Critics Consensus: Trouble with the Curve Is Solid But Predictable

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got an aging baseball scout (Trouble with the Curve, starring Clint Eastwood and Amy Adams); a deadly judge (Dredd 3D, starring Karl Urban and Olivia Thirby); cartel-busting cops (End of Watch, starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena); a religious leader (The Master, starring Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman); and a creepy dwelling (House at the End of the Street, starring Jennifer Lawrence and Elisabeth Shue). Plus, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, starring Logan Lerman and Emma Watson in a coming-of-age drama about an awkward teenager coming out of his shell, is in limited release. Back to Article

Comments

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Unfortunately, a lot of people opened their wallets for "Devil Inside". It was a #1 hit.

Sep 20 - 10:04 PM

Daniel Irwin

That is because the younger horror fans and tweens are picky and naive.

Sep 21 - 05:14 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Oh. I must have been confused about the definition of "people".

Sep 21 - 06:33 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

The possession was a pile a crap as well but made bank. The strange thing is that Appirition (spelling? don't care to look it up) had a twilight and a potter star AND was a bad horror film and made nothing. It's weired.

Sep 21 - 07:38 AM

Janson Jinnistan

100% HATE! I can't feel sorry for it.

Sep 20 - 10:15 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Clint Eastwood seems to be on a sort of losing streak as of late. 3 rotten films in a row (2 he directed, one he starred in)? Maybe he can turn things around with A Star Is Born, though given how many times that film has been done before my hopes aren't too high.

Judge Dredd at 80%? Wow, this definately has been a great year for superhero and comic book movies. Chronicle, Avengers, The Amazing Spiderman, The Dark Knight Rises, and now Judge Dredd.

I'm actually interested in seeing Perks of Being A Wallflower just to see how Emma Watson can perform when she isn't playing Hermione Granger. It's nice to see her being careful about chosing her roles post-Harry Potter though and not simply starring in any project that seems to come her way (cough....Lautner....cough)

Sep 21 - 12:57 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Even the pickiest actors will occasionally star in a bad film. I don't think choosing good films to star in is as easy as people on the internet make it out to be. There's a lot that can go wrong during production and turn potentially interesting projects into duds. I mean look at Lovely Bones. Before release everyone was predicting oscar wins for that film. An adaptation of a best selling book from the director of what many consider the greatest trilogy of all time starring one of the most talented up and coming actresses? What could possibly go wrong?

Sep 21 - 01:03 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Oh, and I'm go with 19% for house at the end of the street. While all the early reviews so far are negative they're not as agrresively so as The Possesion, so I think the film's rating will rise a little when more critics release their reviews.

Sep 21 - 01:08 AM

Daniel Irwin

In all honesty, "The Possession" currently stands at 38% right now. And that's aggressive?? HATES just earned more aggressive reviews (hence the 10% right now), and with that said, it won't even match the former's score.

Sep 21 - 05:43 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Oh sorry, I meant the Apparation. Horror films have been looking so bland lately that I keep mixing them up.

Sep 21 - 11:31 AM

Daniel Irwin

Yeah. This genre has seen better days (i.e. "Cabin in the Woods", "Drag Me to Hell").

Sep 21 - 01:24 PM

Zaenal Abidin

Zaenal Abidin

27% for HATES.

Sep 21 - 02:24 AM

Daniel Irwin

That is because the younger horror fans and tweens are picky and naive.

Sep 21 - 05:14 AM

Daniel Irwin

Quite a shame. I was getting excited. How much do you think "Dredd" will make?

Sep 21 - 05:28 AM

Sep 21 - 05:43 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Sep 21 - 11:31 AM

Sep 21 - 01:24 PM

Daniel Irwin

Only problem is that the box office won't be on Oogielove level.

Sep 21 - 05:57 AM

Daniel Irwin

Very, very true. I myself have to admit I do like Jennifer Lawrence and The Hunger Games.

Sep 21 - 06:28 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Oh. I must have been confused about the definition of "people".

Sep 21 - 06:33 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

I wonder if Clint's abysmal performance alongside the chair at the RNC swayed some critics to vote negatively.

Sep 21 - 06:37 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Critics are shallow, so I can't say you're wrong. To be fair, they've been hard on his last couple of films. I'm in the middle. I don't understand why some of his films are overrated out of proportion (Million Dollar Baby, Gran Torino) while others are unfairly dismissed (Invictus, Hereafter, J Edgar) when, as I see it, they are all flawed but fascinating movies that put the late career work of directors 20 years younger to shame. I think it says something that he chose to let his longtime co-producer handle the reigns on this one.

Sep 21 - 06:51 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Invictus actually has a very similair tomatometer rating to Gran Torino.

Regarding Eastwood's directorial debuts in the last decade or so, I've found that he tends to do much better when he's tackling more simple plots. At their heart Gran Torino and Million Dollar Baby were pretty simple stories (cultural clash and coming of age, underdog rising against all odds) that were turned great due to execution and strong performances whereas his more ambitous projects (Hereafter, J Edgar) fall flat. Heck, even with Million Dollar Baby the only time I felt it faltered was when it tried to go for a more ambitous ending than the usual sports drama (not only was the moral very questionable but it dragged on way too long).

Sep 21 - 11:54 AM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

I just find his style to be very bland. Did anyone see "Absolute Power"? It's suppose to be a thriller/political drama but I can only equate it to an Ambien. His style, IMO, has not improved. Now, I do think he musters great performances out of actors and himself.

Sep 21 - 01:23 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Absolutely more powerful than Ambien! Total snoozer.

Sep 21 - 01:37 PM

Sep 21 - 06:51 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Invictus actually has a very similair tomatometer rating to Gran Torino.

Sep 21 - 11:54 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Sep 21 - 07:38 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

The curve just looks like a bad movie. I hate sentimental rubbish with sports analogy. Ugh, I can all ready hear the back and fourth between Clint, Amy, and Timberlake. "You deserved a home run, not a line drive" "BUT you Never stuck out on me Dad!" "I'd catch anything you pitch at me Sir" "I was just a sacrificial fly on the diamond of life" "don't leave me in the outfield dad!" "Hot Dogs, Get your Hot Dogs here!"

Sep 21 - 07:41 AM

Janson Jinnistan

That's obvious right in the commercial, where the daughter makes Daddy proud by hitting a "home" run. Ala "I'm running home!"

Sep 21 - 08:10 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

AGH IT BURNS!

Sep 21 - 11:48 AM

Sep 21 - 08:10 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

AGH IT BURNS!

Sep 21 - 11:48 AM

Apex Predator

Brian Clarkson

House at the End of the Street gets 26 percent. At the end of the day, it will battle End of Watch for third. I think Dredd 3D will surprise people, sneaking out number one from Curve.

Sep 21 - 08:50 AM

Daniel Irwin

Expect "HATES" to score a C or lower on CinemaScore (I am predicting an F), while the rest get A's or B's.

Sep 21 - 01:43 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Sep 21 - 11:31 AM

Sep 21 - 01:24 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

I think Rotten Tomatoes came up with their consensus on Dredd far too early in the game. It was written up when the movie was in the 90s. It has now dropped to 77 percent, and neither the consensus blurb nor the writeup above take into account the growing number of negative reviews. If I didn't know better, I would have thought that Warner Bros. released it.

Sep 21 - 11:40 AM

Dave J

Dave J

While I agree, it's still a certified fresh. RT should thank their lucky stars that it didn't drop dramatically to 59% otherwise they'd look pretty foolish! I think that's what happened to "Safe"- that it was a fresh and then tumbled below 59 % but I feel that the percentages of films in general regulary changes anyway meaing timing is everything!

Sep 21 - 12:15 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup