20% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Twelfth Night: Or What You Will Reviews

Luke B

December 21, 2007
Light-hearted Shakespeare just as it should be. Pretty much perfectly cast with each actor hitting all the right notes. Still like with most Shakespeare it will never match up to its source material but at least it goes for a fair balance between the theatrical and the cinematic.
John B

December 7, 2012
Okay passable Shakespeare like the type that you are usually forced to endure in a high school class but don't remember well beyond the exam on the subject.
Sunil J

August 12, 2007
Good cast but is just pretty blah and uninteresting.
Marion R

January 11, 2009
I really enjoyied this adaptation. It was much more fun. I just really thought it was great!
macabrescribe
July 21, 2009
At first, it was a little confusing because the film assumes you know the story already. But after a while, you catch on and it becomes quite humorous.
August 29, 2007
umm... it wasnt horrible but the girl/man ws really ugly, and canning tatum is way hotter, she's the man is way better.
nusratismyelvis
August 22, 2007
Not as funny as the play production I saw of Twelfth Night, but still very well acted- this movie could stand to take itself less seriously.
countrylass16
August 2, 2007
Was my absolute favorite for the longest time. Now, i still love it, but there are many other great ones out there
June 29, 2007
it was soo confusing but good movie all the same. it was funny, sad, and weird. "be not afriad of greatness. some are born great. some achieve greatness. and some have greatness thrust upon them." great line
June 16, 2007
I love Shakespeare, though I am unfamiliar with this particular play. The movie, however, because I was unfamiliar with the play, felt disjointed and rushed, though the acting was delightful. Ben Kingsley was delicious as the wise fool, full of depth and sharp, perceptive glances.
March 5, 2007
I have loved this movie for years.. It's my favorite Shakespeare play, and this version is great.. Richard E. Grant is hilarious, Ben Kingsley is amazing, .. and Imogen Stubbs is irresistable.. Not to mention, of course Helena Bonhem Carter, stunning as always.. Overall just a perfect movie.
kemcmanus
December 27, 2006
The Brits hate to admit it, but Trevor Nunn is a BRILLIANT director of Shakespeare on the screen, and this sentimental rendering of a most unsentimental play is notable for the honesty in the older lovers and the best damn Viola in the history of Violas.
madelineschulman
November 26, 2006
I think this is the one set so many centuries after Shakespeare that it makes no sense -- you don't have jesters in the 19th century.
acreekfan
August 6, 2006
One of the best Shakespeare adaptations. Helena Bonham Carter does an outstanding job as always and makes this movie along with the other actors even understandable for the shakespeare novice.
August 25, 2013
Fantastic adaptation, as unlikely yet satisfying a Feste Kingsley becomes. The definitive What You Will.
June 24, 2013
This film adaptation of the lovable Shakespearean play differentiates from its source material is certain spots for the right reasons, changes the order of the scenes to find the right balance, and still captures the giddy charm and lovable emotion to certainly please its own way.
June 10, 2012
we are performing this play at school so we watched this film. i love the play but i found the film quite boring. however i think Helena Bonham Carter as Olivia was really good and so was Richard E. Grant as Sir Andrew Aguecheek.
March 13, 2011
One of the most brilliant things I've ever seen in my life; hilarious!!!!!
Adrian B.
September 11, 2010
Once again, this Shakepeare play does nothing for me. I thought it was bizarre, unfunny and dull. Not a great play, nor film.
Functionally Godarded
December 22, 2008
So the last week of school is often a week of film-watching and not-class-having. In AP French Language IV, we watched the French film [b]Joyeux Noel[/b] with Diane Kruger in the lead role. The film felt terribly realistic and close to life because the languages that would have been spoken were. The language barriers and the differences between the Germans, French, and Scottish made the uniting on Christmas Eve all the more moving and powerful. It's a truly well-made film if you haven't seen it. Perfect for the holidays. [b][u]8.5/10[/u][/b]

In my AP Literature and Composition class, we watched Trevor Nunn's [b]Twelfth Night[/b], which we just finished reading. It was funny and well-acted. Ben Kingsley and Helena Bonham-Carter are truly gifted actors and they handle Shakespeare's language very effectively. Imelda Staunton is also good, playing a different kind of role for her. This is a very faithful and ultimately charming film version of one of the Bard's classic comedies. [b][u]7/10[/u][/b]

In my American Film class, we also watched a film (as one might expect). We just finished [b]The Godfather[/b] last week and our assignment over break is to watch Part II (it's on my Christmas list). However, in the past week we watched Martin Scorcese's [b]Raging Bull[/b], which is fueled by a transformative and hugely powerful performance by Robert DeNiro. Very similar to [b]Milk[/b], DeNiro inhabits the role and you forget who it is. A lot of the problems that I've had with DeNiro's other performances are that it's so obvious that it's DeNiro. The director was trying to say, "This is Robert DeNiro, you guys!" and not "This is Jake LaMotta." or whatever other role he was playing. Raging Bull is obviously a classic, the second best movie of 1980 (second only to another black and white film). [b][u]9/10[/u][/b]

Speaking of transformative performance, I went and saw [b]Milk[/b] this past weekend with my girlfriend and it was a truly excellent film, teeming with hope despite the tragedy that everyone saw coming. It's incredibly relevent, intentionally political, and masterfully executed. The editing is perfect in creating a mood and the directing by Gus Van Sant is probably his best work. Plus Sean Penn, always there for a good performance, gives the performance that I've seen him do. He embodies Harvery Milk, he becomes the guy. It's truly amazing and ultimately moving. If you are not uncomfortable with gay characters or two men kissing or anything like that and if you believe, as I do, that everybody should have the same rights, gay or straight, black or white, tall or short, then go watch this film. It's a great work. [b][u]9/10[/u][/b]