Twixt - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Twixt Reviews

August 1, 2012
Francis, I admire you very much, but this movie sucks.
½ June 16, 2012
Having crafted such classics as "The Godfather parts I & II", "The Conversation" and "Apocalypse Now", director Francis Ford Coppola was, rightly, considered one the heavyweights of cinema. However, he fell on hard times financially and most of his recent film's have shown a shadow of his former self and have had people scratching their heads as to how someone so prominent could deliver such nonsense.
Hall Baltimore (Val Kilmer) was once a successful writer. His career has nosedived and he struggles to produce the material anymore. He comes to a small town during a book tour, and becomes involved in the murder investigation of a young girl. In a dream, he is approached by writer Edgar Allen Poe (Ben Chaplin) and a youthful ghost named V (Elle Fanning) who is in some way connected to a local murder. Both inform him of the details but the connection to the murder is unclear.
As this film opens we are given a growling narration from Tom Waits about a small American town and an introduction to it's inhabitants and our protagonist. The first thing that strikes you is Coppola's perfectly refined atmosphere and obvious ability in framing a picture. Quite simply, the film is marvellously shot. The angles with the camera are impressively positioned and use of light and colour are sumptuous. At one point he introduces a monochromatic approach that further adds to the creepy ambience. From very early on, Coppola's talent is still apparent but where he struggles, is in a particularly poor script. It comes across as an amateur horror and on this front, you wouldn't think for a second that it was Coppola behind it. However, despite the the bad writing, it's clear that this is a very personal project for the director; the idea originated from a dream he once had, which reflects in the story itself and the actual death of his son (Gian-Carlo Coppola) in a speedboat accident also has a heavy influence. The very premise, consisting of a writer in rapid decline also mirrors the director's similar creative downfall. At one point, our lead character is asked the question "how does it feel to the bargain basement Stephen King?" and that's exactly the feeling that this film gives off - a bargain basement horror. Whether this was Coppola's intention is debatable but it still doesn't forgive the muddled unravelling of the story. All this being said, I still found myself persevering with it.
This left me with very mixed thoughts. One the one hand, it struck me as an absolute low-budget turkey but on the other, it intrigued me enough to keep watching. If anything, just see what path the once great director is now treading.

To look into another of Coppola's recent efforts, my next stop will be his 2009 film "Tetro".
½ April 16, 2012
It is painful to see Coppola indulging himself in this personal nonsense, an incoherent mess that doesn't know if it wants to be an unscary gothic horror story, an overstylized nightmare or an unfunny comedy. It is only bland, pointless and, even worse, sleep-inducing.
Harlequin68
May 27, 2015
On his not quite standing room book signing tour, Hall Baltimore(Val Kilmer) comes across a town that is so small that it does not have a bookstore but does have a giant clock with seven faces. So, while signing books in a hardware store, he encounters an actual fan, Sheriff Bobby LaGrange(Bruce Dern) who shows him the latest body in the morgue. But what Hall is even more interested in is a drink, being drawn to a bar where Edgar Allan Poe(Ben Chaplin) used to hang out.

To be honest, "Twixt" does not really work as horror, mystery or personal filmmaking, as Francis Ford Coppola takes a step back artistically in his late period. But that's not to say there is nothing of interest here, as there is just enough eccentricity and weirdness to at least merit a look.
½ August 23, 2013
Its got all of the elements to make a successful quirky, horror comedy but Coppola never really brings it all home. I think if more of the film was like the Poe dream sequences (interesting writing and a unique visual style), I would have liked this more.
July 20, 2012
This is directed by Coppola??? Are you sure??
It has some good use of set design and art work, some of the shots were beautiful, but the acting destroyed the film. Only watch it because I saw Coppola being the director of this film, but it was simply awful, like a really badly made B-movie, not even an independent film. All you have to do to make this film is to find a bunch of random line readers then put them in a small town.
March 25, 2014
This horror movie from Francis Ford Coppola is garbage. It looks like it was shot by someone fresh out of film school, everything visually looks cheap. Then the acting is unbelievably bad. Val Kilmer seems lost, with confused delivery and a random scene in which he shows off his talent for vocal mimicry...which is really out of place. The rest of the cast is either stiff or completely misused. The plot has some minor interesting elements, but they are all poorly executed. How did the man who made "Apocalypse Now" come to make this trite garbage? A really bad film.
September 28, 2013
I was excited to see Francis Ford Coppola direct a horror film, and I was even more excited when the film opened with Tom Waits doing voice-over narration. Unfortunately, the film was pretty much a letdown from there on out. Coppola's attempt at using black and white to achieve a Gothic vibe just feels silly, and the movie never seems to know whether it wants to be a comedy, a drama, or a horror film. It is an interesting but thoroughly confused and disappointing effort.
½ December 16, 2011
This was a twisted story with a fantastic buildup. The ending was a perfect conclusion to this supernatural story.
December 6, 2012
Hall Baltimore is probably in the wrong movie, but it's fun watching him trying to grasp what's happening.
½ June 10, 2012
It's not on the level of Youth Without Youth or Tetro, but it's pretty, dopey fun. Some of the imagery is quite stunning and I think it's definitely meant to be enjoyed in a packed movie theater at midnight.
September 20, 2011
I was pleasantly surprised by this after Coppola's recent experiments. It's a sensual experience. Perfectly good movie despite cynicism critics bring to his movies now because they aren't the Godfather.
October 23, 2015
Excellent visuals, but "Twixt" is too underdeveloped and uninteresting to be even remotely creepy.
July 14, 2015
The only thing more baffling than the bad acting, cheap effects, lack of clear motivation for any of the characters' actions and the unclear plot is the fact that a film plagued by this many problems came from a director as experienced and seemingly talented as Francis Ford Coppola.

4,5/10
½ June 15, 2015
A flimsy, convoluted story that suffers from weak dream sequences & drawn out narrative that makes it near unwatchable
Harlequin68
May 27, 2015

½ May 2, 2015
How does it feel to be a bargain basement Stephen King?

A horror author has a book signing in a small town. He discovers the town has an interesting history that involves a serial killer and a mysterious little girl. The author has visions and the ghosts of the town and the local sheriff tell him an interesting tale that he feels is his next big project. However, as he gets more information he gets more sucked in...maybe too deep.

"You can't change time. Time changes you."

Francis Ford Coppola, director of Bram Stokers Dracula, The Godfather 1-3, Apocalypse Now, The Rainmaker, Jack, Rumble Fish, and The Outsiders, delivers Twixt. The storyline for this picture is terrible and the plot is pathetic. The acting is also awful and the cast delivers Val Kilmer, Bruce Dern, Elle Fanning, Ben Chaplin, Don Novello, and Ryan Simpkins.

"It was a town of those who wanted to be left alone."

Twixt was a movie I came across on Netflix because it was directed by Francis Ford Coppola so I thought it would be worth a viewing. It wasn't. This film has awkward comedy, mixed into a weird horror picture. It was trying to be like Frightners...it just wasn't as good. I recommend skipping this.

"You are the ending you seek."

Grade: D
November 28, 2014
Linda forma de suicidar el legado de Francis Coppola.
Ahora que le pasó?
½ January 19, 2015
Cheesy & Lackluster, But Filmed In Clearlake, California...
½ November 7, 2014
I'm sorry so many people disliked this. Gothic drama is not horror...it's a romantic and somewhat gentle genre. I laughed out loud in some of this as well. It may not have hit the mark perfectly, but it was worth my time.