Turbo Reviews

June 28, 2013
Good animation. Sweet story. Enjoyable 95 minutes.
January 6, 2015
This is a solid 4. The story kept my nearly 4 year old daughter and I quite engaged in the movie. I don't quite understand the low ratings people are giving. For what this is, it's quite good. Perhaps the family/child movie category is an overly saturated genre and people have become spoiled. I can't help but wonder if it wasn't the critics who led this movie to its demise. There's no reason at all that this isn't a great movie to take your kids to. Ryan Reynolds, Paul Giamatti, and all the voices did a great job. It is funny to me that in the minds these snails think they're moving as fast as lightening. I like when they cut the camera from these fast sequences to show them moving very slowly. Fun stuff. UNDERRATED!
December 8, 2014
Didn't really like it. It's an okay film for little kids, but to me, not so much.
December 7, 2014
Visually attractive, great energy, many laughs - exceeded our expectations.
November 30, 2014
Not memorable, but certainly cute and entertaining.
November 17, 2014
It's good enough. It's an odd premise that has been fulfilled, so it's been done. A movie about a racing snail. It's done now. And it's done well.
January 30, 2014
This movie is not good, not good at all. There is much better family entertainment than this. It has nice visuals, but the positives stop there. First off, I think this premise is really stupid. It's about a snail who can go 230 MPH. That's really stupid, in my opinion. Next it's a little too predictable for my tastes. I was able to guess exactly what was going to happen in every scene and it made me feel like I'd already seen the movie. Lastly, the side characters in this movie are amazingly annoying. I wanted them to get stepped on the entire movie. 4/10, would not recommend.
November 8, 2014
I've appreciated the key parts of the story, a snail who races in the Indianapolis 500 is something very original, in my opinion, but at the end of the movie I felt like I was expecting something more from it...

The friendship between Turbo and Tito is really heartwarming and involving, and the volte-face of Guy Gagné doesn't turn his "motto" (No dream is too big, and no dreamer is too small) into something less meaningful.
Dee
½ November 5, 2014
While the first half of the movie looked like a cheap combination of Ratatouille and Planes, the second half was enjoyable enough for me to keep on watching.
Though, I cared less for the snails, who all lacked a personality, and found the human characters to be way more enjoyable. The Mexican adult version of the small Asian boy from Up was a good choice, as all the humor comes from him. The rest of the characters are not that interesting. He and his brother, who looks like Angry Joe, could've had way more scenes together.

It also bothered me that the main character's transformation basically turned him into a car, instead of just fast, which was just stupid in my opinion, and that his own brother was needlessly negative 99% of the movie. It was tiresome. Much like seeing snails having a smug face. And another top racer-character being the villain of the movie. I've already seen that in Cars, Planes, Herbie, and countless of other movies I haven't mentioned.

What I also didn't get is why the other racer snails were so driven on helping the main character; nothing they said to each other implied they were friends.

Anyway, it's an alright, but cheap movie. It'll be good enough for your children.
½ November 1, 2014
Turbo is a fun, action-packed, heartfelt, and sincere journey of a small creature destined for big things. Sure that's a recycled plot, but it works surprisingly well thanks to terrific animation, better voice performances, and a focus on message that never wavers and culminates in the perfect ending for the story. It's suitable for all ages and will please children and adults alike with its energy and sincerity both.
½ June 15, 2013
I don't hate in fact it's okay
½ September 20, 2014
For young kids only.
October 1, 2014
This formula is getting too stale now. We have seen the same story in so many different guises that it no longer works.
August 16, 2013
130815: Loved it. Brought me many laughs and a few tears. Not so sure it was a big seller with the little guy (8 years).
131116: See prior message. Still the same.
140924
September 21, 2014
Not a bad kids movie, but nothing too substantial or special either. Reynolds is good as Theo/Turbo the snail & Giamatti is solid as Chet, the 'voice-of-conscience' brother. Basically, he drinks some nitrous & become turbo-charged and ends up racing in the Indianapolis 500 Grand Prix - yes, ridiculous - but it has some funny moments. My favourite bits - when the snails are heading to work and a crow grabs one of them, they all stop, shocked - then continue their slow crawl! Nothing too memorable, but an OK, quick watch.
September 21, 2014
OK OK. One time watch.
September 20, 2014
Strong visuals and a talented cast, make Turbo an entertaining film. But it's not as creative as it could've been.
½ September 15, 2014
Turbo. Fun and one for the kids. Turbo (reynolds) is a snail who is set for bigger things, if only he could be fast. Obsessed with speed and after a freak accident he obtains the speed of a high powered car. After winning over some cool friends Turbo and his brother (giamatti) look set to take on the Indy 500 a prestige racing competition. Only problem is no one has even drove in the competition as a snail. Funny, cute and amazing graphics. Beautiful underdog story.
September 13, 2014
Often fun, but not very original.
½ April 22, 2013
Not successful as "The Croods" as this film is sort-of dull and contains similarities from a few animated films and sports films, but it's good and funny with an original concept full of silliness. (B)