Tully Reviews

½ May 31, 2014
A film I had lying around for ages. Never really got to it until now.
This is a farmer film that's both realistic and honest. We meet an older man with his two sons.
Their farm seem to be most of their lives, but there is room for some personal dramas as well.
It felt like I had seen it before. Nothing new here but not much wrong either. Maybe it hasn't aged well or maybe it never really interested me, because I was never really pleased with this film.
Quite flat, slow, few interesting turns and lack of charm.
It's pretty sad and heartbreaking, and it's not a poor film, but it never really comes alive and it failed to get me.

5 out of 10 tomato juice beers.
January 7, 2014
Family drama set in a small Midwestern American town and centering around a small town playboy who find himself in unfamiliar territory when he falls in love with a girl, and a more intimate plot development when their past and the future of the farm comes back to haunt his family. The screenplay is not any more interesting than many TV productions of the same kind, and often it is the photography of the landscape that is more touching than the plot itself.
½ September 15, 2013
A novelette with ambitions to be more than that.
½ June 20, 2013
Truly one of my favorite films. Tremendously moving and bittersweet.
July 13, 2012
guess it was interesting..in your novel-adaptation-art-film kind of way
½ November 24, 2011
Only heard of this because of Graymont. Not disappointed.
½ October 1, 2010
Beautiful, sad, poignant America cinema.
½ August 30, 2009
Wasn't quite sure what to expect from this but I was pleasantly surprised. It's a very sweet and realistic story. Considering that I'm really not fond of Julianne Nicholson on Law & Order: Criminal Intent, it was nice to see her play a different role, and one that was actually likable.
½ January 1, 2008
1111111111111111111111111111
½ October 5, 2007
Wow, was this ever not what I thought. From the cover, which shows two characters looking out of a car, almost a bit stressed in my opinion, I was expecting, I don't know, a foreign film about something urban. Of course, one of the make-or-break inclusions was Glenn Fitzgerald, who was a cancer patient when I last saw him. Actually, he was a cancer patient BOTH times I saw him, but nevermind that. That at least told me, though, that this was not in a language other than English--at least, more than likely.

Instead, it turned out to be a slow-moving drama set on a farm. Ok, slight change from expectation, but as I've said, I'm ok with that, and like being surprised. It did take a bit to get used to, though it did open immediately on Anson Mount (the titular Tully, in this case a "Jr.") having a fight around a dirt mound on said farm with Glenn Fitzgerald (as his brother Earl). They were laughing and throwing handfuls of dirt back and forth as their father (Tully Coates Sr, of course, played by Bob Burrus) looked on with some level of disapproval. As these things are wont to do, one of Tully's handfuls goes awry and hits Earl in the eye. As always happens, Early immediately forgets the light-hearted nature of the fight and begins yelling profanities at his brother. At this point, Tully Sr. decides to step in and admonish the two of them for screwing around.

Soon we see Earl in a theatre enjoying a movie with one eye covered in gauze, and Tully comes in to pester him to go out looking for women with him. Now, I'm set dead against Tully at this point, for being a jerk to his brother and for committing the cardinal sin of talking in a movie theatre, loudly, obnoxiously and with no regard for those asking him to shut the hell up. Oops, it's going to be an uphill battle for my sympathies now.

We see Tully at work now in a bar, sitting with a few friends when he's informed that April Reece, local "hottie" is staring at him. He eventually works his way over there and has a conversation with her. The next day, the two of them go out for the hour she has before work and have sex in the back of his car. She leaves him to walk home from there--not because she's hurt, but because she doesn't really care.

As seems to be inevitable in most films set on a farm, yes, a nervous and unhappy man appears with a letter which Tully and Earl's father reads privately, and yes, there's that word--foreclosure. It's not addressed as melodrama, thankfully, since the concept itself is enough of a cliché. But it works just fine anyway. They are, as you might have gathered, a family of three alone, as their mother (Tully Sr's wife, naturally) died fifteen years earlier.

The only other primary character to really worry about is Ella, a neighbor and friend to Earl, who is not happy with Tully's irritatingly hedonistic womanizing and self-centered outlook--berating his father for letting him look "stupid" when he discovered the bank had frozen their assets after finding out about the foreclosure, instead of worrying in any way about the foreclosure itself. Ella ignores Tully for much of the movie, because she's a smart girl and is not going to fall for his usual charms and appearance, but we can see glimmers of something in her for him as a human being (wherever THAT is).

Honestly, though, we do start to see the cracks in the façade that Tully maintains to have sex with a half dozen women around town--he feels alone and abandoned by his mother for her death, and is not willing to care much about anyone or anything else except himself to avoid that same feeling coming back to him.

For a cast of folks I knew absolutely nothing about, barring Glenn Fitzgerald (Earl, for the record, is a more compassionate if angsty son to Tully Sr.) and John Diehl, who plays a small role as a man who had an affair with the late Irene Coates, I was pretty impressed with the performances. A late night conversation between the two Tullys was especially of note. When they've both said everything they're willing to say--even if not everything they're thinking of saying--there's a pause, as Tully Jr. stares off, arms folded and leaned against a table, in that awkward way that fights end, before he finally walks out. It's very natural.

Apparently I was not as impressed as most people considering the ratings floating around the various sites I frequent and use to remind myself of actor names (or their previous experiences), but such is life. It was a pleasant enough movie, very well put together, but nothing terribly special in my opinion.
May 30, 2007
Moving story, a bit talking and slow moving, but it's subtle and very nicely acted. Thoughtful direction and has a score that is very complimentary to the story. Believably done.
½ October 15, 2006
great little independant movie
½ October 9, 2005
How do films like this ever get made? Who fronts the money for this tripe? Set in a small farming town, Tully is the local heartthrob and tomcat who lays every girl he can and then falls for the innocent girl next door. Had it been shot and written like "All the Real Girls," it would have been something. Instead, it wanders about without ever endearing us to any of the characters and never establishes a plot worth watching. Avoid at all costs.
January 14, 2005
Let's see...[b]Tully[/b] was quiet and simple, almost too much so. The dialogue or the character's weren't particularily interesting, almost tv-dramaish, but somehow the film managed to pick up momentum for a climax that was played out wonderfully. Very enjoyable.

[b]Girl with a Pearl Earring[/b], A film about a girl in a Vermeer painting. Kind of what you'd expect something like this to be: slow, depressed, turned inward, has the usual visual glamour. Nobody says much, and the only person you get even remotely close to is the main character played by Scarlett Johansson. End scene is powerful and very nice. Altogether not a bad film.

[b]Shaun of the Dead[/b] is not funny ha-ha but manages to amuse at a general level. Very amateuristic in the way that it could just as well have been an extended episode of Spaced rather than a movie. At a few points there is even enough thrillingness for a real zombie film, but generally the zombies here are pretty useless. The deadest person in the film is the main character's mother who in many scenes, with absolutely horrible acting, spoils any mood or credibility they've been able to establish. But still, perfectly watchable entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Comment, please. Especially if you've seen these and disagree.
½ November 25, 2003
[b]Tully[/b] is one of those ultra-realistic small-town heart-felt stories with sweet-to-the-core and yet highly-flawed characters that I love so much. It doesn't have the same magic as [b]You Can Count on Me [/b]for example, but then nothing really does and any comparison to said movie is highly unfair. However, they are similar in that they focus primarily on family relationships, love interests, character development and positive arcs, and excellent dialogue. The type of story to put you in a good mood and make you think at the same time.

I cannot wait for this holiday to begin. They keep piling it on me at work because we have off on Thursday and Friday, so I'm basically doing five days of work in a three day span and my head is elsewhere dreaming of football, turkey, seeing old friends, getting blindly drunk, projectile vomiting, and lying on the couch scratching my balls for hours on end.

I just did a search on Moviefone to see which films will be playing in Philly over the weekend since that's where I'll be, and unfortunately [b]21 Grams[/b] will still not have arrived. The theatre that's playing [b]Bad Santa[/b] is too goddamn far, so it'll either be [b]Pieces of April[/b] or nothing at all. I've basically seen everything else there that's of interest. Has anyone seen POA?