• R, 1 hr. 28 min.

100% Veep: Season 3

Tucker & Dale vs Evil Reviews

Kase V

September 5, 2013
With originality to spare and two hillbillies that are actually likeable, the movie is enjoyable in theory but it's one joke plot gets old.
Jens S

September 22, 2011
A very refreshing take on the old premise of kids getting into hick country and murdered one after another. As misunderstandings add up two kind-hearted hillbillies are mistaken for psycho murders and have to fight for their lives against bratty, unlikable college kids. That's gory, funny and tongue in cheek, fully aware of its own silliness. Very entertaining and bursting stereotypes with every step.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

April 12, 2013
Tucker & Dale Vs Evil is one of the most accomplished horror comedies that I have seen in quite some time. With a very good cast, director Eli Craig crafts something original and very different. What I loved about the film was the story, two rednecks get terrorized by annoying teenagers due to the fact that the teens think that Tucker & Dale seem creepy, but in reality they are just two rednecks going on vacation. What is hilarious about the film is that when Tucker & Dale try to clear up the misunderstanding about them being "Psycho" all hell breaks loose and accidents happen and the body count goes up. The gore effects are well done and are there is plenty of blood here to appeal to gore fans. The script is layered with effective comedy and horror, and there's plenty of memorable throughout the film. This is a very entertaining movie that is better than most horror films that is currently being released. While the film at times could have been better, the idea behind the film makes it a film that is worthy to see if you love horror comedies. The acting is quite good, and the script is well written with a few flaws. With a fine mix of two genres, director Eli Craig has made a rewarding film that will certainly delight horror fans new and old. Be prepared for something quite different. You will definitely laugh and some the scenes here. There is plenty to enjoy with Tucker & Dale VS Evil, and I happy to see that there is always at least one director out there wanting to create something truly worth seeing. This is a worthwhile addition to the horror genre, and it is a good time from the first frame onwards. The film may be imperfect, but it definitely is a fine movie that will offer you something totally refreshing in terms of a good story.
Matthew S

March 9, 2013
How did this happen? I can't believe I'm saying this, but if you want to have a nice, relaxing time, watch this gruesome horror movie.
Julie B

September 2, 2011
This was way more sweetly charming than it had any right to be.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 17, 2012
Its a funny dark comedy thats entertaining, average and predictable but certainly has entertainment value!
Dean !

September 10, 2011
A fairly decent and gory horror comedy. It's a bit of a one joke film for the main theme but is quite funny for those who like slasher films. Worth a peek.
Mark W

July 27, 2012
Sometimes a film comes along that although completely preposterous and silly, it still possesses a certain charm. I grew up watching the likes of Bill & Ted and to this day, find them quite appealing. This first feature film from director Eli Craig isn't far from that same brand of idiotic humour.
Tucker (Alan Tudyk) and Dale (Tyler Labine) are two gentle and likeable hillbillies who have purchased their own "fixer-upper" holiday home in West Virginia. With the beer and fishing gear packed they head there to relax and enjoy their new surroundings. On the way though, they encounter a group of spoiled college kids who judge Tucker and Dale on their rough exteriors. What ensues after that becomes bloody and messy and it's not at the hands of the likeable duo.
On occasion, while commenting on films, you can find yourself being overly critical because it's not normally the type of material that you're interested in. When doing this, it can often be overlooked how well the film is actually structured or shot. I tried to be aware of this when I sat down to Tucker and Dale. Despite being a fan of Bill & Ted, I now think of myself a little too old to enjoy similar types of films anymore. Any that I do still enjoy, I put down to nostalgia. Of course, this is complete nonsense and now and again I should let myself loose a little and drop the critical barriers, so to speak. Well, in some ways, I did with this. I can obviously see it's ridiculous premise and nature but there's no denying that it's actually rather fun and deserves recognition for putting a fresh spin on the usual horror conventions - the hillbillies are good, being hunted by bad college students. It's a very appealing horror parody and is served well by two endearing leads in Tyler Labine and Alan Tudyk (in roles originally intended for Zach Galifianakis and Bradley Cooper before hitting the heights of "The Hangover"). They share a similar comradery to the aforementioned excellent dudes, Bill S. Preston esquire and Ted 'Theodore' Logan and without their appeal, this film just wouldn't work anywhere near as well as it does. I had admiration for the director and actors working on it's tight budget and even the effective comedy of error moments. However, at a short running time, I still found it to overstay it's welcome and towards the end, it became the very type of film it was sending up. Although the brand of humour isn't entirely to my tastes, there will be an audience out there that this will most certainly appeal to. I don't happen to belong to that audience but I can't still appreciate the effort and talent involved. Not to mention, some good humour.
This was a film that didn't receive much marketing and as a result featured in very few cinemas. It did, however, please audiences across the board at several film festival screenings and is no doubt a cult classic waiting to happen. Think Bill & Ted dicing with the Evil Dead and you pretty much get the drift of this one.
Cynthia S

September 9, 2011
Laugh out loud funny!!! Highly recommended for any B-movie horror film fan(past or present). I'd never heard of this movie, and watched it on a whim. Really glad I did! Loved it! We laughed so hard. If you liked "Shaun of the Dead", you'll love this.
Daniel Mumby
Daniel Mumby

May 3, 2012
The secret to making a good horror-comedy is the same as the secret to making any good film: we have to care about the characters and be interested in the story around them. But this becomes harder when you are attempting to spoof a genre whose appeal lies all too often in the amount of gore foisted upon the characters rather than the characters themselves. So many slasher spoofs are as guilty in this regard as the films that they are sending up, filling the screen with faceless nobodies who will be dead long before empathy kicks in.

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil may be taking aim at the slashers of old, but it does it with much greater skill than the Final Destination series or I Know What You Did Last Summer. Eli Craig's debut effort takes a single, interesting idea and plays it through for 90 minutes, inverting horror clichés as it goes and producing several barrel laughs along the way. While not as enjoyable or as ground-breaking as something like Shaun of the Dead, it nonetheless cuts the mustard as a proper horror-comedy.

Being a spoof, the film nods to horror clichés and conventions very readily and without apology. The setting of a cabin in the woods, and the implication of several obnoxious, pulchritudinous teenagers, is a direct nod to the Evil Dead series and more recently Cabin Fever. The killing-off of said teenagers one by one in increasingly gruesome ways nods towards Hallowe'en and more specifically Friday the 13th, a comparison reinforced by the skinny-dipping sequence.

The clash between townsfolk and hillbillies is as old as the hills surrounding them, with Deliverance being the biggest touchstone during the scene in the gas station. And the final showdown in the sawmill has hints of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre in Tucker's entrance to do battle with Chad, which in itself is a passing reference to Motel Hell. The deaths of the teenagers also nod towards past horror-inflected works. The scene where a guy is speared by a tree branch while running from angry bees is a possible send-up of Macaulay Culkin's death in My Girl, while the wood-chipper sequence takes the ending of Fargo and wittily reverses the roles.

This last example indicates the first big feather in Tucker & Dale's cap. It is completely conscious of how absurd the slasher genre has become in the way it disposes of its characters, to the point where the absurdity undermines what there is in the way of narrative integrity. It follows the mould of slasher movies by introducing obvious props which could be used for slewing, only to put them to totally innocent use and then playing the resulting accidents for laughs. There is something just plain funny about a guy tripping over a rock, spearing himself on a stick and slowly sliding down on top of a man as he lies on his back in a deep ditch.

The central gag of Tucker & Dale vs. Evil is that the characters we would normally think of as the villains are in fact completely harmless. The two hillbillies, Tucker and Dale, bear no ill will to Chad and the others at all: they just want to enjoy their new holiday home and spend some time bonding over a fishing trip. It is the skewed worldview of Chad and prejudices of the group which leads to their sticky ends (no pun intended). The film is essentially a farce, in which one misunderstanding leads to multiple misunderstandings and no-one gets out in one piece (again, no pun intended).

While the film isn't seeking to make any kind of deep point about social prejudice, it deserves plaudits for backing up its jokes with some genuinely enjoyable and rounded characters. The biggest plus-point about Tucker & Dale is its real sense of heart, with Eli Craig doing everything the hard way to build up the relationships between Tucker, Dale and Allison. He resists going for the obvious character developments in the relationships that matter, so that while everything else is being sent up or restaged ironically we still feel like we are watching real people.

Much of this appeal lies in the casting of the central pair. Tyler Labine gives Dale a lovable, teddy-bear quality, using his burly physique entirely to the character's advantage. We find ourselves really rooting for the character in his desire to talk to girls with confidence, and retain our empathy even when laughing at his simple mistakes (e.g. introducing himself to the teenage campers by walking up to them with a scythe in his hand). He also gets one of the best lines in the film: after a near-miss with a booby-trap, with a wooden stake just missing his privates, he mutters: "I never thought I'd say this, but I'm glad I'm not hung like a bear.".

Labine is ably complimented by Alan Tudyk, who may be familiar to movie-goers for his supporting roles in A Knight's Tale and Dodgeball. Tudyk is great at conveying repressed anger, and he has plenty of that in this role, putting up with Dale's every misdemeanour. His best scenes involve him running around with a chainsaw having just sawn through a beehive, trying to pull a body out of the wood-chipper, and best of all trying to explain to the local sheriff how it is that teenagers have, in his own words, "started killing themselves all over my property!".

What we end up with is a film which is simultaneously a full-on blood-and-guts horror movie, a bromance without any of Judd Apatow's sickening chauvinism, and a romantic comedy with genuine heart. It's hard enough to make a film which is both scary and funny, and Craig is very careful not to allow things to get too goofy. This is not, to quote Sam Raimi, a Three Stooges film with blood and guts standing in for custard pies, as The Evil Dead was. The film is closer to An American Werewolf in London in its set-up of comic characters who are then encroached upon by horror.

Like all films with such a simple premise, there comes a point where Tucker & Dale begins to run out of steam. Calling it a one-joke movie is doing it a great disservice, but once the characters sit down and start talking about their problems over tea, the film slowly grinds to a halt. The therapy scene is relevant to the plot, developing Allison's career aspirations as well as satirising similar scenes in more mainstream films. But like the ferry scene in The Dark Knight, there is an unavoidable loss of momentum even as we agree with what is being shown.

The other big problem is with the identity of the film outside of its appeal to die-hard horror fans. It's not the case that every horror film should be geared towards the mainstream, and there is nothing wrong with making a film that fans will appreciate. But once get past the send-ups, the film has to have something to give it a life of its own, to preserve its value in case its jokes age poorly. Tucker & Dale is a partial success due to the strong characterisations, but it lacks the distinctive visual look that Edgar Wright brought to Shaun of the Dead. Craig has the ability to be as good as Wright if he works hard, but at this stage he's not quite the finished article.

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil is an impressive and immensely enjoyable debut from Eli Craig, who has the potential to be a really good horror filmmaker. He makes the best of a good script, relatively unknown actors and a low budget to create something which is inventive, captivating, and which treads the line between funny and scary very well. Only time will tell how it holds up to the likes of Shaun of the Dead or The Cabin in the Woods, but for now it's a welcome addition to the horror-comedy canon.
Alexander D

September 12, 2011
What makes TUCKER & DALE such an entertaining film is the manner in which it ties a clean knot between the horror and comedy genres. The movie is so bloody, but at the same time massively funny. In one scene, Tucker has just chainsawed through a bee's nest in a log. He runs around wildly, chainsaw in the air, trying to escape the bees. Though we know it within forty-five seconds of the scene, it takes him another visit into the woods to realize he has offed one of the college students on his property.

Forgetting Curly, if Larry and Moe were characterized as stooges with sharp objects, TUCKER & DALE would be the automatic outcome. The few great scenes that make this a definitive slasher comedy are those that depict people acting asinine around objects we have always known to treat with caution (I didn't need this film to learn my lesson that if someone is standing next to a woodchipper, you don't charge at him/her with a screwdriver). Somehow, the stupidity of the characters is equal to the genius of the director. Not the best title, but a one-of-a-kind horror-comedy.

Ranked #8 of 2011.
Dan S

March 3, 2012
A hysterical, good-natured horror-comedy concerning two rednecks on vacation (Tyler Labine, Alan Tudyk) who are attacked by preppy college kids who believe that the two have kidnapped one of their own (the gorgeous Katrina Bowden), and thus a string of misunderstandings ensue. This is the hardest I have laughed at a film in quite some time, as director Eli Craig somehow, someway keeps a one-joke movie continuously hilarious. It turns the norms of the horror genre completely upside down, where we are rooting for the rednecks and hoping the college kids get their due, and as a result the film feels refreshingly original despite its obvious play on the stereotype that all West Virginian redneck characters are psychotic killers. The pace is tight, the laughs are consistent and uproarious, the ending fitting, and the message that we should look past certain stereotypes is well received in the end.
Spencer S

March 1, 2012
A sweet little indie comedy about the way horror films are put together. It isn't a very large budgeted film, but it is headed by favorite character actors and sometime leading men in short lived television pilots, Tyler Labine and Alan Tudyk. While Labine played second fiddle in the CW show Reaper, Tudyk is most famous for being on the cult favorite Firefly. Together they are Tucker and Dale, a couple of self proclaimed hillbillies on vacation at Tucker's vacation home, which is a downtrodden cabin out in the woods. Camping nearby is a group of college kids, all annoying and lacking in logic. The film is all about a small concept which is exploited for a couple chuckles at the expense of Tucker and Dale, and a lot at the college kids, who one after another make badly calculated decisions that lead to their mass extermination. Though there wasn't a large budget, the effects were horrifically gorey, and some of the principal photography in the woods looked perfectly misty and horror film centric. The film not only is a small parody of horror films, but generally makes the case that you shouldn't judge a book by the cover. Tucker is a serious straight man to Dale's blubbering sidekick, who works as the main protagonist, since he single handedly takes on the evil mentioned in the title. Though the story becomes a bit twisted as it goes along, and hinders a bit too heavily on the precedent that everyone, including the super annoying blonde who should have died in the first five minutes to give us all relief, needs to die. It labors tirelessly to create a villain, though the way they go about it is slightly brilliant, and overall it was a tad kitschy and over the top, but in the best of ways. Though the main character wasn't really relatable in the sense that he was very shy and silly, but he was truly interesting, and that interest held me through the entire movie. Really, a nice little gem that has been getting a lot of attention and deserves it wholeheartedly.
familiar s

February 10, 2012
I was under the impression that it's a zom-com, but it turned out to be a rom-com. Well, not exactly a rom-com per se either; more in the veins of comedy of errors. Whatever, but it wasn't as comedy as I was expecting. Had I gone in with no expectations, I might have not been (a bit) disappointed. It's just a moderate comedy flick. Okay, a bit higher, but only a bit. Almost all the actors are top-notch, but Tyler and Jesse Moss (overacts smartly) ace the performances. However, what I appreciate it the most for not being over-the-top.

All in all, it's a worthwhile entertainer while it lasts.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

January 27, 2012
Cast: Tyler Labine, Alan Tudyk, Katrina Bowden, Jesse Moss, Philip Granger, Brandon Jay McLaren, Christie Laing, Chelan Simmons, Alex Arsenault, Travis Nelson, Karen Reigh

Director: Eli Craig

Siummary: Expecting to enjoy a relaxing vacation at their rundown mountain cabin, backwoods boys Tucker and Dale see their peaceful trip turn into a nightmare when college kids camping nearby accuse the duo of being psychotic killers.

My Thoughts: "I really like Tyler Labine and Alan Tudyk, they are hilarious on their own so I knew with them teaming up for this movie it had to be funny. And it is. The film is a very clever spoof on the several wood slasher flicks. The film unravels quite nicely with all the cliche's thrown in the mix. It was a great blend of gore and violence. I'm happy they didn't shy away from showing all the gruesome kills as well. Great comedy flick to just relax and shut your mind off and have a good time with. It's a fun movie I'm sure most will enjoy."

Dale: "Bring it phrat bitch!"
blkbomb
blkbomb

January 21, 2012
Tucker: Oh hidy ho officer, we've had a doozy of a day. There we were minding our own business, just doing chores around the house, when kids started killing themselves all over my property.

"The perfect love story... with a high body count..."

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil is an extremely funny and well made backwoods horror spoof. The way Eli Craig uses all the standard backwood slasher cliches is a thing of beauty for horror fanatics. He works his way through countless cliches from the gas station to the house with bones hanging from the roof. This has to be the most intelligent spoof I have ever seen and quite possibly the best too. It's fun, it's hilarious, and it's genius.

The only movie this deserves to be compared to is Scream. These are the only two movies I've seen that have spoofed the horror genre in such a brilliant way. Unlike Scary Movie, which feels more like short skits; this plays out just like the movies it's spoofing. It looks like the standard backwoods slasher, that is if you turn your head during the kills. The kills look standard, hut they are anything but.

Two hillbilly buddies go out to their new vacation house that they are fixing up. They are two of the nicest hillbillies you'd ever meet. But looks are deceiving when a group of college kids believe they are psycho killers. When Dale saves their friend from drowning and takes her back to the cabin, they freak put thinking they are being put into a horror film. They try to save their friend, while Tucker & Dale are clueless as to what is going on.

This is such a wonderfully good time. It's creative in ways I haven't seen from a spoof. It never mentions the movies it's spoofing like Scary Movie or Scream. Instead it believes that the people who are watching it are horror fans and will just know. Like when Tucker has a mishap with a dysfunctional chainsaw and runs around waving it. Everyone knows what they are doing, so why say it?

Fans of the genre will fall in love with this ambitious film from the start. It's a treasure. The fact that I knew very little about it going in made it all the more better. I knew it was a horror spoof, but I didn't know any details about how it was going to play out. Watching play out without any details was one of the more enjoyable film experiences I have had in a long time. This will surely become a classic among horror buffs, just like Scream and Shaun of the Dead have become.
Emily A

August 22, 2011
This movie is such a good time. It's gory as hell and really well-versed in contemporary horror lore and convention, but it's got this really sweet side that comes through at every turn. It's a brilliant farce about two harmless and jovial hillbillies and the group of college-aged buttheads who find every single little thing they do threatening. Comparisons with Shawn of the Dead are very apt, since it's got the same sort of gently funny vibe balanced with gallows humour, and, occasionally, genuine scares. I think this is a really ingenious play on the killer backwater hicks genre of slasher movies: here the "hicks" are the main characters and rather lovable ones at that. It's the nubile college co-eds who are in the wrong, having developed an unhealthy fear of hillbillies through an apparent diet of slasher films and tripping over each other in their frantic attempts to get away from Tucker and Dale, all with hilariously disastrous results. The less I say, the better really. This movie is hilarious, and I'd hate to ruin it for you.
axadntpron
axadntpron

January 15, 2012
Simply put: If you are a horror movie fan, this movie is a lot of fun. The beehive scene alone is worth your time.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

September 23, 2011
Gruesomely funny spoof on the slasher horror genre! Satiring films like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and various other teen slasher flicks, it pokes fun at all the typical clichés in a really smart and clever way. Unlike lesser parodies, such as Vampires Suck, this is surprisingly consistent in the quality of the humor. I wouldn't go as far as to say that I loved it, but it's definitely a great pick to watch with your friends, as you'll be in for a lot of laughs.