The Treasure of the Sierra Madre Reviews

June 29, 2014
Walter Huston steals the scene and deserved the Oscar he won, but Bogart was unfairly not even nominated for his phenomenal performance in this classic that is all at once a light adventure, a riveting character study and a powerful morality tale about greed and paranoia.
½ June 13, 2014
A bit strict rate i got to say, but i expected more...
January 1, 2009
I have never really been a fan of old b&w films however seeing this as #1 on RT list of 100 top western films and seeing that Bogey starred in it I decided to give it a chance... Well it only proved one thing and that was to stay clear of old movies as the acting aside from Walter Huston's performance was atrocious. The storyline kept me watching however...although I found the ending ridiculous .Well I guess with these old films people must be seeing something I'm not ad it was deemed 100 % fresh and #1 on the list...well unto #2 on the list "The Good The Bad And The Ugly another western I have yet to see..I hear Clint Eastwood is in that?
May 13, 2014
Another Bogart classic as he tries to outwit fellow desperate fellows in a bid to find treasure in Mexico. It is a classic tale of green and broken friendships but told in a very delightful way.
March 15, 2014
Humphrey Bogart stars in this John Huston film about a couple of down on their luck guys who team up with an old prospector in search of gold. It follows their adventures from finding the gold, to digging it up, and then trying to get it back and be rich. It is possibly most famous for its "stinking badges!" line, which I knew long before I ever discovered it's true origin. The film is far better than just one line though, quite enjoyable, and Bogart gives a great performance.
February 26, 2014
I give this 5 stars for many reasons but first, the cinematography is impeccable, as pro as it gets, the angles are perfectly calibrated for maximum impact, the use of black, white and shade is optimal, the editing is seemless, almost lyrical in itself. The story is great, the action is good, the caracter dynamic is thrilling and the actors are fun (Bogart plays a major moron to perfection). Even the stupid juvenile score is grand (these old guys loved theirs chords, trombone and overdramatic trebbles, what can we do) So all in all its a perfect realisation. Its my 4rth John Huston, after Maltese Falcon, Casablanca and African Queen; i think ill dig some more... One flaw ; the offensive depiction of indians and mexicans. It cannot be excused but it was litterally impossible to expect better from Hollywood in 48. So overlooking this aberration, thats Gold Hollywood at its best, self centered as it is
February 21, 2014
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a film that took me a long time to getting around to watching, and it was certainly worth the wait. Humphrey Bogart stars as a money-hungry drifter looking for wealth wherever he can find it. Eventually, his greed gets the best of him as he becomes increasingly and erratically paranoid about the intentions of his partners, played by Walter Huston and Tim Holt. Director John Huston continues to turn the screw in the tension over the course of the film using score and Bogart's amazing performance, keeping his audience on the edge of their seat at all times. Beautifully-shot and incredibly well-acted, the film is a true masterpiece of cinema, and one that I'm glad to have finally seen for myself.
March 7, 2013
"You're not a star until they can spell your name in Karachi", Humphrey Bogart once said. And such a star he was, although you'd never guess it from 'The Treasure of the Sierra Madre' - Dusty, grimy, unshaven, Bogart plays Fred C Dobbs, a pitiable vagabond who decides to look for gold with two other similarly positioned men, and spirals into increasing desperation and paranoia over the course of his quest. It is a mesmerizing and utterly convincing performance, matched by his two on-screen partners - the quiet and sensible Curtin (Tim Holt), and the savvy, no-nonsense veteran prospector (Walter Huston, fantastic). This is a thrilling movie about a treasure hunt through the Mexican mountains, but it is also riveting as a character study: It is thoroughly convincing in its portrayal of how morality can slowly melt away under the wild sun, assisted by the slow simmer of greed.
February 3, 2014
Stinkin' badges, enough said.
January 24, 2014
Few films should ever be given 5* ratings. This is one.
January 19, 2014
Bien plus qu'un simple western sur la Ruee vers l'Or, Les Aventuriers de la Sierra Madre est une etude de personnage particulierement passionnante, tant qu'on reste dans la montagne. Le film ralentit considerablement dans son troisieme acte, malgre les performances exceptionnelles d'Humphrey Bogart, Tim Holt et Walter Huston. La musique de Max Steiner est particulierement reussie.
January 18, 2014
This is why I'm a movie lover.
½ September 14, 2012
Quotable but not recommendable, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre has a compelling story, but eventually becomes too morose and depressing at the end for it to be enjoyed. And it features the most sickeningly cheery theme music since Return of the Jedi.
January 7, 2014
A true classic,with Walter Huston stealing the show
January 4, 2014
Superb movie. Every inch the all-time classic it is made out to be. John Huston doesn't put a foot wrong in a movie that it on the surface a Western- / adventure-epic, but deep down it is so much more than that. It is about greed, and how wealth corrupts, and what is important in life.

Even ignoring the deeper meaning, it is an excellent movie. Brilliant plot. Enthralling, not at all predictable and incredibly engaging. You are lead on a continuous, unflagging, adventure, where you care what happens to the characters, but have no idea how things will turn out.

Humphrey Bogart didn't get an Oscar nomination for his performance, but he deserved one. For once he isn't necessarily a good guy, and his portrayal of Dobbs' descent into paranoia and madness are incredible to behold. Superb performance by Bogart, and possibly his best. Only Casablanca, and maybe The Caine Mutiny, comes close, I think.

Good support from Tim Holt and Walter Huston. Walter Huston won Best Supporting Actor for his performance, which would make for a rare feat - a son directing his father to an Oscar-winning performance.

Surely one of the greatest movies ever made.
December 24, 2013
Pretty good movie. I didn't like how so much of it was in Spanish though. And it was a bit too long. But, the story is unpredictable, the acting is great, and the morals are well-created.
December 17, 2013
This is one of the classic Humphrey Bogart movies. It's about three gold prospectors that turn on each other after they've dug up a fortune in gold in the Mexican mountains. It's set in 1925 after the Mexican Revolution. In the remote areas of Mexico bands of rebels turn bandits still roam and terrorize the population. The new Revolutionary government of Mexico is sending out the new Federal Police force to round up the bandits and execute them without trial when caught. This underlying corruption of the Mexican Government has extended to today, bandits have turned into drug smugglers and the Mexican Police take bribes to allow the drug smuggling and Mexican National government has to use the Army to fight the drug smugglers. In 1925 Mexicans and Americans could cross the border freely. Humphrey Bogart plays an American who gets trapped in Mexico without any money to get home. They don't explain how he got there but there was a recession in the U.S.A after the First World War. There may have been many single men who went to Mexico to seek their fortune but fell on hard times once they got there. The first time I heard of this movie was when Robert Blake was promoting his TV show Beretta on the Johnny Carson show. They show the clip of him with Humphrey Bogart. He played the little Mexican boy selling raffle tickets. The movie inspired a Saturday Night Live skit too, Mexican bees with no badges.
garyX
½ November 5, 2006
Two down at heel Americans stranded in the backwaters of Mexico use the last of their money to go searching for gold in the company of grizzled old prospector Walter Huston. Unfortunately when they strike it rich, avarice turns them against each other resulting in deceit and murder. John Huston's classic story of greed is based upon The Pardoner's Tale from Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales. It's basically a morality story warning of the dangers of greed and how the promise of wealth can blacken a man's heart; in this case Humphrey Bogart in quite possibly his finest performance. Huston is also marvellous as the pragmatic and worldly wise old geezer who predicted everything that occurs to the disbelief of his initially wide eyed and enthusiastic partners. The suspense builds tangibly as the former friends become more and more suspicious of each other, all three at one point or another tempted to stab each other in the back for their share of the goods. It's a brilliant story, expertly told by some of the best in the business and one of the true cinematic greats. One of those films anyone who calls themself a movie buff must surely have on their list.
November 21, 2013
The greatest story of greed and redemption
June 10, 2013
Aqui, Huston usa o ouro como pano de fundo para criar um filme simplesmente perfeito sobre a ganāncia dos homens!