Critic Review - ABC Radio Brisbane

This weekend, millions of people around the globe will be conned into handing over their hard earned cash to see a film with no plot, no action and no climax.

November 16, 2011 Full Review Source: ABC Radio Brisbane | Comments (37)
ABC Radio Brisbane

Comments

Rada1 s.

Rada1 sportsnet

I'll say it again, girls who likes the Twilight series are people who has no self-respect for themselves at all. They think that romance and love are the most important thing in the world...which it's not...food, water and money are the most important. These girls think that without a man they are useless and should not belong in this world. Twilight sends a wrong message to girls saying, don't better yourself by getting an education and a good job and becoming smart, but, be dumb and a slave to your man because having a man makes you complete and everything else is crap. Stupid Twilight!

Nov 16 - 08:47 AM

Kris

Kris Mayle

I couldn't have said it better myself. They'll realize how stupid this fad is eventually. Like I said, it's a fad and it's lost a lot of it's fans since 2 years ago. Twilight loses a lot of polls online now (ones that they would have easily won), the last Twilight movie didn't make as much as it's predecesor. I don't think it will do as well as the other movies or at least not much better. It's fans are realizing how stuid the franchise is and straying quickly. Which is why Twilight differs from Harry Potter. Harry Potter's doing better than ever and seems to keep gaining fans young and old (it's actually more popular in the media now than it's been it's whole run). Being an HP fan is something to be proud of. Twilight should be treated like a really bad guilty pleasure. You should be afraid to say you like it. Either way, good comment. Hopefully it'll get into someone's head.

Nov 16 - 09:30 AM

Christopher Côté

Christopher Côté

Quote: "girls who likes the Twilight series are people who has no self-respect for themselves at all."

ANSW: What the f**k are u talking about? Actually, you dislike this serie becuz you don't read. I've eat the whole book serie again and again. Stephenie Mayer are an genious writer! Sadly, like Harry Potter, Lord of the Ring and other BIG SUCCES book can't be perfect in a movie. But Twilight do a great job to stay in the book road!

Quote: "They think that romance and love are the most important thing in the world"

ANSW: Maybe not for you... You must be alone...

Quote: "Twilight sends a wrong message to girls saying, don't better yourself by getting an education and a good job and becoming smart, but, be dumb and a slave to your man because having a man makes you complete and everything else is crap."

ANSW: IT'S A LOVE STORY....U DUMB!

Nov 16 - 09:38 AM

Jeremy Traynor

Jeremy Traynor

Ok first off dont dare bring Lord of The Rings into this. Those films have more awards to their names then the average Twilight reader's IQ. and for someone who reads so much your grammar is god awful. Twilight proves that just because something is popular doesnt mean it is good. Twilight does sent the wrong message; about vampires, love, how to write a plot or develop a character and about self respect.

Nov 16 - 09:52 AM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

Are you spelling like a moron in a sarcastic way or you are just a moron?

Nov 16 - 10:05 AM

Peter W.

Peter Winters

I vote moron

Nov 16 - 11:04 AM

Alex Newton

Alex Newton

I've never "eat" any of them, and reading a fanatical rebuttal without a single coherent sentence isn't making me any more eager to start.

Nov 16 - 11:40 AM

Kristen Linderman

Kristen Linderman

Gonna go with "English is a second language."

Nov 19 - 03:18 PM

Denis R.

Denis Robert

It's not a love story. It's a mormon allegory, intended to make Mormonism's nutty beliefs more palatable to a mainstream audience...

Nov 16 - 10:36 AM

Rada1 s.

Rada1 sportsnet

Learn to spell and use grammer correctly before replying ghetto boy.

I guess this is how you would use the word "hotel"...........

"I did this girl and the hotel every she knew"

Nov 16 - 11:39 AM

Chris Eaton

Chris Eaton

Stephanie Mayer is a "writer" only if you're using a very generous definition of the term. This stuff is not something that will stand the test of time as quality work.

It's just lowest common denominator pop dreck written at a fourth grade level, nothing more.

Nov 16 - 11:58 AM

wazir m.

wazir muhammad

did you seriously compare lord of the rings and harry potter, some of the best books of our time, to twilight?

you are entitled to you're opinion, but i feel that you should know you're opinion is wrong

Nov 16 - 12:08 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

"Stephenie Mayer are an genious writer!" Are you fucking serious? You gotta be trollin', otherwise this might be the most unintentionally hilarious comment I think I've ever read.

Nov 16 - 03:26 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Stephanie Meyer is a horrible writer, not as bad as Paolini, but horrible. I'll credit her for making something that actually became over the top popular with fans & haters, but she should learn to actually write something well worth reading, I couldn't even get passed the last Twilight book not only because of how bad it was written, but of how fucking creepy it was getting. Same goes for The Host book of her, so many big words, & I didn't even get past page 80!!!

Nov 16 - 06:07 PM

Ken

Kenneth W.

How does one go about eating a book once, let alone repeatedly?

Nov 16 - 07:22 PM

DrainBamaged84

Molly Fontera

I'll give her credit for making a story that's enough to rake in cash, but i would never compare her to literary geniuses.
I'm sorry but its quite clear that she has very little to no experience in creative writing and usage of proper vocabulary.
Only on the basis that she often uses words that are completely out of context. I seriously wonder how often she looked at a thesaurus..

Nov 20 - 02:33 PM

Denis R.

Denis Robert

Why would you be surprised by this? Twilight is a Mormon allegory, by an active, and pretty rabid, member of the Mormon Church. And mormons, as a whole, aren't really down with all that women's lib stuff...

Nov 16 - 10:29 AM

Zenobia Joyner

Zenobia Joyner

everything you said is true. but that's not why i watch it. but i would still wish to find the love of my life anyway.

Nov 16 - 03:03 PM

Kenneth Elliott

Kenneth Elliott

rada 1 s.? if you think Twilight disrespects women so much, then stop watching Spiderman, Iron Man, Dark Knight, and every other major blockbuster where women are the slaves to man.

As for the author to this review, having no plot sounds a lot like most Hollywood trash that came out this year. the only difference is that this one actually has a female in a central role, hence the bad talk and bashing.

Nov 16 - 10:14 PM

Holly Bushman

Holly Bushman

How are women slaves to men in Spiderman, Dark Knight and Iron Man? Pepper Potts, Mary Jane Watson, and Rachael Dawes are all full developed, strong characters who stand up to the men they love and don't go catatonic without them.

Mar 24 - 09:07 PM

v-alexander-the-great

victor alexander

No climax? Poor Bella. All that abstinence for nothing.

Nov 16 - 11:18 AM

Rada1 s.

Rada1 sportsnet

LOL, Edward is a 127 year old virgin.

Nov 16 - 11:58 AM

BeckyD

Becky sacco

Guilty as charged.....I will be handing over my hard earned money several times.

Nov 16 - 11:26 AM

Rada1 s.

Rada1 sportsnet

A fool and her money are soon parted.

Nov 16 - 11:43 AM

Sharron Riddle Houdek

Sharron Riddle Houdek

I will also be handing over my hard earned money, and so will three generations of my family. I have plenty of self respect, and a pretty huge ego. I am a woman with an excellent career, a husband who cooks better than I do (and way more often) and yet I enjoy this series immensely. This is my opinion, and I have every right to it. What makes your opinion more relevant than mine? It's fiction, a love story. This is a modern version of Romeo and Juliet. Is it wrong to be madly, deeply in love? Maybe that's what's wrong with the world. People are so narcissistic that they believe to love another as much as they love themselves is a sickness rather than an enlightenment.

Nov 16 - 05:05 PM

Ashraf Ahmed

Ashraf Ahmed

Sharron R, although I love to hear people saying bad things about twilight series, I loved your justification. I just wish that you found your love for a different and better love story, such as "The Great Gatsby"( maybe you do). Twilight just does not worth it. This is just my opinion though.

Nov 16 - 07:10 PM

Sharron Riddle Houdek

Sharron Riddle Houdek

Ashraf A, I love many books. Many, many. So many, we built a second bookshelf in our bedroom, I have stacks of books on my nightstand. I love hobbits, and most any book written by Anne Rice, Koontz & King. I am a "fantasy" wired reader, so I preferred Pride, Prejudice & Zombies over the original Austen version, but I've read all the classics. Twilight is just a small star in my shiny universe of vampire books. (Please forgive my snarky Twilight humor, Anne Rice)

Nov 17 - 06:47 PM

2d colorblind

2d Colorblind

No disrespect M'am just... whom do you actually love? Assuming that straight male population don't seem exited to be true-loved by a Twi-hard.

Nov 16 - 09:24 PM

Sharron Riddle Houdek

Sharron Riddle Houdek

2d Colorblind, that is the beauty of unconditional love. My husband may not like the series, but he doesn't base the total sum of our relationship on my liking a book/movie series. Now that would be seriously shallow and closed minded. Twilight is not who I am, it is one very small facet of the very diverse and talented woman he married.

Nov 17 - 06:41 PM

Bryan Ferry

Mathias Grieve

What else can be expected from a book series so full of inane dialogue, horrendously cliched plot devices, terribly stupid characters and half baked monster explanations as to be considered more a fanfic than true books.. No, scratch that, I've read better fanfics..

Truly the Twilight fad is proof there is no god, for if god existed, he would have shown Stephanie Meyer golden plates in a hat that explained what an unbelievably stupid idea these books were..

Nov 16 - 06:08 PM

1001001

1001 001

And you know this how?

Nov 16 - 09:32 PM

Bryan Ferry

Mathias Grieve

Because I watched the rifftrax of all of them.. otherwise I never would have touched em...

Here's the link in case anyone wanted to watch the MST3K guys rip the Twilight saga a new A$$hole :)

Nov 17 - 04:38 PM

1001001

1001 001

You people remind me of the anti-Michael Bay nuts! They hate him and all of his movies, yet they keep watching all of his movies. I'll bet 99% of you highfalutin film connoisseurs have seen all three of the previous Twilight movies and will spend 2 hours of your lives watching this one also. You'll be nice and prepared when you pretentious D-Bags come here to trash Part 2!

Nov 16 - 09:44 PM

Kenneth Elliott

Kenneth Elliott

no 1001001, the difference between Twilight and Michael Bay is that Michael Bay gets all the slobbering, macho tech-savvy fanboys, and these fanboys seem to rule Hollywood. Those deplorable "Transformers" films, for exmple, are suddenly acceptable and worth mentioning in conversation. it has no plot, no quality control, but hey, it's got action, big guns, and hot women, so it must be worth our time and money!

In this society, dick flicks = acceptance, whether the films are as bad as Twilight or not.

Nov 16 - 10:23 PM

1001001

1001 001

Kenneth, the director doesn't determine if a film is worth your money, the box office does. The first Transformers made a billion dollars in revenue from DVD and box office. That tells a studio that the movie was accepted by the public. How do you know that all of the Transformers movies were deplorable? Did someone force you to watch them all? Just because a movie is made doesn't mean you have to go see it!

Nov 17 - 03:47 PM

Sharron Riddle Houdek

Sharron Riddle Houdek

Well said, 1001001. These people are strangely passionate in their hatred. Does not bode well for the whole tolerance movement, now does it? Or the human race in general. "Let's show the world how cool/righteous/classy/smart/tough/bad ass we are by hatefully trashing____(fill in the blank)" Any hate is bad hate. Shame on all of you. You all need to go volunteer in a homeless shelter or a pediatric cancer unit. Learn what the important issues are. There are waaaaaay more significant things to waste all that pent up hate fighting against, like poverty and disease.

Nov 17 - 07:01 PM

David Kaldor

David Kaldor

>Sharron

I hate the Holocaust. Is that bad hate?

Nov 19 - 03:13 PM