RT on DVD: Exclusive Clips From Twilight, Punisher: War Zone

Which Twilight set should you buy?

It's a big week for fans of Stephenie Meyer's vampire romance Twilight, which was adapted into the biggest movie phenomenon of 2008 and is headed to shelves this Saturday, March 21. But which exclusive DVD/Blu-ray package should you pick up for your favorite Bella and Edward devotee? For those who react violently at the very mention of Twilight, we've got the perfect antidote: the brutal comic book crime thriller Punisher: War Zone, which reboots Marvel's anti-hero ...again. Also this week, check out Disney's Certified Fresh animated flick Bolt, the Penelope Cruz-Ben Kingsley drama Elegy, and a few classics given the re-mastered treatment (Akira Kurosawa's Dodes'ka-den, the F.W. Murnau box set). Read up on more new releases here.

Twilight (3/21) -- 49%

Twilight fan girls, the most exciting week of the year has arrived! (That is, until Twilight's sequel, New Moon, hits theaters on November 20). The teenage romance about a girl named Bella and her vampire beau, Edward Cullen, was the biggest movie phenomenon of last year, and came out of nowhere to score over $372 million in worldwide sales, spawn a hit soundtrack, and single-handedly keep Hot Topic stores everywhere in business. This Saturday, the savvy folks at Summit will release the first film in the Twilight franchise on 2-disc, 3-disc, and Blu-ray versions with enough bonus materials to satisfy your Twilight jones.

Which Twilight release should you pick up? The standard-issue 2-disc DVD comes with an impressive array of extras, headlined by an audio commentary with director Catherine Hardwicke and her two stars, Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson. Hardwicke introduces five deleted scenes, and joins her cast and crew (and Stephenie Meyer) in a seven-part documentary about all aspects of the Twilight production. A Comic-Con buzz piece reveals the 2008 panel that took San Diego by storm, and music videos by Paramore, Muse, and Linkin Park give the MTV crowd a few tangential Twilight extras.

But why settle for the standard DVD when you can get much, much more? A Borders-exclusive 2-disc release offers additional cast interviews and video from the red carpet premiere, plus 10 exclusive collectible cards. Over at Target, you'll find a 3-disc exclusive set that includes a digital version of the film and a third disc of additional Twilight movie footage that includes Edward's piano performance, Pattinson and Stewart featurettes, Bella's Lullaby remix video, a conversation with Stephenie Meyer, and --- most importantly --- a vampire kiss montage created by Hardwicke herself. The Blu-ray release --- available only at Target and Best Buy for the first few months --- contains all of the above-mentioned extra features.

Target's 3-disc exclusive is our recommendation for Twilight on DVD...that is, until Amazon's Ultimate Collector's Edition box set ($109.99) hits on May 5, 2009. (A Twilight charm bracelet and jewelry box and a teaser for New Moon?? We're so there. ) Until then, camp out for your local midnight DVD release party and watch our exclusive DVD bonus clip below.

Next: Marvel reboots its anti-hero again in Punisher: War Zone

Comments

Colyn B.

Colyn Bowman

I actually liked the Twilight movie despite some of its korny dialogue. Ill be picking that up on Bluray. Punisher I will definitely rent.

Mar 16 - 06:26 PM

Colyn B.

Colyn Bowman

Oh and hell yes! Nosferatu! One of my all time favorites!

Mar 16 - 06:43 PM

Elijah S.

Elijah Samek

i like PUNISHER!

Mar 16 - 06:45 PM

Colyn B.

Colyn Bowman

Did you like the new Punisher or the one with Thomas Jane better?

Mar 16 - 06:47 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I like the new one, PWZ is funny and cool. Its suppose to be like a fun bad movie, and it is for the most part. Nothing for me this week. This weeks plan: AVOID TWILIGHT AT ALL COST, I WANT TO LIVE DAMMIT!

Mar 16 - 08:11 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

Haha, that punisher clip was awesome, I'm so renting this.

Mar 16 - 07:39 PM

mssk8erboy

First Last

Ugh, not a very good week. I liked Bolt a lot but i don't feel the need to own it and i have no interest in Twilight or The Punisher: War zone. Looks like I'll play catch up this week and get Synecdoche, New York.

-MIKE

Mar 16 - 07:39 PM

kipcanyon

kip canyon

i would have to say that TDK was the biggest movie phenomenon of 2008....just saying.
twilight was the most hilarious movie ive ever seen...and obviously its not spposed to be.
and why would they reboot punisher a couple years after they made it...stupid. same with FF they should wait a couple years.

Mar 16 - 07:48 PM

Jared King

Yeah but kipcnayon, we need to see a new FF film. Because they're great characters who can make a great film, if done right. But the Punisher will never make a good film. Sorry folks. I think "Princess Bride" will be worth getting, since I don't have it on DVD. I'd like to insult "Twilight", but I don't want to offend any fans.

Mar 16 - 09:22 PM

ColinTheCimmerian

Colin Hay

Dude, how is it the Fantastic Four can make a great movie but The Punisher can't? Not saying the FF can't be a great one, but realistically speaking, it would a lot easier to do Punisher really well than FF.

Anywho...

I really liked War Zone. I would have preferred that they continue from Tom Jane's movie (and kept Jane on as Castle), because I quite liked that movie and am a big fan of Jane, but I must admit that Ray Stevenson is better suited to the role and did a good job.

I hope eventually another Punisher movie is made, either a sequel to War Zone or a new one entirely. I feel like with each one, they're gradually progressing toward the ideal movie. The first one with Dolph Lundgren had the right amount of action and the proper setting, but was hurt by poor acting, writing, and production values. The second one with Thomas Jane fixed the problems with the first by vastly upgrading the acting and production values, and really fleshing out the character and his origins. Problem was that it overshot a bit and had too much focus on character and plot and cut down on the action, though with the limited budget they had, there was little choice in the matter. I also felt like the Miami setting was all wrong and the character was a bit too soft. Now with Stevenson's take, they got the violence, action, setting, and character right, while keeping the (good enough) production values and acting, but it overshot again and had too much focus on action and visuals, and ended up sorely lacking in plot and character development. If they can just find a balance between the action/visuals/setting/bad-***-ery of Stevenson's and the more involving plot and interesting writing of Jane's, they'd have a great movie on their hands. A slightly larger budget would be nice too. But after War Zone flopped, I'm not sure it'll ever happen.

Mar 16 - 11:55 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Mar 16 - 08:11 PM

Mar 16 - 09:22 PM

ColinTheCimmerian

Colin Hay

Anywho...

Mar 16 - 11:55 PM

-apocolyptic-

chris armit

Probably going to buy Bolt for my son, he loves that movie. Think hes going to wear this one out much like he did with Cars.
Buying Twilight for my wife and daughter, but it probably end up like Titanic. One of those movie I will never, ever watch.
Wouldn't mind checking out the F.W.Murnau though.

Mar 16 - 10:07 PM

ColinTheCimmerian

Colin Hay

Anywho...

Mar 16 - 11:55 PM

Jared King

Colin, Punisher will always be JUST a revenge flick, no soul, no entertainment.

apocolyptic, I think "Titanic" is in a different class than "Twilight".

Mar 17 - 01:11 PM

-apocolyptic-

chris armit

Yeah I know what you mean.
BUT the reason I grouped together, is cuz they are both movies that woman are saying are great romantic movies.
Of course now that I have read what I wrote, seems kinda dumb.
K...when Titanic came out it was hyped beyond belief once people started seeing it.
Same with Twilight.
I dunno they are very few movies I will go out of my way to see, especially when they are hyped like crazy.
TDK was the last one I saw at the theater and didn't wait for it to come to DVD.
So while they may be in different leagues as in production and such, they still feel like a movie I can't or won't ever get into.

Mar 17 - 03:53 PM

I hear ya.

Mar 17 - 09:22 PM

ColinTheCimmerian

Colin Hay

First off, there's nothing wrong with revenge movies. Secondly, only one of the three Punisher movies was a revenge movie (the 2004 one). And how do you correlate a revenge theme with 'no soul, no entertainment'? I could say "Fantastic Four will always be JUST an action flick, no soul, no entertainment" and that would just as logical a statement (i.e. not logical at all). Come on now, if you're going to make controversial statements like "so-and-so will never make a good movie" and act like you know what you're talking about, you either need to be able to explain yourself a little better or man up and admit you have no basis for what you said other than personal preference.

Mar 18 - 07:53 PM

Jared King

It's Hollywood. I've seen the 89 and 04 Punisher, and the problem is it's just about Frank Castle shooting people. Why can't it be about his inner demons? It's typical Hollywood. Maybe a Punisher film could work, in the right hands. But we've yet to see that. So, I mildly apoligize. Punisher can work, if it's nothing like the prievious films.

Mar 18 - 09:08 PM

ColinTheCimmerian

Colin Hay

Alright, that is a very reasonable answer. I withdraw my previous comments and apologize for any incendiary remarks. You make a good point that thus far all the Punisher movies have been pretty shallow, but hey, if you look at the contrast between Joel Schumacher's Batman films and Christopher Nolan's, you'll agree that what is pretty worthless in one incarnation can be much more interesting in another. I think the potential is there for The Punisher, just as there's a lot of potential in the FF, we just need them to be put in the "right hands", as you very accurately put it.

On a related note, I just realized that both the '89 and '04 movies were directed by rookie directors, who weren't even really directors. Mark Goldblatt, who did the '89 version, is actually trained as a film editor and has only directed one other feature film in his career, and Jonathan Hensleigh, who did the '04 version, is actually a screenwriter, and has also only directed one other (direct-to-video) feature in his career. Lexi Alexander who did War Zone is actually a kickboxer-turned-director, so somehow I doubt she went to any prestigious film schools either. The Punisher character really hasn't ended up in the right hands yet at all, so who knows how it might turn out if an actual pro took on the job.

Mar 18 - 09:41 PM

Jared King

The kickboxer turned director would say "I went to the school of hard knocks!" But, yeahm a good Punisher will come one day. Just, give it a decade before doing another reboot.

Mar 18 - 10:03 PM

-apocolyptic-

chris armit

Yeah I know what you mean.
Of course now that I have read what I wrote, seems kinda dumb.
Same with Twilight.

Mar 18 - 10:03 PM

Mar 18 - 10:03 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies