Sinking Our Teeth Into Twilight, Day 1: Twilight

Summary

It's had its share of detractors and naysayers, but Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga has become a bona fide cultural phenomenon, a popular and lucrative franchise that has raked in over $2 billion at the box office and spurred a renewed obsession with vampires and werewolves. Unfortunately for its fans, however, the series will draw to a close this weekend with the release of its final chapter, Breaking Dawn, Part 2. As such, we thought it would be a good time to hunker down and examine what it is, exactly, that makes the series such a hit. To that end, we've commissioned two dedicated RT staffers -- one fan and one neophyte -- to trade observations on The Twilight Saga, and it all begins right here with the first film, Twilight. Back to Article

Comments

Tanis W.

Tanis Warren

You guys are better folks than I for being able to sit through these films without rifftrax. They're so ridiculously brutal.

Nov 12 - 07:25 PM

Justin D.

Sorry Jeff, it only gets worse from here. This series and its popularity are evidence of how stupid teenage girls are.

Nov 12 - 07:36 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

The people who hate it aren't any less stupid. Perfect example being anyone who compares these movies to everything, & anyone who thinks these are the worst movies ever made when they are clearly not Battlefield Earth or The Haunting of Molly Hartley.

Nov 12 - 09:14 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

yeah but Battlefield Earth didn't have four sequels and I've never heard of The Haunting of Molly Hartley. I agree there are plenty of worse movies to be watching but if I had to choose between 5 two and half hour movies where dopey blocks of wood express there love by staring at each other or a three hour scientology propaganda film starring John Travolta in a nose piece. I'm taking the Nose Piece.

Nov 12 - 09:19 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

The sequels happened for a reason, and if battlefield Earth would have had sequels, I could only imagine then. I'll take staring at each other for 2 hours straight over an ugly Scientology bullshit that wanted me to commit suicide every agonizing minute any day.

Nov 12 - 09:28 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

You know what's interesting about these awful films (battlefield earth, Twilight series) is both actually have Oscar Winning, and Nominated talent in them. It's always so bizarre to see that in bad films. Anna Kendrick, Michael Sheen, Forest Witaker. I always find it so interesting when Phenomenal actors end up in such critically hated films.

Nov 13 - 08:41 AM

Justin D.

No, you're right. Detractors aren't brain trusts either, though I hope you're not comparing me to the ones you're speaking of, since nowhere in my comment did I say it was the worst thing ever. But to be honest, if I were given a choice over which movie I'd rather watch (and "neither" wasn't an option) I'd pick Battlefield. Why? Because that movie is awful, but hilariously so. Twilight has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. My initial impression of the series was apathy. I knew it was nothing I'd watch and so I felt no way towards it. Then my at-the-time girlfriend had me sit down and watch it (not in theaters of course). It takes a special kind of movie to make me want a refund when I hadn't even spent any money on it. Is it the worst series of movies ever made? No, but so what? It's still bad. I'm sure there are worse ways of dying than getting shot but that doesn't mean I'm going to rush in front of a firing squad.

Nov 13 - 01:09 PM

Antonio Buono

Antonio Buono

#1 is bad, but it looks like a masterpiece compared to #2 and #4. This series was doomed from the moment it started. Meyer's books are really awful.

Nov 12 - 08:26 PM

C Damien Belyeu

C Damien Belyeu

Consider me another naysayer, because there isn't a single thing about this movie series I can say is decent. ...strike that, I have found one good thing about this series: it's about to end.

Nov 12 - 09:06 PM

Bradly Martin

Nov 13 - 08:41 AM

Nov 13 - 01:09 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

#1 - Okay
#2 - over 2 hours of my life I will never get back.
#3 - Improvement
#4 - where the acting was good for once.

Nov 12 - 09:16 PM

SionnachOghma

Padraig Fagan

#1 - Meh.
#2 - Unintentional comedy gold.
#3 - The most fun I've ever had at an awful movie.
#4 - Someone. Please. Kill me.

Nov 13 - 09:28 AM

#1 - Awful.
#2 - Worse than awful.
#3 - Still pretty bad, yet somehow better than 1 and 2 (and thank the gods for rifftrax).
#4 - Didn't even bother.

Nov 13 - 01:29 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Nov 12 - 09:19 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Nov 12 - 09:28 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Nov 13 - 08:41 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Funny Stuff guys. I like how civil this discussion was about the film. I read the first book and I think Kristen Stewart nailed Bella's blank slate no personality Bella Swan. I think just about any actor alive could play Edward, so Robert Pattinson wasn't a bad fit either.

Nov 12 - 09:21 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Nov 12 - 09:28 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Nov 13 - 08:41 AM

SionnachOghma

Padraig Fagan

#1 - Meh.
#2 - Unintentional comedy gold.
#3 - The most fun I've ever had at an awful movie.
#4 - Someone. Please. Kill me.

Nov 13 - 09:28 AM

#1 - Awful.
#2 - Worse than awful.
#4 - Didn't even bother.

Nov 13 - 01:29 PM

Epic Barney Funk

Barney Funk

Glad to see this franchise come to an end!

Nov 13 - 12:26 PM

Nov 13 - 01:09 PM

#1 - Awful.
#2 - Worse than awful.
#4 - Didn't even bother.

Nov 13 - 01:29 PM

Ulisses Junior

Ulisses Junior

youtube apresenta ulysses junior poeta do amor

Nov 13 - 03:26 PM

Jon Cox

Jon Cox

this 1st movie I was interested beacause I love the vampire mythos so much and I understand it changes with each new writer, this stuff didn't bother me
the dialogue was cheesy though and they go overboard with the sudden forlorn thing, the villain was poorly written as well
but I like these actors and Catherine Hardwicke knows how to direct teenagers
plus the thing you have to understand is that Meyer had a dream and that's when she concocted the story to make it for teenage girls
how many girls do you know that want to be the bell of the ball for that one insanely attractive guy, especially if he's immortal?

Nov 14 - 10:34 AM

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Check out Boardwalk Empire

Historical TV Shows
Historical TV Shows

40 TV depictions of past eras

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer