• R, 1 hr. 24 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Two Girls and a Guy Reviews

Red L

November 17, 2013
The idea is good - two girls find out by accident that they have been dating the same guy for a year. They decide to confront him. But I didn't find Blake's excuses funny at all - in fact, I wondered what the two girls were still doing at his apartment after the first 15 minutes of the movie at all.
cosmo313
cosmo313

December 4, 2012
Two young ladies named Carla (Heather Graham) and Lou (Natasha Gregson Wagner) strike up a conversation while waiting outside of an apartment building for their boyfriends. It's not long into their conversation when they discover that they are each dating the same guy: a narcissistic and arrogant actor named Blake (Robert Downey, Jr.). Angered and bewildered over his deception, the two decide to team up, break into his apartment, and confront him when he gets home.

I think this is probably what Les Diaboliques might be to an extent if it wasn't a horror/thriller. It's a darkly comedic dramedy about love, lust and commitment in the late 90s, and a really nice and underrated gem.

It's definitely got the vibe of a stage play, mostly due to the minimal cast, and the fact that it takes place entirely in front of or inside Blake's apartment. It was also shot almost totally in sequence and plays out almost completely in real time.

I don't want to spoil how the confrontation plays out, as that's where the joy of the film lies, but I will say that I was surprised by it, and totally didn't know what to expect or where the film was going.

The writing is pretty strong for the most part, though things do slip somewhat near the end. What I really didn't expect from this is how it starts off like a typical fluffy romcom, but ends up being something actually worth of contemplation and serious discussion. Awesome.

It's not perfect, but this is overall a really strong piece of work. It's got great casting and performances, it's about something, and it both entertains and gives the brain something to think about. Well done.
Eric S

January 14, 2012
If you like Heather Graham and/or Robert Downey Jr., you should check this one out. However, this film has it's problems. The story and dialogue seems to go nowhere, and the film pretty much falls flat. I do think there are moments that allow humor from Robert Downey Jr.'s character who's an actor/musician that is clearly all over the place in many ways.
When Carla(Graham) and Lou(Wagner) meet outside an apartment building(brownstone) in Soho(NYC), they start to chat about the guy they are waiting for and the coincidences are just too close.
Heather Graham was my reason for watching any of this, and there is a scene or two worth seeing if you like her as well.
Conner R

February 15, 2011
A completely performance based movie that for the most part benefits from the style. The characters are allowed to develop right before our eyes, which is really the most interesting thing to see in film. Where most movies use time passage as tool, this uses real time and relishes in it. I'm not saying it would work for every movie, but it certainly does in a relationship drama. The scene where RDJ is caught and scrambles for a way out is one of the most uncomfortable put on screen.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

May 6, 2010
Another Selection from the 1997 Toronto International Film Festival. About 2 girls who find out they are dating the same guy, So we spend the next 1hr 33 min of the 3 confronting each other. More of a stage play then a movie. Sad to say only worth 2 stars.
Luke B

March 21, 2009
Pretty much a play or three way conversation captured on film. Downey Jr. is amazing as always. Without him the film may have still been good, but the entertainment factor would have to be turned right down. It seems a fairly honest depiction of infidelity and the "reasoning" behind it. The girls are fairly good, but have trouble keeping up with Robert's smarts. The single apartment setting echoes real life claustrophobia of such confrontational situations. It's a very good film, with a few unnecessary twists towards the end.
Stefanie C

November 2, 2008
robert downey jr is just an amazing actor. both female leads play off one another well and reveal very different connections and personalities in conjunction to him. there is so much that works in this movie: dialogue, setting (including the jules and jim poster), tensions, and an amazing ending. i appreciate this film more on second viewing and ten years later.
deano
deano

February 10, 2008
Robert Downey Jr's charm is the main attraction here, but it's put in the service of a character who is nearly impossible to like.
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 25, 2007
Booooooo.
Beefy
Beefy

May 20, 2007
This was great when it was NC-17.
Michael G

November 20, 2006
Boring and pointless. Graham and Wagner aside.
March 8, 2006
Waste of time and money to make it and rent it. Robert Downey Jr is sexy so that is the only nice thing.
cpkftw
April 19, 2010
if you ever wondered what it would be like turn a play into a feature length film and not be tyler perry then your in luck. this film features dirty sex, long drawn out dialog and robert downey singing and playing piano at great lengths, the coolest thing about this movie its almost all in real time, its worth a view but not something i would recommend putting into your collection
March 1, 2010
I came out of this one thinking what the heck just happened. I like Robert Downey Jr., I think his acting style is one of the best out there and I also like Heather Graham. I think that Graham is in the to five actress out there. It pains me to write such a bad review for a movie with to of my favorites, but its not their fault. The acting was great, all around. But the story sucked. There is nothing to say about the story, it is just about two girls finding out they are going out with the same guy. I was completely let down by this film.
September 3, 2008
I did NOT like this movie. It's not funny, witty or interesting. The plot consists of 3 people arguing about morality, sexuality and relationships. Literally, that IS the whole plot.
September 18, 2008
I made it about 15 minutes in and couldn't take it anymore. The two girls' acting was so painfully horrible, and I usually don't notice that kind of thing. I wanted to watch it so bad for RDJ but I just couldn't. Yuck.
DownBoy
April 27, 2007
this is absolutly my fav anti romance film ever. It shows how real romances are! not like the fake bullsh-t that hollywood spoon feeds us. its witty and funny and has some sex appeal
March 1, 2007
This seemed like a complete waste of time...I think I shouted when the credits started rolling at the end!
zeiko18
January 9, 2007
I like movies wherein people just talk and talk. Could use some of the girl-girl action the dialogue keeps promising, but still a worthwhile enterprise.
April 9, 2006
After this movie, I became a Downey fan for life. His amazing acting capabilities became so apparent after seeing this film. The movie itself is mediocre, but WOW is he great.