The Treasure of the Sierra Madre Reviews

October 27, 2014
a movie about mans morality about the loss of self esteem and the struggle with the seven sins.
October 24, 2014
One of director John Huston's finest films, with Bogie giving an epic performance as prospector Fred C Dobbs. One of the Forties' greatest triumphs and a stunning and sobering morality play. Essential.
½ October 19, 2014
One of the finest American classics of all time. The Treasure of Sierra Madre is a meticulously crafted drama, and Humphrey Bogart shines like a gold throughout.
½ May 19, 2013
The essence of human self-interest is powerfully explored in John Huston's intelligent and fascinating classic.
½ August 6, 2013
Judging by cinematic skills of the 1940s, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a provocative disclosure of the destruction of greediness on mankind. However, the corruption is indeed resulted from the relatively more implicit criticisms on capitalist exploitation, which is becoming increasingly true in modern era. Just imagine the drastic change of Humphrey Bogart, is that spine-shivering? The fruitless ending is an acrimonious sarcasm and irony to the ulterior objects in view of the protagonists, but somehow an exemplification of justice and reward to 'kindness', or maybe wisdom of insight into worldly affairs. Bogart is undoubtedly brilliant for sacrificing his established image of good guy since Casablanca, but the real difference is made by the glamorous Walter Huston.
August 23, 2014
Again, mankind is evil..
½ March 6, 2010
(First and only viewing - 4/21/2011)
July 25, 2014
One could say it's a great meditation on greed and its effect on ones soul. One could also say it's a template for a great SImpsons episode :)
June 29, 2014
Walter Huston steals the scene and deserved the Oscar he won, but Bogart was unfairly not even nominated for his phenomenal performance in this classic that is all at once a light adventure, a riveting character study and a powerful morality tale about greed and paranoia.
½ June 13, 2014
A bit strict rate i got to say, but i expected more...
January 1, 2009
I have never really been a fan of old b&w films however seeing this as #1 on RT list of 100 top western films and seeing that Bogey starred in it I decided to give it a chance... Well it only proved one thing and that was to stay clear of old movies as the acting aside from Walter Huston's performance was atrocious. The storyline kept me watching however...although I found the ending ridiculous .Well I guess with these old films people must be seeing something I'm not ad it was deemed 100 % fresh and #1 on the list...well unto #2 on the list "The Good The Bad And The Ugly another western I have yet to see..I hear Clint Eastwood is in that?
May 13, 2014
Another Bogart classic as he tries to outwit fellow desperate fellows in a bid to find treasure in Mexico. It is a classic tale of green and broken friendships but told in a very delightful way.
March 15, 2014
Humphrey Bogart stars in this John Huston film about a couple of down on their luck guys who team up with an old prospector in search of gold. It follows their adventures from finding the gold, to digging it up, and then trying to get it back and be rich. It is possibly most famous for its "stinking badges!" line, which I knew long before I ever discovered it's true origin. The film is far better than just one line though, quite enjoyable, and Bogart gives a great performance.
February 26, 2014
I give this 5 stars for many reasons but first, the cinematography is impeccable, as pro as it gets, the angles are perfectly calibrated for maximum impact, the use of black, white and shade is optimal, the editing is seemless, almost lyrical in itself. The story is great, the action is good, the caracter dynamic is thrilling and the actors are fun (Bogart plays a major moron to perfection). Even the stupid juvenile score is grand (these old guys loved theirs chords, trombone and overdramatic trebbles, what can we do) So all in all its a perfect realisation. Its my 4rth John Huston, after Maltese Falcon, Casablanca and African Queen; i think ill dig some more... One flaw ; the offensive depiction of indians and mexicans. It cannot be excused but it was litterally impossible to expect better from Hollywood in 48. So overlooking this aberration, thats Gold Hollywood at its best, self centered as it is
February 21, 2014
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a film that took me a long time to getting around to watching, and it was certainly worth the wait. Humphrey Bogart stars as a money-hungry drifter looking for wealth wherever he can find it. Eventually, his greed gets the best of him as he becomes increasingly and erratically paranoid about the intentions of his partners, played by Walter Huston and Tim Holt. Director John Huston continues to turn the screw in the tension over the course of the film using score and Bogart's amazing performance, keeping his audience on the edge of their seat at all times. Beautifully-shot and incredibly well-acted, the film is a true masterpiece of cinema, and one that I'm glad to have finally seen for myself.
March 7, 2013
"You're not a star until they can spell your name in Karachi", Humphrey Bogart once said. And such a star he was, although you'd never guess it from 'The Treasure of the Sierra Madre' - Dusty, grimy, unshaven, Bogart plays Fred C Dobbs, a pitiable vagabond who decides to look for gold with two other similarly positioned men, and spirals into increasing desperation and paranoia over the course of his quest. It is a mesmerizing and utterly convincing performance, matched by his two on-screen partners - the quiet and sensible Curtin (Tim Holt), and the savvy, no-nonsense veteran prospector (Walter Huston, fantastic). This is a thrilling movie about a treasure hunt through the Mexican mountains, but it is also riveting as a character study: It is thoroughly convincing in its portrayal of how morality can slowly melt away under the wild sun, assisted by the slow simmer of greed.
February 3, 2014
Stinkin' badges, enough said.
January 24, 2014
Few films should ever be given 5* ratings. This is one.
January 19, 2014
Bien plus qu'un simple western sur la Ruee vers l'Or, Les Aventuriers de la Sierra Madre est une etude de personnage particulierement passionnante, tant qu'on reste dans la montagne. Le film ralentit considerablement dans son troisieme acte, malgre les performances exceptionnelles d'Humphrey Bogart, Tim Holt et Walter Huston. La musique de Max Steiner est particulierement reussie.
January 18, 2014
This is why I'm a movie lover.