Trees Lounge Reviews

Page 2 of 16
Super Reviewer
½ October 26, 2014
A melancholic yet humorous look into alcoholism that should be remembered for a great dialogue that never sounds expository, yet the plot feels a bit dispersed around many situations, which somehow curiously reflects how Buscemi's character lives his unfocused life.
½ September 10, 2014
Every once in a while I see a film that reminds me that Steve Buscemi is brilliant. I mean it, I think Steve Buscemi is one of the best American actors working today. He's certainly the most underrated. You can can see the proof of this in Reservoir Dog, The Messenger, Fargo, and in Trees Lounge. So for those readers who know him as one of the ubiquitous supporting actors in Adam Sandler's Happy Madison production; know that his talents are being extremely underserved there. Here is Trees Lounge, he writes, directs, as well as stars. Steve Buscemi plays Tommy, a down-on-his-luck, out of work, alcoholic barfly who seems to have a talent for making terrible decisions. Still, he's a nice guy, and you're still very capable of sympathizing with him. The film follows him as he goes through whats left of his life, trying to pick up the pieces from his terrible life choices. The entire film is an examination of his alcoholism and laziness as he interacts with the world around him in the small New York town he lives. Steve Buscemi is brilliant in the lead role, and he's joined by a stellar supporting cast as well. Trees Lounge isn't especially ambitious, but it's a nice little film from Director Steve Buscemi.
½ September 6, 2014
Kinda like watching an ant farm with people.
September 2, 2014
"Trees Lounge" is all about the nuanced performances and characters and Mr. Buscemi, behind and in front of the camera, powers his creation with skill and heart. What "Barfly" wanted to be . . .
½ August 22, 2014
Every once in a while I see a film that reminds me that Steve Buscemi is brilliant. I mean it, I think Steve Buscemi is one of the best American actors working today. He's certainly the most underrated. You can can see the proof of this in Reservoir Dog, The Messenger, Fargo, and in Trees Lounge. So for those readers who know him as one of the ubiquitous supporting actors in Adam Sandler's Happy Madison production; know that his talents are being extremely underserved there. Here is Trees Lounge, he writes, directs, as well as stars. Steve Buscemi plays Tommy, a down-on-his-luck, out of work, alcoholic barfly who seems to have a talent for making terrible decisions. Still, he's a nice guy, and you're still very capable of sympathizing with him. The film follows him as he goes through whats left of his life, trying to pick up the pieces from his terrible life choices. The entire film is an examination of his alcoholism and laziness as he interacts with the world around him in the small New York town he lives. Steve Buscemi is brilliant in the lead role, and he's joined by a stellar supporting cast as well. Trees Lounge isn't especially ambitious, but it's a nice little film from Director Steve Buscemi.
August 1, 2014
A great work by steve Buscemi. Tells a story is seen to be very realistic.
May 14, 2014
I love this movie so much.
There is no fancy adaptation but there is an unaffectedly life of people.
December 13, 2006
This is a great independent film. Steve Buscemi gives a great lead performance and does a good job as both writer and director of the film. The entire supporting cast also does a great job. This is a character driven movie, not a lot of plot but it is still really enjoyable.
January 31, 2014
Steve Buscemi's first film as writer and director. Bit of Bukowski feel about it. Milf twitch from Mimi Rogers. Brillant.
January 6, 2014
Film about a Long Island loser, 31-year-old unemployed man who spends most his time getting drunk in the titular watering hole and leading a pathetic non-existance. Buscemi's directorial debut is more a character study than a rewarding story and for this reason it can sometimes seem slow and dull whether by intention or not. The performances are great.
August 2, 2013
Good acting and directing here, but there's simply no storyline. The movie finished and I was left wondering what it was supposed to be about.
½ April 28, 2011
Tommy: Everybody's fucked up, but nobody wants anybody else to think they are, but everybody knows they are anyway.

Steve Buscemi dirige y es el protagonista de esta película, que mayormente transcurre en un bar llamado Trees Lounge, donde casualmente al frente del local hay un árbol que reemplaza la palabra Tree en la primera escena. Conocemos a Tommy, y al poco tiempo se nota que no tiene dirección alguna en su vida, se encuentra estancado, y ahoga sus penas en alcohol. Trees Lounge es un drama, pero logra excelentemente la transición a comedia naturalmente, y es que es necesario, ya que la situación no es necesariamente esperanzadora para Tommy, pero lo conlleva lo mejor que puede. Toda la película está dirigida de manera que se ve el día a día de un alcohólico, donde a veces se tiene días mejores que otros, pero da la sensación de que sin importar lo que pase, nunca toma la responsabilidad por si mismo. y vive la vida totalmente intoxicado y sin importarle nada ni nadie. No es casualidad que todas las personas en su vida se hayan ido, y si no se van por voluntad propia, el los aleja. Un día conoce a Debbie (Chloe Sevigny) y pareciera que recobra un poco de vida, pero finalmente se da cuenta que no puede seguir tomando decisiones erradas y vemos algo de esperanza de que tal vez, solo tal vez, pueda encaminarse en su vida. Esta película demuestra otra vez más que Steve Buscemi no solo es un actor talentoso sino también un gran director y narrador de historias. Tomó un personaje que posiblemente pudo haber sido inspirado en el mismo, y nos muestra su día a día sin ningún tapujo o tratando de endulzar la historia, y es que así es la vida. También reunió a un elenco de primera, donde cada uno tiene una personalidad distintiva, e interesante. De vez en cuando la historia caía en una monotonía, y me hubiera gustado ver un poco más de desarrollo en los personajes, y un poco más de empatía.
½ September 15, 2013
Poignant, authentic, yet sublimely understated tale of a suburban Long Island neighbourhood.

Buscemi, in his directorial debut, doesn't once conform to any conventional cinematic standard to pull the audience through to the end. We're all very happy to tag along.
½ September 4, 2013
Despite the loser tone, it held my interest all the way through. Mr. Buscemi is the most-sought character actors of his time; this is his first writer/director credit.
½ September 3, 2013
Some of the reviews said this was depressing and not a comedy. To me this was a very sophisticated comedy. It wasn't trying to be funny, it just was. The real issue here was how people spend their time when they have no clue how to make a sound decision, have nothing meaningful to bring to a convers...read moreation, as well as have no clear purpose yet established in life. I found myself laughing outloud a few times during this movie because it took a real drama situation we can all relate to, and it played out to an audience who by now knew better than to make the same mistakes.
July 11, 2013
Really good indie film directed by Steve Buscemi
June 27, 2013
It's a quick 90 minutes - felt more like 60.
½ May 14, 2013
Trees Lounge proves that Steve Buscemi can be a great leading actor in a film. It's a shame that he's often only used in bit parts.
ECF
½ May 12, 2013
Decent. I know Buscemi directed and wrote this. Which I give him credit for. I'd like to see him do more of it. There is something poetic about this entire story. A lot of really cool cameos of young actors just getting their start. Steve Buscemi plays a barfly who fucked up his whole life. Kind of guy everyone has in their life. Then he meets a 17 year old girl who looks 14. And things get weird. Didn't expect that to happen. Yep. Interesting Concept. Solid Execution. Watch it.
January 25, 2013
Realistic sleeper with way-above average acting by a whole host of solid support stars. Buscemi triumph.
Page 2 of 16