Box Office Guru Wrapup: Twilight Destroys the Competition

Summary

This weekend, the wedding of the year attracted Bella and Edward fans around the world as the highly anticipated vampire sequel The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Pt. 1 crushed the competition across the globe debuting at number one. Not as warmly received in their return were the animated penguins of Happy Feet Two which opened in second place with only half the debut of its predecessor ahead of what will be a very competitive holiday season for kidpics. George Clooney's The Decendants rocked the specialty box office and even made it into the top ten despite playing in very few theaters. Overall, Twilight led the marketplace to a healthy improvement over last year which is quite a statement given that a new Harry Potter film launched at that time. Back to Article

Comments

Justin D.

Justin D.

Nothing says epic finale like a picture of the two leads...*pauses for dramatic effect*...playing chess while grinning like idiots. Still I knew this movie would make shit tons of money. Twilight fans will part w/ their money just to see Kristen and Robb stare into the camera for 2 1/2 hours.

Nov 20 - 07:07 PM

misterkyle1901

kyle T

One of the most important moments in Shakespeare's The Tempest is the scene where Ferdinand and Miranda are playing chess. Good Literature vs. not-even-close to literature. Random connection, Ferdinand promises Prospero that there shall be no funny business (SEX) until after he and Miranda are wed... the Chess scene has Miranda allowing Ferdinand to win, completely succumbing to his will (as she does earlier when she vows to be his servant), despite the fact that she isn't powerless. Bella, too, becomes a slave to Edward in the same manner. I could go on with the comparison. Guess who is an unoriginal hack shit writer who definitely read The Tempest (among many other famous--and basic-- works of literature) and essentially created a shallow amalgamation that she somehow mistook for some genius that had been hiding out in her subconscious, slowly building up inside her dreams until she had no other choice but to spill it out onto Microsoft word using the dullest use of language since the "I'm running away cos you're all meanies" letter I wrote when I was four? Whatever the crap that lady's name is who wrote this drivel. And Yes, I very recently had a term paper due on The Tempest, so don't think I'm some pretentious asshole. Thought, at the moment, I might be.

Nov 21 - 03:51 AM

Justin D.

Justin D.

Comparing a scene from Stephenie Meyer's literary bowel movement to one from Shakespeare's play is one of the greatest insults to literature ever (somewhere the Bard is rolling over in his grave lol). Anyway, that's not what I was saying in my comment. The Harry Potter series split its finale into two parts because there was a lot of information in the last book to be compressed into a single film. Even when The Deathly Hallows part-1 slowed down, the sense of foreboding was still there because every event was building up to the epic final battle between the forces of good and the forces of evil. What exactly does the above image say Breaking Dawn Part-1 is building up to? If you answered boredom then you are correct. This image sums up the Twilight series as a whole. It's a saga about nothing; the romance between a dependent cipher and her possessive fairy posing as a vampire.

Nov 21 - 08:25 AM

Hayes M.

Hayes Medina

For the significance of the chess board, there is none. It's just a cover from one of the books. Something for the fans to notice and gasp at. Not a really a smooth or smartly veiled Easter egg. How do I know this? I have a mom and younger sister. I feel kinda like Clarice from Silence of the Lambs getting into the head of sick serial killer and trying to understand his motives.

Nov 21 - 11:41 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Actually, there was some significance to the chess cover art of the book, even though chess is never brought up in the book. The pawn moving up the board to become a queen was a reference to the transformation that occurs to Bella in the novel, and how unlike previous climaxes in the series, she becomes a crucial part in the finale, rather than just an observer (I'm just quoting wikipedia on that, it's not like I personally pay much attention to the covers of books)

Nov 21 - 12:43 PM

misterkyle1901

kyle T

Heyy now, I wasn't comparing them... I was pointing out how unoriginal it was... And I was getting a good rant at something that deserves a helluva lot more...

Nov 21 - 03:27 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

You were clear for anyone who actually read it.

Nov 21 - 04:06 PM

Justin D.

Justin D.

@ misterkyle1901 - Sorry if it looked like I was bashing your rant. I definitely wasn't as it was appreciated.

Nov 22 - 10:16 AM

King Crunk

No surprise that Breaking Dawn destroyed everything in sight. Thank God this franchise will be dead next year.

This weekend will be interesting with three new movies opening, all geared toward a younger audience, and all recieving strong early reviews. I hate to say it, but I think Scorsese is going to be the loser and Hugo will not do very well, while Arthur Christmas will do mediocre at the box-office (at least in the States, it'll probably do much better in Europe), and The Muppets will be the only one that has a chance at dethroning Breaking Dawn, which I hope it does, but am not 100% confident it will.

Nov 20 - 07:12 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

I'm confident Muppets will dethrone Twilight because it will be Thanksgiving weekend and families will want something more wholesome than graphic birth scenes.

Nov 20 - 07:15 PM

King Crunk

The Twilight movies tend to crumble after opening weekend, so I'm hoping The Muppets will take it to town.

Nov 21 - 10:26 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Hugo" will not beat "Muppets", but I hope it can handle "Arthur" since they're in competitive 3D price ranges. The kids are going to "Muppets". The college kids are probably going to "Muppets". Parents too snooty for Muppets will choose "Hugo" (along with snooty Melies fans like ME!). "Arthur" who now?

Nov 20 - 10:33 PM

King Crunk

I think Hugo's fighting an uphill battle. I already mentioned in my reply to King S. how The Muppets are clearly defined as to what they are and what can be expected from the film, but Hugo has not really done a good job of conveying what it is about or trying to achieve in the marketing materials. It is more than likely the more complex of the two, which is why the marketing is a little fuzzy and harder to sell. Also, the title is pretty bland. I do not see why they did not keep the book's title, The Invention of Hugo Cabret; it at least has some sort of mystery to it. Either way, I am looking forward to both of them, as there are numerous reviews up now for both movies that have the phrase "one of the best movies of the year" in them.

Nov 21 - 10:31 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Apparently, they're reducing the amount of theaters showing Hugo next week. The studio probably wants to avoid competetion with The Muppets and Arthur Christmas. They're probably banking on word of mouth to help propell it later on, as well as recognition at the award shows (I'm not sure why they even moved it up to thanksgiving weekend in the first place. I mean sure that's a perfect time to release a family movie, but three family movies on the same weekend?) On a side note, just look at the reviews for next weeks films. All three of the wide releases are earning over 90% positive reviews so far. Granted, it's still early, but given how enthusiastic they've been over Hugo and The Muppets I doubt their ratings are going to sink below 90% (Arthur Christmas I'm not so sure, as it's average rating is a little low, with most critics calling it good not great) I'm particularly pleased with Hugo's early reviews, given how everyone seemed to act as if Scorsese was selling out by making a family film, as if blood and swearing were the only things going for his earlier films.

Nov 21 - 09:00 AM

King Crunk

I agree that I am very pleased with what critics are saying about Hugo thus far. I'm also surprised the 3D is getting pretty good remarks as well. I think the problem it is going to have is that none of the TV spots really get across what it is about or what it is supposed to be, and parents will know what to expect from The Muppets based on legacy, making the choice easy as to which one to see.

Nov 21 - 10:25 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Yeah, I don't think Hugo will open big, which is why I think they made a wise decision opening it in a smaller number of theaters, thus allowing word of mouth to catch on, because this is the kind of film that could show great legs. Reviews have been calling it a film that adults will love even more than kids, while James Cameron is calling it a best picture contender. He also said the film makes the best use of 3-d yet, and that's saying something, given how critical he usually is of the way films use 3-d.

Nov 21 - 11:33 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I think "Hugo"'s expected audience are those (kids and adults) who would have the curiousity to do a little research into what the film is about. It is not trying to market itself to 'lowest common denominator' broad audience, and like I said last week, I think it's unfair to expect every film to have that kind of broad appeal even though those films (Twilight, Zookeeper, Transformers) usually end up making more money. Between the appeal of curious Scorsese fans, fans of the book, fans of fantasy, and awards-season appeal, I think it will make a profit even if it is modest. I have my own criterea, based on being Scorsese's first 3D and to see what is his tribute to Melies, the great French silent filmmaker and father of FX and the fantasy genre.

Nov 21 - 12:04 PM

King  S.

King Simba

A modest performance isn't going to be enough for Hugo, given that it's production budget is at a massive 170 mil. This film is going to have to have broad appeal in order to make a profit. Fortunately, unlike say The Smurfs, Scorsese doesn't feel the need to dumb his film down to make it more appealing.

Nov 21 - 12:35 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

So, by 'modest', I mean a hopeful take, domestic and global, of 200 million. I'm hoping for a stronger global market. All you math addicts will no doubt find that ultimately a failure, but as I said, I more concerned with the success of the material.

Nov 21 - 01:41 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I'm gonna side with Janson here, I think Hugo is going to surprise a lot of people. It kinda reminds me of Avatar when it came out, a big budget 3D film from an extremely name brand director. There were a ton of people worried about Avatar making it's budget back. I don't think it'll bust a Billion simply because of smaller budget for advertising inundation and stronger competition, but I definately think it has the potential to carry it to box office success. A lot of Scorcese movie's do very well for not having any broader commercial appeal than the tag line "directed by Martin Scorcese". This one does, it'll be interesting to see how well it does. Plus in a week animation year I think it has to be the instant contender for the Oscar bump, if it can score a best picture and not just a best animated picture nom it could be huge.

Nov 21 - 04:37 PM

King Crunk

I'm thinking Hugo is either going to be an all around disappiontment financially, or, like Bigbrother said, is going to pull an Avatar and make its profit over the long run, with excellent word of mouth propelling it. I just think its problem is that the TV spots, where most people hear about movies, have been outrageously vague about what the movie is about. I know I keep saying this, but it is crucail to at least get some sort of point across in the marketing materials, and I really think the marketing team has failed Scorsese in this area.

Nov 21 - 05:58 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

When you're right you're right and you Sir are right. They either need to get the point across or make not knowing the point part of a tantalizing mystery. Sort of a PT Barnum, you won't believe your eyes sort of thing. The adverts haven't done either. Like I said though, hopefully Scorcese's name alone and the family friendly brand will be enough to give it someting to build on.

Nov 22 - 11:31 AM

David Tanny

David Tanny

Nov 20 - 07:15 PM

Nov 21 - 10:26 AM

King Crunk

I haven't seen Breaking Dawn, but it seems that most would agree that it is by far the worst, which I find interesting since it easily has the best director.

Nov 20 - 07:16 PM

Slade U.

Slade Uppercut

I made the grave mistake of sitting through Twit-light #1. I will make sure I do not do the same thing for the rest of the series, especially this piece of romantic drool. Personally, I never thought the whole franchise was nothing more than a slap to the face of the Vampire sub-genre.

Irredeemable sludge, the whole lot of it...

Nov 20 - 07:17 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

I actually went so far as to see the 2nd one. Grave mistake. Well, not really, cus me and my friends had a good time with it. I'll admit, while watching them alone is torture, get with some funny people and they can turn into some great laughs.

Nov 20 - 07:21 PM

Isaac

Isaac H

Let us take a moment to review what this (theoretically) means:

HP7P1 Opening Weekend Gross: 125M
HP7P2 Opening Weekend Gross: 169M

TSBDP1 Opening Weekend Gross: 139M
TSBDP2 Opening Weekend Gross: ...

Please oh please do not have Twilight's conclusion best Harry Potter's which garnered 96% on the T-meter. If it does, I will truly have lost faith in this rabid group of tasteless tweens who yarn for the depth-less adventures of boring Bella.

Nov 20 - 07:19 PM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

Harry potter's boost was partly because of going from November to the summer and a sizable 3-D boost. The next Twilight will remain in November and 2-D.

Nov 20 - 07:33 PM

Isaac

Isaac H

I'm saying that it Breaking Dawn Part 2 beats Deathly Hallows Part 2's opening weekend gross, I will have lost faith in humanity.

Nov 20 - 08:46 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

I swore part 2 was going to be in 3D, with the excuse of using it to show Bella's new vampire world. Did they rethink that?

Nov 21 - 05:55 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Don't forget The Dark Knight Rises. If any film is going to break Potter's record, it will be TDKR. Granted, it could very well show a dropoff from the opening weekend of The Dark Knight, given that it lacks a well known villain and Ledger's death, but on the other hand it's following what is widely considered the best superhero of all time, one that had legs that were amazing legs for a blockbuster its size (to put it into perspective, out of the top five films with the biggest opening weekends, not a single one of them made it to 400 mil, except TDK, which made it past 500 mil) while the fact that it's the final film in Nolan's series will further increase hype. Plus history is on the bat's side, as the Batman franchise has broken the opening weekend record a total of four times, more than any other franchise (the only two that failed to break it were Batman and Robin, which looked so bad the trailers alone turned people off, and Batman Begins, which had to deal with reviving the franchise after audiences abondoned it due to Batman and Robin)

Nov 21 - 09:16 AM

misterkyle1901

kyle T

I'm very happy to say this: I think that The Dark Knight Rises chances of matching or surpassing its predecessor will rely on its quality. Its a good thing. I actually don't expect it to beat the opening of the Dark Knight, but it is likely to have strong legs with some good word of mouth and repeat viewings.

Nov 21 - 03:31 PM

Slade U.

Slade Uppercut

Irredeemable sludge, the whole lot of it...

Nov 20 - 07:20 PM

Nov 20 - 08:46 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Nov 21 - 05:55 AM

2d colorblind

2d Colorblind

I want to thank everybody who trolled Breaking Down critics' review comment pages for all what's worth. I really enjoyed all the laughter in these dark times when a poorly made movie steels the limelight just because it's aiming less demanding audiences; and I'm happy for everybody who joined the Laugh Side. Some of you folks are more incredible than The Incredibles!
Besides, the next part of my Breaking Dawn: That Sex Thing blog is about to be posted late this night.

Nov 20 - 07:35 PM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

I've seen the first Twilight, and it was tolerable, but I tried watching New Moon and couldn't stand it. I haven't even bothered with the third one. You think I'm gonna watch number four? Not a chance. But I can't complain about them because my wife likes them. Thank god for Rotten Tomatoes!

Nov 20 - 08:13 PM

Bradley J.

Bradley J

I didn't have much interest in Twilight (obviously) or Happy Feet Two, but I'm super excited about The Muppets, Hugo and Arthur Christmas! In seeing them all and I think they are all gonna be well-received!

Nov 20 - 08:22 PM

Isaac

Isaac H

Nov 20 - 08:46 PM

Bye bye

Steven Bailey

On a side note, K-Stew looks so yummy in that pic.

Nov 20 - 08:48 PM

Nik S.

Nik Summers

yes she does. and, as a result, i forgive her her twilight transgressions.

Nov 21 - 08:08 AM

ballermat982

ballermat 982

Wow for only being released in 29 theaters, the descendants did amazing! can't wait to see that film.

Nov 20 - 09:01 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Didn't intend a TDK reference, but I applaud your style.

Nov 20 - 10:06 PM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

Hahahahah good job sir!

Nov 21 - 04:29 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Twi-what now?

Nov 20 - 10:24 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday