Two Hands - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Two Hands Reviews

blkbomb
June 20, 2012
The Man: Something that's good can still have a little bit of bad in it, and something that's bad still has a little bit of good.

"It seemed simple. Just deliver the cash."

The only reason I watched this unknown Australian film is because it had the late Heath Ledger. A movie is worth watching just to see him on screen. That's all this movie really is worth though. I just didn't enjoy it. It seemed like it was trying to be smart in the vein of Tarantino, but it came off as an amateurish effort to do so. It isn't unwatchable bad. There's some good acting and the storyline is at least watchable. That's all I can really say good about it though. When a movie isn't as smart as the writer thinks it is; I seldom like it. Showing us the "conclusion" at the start to try to trick us could work, but not when you get to that point too early.

A strip club promoter takes an easy cash delivery job for a gangster. He goes and knocks on the door where he is supposed to drop it off, but no one is there. While he tries to kill time, he loses the money and now must try to avoid the gangster who will surely kill him. A pretty basic plot that has been done before and been done better.

Two Hands is an insignificant Ausie thriller/comedy. Watch it if you are a Ledger completist like me. It isn't a completely awful film, so if you just want to see a movie with Ledger that you haven't seen, give it a look. Just don't expect anything much.
December 13, 2007
Directed by: Gregor Jordan.
Starring: Heath Ledger, Rose Byrne, Bryan Brown, David Field.

<< "Something that's good can still have a little bit of bad in it, and something that's bad still has a little bit of good." >>

The story follows a young australian who wants to do anything that involves using his hands, he just doesn't know what yet. He soon meets a young girl and falls for her, but not before he takes a job for a local gangster and ends up messing it up by losing the money.

Of course the main reason I wanted to finally get this out was because of Heath Ledger. Watching him grow after every performance and following The Dark Knight everywhere it has gone in production, I was shattered to see Heath pass so suddenly and made sure I saw every film he has made...and this one is certainly his step away from the teenage genre.

It is reasonably by the numbers, no doubt about that, man gets into the wrong business, messes up and is on the run from this crowd, all while trying to fix what he has done...but why try and be original when Two Hands has everything else going for it? Gregor Jordan really came out of nowhere with this film. Highly influenced by many gritty crime classics, he has crafted a fast paced, brilliantly quirky and witty thriller that is never bogged down by its formulaic plot, he directs with too much flair to allow that.

Alongside Gregors tight writing and sharp direction is a pair of brilliant performances. Heath started out before this with such teen 'classics' as 10 Things I Hate About You and minor roles on Aussie television, he really stepped out of his pretty boy persona with this role that really showed his star quality...I think intentionally he was wooden for the first 1/3, but the final hour really showed his dedication and control. Bryan Brown is the other who delivers a gritty and quirky performance as the 'gangster', a performance reminisint of Vinnie Jones or Jason Statham in Lock Stock...and I'll be fair and mention Rose Byrne. A brilliant actress now, her performance here is acceptable and shows potential, but is just a tad to weak and over the top.

Two Hands really impressed me. As much as it is the same plot as so many other crime classics, it blasts through with a fast pace, brilliant direction that is both quirky and gritty and some top notch performances. A load of fun...just don't expect a masterpiece.
December 5, 2006
Pando: Give em' ya fucking keys.
Acko: He's not taking my fucking car!
Pando: It's only gonna take twenty minutes, he needs a car, so give em ya fucking keys.
Acko: I just got the gearbox fixed.
Pando: Good, that means it works, now give em ya fucking keys.

Heath Ledger stars in this low budget Australian crime comedy thriller involving some bad sequences of events for a young man seeking something to do with himself.

Ledger is Jimmy, a strip club bouncer in Sydney who tries to get involved with a local big time drug dealer, only to lose the money he was supposed to deliver and forced to delve into the criminal underworld to get it back.

It's a very simple story, that has been clearly influenced by films like Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels. That doesn't mean its not good though. Ledger and Brown, the drug dealer, are very good in their roles. It is Ledger that has to hold this film together, and he does a great job at it, combing his charm, good looks, and good senses to his character.

Its very briskly paced, with some inventive scenes, as well as some subtext involving fate that make this a fun flick.

Pando: You loaded your gun with old fucking bullets you put through the fucking wash?
deano
½ February 4, 2007
Great stylish, plot-twisting crime caper, it was the major breakthrough for Heath Ledger.
Cameron W. Johnson
April 9, 2011
It has its out-of-the-ordinary moments, but is predominantly onbeat. Nevertheless, the film is engaging and shines with some good dialogue, a good soundtrack, strong characters (except for those kids, I hated those kids) and excellent acting, especially from Ledger. Ultimately, "Two Hands" isn't the most original, but remains entertaining and engaging, as well as a solid leading man debut for the late, great Heath Ledger.
Naughtia
½ May 15, 2010
In this movie you get to see Heath Ledger in his early career, he starred in this movie right after big breakthrough in '10 Things I Hate About You'. This movie is, just as Heath himself, Australian and it's very good to see a movie where he speaks with an accent, I've never actually heard him speak with such a strong Australian accent before. Heath Ledger stars as this 19 year old guy who is in debt to a local gangster. The movie was good and had a bit more violence than I had expected. I liked Heath Ledger's part in this movie and I thought he played it very well. Its so sad to think that this talented actor has passed away.
September 17, 2008
Ranging from the cast's diverse appeal to the film's bright cinematography, Two Hands is a breath of fresh air for the Australian film industry.
September 6, 2012
THe only reason anyone might enjoy this vile Debacle is because a much younger heath ledger puts on a conveniently convinving performance as someone attractive.
½ February 8, 2015
What a lucky director to make this small film and get his hands on two actors that would become big stars. This is a small time gang film influenced and similar to a Guy Richie movie without the same style. There are many of these more independent kinds of movies and lots of them are mediocre but this one is solidly in the good category. Just a good story well told with characters you care about, nothing to fancy. Enjoy seeing Heath and Rose before they were huge.
½ January 31, 2015
A good fun flick, Brown & Ledger are excellent, Byrne not that good. A few dead spots but worth a look
½ January 25, 2015
Two Hands is an Australian crime comedy full of energy & crafty wit
½ April 24, 2012
Two Hands is a simple and clever crime film about its effect on Australia's youth accurately and with the special Aussie Touch. It also has a charming performance from young Heath Ledger still in his Australian youth so that altogether the result is great
December 19, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
½ March 31, 2013
A great upstart for the late Heath Ledger's career before he hit Hollywood.
July 5, 2007
I know this was good, but can't remember it too well.
March 24, 2012
Great movie, love Ledger!
Naughtia
½ May 15, 2010
May 25, 2011
This movie has got one of the best bank robbery scenes in a movie..
It is an absolute classic.. It follows the life of Jimmy a Bouncer and boxer
played by Heath Ledger. Jimmy is ultimately trying to get in good with
the gangsters who run Kings Cross in Sydney. He ends up taking a job for them
but it all goes haywire, and ends up in lots of trouble. The gangster crew headed up
magnificently by Bryan Brown (Pando), are both funny and sadistic.. Tom Long and Tony Farrow play excellent parts as Pando's lieutenants. The movie is sort of narrated by Jimmy's dead brother which kind of works but can be a little annoying.. But overall this is a great film, and a great ride, with some very funny scenes.
½ May 16, 2011
Heath Ledger and Rose Byrne before they really made it. They're both good-looking in this but that's about it. BORING. Bryan Brown probably has the best performance.
Cameron W. Johnson