Two Thousand Maniacs! Reviews

December 23, 2014
This movie is awesome for 1964, and incredible in its own right.
March 11, 2014
The Final Verdict: While not really offering much beyond it's gore, this one instead is a little easier to watch for it's sense of fun. Fans of similar kinds of films would really enjoy this one, and gore-hounds will also find a lot to like, while those who aren't so high on technically-incompetent films will be put off with this one.
½ October 2, 2013
This is the middle part of Herschell Gordon Lewis' 'Blood Trilogy'. The link between this and the predecessor, Blood Feast, appears to be that there is once again lots of blood on display. I cant really think of many other connections between the two films. This is a slight improvement on Blood Feast, which was fairly dire. The overall production feels less amateurish and although this is still preposterous it does come with the odd grisly laugh.
September 29, 2013
In 1965 Deep South a few carloads of Northerners are sent on a false detour ending up in a small Southern town just in time for their Centennial celebration. They are treated as the guests of honor. When a few of the Northerners go missing the remaining ones start to get suspicious as to the exact nature of the Southern hospitality. Suspenseful, believable and gory - really well done for a horror film from this era and with the limited budget.
September 29, 2013
A Gory B-Movie, With Bad Performances And Plenty Of Violent Scenes, That's Saved From Total Disaster By It's Originality Of The Plot (For The Time It Was Made), & It's Death Scenes.
March 27, 2013
There is something genuinely unsettling about this gory exploitation movie that oddly resembles the classics of Walt Disney
½ May 31, 2009
Georgia town 'celebrates' centennial by luring and killing Northern tourists to avenge Civil War atrocity of 1865. Would be interested to see what a competent director could do with this material; in some ways it is a trailblazer for drive-in exploitation fare that exploded in the 70s.
February 2, 2013
A conveniently placed detour sign on a remote country road lands a group of Northern vacationers right smack dab in the middle of Pleasant Valley's Centennial celebration. The jovial Mayor Buckman invites the newcomers to participate in each of the town's festivities, but what the visitors don't know is that they are being lead to the slaughter as part of the locals' bloody revenge for a Civil War defeat! Herschell Gordon Lewis' drive-in classic TWO THOUSAND MANIACS is a vast improvement over his first gorefest, BLOOD FEAST, complete with a highly imaginative plot and several of the most memorable executions in shock cinema. Of the many carnival games the travelers 'participate' in, the bloodiest include a spiked barrel roll, a four-way horse race, and a smashing game of Hit the Target! The outrageously over-the-top acting and absurd dialog only add to the film's campy charm, but Lewis' no-budget approach to filmmaking produces the same flat results in terms of the actual production. Regardless, TWO THOUSAND MANIACS is the Godfather of Gore's greatest film, and an early milestone in the history of splatter pictures.

-Carl Manes
I Like Horror Movies
December 25, 2012
Hilarious and bloodthirsty - a great cult film--Awesome Early Splatterfest!!
September 12, 2012
bad horror movie that i always liked to watch only for horror classic fans
May 13, 2012
The first very gory realistic movie I ever saw
May 11, 2012
This infamous cult flick seems almost tame by today's standards, and the shoddy production values sometimes make it seem like a (bad) silent movie.
March 31, 2012
Herschell Gordon Lewis' Two Thousand Maniacs! may be low in the gore department, but the story is completely bonkers. A group of southern folk invite people who are passing through town to their annual festival - only to later kill them in some ridiculous ways and eat them afterwards at a BBQ. I actually like stuff like Blood Feast more than I do this. I'm not sure if it's because of the amount of gore in that film compared to this one, but it just seems much more fun than this one. Not that this one isn't enjoyable, but it has some slow areas with character build-up that doesn't go anywhere. The ending is also an obvious conclusion way before you get there to see it. It's all bad in the good way, but mediocre when you look at the rest of Lewis' work.
December 31, 2011
Pleasant Valley: pop. 2000. And they're all pervert maniacs. Another good b-movie (maybe the best with Blood Feast) by Herschell Gordon Lewis.
FilmFanatik
October 3, 2011
½ July 15, 2011
I was surprised that this wasn't as gory as his other movies. The story is good, though, I really liked the ending most of all. As usual the actors aren't great, but they try hard. Overall this was a pretty good movie, if only it didn't shy away from the gory parts.
June 18, 2011
In my top 25 movies i've ever seen definently. A bloody riot (literally).
February 5, 2007
Great movie. This is Herschell Gordon Lewis at his best!