• PG, 1 hr. 43 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Truman Show Reviews

John M

June 29, 2008
One of the few times i could stand Jim Carrey. This movie was much better than i expected considering my dislike for Carrey
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 14, 2013
Christof: We accept the reality of the world with which we are presented.

"On the air. Unaware."

The Truman Show may have one of the most genius premises ever for a film. There's, especially today, always this fear of being watched. With all the paranoia about our phone calls and texts being sold to the government and with cameras everywhere and anywhere, it's a common part of our everyday. So with The Truman Show, we view a protagonist whose whole existence is a tv show. He's been on the air for thirty years, since his birth and he doesn't even know it.†

Truman is a married, insurance agent. That's his "character" in the tv show, The Truman Show, that he stars as. The show was created by Christof, and everyone in the town he lives in is in on it. They are all actors. Truman is beginning to suspect all this and just wants to find the girl who he really wants to be with. But the show controls his life without his even knowing it.†

This film is pretty much flawless. It's well thought out and just keeps getting better as it goes on, while many movies with great premises like this run out of steam near the end. The Truman Show is a perfect example, that great writing is what makes a movie great. Sure Peter Weir is legendary director and his work here is among his best, but what makes this movie so good, is definitely the screenplay. Also you gotta love Jim Carey in movies like this. This is where he thrives.

So if you haven't seen The Truman Show, it is a must watch. It's nonstop fun, intelligent entertainment. The story has good ideas present at every turning point, and just when you think the movie has reached as good of quality as it can, it introduces something else that makes it even better. This is a masterpiece and it would be a shame to miss a film like this one.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

December 20, 2006
This is the new way of comedy movie should be and I must say that I'm impressed with the idea of this movie about making someone's life is a 24-hour nonstop TV show is a brilliant idea.. Andrew Niccol wrote a great screenplay while Peter Weir makes the movie wrapped amazingly.. And the cast did quite impressive even the credits should all go to Jim Carrey with probably this movie is one of his best performance.. All I can say is I like this movie and I'm happy how the story works..
KJ P

September 25, 2010
One of the most original ideas I have ever seen on screen. As Truman, a man with the perfect life that he never wanted, is being followed by thousands of cameras an being broadcasted worldwide n a 24 hour reality television show, he starts to realize that everything in his life just may be a little too perfect. By the end of this film I began to tear up at how beautiful and unique this film truly is. Jim Carrey is absolutely brilliant, as is everyone else. The script is great and the style is superb. There is never a dull moment in "The Truman Show" and I didn't want it to end. I absolutely love this movie!
Adriel L

May 5, 2012
It's a bleak movie, yeah, in the sense your realize the follies of modern society, yes, but it deserves praise bringing into light the realities of our folly existence as a human society, it is funny, it is thoughtful, it is sad, and it is a great film that might just change the way you look at what life is, especially at our present age.
Albert K

September 25, 2010
Although this movie has a message that goes against my beliefs, "The Truman Show" is a provocative, well-made, and thought-provoking film. Everything is meticulously put together. Still gonna hafta go against the message, but as a movie, it's phenomenal.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

September 20, 2011
There's nothing quite like The Truman Show. Its a comedy drama that provides terror as well as undeniable tension, with a sort of Spielberg set up and neither distract you from the fact the plot is ridiculous, simple but absolutely genius. Arguably Jim's best dramatic role.
Alexander D

June 28, 2011
I wouldn‚(TM)t say Jim Carrey is a great actor, and I wouldn‚(TM)t say I‚(TM)m all too fond of him, either. He is a comedian that has his upsides (i.e. DUMB AND DUMBER, BRUCE ALMIGHTY) as well as his downsides (i.e. HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS, LIAR LIAR). It was odd but rather pleasing to see him performing in THE TRUMAN SHOW, as we would never expect such a light-spirited comedian to play a role in such a heavy-headed drama. (Not that this wasn‚(TM)t somewhat satirical.) It‚(TM)s not just the lack of hyperactivity we get a perspective of from Carrey; we get to see a suddenly amazing actor rather than a total goof-off.

Peter Weir was the best part of this film, for me. I thoroughly enjoyed his earlier films such as DEAD POETS SOCIETY and WITNESS, and I absolutely loved MASTER AND COMMANDER from more recently. This, I would have to say, is the best I‚(TM)ve seen of him yet. His creative blend of a stunning plot, voyeuristic views, a calming soundtrack of piano pieces (most notably Mozart‚(TM)s ‚Rondo Alla Turca‚?), and the most insanely unpredictable plot twists (should I italicize the words ‚insanely unpredictable‚??), make for a phenomenal motion picture. Furthermore, it‚(TM)s hard not to believe as a soap opera television series.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

December 21, 2011
The Truman Show is a very different film from what Jim Carrey usually does. This is a very good film, and is one of the best performances by Jim Carrey. The Truman Show is different, and it's one of the many things that make this film good. The Truman Show is a comedy drama film about a man who's unaware that his life is being broadcast to an audience. Peter Weir does a great job at helming the film, and he delivers a great film. What makes the film stand out is Jim Carrey and he really lights up the screen with his performance. He was perfect in the role. I don't think I can picture someone else in the role, as he really made it his own. The Truman Show is a great blend of comedy and drama, and it combines both elements well enough to not overdo it. The cast alongside Carrey are good, especially Ed Harris. The Truman Show is a flawed film, but for what it is, it's a good, entertaining film. The film shows that Carrey could do something other than straight forward comedies. An underrated film that should be seen. Peter Weir has made better films, but The Truman Show is still a worthwhile film to watch and it might strike a chord with you. Like I said, a flawed film, but worth seeing nonetheless. A refreshing performance by Jim Carrey, and actually one of my favorite performances by the actor. Heartwarming, charming, sad, funny, The Truman Show is all those things and more. Despite its flaws, it's a must see film.
Jens S

June 12, 2006
Peter Weir's instant classic about a man living his life in front of TV cameras (unbeknownst to him) includes nothing less than Jim Carrey's strongest performance to date. While he manages to squeeze some of his typical humor into the rather serious film, he's also outstanding in the quiet, subtle scenes. That goes for all of the cast. As Truman slowly gets an idea that things in his small sea town life aren't exactly as they seem, it takes almost an hour until the audience gets a glimpse behind the curtain. Even the opening titles pretend that you are watching The Truman Show, not the film. The scene in which Truman stops traffic and breaks through his routine, accompanied by Phillip Glass' beautiful soundtrack is one of the great magic moments of movie history. A funny, sweet and sad tale about media control and fulfilling your dreams. Never getting preachy the film easily touches its audience and is an unforgettable experience.
Scott G

October 29, 2011
Jim's perky, well known character with a hint of depression only means an extraordinary performance from Mr. Carrey himself.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
A brilliant story, plot, cast, style, etc... Jim Carrey is perfect in this movie, and it lets you see he can do more than stupid comedies. This movie really makes you think while you laugh. I highly recommend it.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

August 15, 2011
The Truman Show is a classic movie and isone of my all time favorites. The plot is the bets part, it has so many deep meaning and truths about life, and is so great I can't explain it. Jim Carrey is perfect, proving hje is one of the best comedy drama actors there is. The production is incredible, its like we are following Truman in a actual giant TV show the whole time, and we want him to discover it. One of the greatest films of all time.
michael e.
michael e.

July 11, 2011
It moves very slowly, and is extremely strange, but Carrey does a fantastic job as the main protagonist in a world that is all for him.
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 3, 2010
A truly fantastic film, a one of a kind masterpiece.

The Truman Show is smart, unique, touching, and completely ahead of it's time. The filming style and the different camera angles really set the film apart and give it an authentic "reality T.V." feel, even though reality television wasn't that big at that time. Director Peter Weir really did a great job with this one!

The screenplay was very excellent! It gives the film a higher level of charm and individuality. The film's story is in the "comedy drama" genre, so the script easily could have been a mess. But The Truman Show was brilliantly written and is able to deliver smart, sweet, humorous moments, but also deliver thought provoking commentary.

In fact, I think that's one of the best attributes of the film. It is deep...deeper than alot of people realize. I think it delivers powerful commentary that is worthy of a serious viewing...

The performances were good all across the board. Jim Carrey gives a fantastic performance as the main character, Truman Burbank. He's such a talented comedian, but he is also a worthy dramatic performer. He's able to do both here, so it's an even more well-rounded performance. Laura Linney also does a great job, she's one of my favorite actresses and I thoroughly enjoyed her performance. Ed Harris gives a phenomenal performance as the creator of the show, Christof. He recieved much praise for his performance, including an Oscar nomination, but I still feel this performance slipped under the radar. Truly, a wonderful performance.

The Truman Show: A brilliant, brilliant film! Smart, fresh, funny, tragic, thought-provoking...excellent! Nominated for 3 Academy Awards including Best Director, Best Screenplay, and Best Supporting Actor, everyone needs to see this movie. One of my all time favorites!
Fernando Rafael Q

November 2, 2006
Stunning blend of sci-fi, drama and dark comedy depicts the ultimate reality show: the life of unwitting TV star, Truman Burbank, surprisingly played with restraint by Jim Carrey (who should stick to dramatic roles, in my opinion). With expert camerawork by director Peter Weir as well as Andrew Niccol's deft screenplay, The Truman Show is a masterpiece. I've been reading a lot of praise for Ed Harris's performance, but it just didn't resonate with me as much as Carrey or Laura Linney's. Instant favorite.
Kristijonas F

May 7, 2011
Although it's a tad too bitter-sweet to make for straight comedy fare, The Truman Show is otherwise a superbly written, creative and heart-warming story. The message it presents about our society's addiction of "reality-television" and other matters of privacy invasion, however, is the true gem in this film, and also remarkably resonant over a decade later.
paul o.
paul o.

December 29, 2010
The Truman Show was a film worth watching even though i wished they couldve added another 30 minutes. For me, I thought the whole movie went by so quickly before i noticed it had to make a conclusion. Andrew Niccoi wrote this after Gattaca and I am just impressed by the diversity he puts in each of his scripts. Jim Carrey isn't that spontaneous Ace Ventura and also not that loving Joel Barish(Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind). Instead he plays Truman Burbank, the biggest star within his false reality.
Jay H

July 30, 2010
Very captivating, but it feels incomplete for some reason. Well-acted all around, with subtle comedic moments that will reward you for paying attention.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
This is one of those films that's really struck a chord with me ever since I first saw it. I liked it a lot then, but over time, it's really hit harder, what with "reality' TV becoming even more pervasive since this came out. Peter Weir, working with a script from the briliant and intelligent Andrew Niccol, delivers an intelligent and thought provoking dramedy about the consequences of media manipulation, and the effect it has on those who don't know (at first) what's been happening to them their whole lives.

Jim Carrey, mainly known as a funny fan turned in a more serious role here, during a time when he began to dabble with something other than just pure comedy. He's great. He gives a sensitive and moving performance as a poor schmuck whose whole life has been a TV show without him ever knowing. Ed Harris is brilliant as the mastermind behind it all, and I really like Laura Linney and Natascha McElhone in their respective roles as players in on the charade.

This is not a horror film or thriller, but God knows it certainly could be. While the movie is all cheery and mostly light-hearted, there are shades of a really dark underbelly. Despite how the scenario is played, this is really a pretty scary concept.

As I recall, this was fairly well recieved by critics and audiences (especially critics), but I feel that it is really beginning to get the true appreciation it deserves given what I had previously mentioned about all that has taken place since this was first released. I don't want a situation like this to happen in real life, but I fear that it's probably an inevitability. The line between entertainment and intrusion needs to be drawn, and, while this film isn't super preachy, it works very well as a cautionary tale.