47% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

Two for the Road Reviews

hunterjt13
hunterjt13

May 17, 2014
The film chronicles several journeys in a couple's relationship.
While the performances by Albert Finney and Audrey Hepburn are often delightful, the film's primary problem is its unevenness. It's occasionally hard to follow, and the mix of happy times and marital discord never quite finds its proper balance.
Overall, there are parts of this film that are fun, but the film as a whole lacks cohesiveness.
Pierluigi P

October 30, 2013
An au courant account -by the swinging sixties' standards- of a relationship and the institution of marriage, shown through all its stages with lots of charm. From a narrative standpoint it might be a bit muddled, but Hepburn and Finney give the right touch of wit, chemistry, cynicism and joie de vivre for all to be pleased.
Jennifer X

May 1, 2011
Albert Finney is sososososo hot. This is what Shoot the Moon wants to be but isn't. I'm glad it ends happily - really, really glad.
dietmountaindew
dietmountaindew

December 10, 2007
"two for the road" is a refreshingly unique example of abandoned gentility from both director stanley donen and demure glamour star audrey hepburn who has impressed audience universally with her princessly benevolent attribute. now both donen and hepburn have to deal with blatant exclamation of sex without descending into vulgarity even at moments audrey hepburn gets scorned as a "BITCH". meanwhile donen has to exert the french new-wave method on a non-linear script without losing his masterful touch.

this is a story upon a couple falling head over heels in love on the journey of hitchhiking along europe continent, entwined with their sizzling chemistry of opposite attraction: an amorous ingenue get smitten with cynical chauvinist who mocks marriage. somehow these two eventually gets married despite the collisions of their living philosophies.

the camera wheels along their conjuring of past memories, and it's like a story book clipped into pieces then pastiched together as the protagonists' threads of thoughts catapult from one ground to another, resonated with french post-structualist literature as the stream-lined time scale has been omitted while our spectrum of emotionality has been excerpted into microscopic inspections. but "two for the road" is incredibly far from self-indulgent eccentricity or disjointed style over substance that has permeated in "thomas crown affair" which is also another new-wave-tinted flick released in 1967.

albert finney is definitely not a debonair like cary grant who has been the frequent lead in stanley donen's romantic drama like "indiscreet" and "the grass is greener" (both movies are very britishly suave), and the rawly sneering mannerism of finney has been a great contrast to hepburn's girlish naivete (even she was 37 then), such as the conversation about "virgin detection", and once again it's also a dialogue-driven movie with timelessly contemporary wisecrackers upon love and sex within marriage. it doesn't appear dated even at 2000s with its bohemian viewpoint upon romance on the road.

once again, audrey hepburn's star magnitude whitewashes the possible sordidness within some serious subject matters in the movie, and that includes infidelity with lines like "i humuliated you, but i'm back!" or "sex is better when it means less because it ain't personal anymore"...the potential abrasiveness gets purified due to the childlike interactions of hepburn and finney even when the couple are committing improper sins, just like their remarks toward each other as "bitch" and "bastard" at the brightful ending of their smacking kisses. there's no sense of profanity but taunting of two kids playing houses.

as for the fashion aspect of "two for the road", audrey hepburn emancipates from her genteel wardrobe of givenchy (who has created the whole hepburn legend in movies like "breakfast at tiffany's" and "sarbrina") to reel into the leisure-wear with leather-skin jacket and blue jeans, along with a beatnik leading man who prefers sex as "good service without binding contract"...perhaps it reflects the conforming phenomenon of the upcoming 70s, even icons of gentility have to demonstrate their cinematic liberations for chicness as audrey hepburn into slacks and stanley donen into road-movie romance without self-composed gentlemen and ladies.
Leigh R

December 12, 2006
This was great. Loved it.
deano
deano

November 28, 2006
Good romantic-comedy and past memories of the couple - Audrey Hepburn (my idol) and Albert Finney.
Michael G

October 26, 2006
A great movie to watch when you get sick of everything that's out now.
Sunil J

September 18, 2009
A glorious romance that is pretty effortlessly put together. I like the balance of good times and bad.
iLeo
iLeo

July 25, 2008
Great!
April 25, 2012
An enjoyable film about the love and adventures of life partners. The best screenplay about marriage that I've been introduced to of late. The costume styles and various vehicles really set the visual tone for the entire film. I love the editing sequences of the different stages of the couple's relationship and of course, the Henry Mancini theme song: a very bittersweet melody.
February 8, 2012
Fantastically edited and superbly acted. This might be Audrey Hepburn's finest performance and her most unusual. This film reminded me a lot of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf", but it wasn't nearly so funny or so bitter. It struck a great compromise between bitter realism and outright romanticism that really worked for me.
kflannelly
June 21, 2010
As long as it was, and as simple as the story was, I never once got bored. Seriously underrated but beautifully nuanced, I think this might be Audrey's best movie.
May 8, 2010
I loved this movie. I'm all about the sarcasm and mean jokes. I also really enjoy the way Audrey Hepburn acts. I have also come to learn that this is one of the first movies of it's kind where the movie jumps between different time periods. I could imagine that was an interesting concept for viewers at the time. hah, I've seen it before and still enjoyed the way the movie was depicted... Hope you like it as much as me!
MiraJean
May 1, 2010
Really incredible film. Stanley Donen perfect what married life is about and truly embodied love and fear of loosing love in this film. A great classic. Albert Finney and Audrey Hepburn's best on screen romances in my opinion. It really only reaffirms my point that modern day Romance films have nothing on classics from the late 60's.
beveric
April 28, 2010
I thought this was very funny and meaningful when i saw it in my 20's but it does have bad language, etc.
August 11, 2008
This is the story of a disintegrating marriage, told by interweaving segments from four different periods in the marriage. The format of the movie, bouncing back and forth between the good times and the bad, requires two actors who can make you believe they young lovebirds in one scene, an angry, bitter middle-aged couple in the next and then new parents struggling to keep the passion alive in the scene after that. Finney and Hepburn respond to this challenge remarkably well. The result is a very powerful and very disturbing movie that reminds us how easy it is to fall in love and how hard life makes it to stay in love.
July 29, 2007
Really touching movie. Though a little dramatic and overstylized the movie still has a lot of heart.
morganrose
January 6, 2007
For the time it was released it feels quite daring for them to be this honest in their portrayal of this couple. A nice piece of work from Finney, Hepburn and Donen.
Cindy C

December 28, 2006
An unknown Audrey Hepburn & Albert Finney gem, showcasing a couple's 25 years together through road trips...if you get this on DVD for V-Day your sweetheart will thank you.
tootsie2582
December 22, 2006
Seems like Breakfast at Tiffany's is everybody's favorite Audrey Hepburn film, but this one is mine. Most also consider Breakfast at Tiffany's her defining role, but I think she does a far better acting job in Two for the Road. I love this movie for its unique and artistic shots, angles, and transitions. The way the story is told is so clever and wonderfully crafted, although which time is which is confusing sometimes. Still, this movie is spectacular and I love it.