L'albero degli Zoccoli (The Tree of Wooden Clogs) Reviews

jimbotender
October 3, 2008
Sometimes,you don't need none but the amateur's heart.Olmi's glorifying tenderness qualifies his ability to show reality as a glass of water:he embodies Nature as the God of agricultural loneliness(and poverty).Goddess to be precise...
April 19, 2015
The story is a little thin and fickle for a three hour movie. I felt like a tourist visiting a traditional town and just soaking it all in instead of getting involved personally in anyone's life. The movie is more committed to the community as a whole than the individuals in the community.
August 23, 2013
If you only see one 3 hour long film about 19th century Italian peasants, make it this one.
February 5, 2013
Um ótimo filme que retrata a vida simples de um grupo de camponeses e as injustiças que eles sofrem.
October 21, 2012
There's a spirit of community here in the simple lives of Olmi's turn-of-the-previous-century peasants that seems totally lost today (and perhaps was already lost when the film was made in 1978). However, the hard work and hardships endured then surely required a collective orientation and some compassion (which might also be welcome today). Watching this film, you will experience a year in the lives of a few families, centered on the rhythms and routines of the earth, no real plot, just rich and detailed anecdotes, lovingly recreated. The Tree of Wooden Clogs is nearly a documentary, with no flashy camerawork and only non-professional actors who are so submerged into the context that they don't even get names (at least none that were subtitled).
August 6, 2012
I saw this film at the age of 22 first time - 1978.... nothing moved me as much, in cinema or made me feel my humanity. I am now 56....I am still as moved, still as haunted by its reality..where are the accolades for this highly underrated movie..it is truly brilliant in its characterization, in its timing , most beautiful cinematography , most poignant and touching moments..
July 26, 2012
What a beautiful film!
July 14, 2011
Italian neo-realism at its best.
½ April 24, 2011
Excellent work from Olmi with a "real" cast and breathtaking cinematography. Its like watching poetry in motion.