Critic Review - Detroit News

There are a few reasons The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn -- Part 1 is probably the best of the Twilight films.

November 18, 2011 Full Review Source: Detroit News | Comments (65)
Detroit News
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Mr. Dr.

Mr. Dr.

Dear Hom Hong, i hate you- i hate you so much- tell me whats wrong with this sentence (As vampire- human weddings go, Bella's is a success. First off, none of the guests is eaten, so that's a plus.) first of all- it should be...none of the guests ARE eaten- its ARE eaten you idiot- i cant believe you get paid to write! your grammar is so BAD! holy crap- i just cant believe this- i couldnt even finish the review- you should be fired- really- you should quit your job- ok- now thats out of the way- second- you need to turn in your man card- because its been revoked-

Nov 18 - 12:53 PM

Peter Helff

Peter Helff

How do you defend an argument by restating the same thing the writer you're attacking wrote? And it's "it's," not "its."

Nov 18 - 03:35 PM

Mr. Dr.

Mr. Dr.

thank you very much lady- you must be a mean english teacher i hate you too-

Nov 18 - 06:26 PM

Jamie Amaral

Jamie Amaral

"you must be a mean english teacher i hate you too-" --I lol'd at this

Nov 19 - 05:29 AM

Dan Ganser

Dan Ganser

Your grammar is terrible. Just like this movie.

Nov 23 - 10:52 AM

almightygozar

Darrell Kay

Seriously, you're jumping on the guy for criticizing your grammar right after you did the SAME THING?! Look up the phrase "pot calling the kettle black."

Nov 30 - 04:43 PM

You need an editor

Jonathan Hart

Pretty sure he's just telling you that if your grammar is even worse than the person you're criticizing, you probably shouldn't be criticizing him.

Nov 20 - 11:50 PM

Alyssa Motylinski

Alyssa Motylinski

Actually, technically "none of the guests is eaten" can be considered grammatically correct, if "none" is a singular pronoun. And it can be. I don't mean to incite another flame war, but you really shouldn't criticize someone else's grammar when your own grammar is, to say the least, less than competent.

Jan 2 - 04:52 PM

Nelson Verdejo

Nelson Verdejo

obviously the "its" is just a common blog typo missing a grammar mark ... that is much different than saying "none of the guests is eaten" which is just bad english...

Mar 4 - 07:55 AM

Projected Realities

Erik Hitechew

Actually, I think both of those might work.

If we rephrase the sentence as "[not one] of the guests is eaten," it works just fine.

Nov 18 - 03:36 PM

Chris Miller

Chris Miller

Wow, way to miss the point.

Nov 18 - 05:43 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Forget the grammar, this dude liked Twilight. Revoke his man card, pronto!

Nov 19 - 03:25 PM

Rob Standard

Rob Standard

You give Rotten Tomato commentators a bad name. None of your grammatical corrections is correct. Hope you get the message.

Nov 21 - 12:39 PM

Myra Arellano

Myra Arellano

Do you think it's possible that someone paid him to give Breaking dawn 1 a good review? or is just that critics are afraid to say that oscar nominated actors, actresses and in this case directors like Bill Condon can make crappy jobs?

Mar 9 - 11:51 PM

Carlos Gutierrez

Carlos Gutierrez

What is a "man card?" Do some guys really need cards to remind them that they're men? Most of us have a penis, but if you need a card, then I guess that says a lot about you.

Nov 22 - 10:11 AM

Nelson Verdejo

Nelson Verdejo

lol good one

Mar 4 - 08:00 AM

Ken Gabisan

Ken Gabisan

whatever....

Dec 16 - 10:00 PM

Mike Koutelos

Mike Koutelos

My God, SHUT UP. Trust me, I hate this film too, I really do, but to go off on a TYPO? Saying that you "hate him so much" because he use "is" instead of "are". There are still people dying from that fucking famine in Somalia. Be more considerate.

Jan 13 - 09:26 PM

Nelson Verdejo

Nelson Verdejo

you also forgot to mention something else that was wrong with this stupid critics sentence that you quoted ... "As vampire-human weddings go, Bella's is a success.." -- this guy is dumb for even making that statement because when in reality do vampire-human weddings even take place? did i miss something? do vampires currently exist in our world to make such a statement that Bella's wedding is a success in comparison with OTHER vampire-human weddings??? this critic is such an idiot ... he must have forgotten that in this world vampires dont exist and if they did, they wouldn't be so dumbed down to sappy soap opera storybook lifestyles such as the one portrayed in this wretched series .. vampires wouldn't marry humans, they would feed on them and humans in turn will probably man up against them and there would be a war of humans vs. beasts such as portrayed in the much better BLADE series.

Mar 4 - 07:58 AM

Pee M.

Pee Murz

who cares about the english you liberal fags.

Nov 18 - 09:24 PM

Rob Standard

Rob Standard

Your existence provides proof that bigotry and illiteracy often go hand-in-hand.

Nov 21 - 12:40 PM

Lisa Bachmeier

Lisa Bachmeier

Previous posters who are having a bad day (or life) aside, I want to thank you for having the B8lls to appreciate this flick for what it is. LOVED IT!

Nov 19 - 12:47 AM

Rob Standard

Rob Standard

Does not take much for a drooling idiot to go out and have a grand day circumstances notwithstanding. Welcome to your bliss you ignoramus.

Nov 21 - 12:42 PM

Katy Samuel

Katy Samuel

excuse me, you must have never read the books and have never understood the story line. Its about a couple falling in love and yea so they have sex. they are married and that is okay. at least this movie is teaching the moral of sex after marriage and how a marriage can have its faults, no matter what. and adding to this, the werewolves in the books, always had clothes with them when they changed. they were tied around their feet and the vampires' hairstyles can change, they just don't change them. read up before comparing to the book.

Nov 19 - 05:50 AM

Mr. Dr.

Mr. Dr.

your a girl- your dumb

Nov 19 - 07:48 AM

zinc alloy

zinc alloy

it's you're a girl....not your....and you want to lecture on grammar....lol

Nov 19 - 08:02 AM

Mr. Dr.

Mr. Dr.

i hardly call my rambling a lecture-

Nov 19 - 12:16 PM

David Kaldor

David Kaldor

So you admit you were rambling?

Nov 19 - 02:41 PM

Mr. Dr.

Mr. Dr.

so- i always admit to rambling when alcohol is involved- have you even seen the film- i have- by movie standards alone makes this film a terrible movie- if i hadnt known anything about the series when going into seeing this- i would of wanted my money back- because nothing happens-really- the score is terrible- there are way to many montages- the fit every song on the soundtrack into the actual film itself- the actors are boring- except the father- who is the only character you feel for- you never through out the whole series get a sense of passion and desire between the two main characters- and it still stands for this film-

Nov 20 - 05:48 PM

You need an editor

Jonathan Hart

Yes, I agree with you- the movie, I'm sure, is terrible. You, however, are an idiot. Just stop. For the love of god.

Nov 20 - 11:52 PM

Heather Bill

Heather Bill

congratulations on being crowned king "Troll". Idiot...

Mar 11 - 03:16 PM

Cham Ferguson

Cham Ferguson

Who gives a crap about the books. This is a movie not a book.

Nov 19 - 10:41 AM

Shaun Hopkins

Shaun Hopkins

Who gives a crap about Twilight films, for that matter? Aside from pre-pubescent girls and anyone willing to check their brain at the door and enjoy two hours of sparkly vampire romance. Where are the real vampire films when we need them? Bela must be rolling over in his grave.

Nov 19 - 02:20 PM

Justus Bearden

Justus Bearden

I can hear him now. "THIS IS WORSE THAN WHEN I WORKED WITH ED WOOD!"

Nov 19 - 03:19 PM

David Kaldor

David Kaldor

If Twilight is teaching anything, it's that you can drop your entire life for a guy you barely know WHILE YOU'RE IN HIGH SCHOOL the moment you meet him because he will whisk you away to a fantasy land and make you a vampire.

I don't know about you, but that's not exactly the best female role model.

Nov 19 - 02:44 PM

Projected Realities

Erik Hitechew

I will agree with you to a point -- Bella and Edward do wait until marriage -- but at the same time, Bella seems to be *completely* consumed by her [almost purely physical] affections for Edward and to have no sense of identity outside of him. Her every move seems calculated to fulfill her own desires instead of considering what is best for her, Edward, or anyone else around her, including listening to the wishes of some of her vampire friends, who want her to think twice before going down a road they would not have chosen.

In other words, Bella is a "technical virgin," but I can hardly think of a single morally admirable thing she does in any of the books as far as the central 'romance' goes. She may not have had sex outside of marriage, as you say, but that doesn't mean I don't think she's been driven by it since the start of the series.

Nov 20 - 10:16 PM

Allwell-Brown Sotonye

Allwell-Brown Sotonye

Bella is 18yrs old. Not hard to be a virgin at 18. No right thinking person would like this movie.

Nov 21 - 10:18 AM

Indrani DasGupta

Indrani DasGupta

@dracosummoner:

"...Bella seems to be *completely* consumed by her [almost purely physical] affections for Edward and to have no sense of identity outside of him. Her every move seems calculated to fulfill her own desires..."

Uhh, a tad contradictory, aren't you? How does a woman so consumed by *another* execute her every move calculated to fulfill her *own* desires?

LOL.

Nov 24 - 10:02 PM

Rob Standard

Rob Standard

And here is an American idiot who finds an abstinence sermon in this movie. I wonder if your pointy-hatted Pope or whoever else would sign up to that.

Nov 21 - 12:45 PM

Hector Gonzalez

Hector Gonzalez

ummm not quite... what moral values would "completely leave one's personality, desires and family" for a stupid teenage boy friend teach?

Dec 6 - 11:11 PM

Justus Bearden

Justus Bearden

No you fucking idiot, how can an old man like shit made for little girls?

Nov 19 - 03:18 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Seriously, though....

Nov 19 - 03:24 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

If you're a guy and rated this fresh you need to be castrated.

Nov 19 - 03:23 PM

Lisa Pereira La Croix

Lisa Pereira La Croix

I am a big fan, but I think the edited too much out. Eg wedding, honeymoon, birth. It could have been better..
Was expecting more, disappointed.

Nov 19 - 06:22 PM

You need an editor

Jonathan Hart

What- You weren't expecting an episode of 16 And Pregnant with werewolves?

Nov 20 - 11:56 PM

Shane Payne

Shane Payne

Big money grab for producers living off Twilight name from the pass series.

Basically too long and slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I mention slow? Intensely slow. Two hours was not needed to create this lackluster shallow movie.

Here is the movie in a nutshell: *****SPOILER ALERT***** Marriage and banging=50% pregnancy=45% and 5% action (yea you wait for what feels like 1hr into the movie for anything exciting to happen). Yep that was whole story line.

Luckily I got the tickets for free or I would have feel more disappointed paying to see this crap.

By the way I thought the other series were actually good and disagree with the critics in the past; however, I think the critics are right on this one.

Nov 20 - 07:09 PM

You need an editor

Jonathan Hart

Dude, are you spamming this comment in every review up here? Come original.

Nov 20 - 11:57 PM

Jona Sanchez

Jona Sanchez

One tries to understand, what kind of movie this man went to see? Because I didn't watch the same as him. To me, this movie was bad, slow and horribly acted...not to mention boring...

I did laugh in some scenes (because of the bad acting by Bella, and "NO" I don't know the name of the Actress. I don't like her acting, ERGO, I don't care who she is...)

Anyhow, most of the time I try to make the best of a movie by looking the good things in it. But, since the first one of this franchise, I coulnd't.

So, TOM, your LONG career (if we can call it like that) as come to an end. This was the worst of your critics in all time...

PS: excuse the bad grammar, and the bad sintaxis. I'm an Argentinian, and this isn't my native languague, so sometimes I have some errors on my ortography. SORRY...:D.

Nov 22 - 08:34 AM

Brendan Raysor

Brendan Raysor

You're a disgrace to man.

Nov 22 - 05:32 PM

Sue Marvin

Sue Marvin

what the hell is wrong with the film makers in hollywood making blood, battles and demons then make golden compass 2 and 3 it the same thing demons no blood from golden compass

Dec 3 - 10:12 AM

Hector Gonzalez

Hector Gonzalez

please... refrain yourself from touching the keyboard

Dec 6 - 11:09 PM

Ken Gabisan

Ken Gabisan

There's nothing wrong with the film makes, miss.
It's just business for them through entertainment.

Dec 16 - 10:06 PM

Sue Marvin

Sue Marvin

when the church sould be bashing twillght of killing demons

Dec 3 - 10:15 AM

Henry Hull H.

Henry Hull Hull

No offense but you are not a man.

Dec 5 - 06:25 PM

Hector Gonzalez

Hector Gonzalez

yes, love it, embrace it and then remember what a really good film is. this is not a good film, it might be the best in the series but it's like arguing on which type of cancer is better. both the film series and the book series are dim, unimaginative and awfully written.
-sorry if my grammar isn't perfect, english is not my native language.

Dec 6 - 07:25 AM

Amanda Larriuz

Amanda Larriuz

I think its hilarious that people who don't like this movie really love to dissect every aspect of it, then go crazy and insult people who love it for what it is, a romance movie!! You all are really stupid for putting so much effort into something that *apparently* means so little to you.

Dec 7 - 06:32 PM

Ken Gabisan

Ken Gabisan

there's nothing hilarious about people giving negative critics about the movie due to the fact people will always reveal their own opinions

Dec 16 - 10:05 PM