Transylvania 6-5000 Reviews

½ November 13, 2011
- Watched this a lot as a kid, not a great movie but it's fun and excellent cast. If you like the old Universal Monster movies, then give this one a try!

- Just watched this again...I quite enjoyed it, it's a lot of fun for classic horror fans... Check it out.

- Another one from my childhood, not great, but it is fun. Excellent cast...
½ February 27, 2015
Cooky and fun to see Goldbloom try to be funny. It had some zany moments, but this bombed overall. Disappointing to see only a couple of spooks and even that was towards the end.
½ November 2, 2014
Stupid humor that works.
October 29, 2014
This movie is so goofy!! The plot is very simple, it's very obvious that the monsters were not real, and many of the jokes fall flat. You can still see that everyone put in their best effort and there were a few parts that had me laughing. It's a vastly overlooked horror comedy that's still worth checking out and renting.
October 23, 2014
Transylvania 6-5000 is awful, truly awful. I mean, this came from 1985 - the year of Back to the Future, Beverly Hills Cop, Spies Like Us and The Goonies - so studios knew how to make a comedy. What were they thinking when they made this movie? The acting is terrible, the story makes no sense and the humor is, well, nonexistent. It's too stupid to be funny and it's too silly to be scary. What a waste of a movie.
October 9, 2014
I was watching this on DVD. It was damaged about halfway through and it stalled. I couldn't bring the energy to watch the rest. I was just bored.
July 9, 2014
It's kind of a mess, but Transylvania 6-5000 does deliver some good laughs. The story follows two reporters who are sent to Transylvania to investigate a Frankenstein siting and end up stumbling upon a bizarre conspiracy. Starring Jeff Goldblum, Ed Begley Jr., Michael Richards, Jeffrey Jones, Geena Davis, and Carol Kane, the cast is rather impressive and they do a good job at handling the farcical style of comedy. Some of the humor is actually pretty clever, while other parts are overly cartoonish. Transylvania 6-5000 is an entertaining romp, but it sort of falls apart in the end.
May 26, 2014
Jeff Goldblum and Ed Begley Jr. portray a pair of tabloid "journalists" who are sent to Transylvania on a quest to find the real Frankenstein monster. What follows is one of the most painfully unfunny attempts at comedy that I've ever sat through. None of it works, but the parts with Michael Richards were especially grueling. It makes me a little sad when I think about how lots of money and thousands of working hours were spent on bringing this incompetent turkey to the silver screen.
½ April 14, 2014
Got 20 minutes in, the quality of the jokes made me quit.
February 8, 2012
Pretty funny, I liked it.
November 9, 2013
Jack (Jeff Goldblum) and Gil (Ed Begley Jr) are writers for The Sensation which is owned by Gil's father, Mac (Norman Fell). Following the receipt of a video showing Frankenstein's monster, Jack and Gil are sent to Transylvania with strict instructions to return with proof that the creature is real and that means photos. Both writers find themselves the butt of many jokes with the town mayor (Jeffrey Jones) happy to dismiss their work as nonsense with Dracula and Frankenstein being fictitious when Transylvania has so much more to offer than ghouls and ghosts. Will Jack and Gil find a story? This is a mildly amusing eighties comedy with Goldblum and Jones being the highlights. The film is also notable for an early appearance from Geena Davis as a vampire, a year before she and Goldblum would join forces for a spot of teleportation in The Fly. If you don't take this film too seriously and expect something as crazy as a Monty Python sketch then it offers a fun albeit limited 90 minutes.
½ August 15, 2013
Not very good or even funny for that matter. The only thing I like is the fact that it has Frankenstein a vampire a werewolf and it's an 80s movie with sweet 80s music and 80's sound effects. Other than that it's a comedy thats not funny. I liked it alot when I was a kid though!!!!
August 2, 2013
The movie tries to be funny, but I only laughed a couple of times. The jokes are kind of stale or weak, but it's not entirely a bad film. It has a fun twist on classic monsters, zany characters, and a few good jokes. Overall, it's a neat concept, but it doesn't fully deliver.
July 14, 2013
I had seen bits and pieces of this on Comedy central when it was in regular rotation one summer dozen years ago or more, but finally watched it properly. A reporting duo from a New York tabloid are sent to Transylvania to get a story about Frankenstein's monster. Kramer stars in this movie. So does Geena Davis, at her hottest (maybe she's only better in "Earth Girls Are Easy"). The principal from Ferris Bueller's Day Off, the ghost of Christmas present from Scrooged, Ed Begly Jr and Jeff Goldblum round out the cast. (Jeff Goldblum ruins so many things I could like, Janeane Garofalo is the only person to do this more.) The humor was kinda blah; neither the right amount of goofiness or silliness.
July 1, 2013
The only thing that works in this stinker is Michael Richards. His small appearances as the kooky butler are hilarious. Hell, Jeff Goldblum thinks so too; he can't hide his silly smirk whenever Kramer shares the screen with him. Everything else is just lousy.
blkbomb
May 24, 2013
Transylvania 6-5000 is a sort of comedic spoof of the classic monsters. What you should know about it going in, is that it is beyond stupid. Its so far beyond stupid, that it really makes you think about how someone could come up with something like this. The movie uses its ridiculousness to its advantage in spots, but most of the time, the jokes just don't work. It isn't a funny movie, and that's where the movie ultimately fails.

Two reporters are sent to Transylvania to find Frankenstein for a story. If they don't uncover a story, they will be fired. Once they arrive in Transylvania, they quickly meet the mayor, who just happens to own the hotel they are staying in. Quickly, one of the reporters begins to start believing in the monsters, while the other just wants a beautiful woman he met there. Things do become increasingly strange though, as a police inspector and the mayor act very weird about a certain doctor who has had his license revoked.

There are some things to like about the film. For one, Geena Davis's chest and legs. Two, Jeff Goldblum. Three, the movie has a certain appeal to it that I can't describe. It feels like I should have been having more fun then I was. I guess that is a compliment. Other than those though, the movie was just a stupid piece throwaway entertainment. Ultimately, I've had much worse times watching movies, so I won't be too hard on it.
½ May 6, 2013
½ April 30, 2013
"Crap, I like crap, I love crap, I need crap, crap is what sells newspapers. Look around you, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap!"-Mac Turner (Norman Fell)

I think the whole production was coked out of their gourd, it wanted to be a Mel Brooks film (directed by a writer of a few of Brooks' films), but was void of laughter. I did, however, grin at Dr. Malaragua's (Joseph Bologna) antics and Kramer's leg gag. Geena Davis' costume was quite titillating as well.
March 29, 2013
Yes the title of this film is a silly twist on the classic Glen Miller song and they sure make the most of that pun throughout the film sheesh!.

I'm not quite sure what to think of this really, straight away its clear this is a low budget silly film which isn't suppose to be taken seriously and REALLY looks like its trying to be another 'Young Frankenstein'. Unfortunately it fails pretty badly with a serious lack of laughs and a huge amount of embarrassingly poor visual gags and prat falls.

Looking back now it looks hella shit of course haha really low budget with no special effects and hardly any set work either. The only thing going for it is the genuine use of Yugoslavian location work, they went all that way to make this?!!.

I'm still not so sure what on earth it was all about really, just a couple reporters looking for classic monsters in modern day (at the time) Transylvania. They manage to find all manner of weird locals and possible ghouls but all is not what it seems, so it seems. The whole thing is really pretty pointless to be honest, not funny, not very atmospheric and not exciting or engaging. The only thing is the impressive cast that weren't back then of course.

It really does feel like a poor mans 'Young Frankenstein' with Joseph Bologna doing his best 'Dr Fronk-en-steen' type impression, Michael Richards AND John Byner doing their best 'Igor' type impressions, Jeff Goldblum didn't need to be here at all and neither did Jeff Jones. On the plus side Geena Davis looks young and hot as the nymphomaniac vampire, best thing in the film!.

The films poster is much more creepy, kooky and fun looking, false advertising there, a spoof which isn't funny, hmmm not good that. Bit of a throw away trashy 'horror comedy' that I thought might be an old forgotten gem...but it isn't.
½ March 24, 2013
I have always wanted to see this movie because the poster just looks awesome. Plus the loaded cast, it has a name that hints at monsters. It has to rock right?

I will just say it's more of a cover up film that anything. By the time any 'monsters' hit the screen, it's already an hour into it. And the ending will probably anger some.

Michael Richards' over acting is horrible here.

The best thing in this movie is Geena Davis' sexy costume and cleavage. The rest of the film is boring and unfunny. A great cast is very much wasted.