97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Twist of Faith Reviews

Alec B

April 28, 2011
It works as a companion to the horrifying documentary 'Deliver Us From Evil'. That film, while it dealt with the emotional toll it took on families and their personal rage at those responsible, was more about the environment in the Catholic Church that allowed this type of rampant abuse to occur and remain secret for so long. 'Twist of Faith' is entirely about the personal cost of sexual abuse on the victims. It never goes away, and its arguable that it may never really get better. The toll it takes on this mans family life, his sexual relationship with his wife, his interaction with other people, his religious faith, and every day moments is astronomical. Director Kirby Dick wisely keeps the focus on the people and lets them talk and tell the story. Its unbelievably sad and infuriating that this Priest could destroy so many lives . . . and not just those he abused but the loved ones of the victims as well.
October 24, 2013
Kirby Dick brings light to a very serious issue. Overall I think it was a bit narrow and could have featured a wider array of criminals rather than focus on the story of one and his victim.
April 29, 2011
I really like that they made a documentary about this, because this is a topic that needs to be talked about. However, the documentary itself didn't really answer any of my questions, was put together in a somewhat disjointed matter, didn't tell any sort of coherent story or create a solid enough atmosphere, and the ending was an abrupt transition away from what they were trying to say at the beginning. Obviously with a documentary you can't craft an ending the way you can in fiction, but it felt like the entire thing was dropped but they pretended it wasn't. Disappointing, because I was fascinated by the subject material.
August 20, 2011
The worst thing about glass houses is the lack of privacy.
bladerunner112
January 27, 2007
Twist of Faith is an HBO documentary about a man's recovery from sexual abuse perpetrated by his childhood priest. The doc explores how the Catholic church continues to re-abuse by refusing to take responsibility for the actions of their clergy. Further, Twist of Faith shows how spouses and children become colaterally injured by the abuse. In the end, this documentary is about the painful and awkward recovery of a troubled man. From my perspective we see how difficult this sort of process becomes when we try and make sense of our traumas on our own.