• R, 1 hr. 47 min.

—— Unforgettable: Season 3

Tropic Thunder Reviews

John M

September 3, 2008
This is the normal Ben Stiller fare. Throw in Jack Black and this is what you get. Downey I liked as the black sgt who is australian but really into his role. Other than that it really did seem like another Stiller flick. Same ol same ol.
thmtsang
thmtsang

August 23, 2008
A group of jumped up actors are making a big-budget movie. The actors end up in the real jungle in Vietnam where they are kidnapped for ransom. Great cast. Tom Cruise steals the show with his dodgy dance moves and makeup. The ads before the movie are hilarious.
Albert K

September 29, 2010
Funny... but not as funny as some may say.
Sanjay R

April 24, 2011
A very unique movie with an unforgettable performance by Robert Downey Jr. The whole cast does a great job, but Downey's Oscar worthy performance elevates this movie to another level. The odd dialogue requires a sharp ear to follow, but is absolutely hilarious if you keep up.
Samuel Riley
Samuel Riley

July 4, 2012
Hysterical. This is easily one of the best words to describe this film. The first time I watch this, some of the opening adverts I actually believed to be real films. However, some jokes go too far, like with Simple Jack. The over the top violence is funny, but some parts feel unnecessary. With wacky yet superb performances from Robert Downey Jr. and *SPOILER REMOVED*, this is my most favoured Ben Stiller movie.
Eric A

August 6, 2012
Was skeptical going into watching this because I'm not the biggest Stiller fan, but I was really surprised how clever and good this movie was. Could have done without Jack Black though; like usual, he brings nothing to the table (just my opinion). Downey Jr was hilarious and easily my favorite, mix that along with the Tom Cruise cameos......you have a pretty funny movie here.
Eugene B

August 22, 2008
A colorful and obscene cast with obscene laughter and action. Stiller's Vietnam-War-based parody does push the envelope without bursting it. Providing a sleek script along with action/comedy and gaudy dialogue for a select audience. 4.5/5
Clintus M.
Clintus M.

July 12, 2012
Blissfully (whining the whole time) unaware of the danger they face, this diverse assemblage of talent stumbles their way through the jungle in this satiric tribute to 80s Vietnam films. It's a clever idea: the cast of a war movie accidentally become involved with real thugs, and hilarity ensues. All actor and production stereotypes are skewered here. It's a broad parody, like the Spinal Tap of war movies, at times too outrageous for its own good.

Ben Stiller's sense of humor is on full display, this time enhancing the concept. I like him in roles like this; Starsky and Hutch, Dodgeball, and Zoolander also come to mind. His put-upon everyman, e.g. Meet The Parents and maybe Along Came Polly are getting stale. Surprisingly great are the characters created by Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise. They're more unusual and memorable than I expected, and Nick Nolte is pretty good too. Cruise's ham-fisted tycoon is a real departure for him and uncanny, creepy realism. Others, like Jack Black and Danny McBride, just fill out the cast- but funny also.

I'll always remember, "What do you mean, you people?" and when Stiller goes "full retard." Never go full retard.
Phil H

August 24, 2008
So Ben Stiller wants to be in a Nam flick, OK sure, shame he missed the boat for that era, and this is why he made this film im guessing? why? well we all know the outfit of the average grunt in Nam films looks cool, the easy, laid back, dont give a shit style with ammo belts and guns hanging of everyone. Just check all the classic war flicks of the time...being in a Nam film was a cool thing and that's the only reason Stiller and co have made this because there's just no other reason for it.

Its poor, not funny and just pointless, the film looks good location wise but that's it, the cast is impressive but who cares, Stiller isn't funny, Downey is shit in all his personalities, McConaughey is his usual slimey, embarrassingly bad self and Tom Cruise is just terrible...simply awful. Black is the only person with some decent funny bits but we're only talking SMALL bits.

The plot is a total rip of the much funnier and classic 'The Three Amigo's', 'TT' doesn't even compare to Martin, Chase and Short, 'Amigo's' was cheaper and tacky yet its leagues better than this. You never have any real idea where Stiller and co are in the world, who the guerilla's in the jungle are and why, why a child leads them and frankly you dont really care, the film is made in such a way that it comes across as a serious action flick but then remembers its a comedy and throws in some stupid gag or just resorts to mindless swearing hoping that will suffice.

The ending is crap and isn't explained (someone just pops up and saves the day) and basically it isn't funny...ever. Tom Cruise cannot do comedy, even in silly makeup...embarrassing ain't the word.
Scott G

March 24, 2012
A genuine american hardcore film with the actors having no idea, which creates many good laughs, and jack black addicted to crack.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

October 28, 2011
Tropic Thunder is the rare action comedy in which you can sustain interest for about 2 hours. Robert Downey Jr. steals the show with his Oscar nominated performance as an actor playing another actor who's playing a black vietnam veteran. Tropic Thunder makes the most of its cast with each member of the platoon bringing laughs to the clever, witty plotline that's essentialy a satire on everything in Hollywood never breaking the illusion that what were watching is actors playing actors in a movie that is to be honest a very good one.
Drake T

June 14, 2011
Too disgustingly hilarious to hate, too shallow to take seriously and too entertaining to critique. Just fun.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 28, 2011
Tropic thunder dishes out laugh one by one and it keeps us laughing the whole time. I have heard of few movies as origianl as this, espically a comedy. It has a certain charm with the actors and jokes that maes us want more, and to see these guys again. It has a great setting, it disses the real life starts of there own characters, and it makes fun of the movie industry itself. Such a weird situation can only be fit by a hilarious movie.
Conner R

January 7, 2010
I might have my reservations with this, but certain elements make this movie a bonafide classic. I think this really could have been the end all, say all of hollywood reflection if Tom Cruise was the Tugg Speedman character because then all the stars would have been self parodies. Now that isn't to say that Tom Cruise doesn't give a tour de force as Les Grossman, it just would've been better had maybe Ben Stiller taken on that role. Throwing Ben Stiller in the Tugg Speedman role is amusing, but it doesn't have the impact it should. What makes Jack Black's performance as Jeff Portnoy so great is the fact that he's done things like this in his career. I think in terms of cinematography and set choices, Tropic Thunder is one of the most well shot and best looking comedies ever made. It really is beautiful. Ben Stiller is a lot better director than most people give him credit for and he even has this really nice signature style. Now the main reason this movie has as high regard for me as it does is for one man, one performance, one stroke of genius. Robert Downey Jr.'s flat out bizarre take on the 70's "black man" is probably one of the funniest things ever thought up. Whether it's a Black Panther get-up, crazy power burns or blatantly stereotyped "black voice", everything seems as though it is natural and amazing in every way. Actually, by the end when Kirk Lazarus comes back, the role becomes even more deeply defined and kind've a really important analysis of the method actor. A role like this is something that should be remembered forever.
Matt G

January 22, 2011
So funny. An instant classic.

Grade: A-
Dan S

August 15, 2008
A very solid comedy which takes skilled jabs at the Hollywood industry. It's a better version of "Bowfinger", when it comes to movies making fun of how movies are made, pretty much. Throw in a masterful turn from one Robert Downey Jr. and good direction by Ben Stiller - this thing is just fun. It occasionally gets a little too silly and Jack Black is sort of wasted but overall, I laughed consistently, especially at the beginning of the movie which has hilarious takes on movie trailers.
Fernando Rafael Q

September 4, 2008
The usual Stiller elements are present (stupidity, most of all), but luckily, genuine comedy prevails in Tropic Thunder. Ben Stiller has grown into a better director, and even a decent actor. Not common in big-budget comedies, the film has some stunning visuals. The list of players is great: Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Nick Nolte, Steve Coogan, Jay Baruchel, Danny McBride, Brandon T. Jackson, Bill Hader and Matthew McConaughey, all of which make for a solid ensemble cast. The movie certainly belongs to 2 guys you never thought you'd see in a movie like this: Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise. Both give amazing performances worthy of award recognition (yes, they're that good). The stupid dance at the end was too much, though.
Sophie B

November 27, 2010
A fairly funny film. A lot of the "funny bits" aren't actually funny but Robert Downey Jr and Tom Cruise made the movie. Hilarius.
Carlos M

October 11, 2010
Besides the hilarious first scene and a few other ones that also work very well, there is little else in this film other than stupid, offensive jokes mixed with a lot of tiresome big action scenes - which seem to be there only to entertain those unable to understand the obvious satire.