Una noche (One Night) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Una noche (One Night) Reviews

May 5, 2014
Gritty is the fitting word here. Not a happy ending for all....
February 20, 2014
An honest, vigorous portrait of a troubled city, focusing on three youngsters (played by excellent non-professional actors) who struggle to find a way out of their ungrateful lives as they discover their own sexuality - and the last act surprises for its tension and strong ending.
Harlequin68
½ September 9, 2013
In "Una Noche," Lila(Analin de la Rua de la Torre) has always been very close to her twin brother Elio(Javier Nunez Florian) in Havana. That is until very recently when Elio went to work for a restaurant where he befriends Raul(Dariel Arrechaga). Unbeknowst to her, they are preparing to float their way to Miami, collecting supplies as they can before their departure. In the process, Elio ends up very surprised when one of the drugs turns out to be for treating HIV.

As much as it looks like it was filmed on the fly on location(if so, out of necessity), "Una Noche" still comes together for a lyrical and compelling narrative that is also a little rough around the edges which is probably to be expected in its depictions of the underground economy of Cuba. At the same time, the movie is just as interested in the local sights, with some excellent shots in and around the city. Somewhere in between is Lila who takes notice of the constant motion all around her while bemoaning the fact that nobody is going anywhere, a condition which especially affects the country's youth. In fact, the only people going anywhere in Cuba are the tourists and their money.
January 4, 2015
Great movie. Sad at the end. Wild story telling that's a real thing that happens in Cuba. That country is really not clean and wouldn't visit it at all. USA is cleaner and safer.
½ January 30, 2014
A sad reality portrait for the Cuban young generation who are in the search of an exit from an arbitrary and despotic life. These actors made a very natural and innocent performance, the three main characters were incredibly believable. Full of scenic beauty, this story was solid with a surprising ending.
December 29, 2013
"Havana...never change". Those words are the true reality mention in this movie. But the entire movie is truthful. One night replicated the exact reality of the Cuban living in the island. Never gets wrong. Black market, prostitution, poverty level, alcoholism and must of all, the survival instinct. It's have been almost four years since I say good-bye forever and still I feel the pain who lives most of the Cuban citizen still trapped of the island. I know there are few who are still capture in this mad reality and return to try to find closure. Others thinks there not capable to be success in the first world and keep struggling with the misery or try to impress with false achievements . But many like me never will forget the true psychological genocide. Cuba is the living hell.
August 25, 2013
I needed a day to process it, as it took my by surprise in a number of ways. It's a great movie, with a balanced look at the desperation of youth, both in general and in a modern Cuban context. It's not what I expected, and it is essentially a tale of modern urban survival, particularly about living in poverty. The soundtrack is great, the cast was great, and I need to continue to meditate on it a bit more.
½ February 12, 2013
An accomplished first movie. First for both the director and the actors. Creates a good sense of Havana and of the planning, obstacles, and sacrifices made to attempt a crossing to the U.S. - and then the dangers, discomfort, fear, and conflict of the journey. An exceptional cast of young first time actors bring us completely into their world.
½ December 22, 2015
Must watch. Only on Netflix Instant for 24 more hours!
December 15, 2015
A nice Bildungsfilm from Cuba. Sailing 90 miles on a makeshift boat from Havana to Miami. Will their life be any better? Don't know.
August 2, 2015
A beautifully shot and very well acted (amateur cast) film about young people dreaming of escaping Cuba and capturing the energy of life and all its hustling beauty and then has a sad and touching ending.
Very recommended.
May 3, 2015
Great movie- very authentic, being filmed in Cuba and using Cuban actors too. It was nice getting a glance into this mysterious country, but one must not forget, a glance is like watching through a keyhole- it isn't the full view.
January 7, 2015
This beaitufully shot Cuban movie tells of an improbable trio who is trying to cope with daily life in La Havana. Poor but close, twins Elio and Lila manage to help out Raul plan his escape to Miami where he wants to reunite with his long lost father. In their enterprise to flee the country their faith will be tested and their lives changed forever. It's a tough film, sad but beautiful, like the song being sung by this woman all along the film. The cinematography is splendid and the trio of actors is incredibly powerful. A great little film based on true events and bringing a new meaning to the word hope.
January 4, 2015
August 7, 2014
All right film about Havana and it's state at the moment. I don't know if it's authentic, but if it is I would say that Havana is not as idyllic as I thought.

It's easy to see and also easy to understand the feelings from the characters, so the acting is all right I guess. Most of the themes feel interesting and in many ways this is an impressive debut from Lucy Mulloy. The film is like a long, constant build up. Sadly I feel that it could have been a bit more interesting. It bores me after a while. It looks quite nice, but nothing special really. Some unnecessary twists and turns are a bit too much and is ruining more than it's creating.

6 out of 10 rafts.
½ June 12, 2014
Writer-director Lucy Mulloy displays much promise in her first feature, a gritty teen drama shot in Havana with a nonprofessional cast. I say SEE IT!!!
June 7, 2014
Cuba. A police state with free love life, which sometimes is paid for. The Cubans aren't allowed to come too close to the tourists. Nothing to buy in stores, but you can trade with others. Medicine is free, healthcare is free, education is free. Many freedoms, but not to leave your country without risking your life.

Twin couple, there the boy is secretely in love with his best male friend Raoul. Macho culture doesn't let him show it. His sister follows him everywhere, since they were together before life started.

So they all end up in the sea on their way to Miami. This is director Lucy Mulloy's exam work from New York University, but she's already a complete film-maker, who watches and listens and find people a victim of circumstances. Like we all are.
September 25, 2013
"Una noche" is in a way a very familiar story combining realistic depiction of extreme poverty with an intense survival struggle. Lucy Mulloy's directing is innovative, however, and her approach to the story combined with lyrical cinematography breathe life into the movie. The young actors are all convincing as well.

There is a bit of humor in the script, but deep sadness permeates the film, making it a melancholy, thought-provoking whole. Mulloy has previously worked on documentaries, and "Una noche" reflects this with a keen feel of authenticity that is organically supplemented by the lyricism. The city of Havana is gritty, real, yet pulsing with enchanting energy, the sea deadly and endless, yet mysterious in its vastness. Urgent issues of grumbling infrastructure, hungry people and AIDS are addressed, but the focus is on character throughout the movie.

Here's an example of compelling, nuanced and psychologically believable social realism that forces you to think global issues while competently probing the universal teenaged experience. The characters are confused and in the grips of the unstable storm known as puberty. Their existence is perfectly mirrored by the chaotic city that offers no mercy to the unfortunate.
May 14, 2014
A simple and beautiful story.
May 5, 2014
Gritty is the fitting word here. Not a happy ending for all....