Trespass - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Trespass Reviews

blkbomb
½ July 5, 2012
Kyle Miller: You let my wife leave and then I'll give you what you want!

"When terror is at your door, you can run, or you can fight."

If there were any justice in this world, Joel Schumacher would be done making movies after this abomination. He's made a few decent movies throughout his career, but there is no excuse for this. It's one of the worst movies you could ever force yourself to see. The cast is wasted, and again Cage picks a movie that he should have never been a part of. Same goes for Kidman. Liana Liberato is actually a decent young actress as well, and her performance is wasted on one of the worst scripts ever.

A husband and wife are taken hostage in their own home. Their daughter had just left for a party, but she will be back. The home invasion was supposed to take fifteen minutes, but it doesn't go as planned. Big surprise there. From there it is stupid plot development after stupid plot development, with godawful backstories to go along with everything. There's empty threat after empty threat. "I'm gonna fucking kill you!" "Do it then bitch mutherfucka. You won't." "You think I won't fucking kill you cause I fucking will you stupid little fucking bitch." "Do it mutherfucker" "Oh wait, I forgot I can't because I have to fill an hour and a half runtime, but I'll point a fucking gun at your head 417 fucking times. Maybe that'll work." And that's how the movie goes.

This is the worst Schumacher film ever. Yeah, it's worse then Batman & Robin in my opinion. When comparing the awfulness of those two side by side, it really doesn't even matter though. It's also the worst film either Cage(and he's been appearing in escalatingly awful films) or Kidman have been apart of.

Do yourself a favor and do not watch Trespass. It may look slick and stylish, but I guarantee you'll hate every second of this atrocious piece of shit. I'm trying to think of movies that were worse than this, that I've seen. Not many movies come to mind. It's down there with movies like Phantoms and Batman & Robin. Few movies can be this bad, but Schumacher knows how to make them.
April 28, 2012
A very average thriller that's been done much better so many times before. Pity with Cage & Kidman this went straight to DVD. It Just lacks any real sense of dread, tension and unravels far to quickly. Similar to Hostage and Trapped but they are more enjoyable.
LWOODS04
½ January 12, 2011
Cast: Nicolas Cage, Nicole Kidman, Ben Mendelsohn, Liana Liberato, Cam Gigandet, Jordana Spiro, Dash Mihok, Emily Meade, Nico Tortorella, Zurab Matcharashvili

Director: Joel Schumacher

Summary: A husband and wife find themselves pushed to their absolute limit when they're held for ransom by brutal thugs who invade their home. As tensions escalate and shocking revelations emerge, the couple is forced to take ever-more desperate measures.

My Thoughts: "Nicolas Cage and Nicole Kidman just seem to be a bad fit as a couple. Not believable. More strange and awkward. Felt forced. The story is a bit of a mess and so is the acting.There is too much back and forth. It gets to a point where your just like, "kill whoever already and let this movie be done with". It drags on way longer then necessary. Seems like they just through a story together and made a movie just to make one. In the end they made a mess and a movie that is worth skipping even if it has big shots like Kidman and Cage attached to it."
November 23, 2011
Nicolas Cage's latest disgrace of a film is a rehash of the cliches that plague the home invasion movie. This movie totally bombed at TIFF - fortunately, I already assumed the worst and avoided it then, but now that it's available for rent, hell what's $5? I guess I knew better at TIFF.
So, the movie starts by introducing Kyle (Cage) as a diamond dealer who is always too busy to spend time with his wife Sarah (Kidman) and daughter Avery (Liana Liberato). Avery is the typical rebellious but "not-stuck-up-so-we-like-her" rich kid, while Sarah is the disgruntled wife who feels Kyle isn't spending enough time with her. Like all home invasion movies, the film starts with the family at a disconnect; nothing like a robbery to bring them together.
Enter the worst pack of criminals to grace the screen all year. All they do is scream and yell and threaten to kill Kyle and his family, but it soon becomes obvious that they're only talk. This script has no intention of really putting the family in danger. Everything will work out just like they do in the generic formula of this ilk.
Among all this, Joel Schumacher can't muster up a decent thrill. He lets everyone in the movie overact, including Nicole Kidman. Everyone just screams and shouts, screams and shouts, hollers death threats at the other; you can literally leave the room for about half the movie and not miss a thing. The only one who doesn't embarrass herself is Liana Liberato, who manages to become the only sympathetic character.
I don't think I'm doing justice to just how bad this movie is. Okay, let me try again. 1. Nicolas Cage stars. 2. It's from the director of Batman and Robin, and The Number 23. 3. It's Panic Room minus the fun, and unlike The Strangers, Funny Games, or Vacancy, you never once feel like these characters are in a situation they can't get out of unscathed.
MANUGINO
November 21, 2011
When terror is at your door, you can run, or you can fight.

Good movie. Average plot and story. It's a nice normal popcorn movie to rent and watch in your house.

Kyle and Sarah Miller have it all: a huge gated house on the water, fancy cars, and the potential for romance in their relationship. He's just back from a business trip (he brokers diamonds) and their teen daughter Avery is sneaking out to a party, when four thugs in security uniforms and ski masks stage a home invasion. They want what's in the safe: cash and diamonds. Kyle stalls them, trying to negotiate for Sarah's freedom. Over the next few hours, the back stories of the four robbers (two brothers, a girlfriend, and the representative of a local drug kingpin) as well as the fault lines in Kyle and Susan's marriage come into play. Is there room here for heroism?
skactopus
November 10, 2011
Joel Schumacher's Trespass holds no surprises, thus leading to a less than stellar crime thriller.Ordinary, common, and habitual come to mind when it comes to the plot, but the potential for an entertaining 85 minute picture still exists. Where this film fails is the initial setup for what is to come and it becomes a bit of a shock that this film goes on for as long as it does; mostly because the antagonists have more back story than the so-called heroes.A brutal and thrilling movie this is not, and while things get violent and bloody from time to time, the R rating is because of the language. Moving on.There isn't much to talk about when it comes to Nicolas Cage or Nicole Kidman. There is some overacting on their part, but in the end both are overshadowed by the likes of Ben Mendelsohn, Cam Gigandet, Dash Mihok, and Jordana Spiro, who has quite the character.All in all, what little Trespass has to offer isn't enough to make this a recommendation.
October 19, 2011
When terror is at your door, you can run, or you can fight.

Quite a thrill

When you have such an amazing cast you would expect more from the movie, however it isn't a bad movie, it can keep you engaged the entire 1 hour and 25 minutes.

Kyle Millerm (cage) is a rich men who one day is assaulted in his own home and kept hostage along side his wife Sarah (Kidman). As the crime begins to unfold questions arise about who is Kyle Miller, and Sarah, and what about the robbers?

Overall its quite fun, a very thrilling movie, kind of scary actually, but a little disappointing mainly because if you have Cage and Kidman in one movie, it has to be huge.
Kyle Miller: "You let my wife leave and then I'll give you what you want!"
August 29, 2011
test, test
themoviewaffler.com
March 18, 2012
Crazy Nic Cage is back in this humdrum home invasion thriller.

It's got to the point where distributors just don't seem to know what to do with Cage anymore. This was sneaked out straight to DVD in Europe almost a year after a very limited US release. On the other hand the awful "Justice" was released here last year but is only now getting a US release under the new title "Seeking Justice". Presumably the name change is designed to distance it from the awful reviews it received under the original title.
We've seen this sort of thing countless times from "Key Largo" to last year's "Mother's Boys". Cage is a diamond dealer who lives in a mansion with an enormous safe. Thinking said safe is filled with loot, a bunch of nasty types take him and Kidman hostage, along with their precocious daughter who seems to be the only intelligent character involved. We get lots of guns pointed at heads and an assortment of knives and syringes hidden behind backs.
The reason Mendelsohn needs the money is to pay off drug dealers so he and his drug-addled stripper girlfriend can make a clean start in Mexico. That's the level of characterization we're dealing with here.
This is one of Cage's more restrained performances but only because he spends most of it lying on the floor. We do get one crazy speech were he gives the thieves an impromptu lesson in the diamond trade. Kidman just looks embarassed throughout.
Schumacher is sinking deeper into bottom shelf obscurity with each new project. I doubt he'll ever hit the highs of "Falling Down" again.
January 27, 2012
Director Joel Schumacher comes through with another smart and intriguing drama in Trespass. When a home invasion goes wrong both the hostages and robbers find themselves in a web of lies and deceit that pits all sides against each other and no one to trust. Nicolas Cage and Nicole Kidman give weak, but adequate, performances, and the story take a while to get moving. Yet, once the pacing picks up both the story and the mystery become quite engrossing. Trespass is an entertaining film with a gripping mystery, but it has some problems with the execution.
September 27, 2011
Has Nicholas Cage ever made a bad movie? Granted that some haven't been as good as Trespass, but when you see Nicholas Cage's name, you know you're always going to be entertained. Teaming up with famed Director Joel Schumacher and the always intense Nicole Kidman, Cage stars in a type of film we've all seen before. Trespass has a common storyline, but it's done in an unexpected way, with an ending that will leave you speechless. Kyle Miller (Nicholas Cage) is a wealthy diamond merchant, who has finally built the mansion he's always wanted. It has also made him a target for a sophisticated team of thieves, who want their share. Surprised at home one night, the Miller family is held hostage. Positive that if he gives them what he wants his family is dead, Kyle refuses their demands, leading to an epic standoff. Nicholas Cage shows a different side in Trespass, as he's not the cunning hero that saves the day, but rather a family man, trying to protect his family. He's paired with Nicole Kidman, who while being a terrific actress, usually makes films I have no interest in seeing. An action thriller is also something out of the norm for her, but she handled it like a pro and her chemistry with Nicholas Cage was outstanding! Finally, the cast is rounded out by OC star and teen heartthrob Cam Gigandet. I've made it clear that I feel a lot of these "heartthrobs" only get jobs because of their looks, and if that's the rule, Gigandet is the exception. Playing both sides in the conflict, the young star does an outstanding job. Gigandet's character is easily the most complex, having to play the good and the bad guy. It's his role and the twist associated with it that makes the whole film rise above similar films like Panic Room. On the surface Trespass is just another copycat, but the story turns out to be far more complex than a home invasion. A unique cast of characters with terrific chemistry, combined with one of my favorite Directors, make for what can only be called a must see movie!
May 3, 2012
I really wanted to like this movie but 1.) It was full of F-bombs. I could have still liked it despite that but 2.) There are WAY TOO MANY times someone almost died and probably should have but didn't. 3.) There are too many stupid heavy-handed flashbacks that repeat themselves. We get the point. Get back to the action now. 4.) The husband Kyle (Nicolas Cage) doesn't seem to care if he dies and I wanted a hero who actually wants to live for his family. 5.) The family kept throwing themselves dramatically all over each other. I think in reality, it might look a little different. Besides those points, the acting was really great. The storyline was done before though (and better too- think Firewall, Trapped, & Hostage) but it could have been better if there were a better script and perhaps some better directing. I researched the ratings beforehand but I always go in to a movie fresh with an open mind and give it a shot. I agree with everyone else here: "Sloppy and obvious..." "...a strange variety of entertainment that hooks you throughout and then leaves you nothing but glad that it's over."
½ April 27, 2012
I loved the way this movie flowed...Nicholas Cage (Kyle) is hardly the romantic kind because of the line of work he is involved in. His wife Nicole Kidman (Sarah) is thirsting for attention in subtle ways...Their teen daughter Liana Liberto (Avery) wants to go to the party with her teen peers which both of her parents have declined for her to attend...which she sneaks out for anyway. As the parents get ready for a night out on the town, some unsuspecting visitors make a rather rude and unwelcome visit...to the residence. What they want is what Kyle works heavily with...money. Will he surrender to their demands? Will the daughter come in on the rude unexpected guests? Will his wife be a victim of Kyle's growing impatience and resistance to what they have come for? Please see this nail biting epic! Very interesting conclusion for everyone!
Ryan M
December 10, 2011
* out of ****

I wonder if there's ever been a home-invasion movie which the home-invasion movies of the past existed; and the characters had watched those films, thus giving them knowledge when the big night (because most movies of this kind prefer the dark) begins. The characters - from heroes to villains - in Joel Schumacher's "Trespass" apparently haven't seen a home-invasion flick before; they do their best not to dodge each cliché as it comes their way, but to almost...embrace such things. The film concerns a married couple (Nicolas Cage and Nicole Kidman) who are at the point in marriage where neither side feels perfectly content; and this one particular night is about to change their lives for the better or for the worst.

The first indication which lead to my conclusion that these people have never seen "Funny Games" - "Panic Room" or maybe even "Home Alone" - was the fact that the husband is happy to let a police officer and those accompanying him through the gates that lead to his fancy house, and without even seeing their faces (only the uniform and badges manage to show up on the security monitor). In an instant, these men - who are indeed dressed like police officers - intimidate, humiliate, and threaten the couple. They seem to know a good deal about the people they assault; including that they have a daughter (Liana Liberato), who is out at a party for part of the night and is soon to return - and also that the husband must be quite wealthy, since he spends large amounts of money on diamonds and ultimately, his home.

Oh, this is such a tedious exercise. The attackers demand Cage's character open the safe that they keep somewhat hidden in their household; so that they can claim all the money for themselves. But why? The reasons are ever-changing, as Schumacher clearly wants us to think a lot about the situation and continue to re-assess certain things. Certain home-invasion thrillers can do that effectively and emerge victorious; this one does not.

What ruins it all is Schumacher's direction. There's absolutely no ambition there. The lighting is weak and at times terribly off, the casting is mediocre at best, and the stylistic choices have all been seen before. The filmmaker - who also made fun flicks such as "Phone Booth" and "The Lost Boys" - surrenders any of his signature traits and characteristics for a directorial style that, in the end, gives birth to a movie that is completely lacking of any sort of proper suspense or tension. There's an intended sense of danger, but we never feel ANY of it. It's all about who has the gun, the needle, or the blunt object.

So there remain no surprises. The film is a series of irrelevant, stupid plot twists and the style consistently tests our patience for the material. If you're like me and you've seen a good deal of home-invasion films before this one, you'll know how to tell the difference between a good one and a bad one; whilst "Trespass" simply falls into the latter category. You see: when a movie like this one - a thriller that's always trying to make a statement or a point - can't even disturb with realistic violence and create the intimidating atmosphere that is expected from it, you know you've got a boring, suspense-free ride ahead of you. When a film feels long even at 90 minutes, you've officially created a clunker. But then again, that's still a clunker in yet another year filled with them. "Trespass" is thankfully forgettable in just about every field.
November 12, 2011
Trespass has a promising set up for a decent thriller, with Nicholas Cage and Nicole Kidman, as well as a competent director, but the movie ultimately falls flat and fails to deliver on itsâ(TM) premise. The tension and suspense is virtually nonexistent, with no real surprises to be had. Itâ(TM)s all too familiar, yet noticeably subpar. The characters and their motivations are all sketchy and ill-defined, with a noticeable amount of overacting.
PantaOz
October 24, 2011
Trespass received mostly negative reviews but I'll have to say that the director Joel Schumacher managed to keep me glued to the screen until the end, mainly because of the Karl Gajdusek's screenplay full with unexpected twists and slow revelation of the events which led up to the final happenings where stars Nicolas Cage (as Kyle Miller) and Nicole Kidman (Sarah) were taken hostage by extortionists.

I cannot say that it is a movie which many people will remember next year but it is a decent work of art in which a cycle of betrayal and deception emerges in the pressured conditions taking the viewer in it. Trespass was described by some critics as nasty and aggressive, but for me was entertaining as well...

The film was limitedly released in the United States on October 14, 2011, but somehow made to China a week later. :-) I am glad for it!
½ September 22, 2013
All this movie does is run in circles, accept there's no curves, so I supposed its just pacing back and fourth.
Angel G.
½ August 2, 2012
Its very aggressive, sometimes really violent, but still entertaining. Sometimes Nicholas Cage went really high in entertaining, then went a little low, but its a better film than his other bad films, trust me, he has done worst (see the Wicker Man). Nicole Kidman was really good, sure had some "weak" moments, but gave an average-fierce mom performance. Even if it isn't a powerful movie, it still is a good thriller with very aggressive, but really great moments, so it was a fine film to watch, I enjoyed it.
October 6, 2011
Exactly what you'd expect and exactly what we have seen time and time again with these hostage-in-your-own-home situations. Unrealistic, time consuming, and the type of quality that is associated with horror remakes and straight-to-DVD productions, the fact that there are such big names behind this film makes it that much more disappointing.
ascordeiro108
½ August 24, 2011
A bit boring. The movie seems to be going on and on and on forever, it's always around the same topic.
I found myself not even caring for the fate of the family, they should have spent a bit of time building the relationship between the characters.
It also didn't help that Nicolas Cage and Nicole Kidman had 0 chemistry...
It had a good twist at the end, but it wasn't good enough to make up for the entire movie.

It's watchable, but slow paced.