• R, 1 hr. 47 min.
    In Theaters:
    Aug 13, 2008 Wide
    On DVD:
    Nov 18, 2008
  • DreamWorks/Paramount Studios

Critic Review - Variety

A smart-alecky sendup of Hollywood in general and action films in particular, Tropic Thunder undeniably provokes quite a few laughs, but of the most hollow kind.

July 28, 2008 Full Review Source: Variety | Comments (30)
Variety
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

MovieBuff318

Shay Hatten

At least you laughed, you mother screwing ****-licker. You should have rated it fresh! Go stick a knife up your vagina and **** OFF.

Jul 28 - 08:50 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

Grow Up!!!!

Jul 31 - 05:42 AM

Jerry Bruckheimer

First Last

Yeah, die, Todd, die! How dare you disagree with an internet movie geek who hasn't seen the movie and has never been laid??

Jul 29 - 08:18 AM

MovieBuff318

Shay Hatten

Shut the **** up you hairy dickweed. At least I don't pretend to be famous when I'm really just a douchebag who ****s my mother and lives in her basement.

Jul 29 - 04:39 PM

mdb47

Mason Burns

First off, the three previous posts... awesome.
But I have to agree with Jerry here... mainly because every other word from his isn't a swear... makes it more credible. I'm excited to see this movie and never pay much attention to critics. I suggest MovieBuff318 does the same

Jul 30 - 01:00 PM

homeimp

Rob Wills

I agree with every single word you said, MDB47. Especially "never pay much attention to critics". If only everybody felt this way.

Jul 30 - 02:06 PM

DGates

First Last

"I agree with every single word you said, MDB47. Especially "never pay much attention to critics". If only everybody felt this way".

And yet here you are on a website devoted to what critics say. Too funny!

Jul 31 - 02:12 AM

DivineCC

Bill Pyle

Owned.

Jul 31 - 03:05 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

You're oversimplifying. I tend to think this website is much more about users, the general movie going public, people who love movies. Often, loving movies also involves reading and talking about them, having the inside scoop, always being that guy in the group that knows what's coming out, when, why, and about. If you think this site is all about the critics and what they have to say, then you probably don't frequent here.

Of course, I can only speak for myself. The guys blowing arteries and popping veins over some critic whose taste differs from theirs, I'll leave it to them to tell you why they're here.

Aug 5 - 03:57 AM

mlambro

Matt Lambro

I absolutely love coming to these comment sections and reading these adolescent meltdowns. The degree of rage on display is both hilarious and a little frightening. I often wonder if the critics actually look at these sections and see how they seem to do emotional damage to these individuals posting.

Jul 30 - 02:08 PM

stupidfan

Kyle B

Go look at The Dark Knight, it's full of fanboys. Makes me laugh

Jul 31 - 02:09 AM

mlambro

Matt Lambro

"Go look at The Dark Knight, it's full of fanboys. Makes me laugh"

Comedy gold.

Apparently the main symptoms behind not liking the Dark Knight are being homosexual and/or a rectum.

Jul 31 - 08:53 AM

relox

will regan

if you dont pay much attention to the critics, then how did you find yourself here?

Aug 12 - 03:11 PM

Skekses

Missy Ellsworth

"..most hollow kind." ?

So basically what I'm getting is that this movie depends on your sense of humor. As long as I'm laughing, I'm going to enjoy this movie.

From what I've seen in the previews, I was cracking up so I have a feeling that I might ignore the critics on this one no matter what and just sit back and enjoy.

Jul 31 - 07:21 AM

zortman66

Bob Schwantz

dickbutt

Jul 31 - 07:21 AM

escobrown

Chris Brown

what do yiu mean by hollow?

isn't laughing at a comedy the ultimate goal?

Aug 1 - 08:10 AM

escobrown

Chris Brown

what do you mean by hollow?

isn't laughing at a comedy the ultimate goal?

Aug 1 - 08:16 AM

IrreducibleKoan

Sean Pak

Laughing is laughing. It's the same physical action each time. "Hollow?"

If it makes me laugh a lot, it will do its job.

Aug 1 - 11:22 AM

jshaffer85

Joshua Shaffer

**** Variety. **** Todd McCarthy. Nobody listnes to Variety anyway. Tood McCarthy is a sycophantic, freeloading ******* better suited to edit a high school paper, preferably one in bum****, Iowa.

Aug 1 - 03:39 PM

DGates

First Last

Shaff,

Who's that skank holding the bunny?

Aug 2 - 12:22 AM

SHAMEtheLAME

josh scott

That bunny looks like its about to vomit. Perhaps I would too if some sort of goblin was holding me. Her tan lines are hot though, lol.

Aug 2 - 10:57 AM

WesM

Wesley Masters

DGates I happen to think you're right in attacking Shaffer, but with all due respect, isn't it a little unwarranted to attack a completely innocent third party?

Aug 4 - 03:10 PM

DGates

First Last

You mean the bunny?

Aug 4 - 11:02 PM

WesM

Wesley Masters

lol DGates :D

Aug 10 - 12:12 PM

jshaffer85

Joshua Shaffer

An early screening of this movie of this movie proved it to be an hilarious, unconventional film- Robert Downy Jr's character is genius alone.

"Infantile, Yes. Retaded, No."

Aug 1 - 03:44 PM

DavidOTEast

David Fuzie

Todd didn't like it, but that doesn't make it a bad movie. Too many people getting raged over one person's opinion -- makes the critic's opinion seem more important than anybody else's.

Anyways, I will probably see this movie just because I'm curious about the Black/Stiller/Downey mixup. Should be fun.

Oh, and when I saw the movie trailer poster with Jack Black on it, I thought he was a chubby version of Duke Nukem.

Aug 5 - 08:12 AM

Zergling

Will Reznicek

god...

Aug 6 - 07:54 PM

Pulp_Fact

Jon Shutter

All the bashing just because he has a different opinion? How old are all you commentors?

Aug 13 - 11:02 AM

Pulp_Fact

Jon Shutter

I agree completely.

Aug 17 - 12:47 PM

spider123

michelle johnson

oh Todd.... you must be a very sad, neurotic man. Don't take yourself so seriously. Farts are always my friend. Always.

Aug 19 - 06:08 PM