Tremors 4 - The Legend Begins Reviews

½ March 24, 2012
I was pretty recluctant to watch this after disliking the 3rd Tremors movie. Thankfully, this film was an improvement. A lot of peole criticize this movie mainly for being a western, but if you think of it, the first three Tremors movies were pretty much modern-day westerns. (Modern-day back when they first came out.) I had no problem with the western aspect mainly because I like westerns. Obviously, Tremors 4 is a prequel that explains when the town of Perfection (It's named Rejection in this movie) first discovers the Graboids. The only original cast member from any previous Tremors movies in this film is Michael Gross (He's been in every Tremors movie.) yet, he doesn't play Burt Gummer. He plays his ancestor, Hiram Gummer. I really liked how Hiram and Burt are related, yet they're two completely people. Burt was a gun loving tough guy who knew what to do in any situation and he was generally a nice guy. Hiram, however is just a rich, snobby dick to everyone and he can't even hold a gun the right way. Michael Gross did a really good job playing someone he probably isn't accustomed to. In Tremors 3 there was a heavy usage of CGI and I hated it. In Tremors 4, most of the technical stuff is puppetry, but there is a little bit of CGI involved. The humor that the first two Tremors movies had and the third one was missing is in this movie and I really enjoyed that as well. The script was more aware of the audience as well. The director seemed to realize that Tremors has a pretty big fanbase and the third one easily pissed a lot of people off so he had to return to roots of the first two. All in all, this film had fun characters, really good action scenes, nice script and a solid return to original roots in the series.
MANUGINO
January 7, 2010
A Revolution Has Begun...

Very crappy as I expected, it was painful to watch as they have ruin such a great monster creature story with films like these and tremors 3.. They keep changing the directors what's up with that? Only watch if your a fan of the first 2 films.

In 1889, the town of Rejection, Nevada, depends on a nearby silver mine for its income. Rejection has a few residents. Christine Lord runs the local inn, which doesn't get a lot of business because Carson City is the busiest settlement in the area. Pyong Lien Chang, his wife Lu Wan Chang, and his son Fu Yien Chang are immigrants from China, and they own Chang's Market. Other residents include Old Fred, Brick Walters, Stony Walters, Big Horse Johnson, Soggy, miner Juan Pedilla, and Christine's friend Tecopa. When a hot spring causes four eggs to hatch, several men who work in the silver mine are killed by whatever hatched from the eggs. Everyone is too terrified to enter the mine. No one wants to risk their lives, even if shutting down the mine would mean the death of the town. With the mine shut down, the mine's owner, Hiram Gummer, arrives in the area from Philadelphia to investigate. Juan acts as Hiram's guide. As it turns out, each egg hatched a Graboid, but 1889 was about 100 years before they were called Graboids, so Hiram calls them Dirt Dragons. When the Dirt Dragons prove to be too much for the residents of Rejection to handle, Hiram calls upon Black Hand Kelly, the fastest gunslinger in the west. Kelly brings in the heavy artillery, which proves to be absolutely useless when the baby Dirt Dragons grow to enormous size, and one of them kills Kelly. As a result, Hiram decides to leave town, while everyone else refuses to leave the place that they call home. While Hiram is in Carson City, he intercepts a wired message that the Dirt Dragons are no longer in the area where the mine is -- they're heading right for Rejection. Hiram goes to a local firearms store, and he returns to Rejection, very heavily armed. With those weapons, which include a huge punt gun, Hiram and the townspeople prepare to defend the town against the Dirt Dragons.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ June 9, 2010
This film is very underrated. It was a pleasant film to watch, and is sure to appeal to every Tremors fan who've watched the first three. I think that this film is better than the weaker Back To Perfection. I think the reason that this film succeeds so much is because it returns to the witty, more comical elements than the first two, instead of the irritating elements of the third. I just the concept of a Tremors film in old west, the only thing missing would be Henry Fonda and Clint Eastwood in the film to make it more awesome. The film is a nonstop laugh fest with Horror and Thrills all rolled in to one. The cast is also a very good one, and they give splendid performances, The Legend Begins, is a great way to end this fun little series.
deano
½ April 24, 2007
I am very impressed with Tremors 4. Most prequels have flaws, but this one has legitimate explanations for everything, such as why there is no mention of these incidents in the previous three movies. And Michael Gross is outstanding as Hiram Gummer, great-grandfather to Burt Gummer. Same actor, different character, but equally well-played. I think it's obvious now that if Gross were to ever leave the franchise, there probably wouldn't be anymore sequels/prequels made. He's made himself too important, and that's all the better for these movies.
One thing that I was truly impressed with in this movie is that there is WAY less CGI than there was in the previous two movies. They've gone back mainly to puppetry and animatronics, just the way we like our special effects. Real. It helps us believe what we're seeing. For example, there is one moment where a graboid comes through the floor and a guy is lifted on its back.
puffchunk
October 23, 2007
So bad. And this is comming from a huge tremors fan, ...they just shouldn't have.
June 10, 2007
The weakest of the series I felt. This one goes back to the old wild west when they had their first encounter with the grabzoids. Meant to be a comedy, or was it?
skactopus
April 27, 2007
This was the worst of the series, but if your a fan you will most likely enjoy this. It did feel out of place compared with the rest, but that's most likely because it takes place in the wild west. The special effects are nothing special, but you will see where Burt Gummer gets his gun addiction from.
May 9, 2012
I am a long time fan of the Tremors movies but I think they milked it till so hard like the saw and hell raiser movies that once they got to Tremors 4, they were low on a budget and low on ideas and made me loose interest in following any further. All though the movie is still worth a watch, I was not highly satisfied with it.
Over the Rising Sun
March 19, 2010
The fourth in the horror/thriller series "Tremors", about killer worms that attack a small town in the middle of the desert. "Tremors 4" is a prequel to the previous 3; it's set in the 1800s, and is about the town's first encounters with the worms. Unlike the previous 3 films, this one officially accepts its sense of comedy, which caused the acting to become stale and incredibly tongue in cheek, while still dealing with a serious topic. Overall, acting is beyond devastating, the action is nearly non existant, and the majority of the film is full of historical reanactments of historical innaccuracies. AVOID THIS FILM unless you are a die hard fan of the previous 3.
moviefan1725
½ April 5, 2008
A return to form for the Tremors series, this one is a prequel that takes us back to the Old West, when the town of Perfection was known as Rejection. Michael Gross returns to series, but not as his original character, but as his own great-grandfather. When local miners begin to disappear, the owner (Gross) comes to investigate. What he discovers are our old friends, th Graboids. But not like you'd expect. Here for the first time, we see them at the beginning stage of their evolution. As smaller creatures, still capable of pulling a person underground, but can launch themselves out of the ground, and take a bite out of you. Gross rallies the townspeople as they try to save what's left of their homes, and fight the creatures off. A great performance by Gross as he has become the face of this franchise. A fun combination of the western and the monster movie, the final confrontation between the Graboids and the townsfolk is inventive and exciting. Another quality entry into one of the most solid franchises in this genre.
February 11, 2012
No where near as good as the first three at all but again if your a fan of the first three you might want to see this not so good sequel.
½ September 27, 2011
This is by far the weakest of the franchise. A prequel in a series which certainly did not need one.

The biggest complaint is that it is simply boring. Caught awkwardly between horror, camp-comedy and western and can't make up its mind. Gone is the witty banter of the first 3, replaced by uninteresting and overdone proper English and dry acting.

Gross is clearly out of his element, completely removed from the Burt Gummer we've come to know and love. The monsters are uninspired and seldom seen, making for a pretty boring film.

I would rank this a solid step behind the mediocre at best and short lived TV series. This is a film for die-hard fans of the franchise. Otherwise, I can't say I'd recommend it.
terris85017
½ July 16, 2011
This very cinematically improved last sequel I stumbled upon at our local Walgreens DVD value bin! As 2 long-time, devoted fans, my son & I (both fans of the genre--comedic horror/suspense) gave ourselves a treat and saw this belly laugh-filled tale that goes backward in time to the 1899 Wild West when someone else HAD previously encountered the original, obscure & previously undiscovered desert "underground monsters." :) Michael Gross surprises and sexy 70's co-star Billy Drago adds his own unique flair and eye candy to this hearty cast when he portrays a gunslinger who "believes" when circumstances make it impossible to doubt!
June 6, 2011
the tremors are like somuch of the moives in the passed out of order but still good see 1 thow 4 good clien fun
August 27, 2010
S.S. Wilson returns to the "Tremors" series, but there isn't much he can do to save this one. "Tremors 4" is like "Back to the Future 3" except with Graboids. So... as you can see, it's not very original. The humor from the previous efforts isn't really that present, and the story is just barely decent. There's some bad CG creatures and effects in this flick as well. Stick to the other three movies if you're looking to have fun. Not recommended.
½ August 23, 2009
This was good and not bad for prequal, but it does answer a lot questions and it just cracks me up every time I watch it.
November 28, 2008
Why the hell did they bring back this director?? I mean off course it went straight to DVD but still.
½ October 4, 2008
truly a diffrent take on all of it set in the wild west and get to see baby ones was cool and seeing michael gross in a truly diffrent role in theses then were used to makes it awsome and its kinda cool see them reunderstand all the rules.. and hey i give it to SS wilson for not wanted any cgi in this at all
½ July 18, 2008
Lame, lame, lame.
Still the ugly keeps getting uglier, but the plot with the past life of our gun slinger, goes from bad to worst.
September 20, 2008
Not as bad as Tremors 3 but still nowhere near as good as the first two movies. Eye can't help but somehow like this movie due to the returning focus on the burrowing worm creatues. Even for a B movie this movie is a bit too dim-wited for it's own good. If you have been dyeing to see the killer worms back in action this is definitly worth a rental.