDIT: Looks like we, and Bay, spoke too soon. Bay recanted on his personal blog, having underestimated the appeal of HD DVD. Here's his post:

"Last night at dinner I was having dinner with three Blu-Ray owners, they were pissed about no Transformers Blu-Ray and I drank the kool aid hook line and sinker. So at 1:30 in the morning I posted - nothing good ever comes out of early am posts mind you - I over reacted. I heard where Paramount is coming from and the future of HD and players that will be close to the $200 mark which is the magic number. I like what I heard.

As a director, I'm all about people seeing films in the best quality possible, and I saw and heard firsthand people upset about a corporate decision.

So today I saw 300 on HD, it rocks!

So I think I might be back on to do Transformers 2!"

Source: IGN

Comments

arendr

Arend Anton

Quick Michael! There's still time to announce your retirement as well!

Aug 21 - 05:22 PM

bizo140

Rob Walker

HA! Look he has already changed his mind. Why dont you write an article about that!

Michael Bay HD-DVD post
08/21/2007 07:51 PM

So today I saw 300 on HD, it rocks!

So I think I might be back on to do Transformers 2!

Michael Bay

Aug 21 - 05:38 PM

IMAmoose24

Eric Schulze

YESSS.

Aug 21 - 05:43 PM

Floor Man

Floor Man

Nice job, bizo140. You beat me to it. ;)

Aug 21 - 05:41 PM

IMAmoose24

Eric Schulze

YESSS.

Aug 21 - 05:43 PM

Avi

Avi R

This whole HD format "war" is fake.

It's like the difference between 2 billion and 3 billion dollars.

Aug 21 - 05:53 PM

TheAnswerMVP2001

Snipes .

I have to agree with Bay's first post. This Blu Ray / HD DVD thing is ridiculous, it's all a scam to sell people two machines! You know good and well Sony (who backs Blu Ray) owns a company that makes HD DVD players. They don't want a winner in this format war, they want to keep it split so they can double their profits. Releasing a film on both formats just defeats that purpose. Frankly if I ever decide to upgrade I'm only buying one format (HD DVD) I'll settle for up conversion on the rest, I'm not purchasing two machines!

Aug 21 - 05:55 PM

neoes

ryan persaud

What the hell is the "Hollywood Strike" they keep on talking about? They always mention it, but never say anything about it

PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THIS HOLLYWOOD STRIKE THING IS???? AND WHY IS IT HAPPENING?
Thanks :)

Aug 21 - 06:00 PM

highdough

Richard Blascock

The `Hollywood strike' is, what looks at this point to be, the writers going on strike, which wouldn't happen until the spring. It's not a sure thing, but both sides are preparing. SAG and DG are also renegotiating, but that seems to be going better.

Aug 21 - 06:30 PM

timmy_1411

Tim Wright

Here I was hoping a new and better director would take Transformers 2, possibly Spielberg. Too bad Bay had a change of heart.

Aug 21 - 06:57 PM

neoes

ryan persaud

well, considering that Transformers made $306.7 million so far, I doubt a money hungry guy like Bay would let anything stop him from cashing on this soon to be monster of a franchise.

Aug 21 - 07:15 PM

Ssillississ

Steve Mast

The format "war" is not doubling profits - it's hurting profits. There are a LOT of people "waiting and seeing" before they buy in to one or the other. Sony stands to make money on Blu-Ray but NOT by selling machines - but by owning the format. They will make their profit by selling the rights for movies to be produced on their format, not by selling the machines. If anything the machine sales are a loss leader for the movies themselves. The fact that they own a company that makes HD-DVD machines is meaningless.

Isn't anybody else a little upset at Sony for forcing Blu-Ray into the PS3 machine instead of trying to make it a real gaming console?

Aug 21 - 07:13 PM

neoes

ryan persaud

Aug 21 - 07:15 PM

witherwings

Jamie Lynn

Bay is so... temper-tantrumy.

Aug 21 - 07:24 PM

neophool

Sloane Treat

lol michael bay ftw

Aug 21 - 07:36 PM

Mazula

Jeff Schulder

ten years from now: UDF (Ultimate Definition Format)!

Why can't we just stick with DVDs? they still look good.

Aug 21 - 07:58 PM

GLADIATOR MONKEY

S D

I love that Bay intended his refusal to make another Transformers movie to be taken as a threat. Had I never read his subsequent change of heart, I think that I (and the movie viewing world as a whole) would have slept much sounder. And since when has he showed a concern for films of the "best quality possible"?

Aug 21 - 08:03 PM

robzass

Dan Barrett

Remember that good film that Micheal Bay did? No? Neither do I.

Aug 21 - 08:12 PM

Sarge77

Eric Johnson

Even though Spielburg is doing Indy 4, I wish Spielburg would get back to his roots and do more movies like Transformers etc... Keep the camera still for Pete's sake!!!

Aug 21 - 08:26 PM

liono86

william ward

Michael Bay, IMO, is underrated. I'm not saying his movies are great, but, they don't suck either like alot of people claim. I thought The Island was pretty good as well as Transformers. But, yeah, his little tantrum over the fact that Transformers wouldn't be on Blu-Ray was a bit...childish, I guess. I mean, people wilth Blu-Ray players can still watch Transformers on regular DVD format in an upconverted form. So, still good picture and sound quality.

Aug 21 - 08:37 PM

jeremyd4

jeremy d

The battle between DVD formats gives all the more reason to encourage people to illegally download their movies online - until a winner is decided.

Aug 21 - 08:52 PM

Creovex

Creov Vex

I have to say, jeremyd4 hit the nail on the head. I own a blu-ray player. I work my *** off to buy such things and when I found I need another format to play the movies I want for home? I was pissed. Especially a movie geared for high def.... oh well, guess I have to say respect was earned then lost by Michael Bay in a matter of days...

I like how the blu-ray clearly is superior yet people want to complain. Wake up, this is just really an issue over what Microsoft wants the world to want. Don't quote price as an example either, remember Laser Discs??? yeah exactly, peopel will pay for quality.

And people wonder why there is so much digital pirating in the world....

Oct 6 - 10:57 PM

SukmyPikachu

omair hussain

Yay Transformers 2 might just be good now, godammit hes back again.

Aug 21 - 08:54 PM